Start by marking “Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!” as Want to Read:
Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!

Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!

Meet Flubby--the lovably lazy feline who prefers a purr-fectly laid-back lifestyle!

Flubby is a large, sleepy cat who refuses to do the things that other pets do. He won't sing, catch, or even jump! But when a scary situation brings Flubby and his owner together, they realize they really do need each other--and that makes Flubby a good pet after all.
Published April 23rd 2019 by Penguin Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!

Jj
This is a low-level reader for those who are just starting to read on their own, not unlike the Hi! Fly Guy series by Tedd Arnold. The illustrations are cute and the text is simple enough, but it is not particularly engaging. It's certainly a serviceable book that will find some fans--it would be hard to dislike Flubby, unless one truly hates cats--and definitely find some appeal among the young feline frenzy crowd, but not one that I'd particularly recommend or even remember much after awhile.

T
Lisa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kami has a cat named Flubby. Kami's friends all have different pets that do cool things like sing and jump and catch, but Flubby doesn't do any of those things. Flubby doesn't even run. What can Flubby do?

J.E. Morris' illustrations are adorable and so funny. Flubby is everycat - we can totally see our favorite feline in Flubby's reactions, and a bit of ourselves in Kami. This would make a nice early reader, and a fun share.

For this and more of my reviews, visit Kiss the Book at https://kisstheb
Andrew
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flubby can't sing, fetch, or jump on command. Is this a determination of Flubby's worth? Not to me-- this fluffy, lazy kitty has stolen my heart! His chubby paw beans and wide-eyed meows are his best features; and he's the best snuggler of them all! Any cat lover will simply adore Flubby for exactly who he is.
Jana
The child in this cute picture book has pet envy. Friends come along with their pets who can sing, jump, catch, at do all sorts of amazing things. All this kid's cat will do is lay around and sleep. But before too long, the child realizes that the cat is the perfect pet. Cat lovers will definitely appreciate this book.
Miss Ryoko
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought this would be a cute book... but I actually took it very personally. I know that wasn't the authors intent, but it really did feel a bit anti-cat, even at the end when the kid realized they loved Flubby. Lol call me a crazy cat lady who took a children's picture book too seriously - at least I can admit to it. Well, the illustrations certainly are cute. And Flubby is a great pet!
Suzanne LaPierre
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flubby can't sing, fetch, or jump. Is Flubby is poor excuse for a pet? In this easy reader, we learn that having a pet is also about caring for another creature, and sometimes mutual caring is what it's all about.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flubby is pretty awesome...and adorable. My almost-five-year-old is IN LOVE! For readers not yet ready for Ashley Spires' Binky the Space Cat series and/or who are all about books featuring cats, this Readers series might be one to try out.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Flubby is NOT a Good Pet by J. E. Morris, PICTURE BOOK. Penguin Random House, 2019. $10. 1524787760

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH
Marg Corjay
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every pet has its own advantages, you just have to accept them as they are, a lot like people. Flubby is a typical cat and is captured in this book perfectly. Love the easy to read text and lovely illustrations.
Meg
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cats, children, readers
I'm a fan of the Flubby series. They're easy to read and will hook beginning readers who also happen to be cat enthusiasts (or happen to have a cat at home).
Earl
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
With easy to read text, repeated words, and fun illustrations, this is fun new series for emerging readers.
Kyle Fox
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We love Flubby
Brittany
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is all about how cats are not as good as dogs. At the end, it does say they are good companions, but it is still kind of sad overall because it ends during a bad storm.
Megan McCloud
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Reminds me of my chubby kitty, but he is a good pet!
Julie
Flubby is adorable. This read to me almost like a beginning reader.
Mary Ann
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st, cats, early-reader
I’ve got a soft spot for a lazy cat. Made me giggle.
Katia Wish
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Flubby is such a delightfully grumpy and instantly likable character. By the end of the book the kids would want a pet just like Flubby!
DiAnne Warfield
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Preschool story time 7-9-2019
Stephanie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, jp
Sweet story about the bond between a boy and his cat.
Sarah Davis
It’s cute, but the story is a little underwhelming.
Skippypeanuts
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5. Wrong! Flubby is a great pet! Cute short story great for new readers.
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
Easy and fun beginning reader with a sense of humor. It's a great book series for the child that is just learning to read.

An even better choice for the child that loves cats.
Carol Scrimgeour
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute series at an early reading level with repetitive text.
Gretchen
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-use
Flubby is a great pet because Flubby does what Flubby wants, but Flubby is always there for you when you need him. That's the best part about having a pet.
Edward Sullivan
A laid-back, lazy feline.
Amanda