Start by marking “Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!” as Want to Read:
Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!

Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!

(Flubby #1)

Meet Flubby--the lovably lazy feline who prefers a purr-fectly laid-back lifestyle!

Flubby is a big, sleepy cat who refuses to do the things that other pets do. He won't sing, catch, or even jump! But when a scary situation brings Flubby and his owner together, they realize they really do need each other--and that makes Flubby a good pet after all.
Published April 23rd 2019 by Penguin Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!

Start your review of Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!
Sarah Booth
Cute

I would have added that Flubby purrs and gives love to make it 5 stars. It's a cute premise that cats aren't the same as other animals in that they don't usually do tricks but they could have driven their message home about their being affectionate and comforting to pet when you're feeling insecure. I think the story could have gone farther, but it is sweet and it can work on this alone.
Lori
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This children's book compares the cat to other pets who sing, catch, run, and jump. Since Flubby doesn't do those things, the book concludes "Flubby is not a good pet." However, there's a silver lining in a shared need between pet and human. I think the book misleads about cats because cats can do all those things. The singing may not be like that of a bird, and they may only do the other things when not being asked to do them, but cats are great pets. I am happy to see the mutual need element. ...more
Shaye Miller
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Awwww. Cat lovers everywhere will love Flubby, even though he is NOT a good pet. With repetitive text, we learn that Flubby doesn't do any of the cool stuff other pets do, like sing or play catch. Still, he needs his owner and she needs him.

For more children's literature, middle grade literature, and YA literature reviews, feel free to visit my personal blog at The Miller Memo!
Rod Brown
Perfectly fine for cat lovers I suppose, but Flubby does not have enough personality to endear himself to this dog man.
J
Aug 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Lynn
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Funny story for the very newest beginning reader. Simple text and sentence structure, repetition and lots of visual cues. A Geisel Honor for 2019.
Jj
This is a low-level reader for those who are just starting to read on their own, not unlike the Hi! Fly Guy series by Tedd Arnold. The illustrations are cute and the text is simple enough, but it is not particularly engaging. It's certainly a serviceable book that will find some fans--it would be hard to dislike Flubby, unless one truly hates cats--and definitely find some appeal among the young feline frenzy crowd, but not one that I'd particularly recommend or even remember much after awhile.

T
Miss Ryoko
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought this would be a cute book... but I actually took it very personally. I know that wasn't the authors intent, but it really did feel a bit anti-cat, even at the end when the kid realized they loved Flubby. Lol call me a crazy cat lady who took a children's picture book too seriously - at least I can admit to it. Well, the illustrations certainly are cute. And Flubby is a great pet!
Brittany
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is all about how cats are not as good as dogs. At the end, it does say they are good companions, but it is still kind of sad overall because it ends during a bad storm.
Aleah Johnson
Summary:
This is a story about a cat named Flubby. Flubby is a very sleepy and lazy cat with an ambitious owner. His owner tries to get Flubby to do a lot of different things that other pets do, but Flubby does not do any of them. All he does is sleep. In the end, a scary storm approaches them and they realize that although it doesn't seem like it, they both need one another.

Evaluation:
I loved "Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!" because of the ending of the book (and because it was about cats and I love
Laura Fordyce
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Picture book - easy-to-read
Awards: Geisel honor award
Source: http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/...
Audience: Grades K - 2
Response:
This book fits into the picture book category because it is an easy-to-read book which contains many pictures and little text. The text that is included are very simple words.

The author uses space to convey urgency when there is thunder that scares Flubby and Flubby’s owner. Instead of the zoomed-out perspective that is shown in the rest of the story, when th
Becky B
A little girl tries to get her pet cat, Flubby, to do the tricks her friends' pets can do. But Flubby doesn't cooperate. Is Flubby good for anything?

A cute and lightly humorous look at the pitfalls of cat ownership. Theoretically Flubby could totally do several of the things that his owner asks him to do, but he is a cat. They do what they want. But some thunder and lightning reveal something Flubby is good at. Kids who own cats or know a cat well will likely find this funnier. A lot of sections
Stephanie Bange
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first of a new series of beginning readers, this one talks about the relationship with Kami and her cat Flubby.

Kami introduces her pet cat, Flubby, and compares him to the pets of all of her friends with disappointing results. During a thunderstorm, Kami and Flubby realize they both need each other.

Morris uses a diverse group of children with different kinds of animals to populate Kami's friends and their pets. The digital images frame and support this patterned beginning reader. Full of rep
Lisa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kami has a cat named Flubby. Kami's friends all have different pets that do cool things like sing and jump and catch, but Flubby doesn't do any of those things. Flubby doesn't even run. What can Flubby do?

J.E. Morris' illustrations are adorable and so funny. Flubby is everycat - we can totally see our favorite feline in Flubby's reactions, and a bit of ourselves in Kami. This would make a nice early reader, and a fun share.

For this and more of my reviews, visit Kiss the Book at https://kisstheb
Connie T.
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
There isn't much to this story. It would appear that Flubby isn't the perfect pet because Flubby is not a dog, bird, or frog. Rather than focusing on Flubby's "flaws" I would much prefer to see Flubby's strengths showcased. Overall, the story is cute but it's the artwork that makes this book a winner. Anyone who is familiar with cats will recognize all of Flubby's behaviors as depicted in the pictures.
Maddie Crow
Flubby Is Not a Good Pet! by Jennifer E. Morris is a simple read with cute illustrations. The story explains why Flubby, a lazy cat is not a good pet. Since Flubby won't do the silly and fun things other pets do. But a scary situation brings the cat and the owner together, realizing that although Flubby is not the most energetic, the cat is still a good pet. This book is not entirely engaging for the audience, but more of a simple story for the children to begin reading on their own.
Elle Buffenbarger
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute story that points out every stereotypical thing about cats. This girl compares her cat, Flubby, with all of her friend's pets and Flubby doesn't seem as cool. This story shows students that we should appreciate what we have and not compare ourselves to others. I would definitely recommend reading this with a child and explaining to them their uniqueness is what makes them special.
Andrew
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flubby can't sing, fetch, or jump on command. Is this a determination of Flubby's worth? Not to me-- this fluffy, lazy kitty has stolen my heart! His chubby paw beans and wide-eyed meows are his best features; and he's the best snuggler of them all! Any cat lover will simply adore Flubby for exactly who he is.
Jana
The child in this cute picture book has pet envy. Friends come along with their pets who can sing, jump, catch, at do all sorts of amazing things. All this kid's cat will do is lay around and sleep. But before too long, the child realizes that the cat is the perfect pet. Cat lovers will definitely appreciate this book.
Abby Johnson
This is a simple easy reader with a lot of humor comparing a pet cat to lots of other pets and finding it lacking (Flubby doesn't jump, Flubby doesn't fetch, etc.) until the end when child and cat snuggle up together during a thunderstorm. Simple enough for very beginning readers and with enough humor to please a range of ages, this may especially delight young pet owners.
Morgan Allwine
I think this book is a wonderful read for young children. This title offers visual clues and sentence structure that would boost a child's reading ability. The illustrations are very cute and they are very compatible with the text. The children I tutor love students about animals so this would be wonderful for them. It is a cute story of getting to know someone before you judge them.
Christy
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Abigail Monte
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 02-ages-4-7
I dont care for cats, I am quite allergic actually. However, who doesn't love a cat named Flubby? Although Flubby can not sit, jump, or do anything cats actually do, in the end, Flubby and his human work together to show that Flubby has great qualities after all! The story line reminds me of the phrase "if you judge a fish to climb a tree" meaning everyone has something great in them.
Nicola
An enjoyable book to read with emergent readers. Flubby may not be very at playing fetch but they are very good at cuddles.

Miss 5 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
B
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cvtc-kidlit
I found the story to be a little boring, and it felt like it ended abruptly. But it was still cute, and I kind of like the thought that no one has to do anything "special" in order to be lovable and loved. And it even showed that Flubby does do something; he comforts the kid during storms, which I think is a nice message. Overall, it's kind of boring, but I think it's sweet too.
Tompkins County Public Library Youth Services
Flubby is not a good pet and his young owner has listed many reasons. With simple text, delightful illustrations, and humorous descriptions of the grumpy cat, I can imagine that our young readers will eagerly turn the page to find out what happens next and giggle through the whole book. This book is perfect for progressing readers and for storytime.
Marg Corjay
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every pet has its own advantages, you just have to accept them as they are, a lot like people. Flubby is a typical cat and is captured in this book perfectly. Love the easy to read text and lovely illustrations.
Suzanne LaPierre
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flubby can't sing, fetch, or jump. Is Flubby is poor excuse for a pet? In this easy reader, we learn that having a pet is also about caring for another creature, and sometimes mutual caring is what it's all about.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flubby is pretty awesome...and adorable. My almost-five-year-old is IN LOVE! For readers not yet ready for Ashley Spires' Binky the Space Cat series and/or who are all about books featuring cats, this Readers series might be one to try out.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Flubby is NOT a Good Pet by J. E. Morris, PICTURE BOOK. Penguin Random House, 2019. $10. 1524787760

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH
« previous 1 3 next »

• Stop! Bot!
  • Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • The Book Hog
  • A Friend for Henry
  • What Is Given from the Heart
  • The Bell Rang
  • The Paper Kingdom
  • The Book Rescuer: How a Mensch from Massachusetts Saved Yiddish Literature for Generations to Come
  • Birdsong
  • Saturday
Jennifer is an award winning illustrator and children’s book author. She has illustrated picture books, children’s magazines, greeting cards, party ware and educational materials. She authored and illustrated four books for Scholastic. The best selling of which, "May I Please Have a Cookie?" has sold over one million copies.

Flubby (2 books)