Start by marking “Rough Terrain (Out of Uniform, #7)” as Want to Read:
Rough Terrain (Out of Uniform, #7)

Rough Terrain

(Out of Uniform #7)

The camping trip from hell may be the first stop on the road to happily-ever-after.

Navy SEAL Renzo Bianchi has a soft spot for Canaan Finley, and not only because the man makes a mean smoothie. He’s the first guy to get Renzo’s motor revving in a long time. But when he agrees to Canaan’s insane charade—one all-access fake boyfriend, coming right up—he never expects more t
Published January 14th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Rough Terrain, please sign up.
Cheryl
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Canaan works at a smoothie shop on a military base, but he has life goals. He's taking care of his grandfather and studying to be a nurse. Canaan used to be the drummer for a band that made it big (or at least bigger) after he left.

But Canaan doesn't regret his decision, nor does he regret ogling the navy SEALs, or one SEAL in particular, who come into the smoothie shop to load up on protein.

Renzo (Rooster to his navy friends) enjoys flirting with Canaan more than he wants to admit. It's
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm a huge, huge Annabeth Albert, but Rough Terrain wasn't my favorite in the series.

I love military men and I love bisexual men, so it's a little puzzling to me why this story didn't click for me like others have. I think the use of the fake boyfriend trope was a little strange here, and, really, not necessary. I actually enjoyed the forced intimacy from the dire situation that happens in the book (no spoilers so no further details), but I think if it wasn't for that, I would have struggled wi
~Mindy Lynn~
4.5 Stars!

This one was my favorite book of the series.

What this book had going for it that none of the others did was the fact that these two men were in an actual relationship. There was no closets to come out of. There was no hiding of the relationship. I loved that. Usually in this series we have to wait until almost the very end for one of the men to get it together enough to admit to their feelings. So this book was quite the relief from all that. Plus it helped that I really loved Canaan
Hollis
ROUGH TERRAIN is another recent read that is slow to boil but with a satisfying end.

I have definitely struggled with the Out of Uniform series as it progressed, and never knew if it was the stories themselves that failed to measure up to the earlier ones or if I was just outgrowing the series, but I feel like this was a really sweet note to end things on. It had a rough (hah) start where things just felt kind of.. young, or less polished, with twenty-six year olds (and older) acting kind of sim
Dia
4 solid stars!

I should start by saying I've read all the previous books in this series. 6 to be exact. I fell in love with the author's writing style and also all the hotness surrounding the SEALs.
Now I just can't believe this is the last book in the series. I don't know where I saw this but if it's true... I will miss this amazing world the author created. Again we revisit some characters from the previous books, but this one can definitely be read as a stand alone.
Renzo and Canaan. They were
Cadiva
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

I write this in a strange state of both joy - at such a lovely romance - and sorrow at knowing this is the final book in what has been a quite outstanding series of military romances from Annabeth.

She chooses to end her Out of Uniform series on a high though and this is a story I didn't know I was needing which gives Canaan (who we last saw in Ben and Maddox's On Point literally coming between the two men) his own complex SEAL with which to fall in love.

I loved Canaan, initially seen as a b
Lyn
Audio - 5 stars
Story - 3.5 stars

I wanted more for the final book in the series. The couples in each book were different, but when I sit back and think about the actual stories, they shared enough in common to be predictable. Overall, I enjoyed the series, but I'm ready for something new and different from the author.
Martin
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't plan on rating this book as I stopped it at the 20%, but apparently the GR app requires stars so I can write a few lines.

I didn't like the overwhelming awkwardness that the beginning consists of, so I don't trust these guys to be a powerful romance couple...

And if I ever a guy has an issue like Renzo, someone needs to put him out of his misery. A life with such an issue sure isn't manageable. LOL.
Fabi
This is #7 in the awesome Out of Uniform series. I haven't missed a single one. In fact, I'm a little early with my review of this one, but I couldn't resist diving in.

BTW, that cover looks a lot like our MCs. :-)

Navy SEAL Renzo Bianchi (Rooster to his team because he's very image conscious) has been enlisted for a decade and is nearing some well deserved training and promotion. The Navy changed Rooster's life in many ways. Not only did it give him a purpose and satisfaction in life, it also cha
.Lili.
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I have some mixed feelings about Rough Terrain. Overall I enjoyed it, but there were some niggles.

Bad news first:

-Fake boyfriend trope is never a favorite but has worked for me before. I didn't enjoy it here. I hated the person it was done for and wished Canaan has just stood his ground.

-I also didn't care for the for the rescue mission. It felt too similar to Tight Quarters except I got a little bore and skimmed some of it in this book.

-I hated most of Canaan's old bandmates. Their lousy beh
Jewel
2.5 Stars

Rough Terrain is Annabeth Albert's 7th and final book in her Out of Uniform series. It pretty much follows the author's formula of likable MCs without getting too deep or angststy.

Canaan is working at a smoothie shop on base while he puts himself through school. He has a bit of a military fetish (who doesn't like a man in uniform?) and when it comes to SEALs, he is fully on board. He's got his eye on one SEAL, in particular, and when he overhears something that suggests that "Rooster" m
Ele
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
This is the seventh and final book in the Out of Uniform series by Annabeth Albert. I have read all seven books, and while book one still remains my absolute favorite, Rough Terrain was a very good finale.

The characters were a pleasant surprise. My first impression of them was completely wrong. I first thought that Renzo was a shallow, muscle dude who spent all his time outside the army in front of a mirror or on Instagram. Not true! In reality Renzo is a very insecure, sensitive guy who’s looki
Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and a B+ for content at AudioGals.

Rough Terrain is the seventh and final book in Annabeth Albert’s consistently entertaining  Out of Uniform  series. It’s always hard to say goodbye to favourite characters and the worlds they inhabit, but it’s a series I revisit regularly in audio as all the books are excellently performed, making it well worth investing the extra time needed to listen as opposed to read them.

We met Renzo “Rooster” (he hates the stupid nicknam
CrabbyPatty
FYI, I've read three books in Annabeth Albert's "Out of Uniform" series and enjoyed them immensely, but after reading more than a few SEAL-related books lately I was a bit burned out with the general theme. But, holy cow, hold the presses ... I loved the everlasting heck out of "Rough Terrain."

The author has a way of taking various plot devices (fake boyfriend and two MCs in peril that brings them closer) that could be overdone in lesser hands and makes them fresh and insightful. Canaan is an a
Ami
Santy
My love for this series started from the very first book, hasn’t waned and with this latest instalment ,wouldn’t be waning any time soon.

Renzo(aka Rooster) is a teammate of Bacon from the previous book and he’s been paired up with the lovely nurse-in-training-slash-punk drummer Canaan.I liked Renzo’s loyalty and adored Canaan’s spirit of adventure(both in and out of bed). They made a wonderful couple and were sexy as hell to boot.

Unfortunately, they both came with baggage(Renzo’s being of the
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2019
Renzo and Canaan

This author is master with conversations and monologues. Not one dull moment

Canaan... dear, sweet and honest... no second agenda... Renzo has to adjust to all the honest actions.
Renzo is very conservative... always on his guard... most of the time I didn’t like him... but on the other side I love it when characters are flawed... so kind of contradicting huh.. I know...
They are far out of each others league but Canaan knows a way to connect with Renzo.
Asking Renzo to go with him
Denise H.
***** Another wonderful story in this amazing series.
* Renzo/Rooster Bianchi, 28, is a big, muscled SEAL

stationed in San Diego. He and his friends stop into a "shake" store to get their rejuvinating protein shake refreshments after training.
* Canaan, 26, a Nursing student who is

a smaller blonde man who lives with his Grandfather, works part time making shakes. The first time he sees Renzo, the Italian SEAL, he gets his attention, because there is something about him that's special.
Renzo,
David Alexander
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: albert
~4 Stars
Adam

The Out of Uniform series sort of crept up on me. Through seven novels and a bunch of short stories, I’ve had a blast reading about these men in uniform and the people they love.

I’ll be sad to see the series go, but ‘Rough Terrain’ ends it on a really good note!

This book brings back two supporting characters from previous books - Renzo (i.e. Bacon’s teammate Rooster), and Canaan (who played a bit of a weird role in Ben and Maddox’s story).

The two men have eyed each other from a distanc
Gabi
Pre-flood:
I really did not like the beginning. Canaan was very pushy and also straightforward, and I liked his honesty, but that combination is very intimidating. But then I started warming up to him. It's refreshing when you don't have to guess what you're love interest thinks and wants, coz he tells it to your face. The dialogue was sometimes awkward however.

Ren was a surprise. I thought he would be more flirty and laid-back, you know, a dudebro. He is quite the opposite. Very self-concious wh
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***ARC courtesy of publisher, via Netgalley, in exchange for a review***
Joyfully Jay
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Rough Terrain is the seventh and final book in Annabeth Albert’s fabulous Out of Uniform series. This series seems to be a reader favorite, and deservedly so, as Albert has created some great characters here and engaging stories that we have followed over the books. Interestingly, while this is the final book of the series, it actually stands alone pretty well compared to some of the others. While we have met Renzo in some previous books, and Canaan has had a very
Nat ReadingAllNite
This is only the second book of this series I’ve read and it was great. The fake boyfriend trope doesn’t always grab me, especially when circumstances feel too contrived but this one felt pretty natural. The d-bag ex boyfriend role didn’t include any drama and he just slinks away into the distance. I did think that Canaan (great name!) was a bit too whiney, questioning everything Renzo said even before the dangerous part, as if he knew nothing about SEAL capabilities. It didn’t seem like it fit, ...more
Catherine
The night before the release of a new Annabeth Albert book is a little like Christmas Eve - you know good things are just one sleep away, but you want them to come now, dammit!

But let me tell you, Rough Terrain was so worth the wait, my friends.

Canaan is the typical guy next door with a twist - a former musician in a C-list rock band, he slings smoothies during the day, studies for his nursing degree in the evenings, spends time caring for his grandfather, and somehow still manages to find tim
Angie Elle
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC from the publisher

Rough Terrain is the seventh and final installment in Annabeth Albert’s Out of Uniform series, and let me tell you - I am not ready to say goodbye. Rarely do I start a series and stick with it promptly enough to be there for every release, but I was waiting on tenterhooks for every installment of this one. I have loved each and every one of these men (to varying degrees,) and been so happy to see them work for their happily ever afters. After all, this series, at its core,
Alisa
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this latest installment of the Out of Uniform series. We've met both of the MC's in previous books albeit briefly. Renzo (aka Rooster) is on Bacon's team and Caanan was the guy who had the threesome kind of thing with Ben and Maddox in their book. (and I might be a little jealous of Caanan for that)

The overall plot was entertaining and I really liked Caanan. His grandfather was also awesome. Renzo on the other hand got on my nerves. He was always worrying and fretting and kind
Eugenia
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, mm, contemporary
Fantastic ending to the series and an amazing narration by Greg Boudreaux!!

Amanda
Rough Terrain gave me all the feels. Renzo (aka Rooster) is so different from what I expected from a proud bi and fitness enthusiast who loves showing off in social media. I don't remember Canaan from previous book that much, but he's a cutie who had a crush on Renzo since the beginning. Canaan can flirt shamelessly, while Renzo can get all embarrassed. Who knew Renzo is such a prude when it comes to sexy talk. When I found out the reason Renzo is so reserve about sex and feeling all insecure ab ...more
Alex
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too bad. I liked this series but this last one. That would be a no for me.

Renzo was NOT a likable character AT ALL. Too self absorbed. I get where his insecurities came from but it was too much and not that well presented.
And his mother... God. Awful!

Canaan was sweet but I thought he was TOO sweet when I wanted him to face Renzo and tell him he was being super annoying...

And to finish, I didn't really felt the connection between the 2...

So. I usually like this author but I guess this one wasn't
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Rank & File (Anchor Point, #4)
  • Brandon's Laughter
  • Barrel Proof (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #3)
  • Counterpoint (Twisted Wishes #2)
  • Loving a Warrior (Loving a Warrior #1)
  • Mad & Marvelous (Sassy Boyz, #4)
  • Detour (Transportation, #1)
  • Rend (Riven, #2)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Darkest Night (Wired & Dangerous, #2)
  • Cash (Lucky, #2)
  • Dedicated (Rhythm of Love, #1)
  • Over and Over Again
  • Pisces Hooks Taurus (Signs of Love, #4)
  • Wild Trail (Clean Slate Ranch, #1)
Frequent tweeter, professional grammar nerd, and obsessive reader, Annabeth Albert is also a Pacific Northwest romance writer in a variety of subgenres.

Emotionally complex, sexy, and funny stories are her favorites both to read and to write. In between searching out dark heroes to redeem, she works a rewarding day job and wrangles two toddlers.

Out of Uniform (7 books)
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
  • At Attention (Out of Uniform, #2)
  • On Point (Out of Uniform #3)
  • Wheels Up (Out of Uniform #4)
  • Squared Away (Out of Uniform, #5)
  • Tight Quarters (Out of Uniform, #6)
“Guys like him didn’t get happily ever afters, at least not yet. He essentially still lived at home, worked a crap job, and was struggling through school at an age when most people were graduated and on with their lives. Maybe things would be different in a few years,” 1 likes