Start by marking “Comfort Me With Apples” as Want to Read:
Comfort Me With Apples

Comfort Me With Apples

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Hardcover
Published January 1st 1968 by Little Brown & Company (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Comfort Me With Apples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comfort Me With Apples

Ryan
Nov 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I always like a good Peter De Vries book, but surprisingly I think this was my least favorite. I don’t really know why, but it just seemed like his typical wit, plot twists, irony, and characters full of puns, paradoxes, and satire didn’t gel like they normally do with a cohesive plot in the form of a novel. It was like an exercise in using characters that speak in puns, stringing a whole bunch of ironic scenarios together and calling it “the story.”
It wasn’t terrible by any means, much better
Jill
Nov 21, 2016 added it
I was initially amused with the elaborately cute language of this novel set in the 1950's, but it started to wear thin after the first third of the novel. We follow the main character from high school when he meets a girl that he really isn't crazy about but can't figure out how to ditch here after many years of dating, so they end up married. They're living with their parents because he can't figure out how to make a living, but he eventually falls into the job of the advice columnist for the l ...more
Mary
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially disliked narrator who was snobbish, superior and hypercritical. As book continues, life brings him down to a fat, unsuccessful, but more appreciative person who I came to like. Writing style is rich and very funny.
David Rickert
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but didn't find it as funny as the other De Vries books I have read. "Mackerel Plaza" is the best place to start in my opinion. Still an amusing tale of coincidence and foolishness.
Larry K
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
funny but dated at times. I read one of his other books and liked it better.
Kirsten Fahrenbach
Aug 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish this book. Read the first fifty pages and didn't like the topic about a married woman having an affair. Don't recommend.
Adam
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
You can see the foundation on which the author would build his later, greater works. A few of the throw-away jokes still have me chuckling, though.
Natalie
Nov 21, 2010
Chris Cowie
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Peter De Vries is responsible for contributing to the cultural vernacular such witticisms as "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be" and "Deep down, he's shallow." He was, according to Kingsley Amis, "the funniest serious writer to be found on either side of the Atlantic." “Quick with quips so droll and witty, so penetrating and precise that you almost don’t feel them piercing your pretensions, Peter ...more
More about Peter De Vries...