Start by marking “Starworld” as Want to Read:
Starworld

Starworld

Published April 16th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Starworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starworld

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I read this book from start to finish in just over 3 hours because I got so sucked into the story. I feel like I have whiplash 😳 review to come later when I’ve had more time to actually process what I read!
Adriana
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars

This story is hopeful, bittersweet, hard-hitting, and affirming all at once. The friendship betweeen Zoe and Sam leaves my heart soaring ❤

Also, this book contains:
▪ queer rep (note: this is not an f/f romance)
▪ mental health rep (OCD & anxiety)
▪ adoption rep
▪ developmental disability rep

(And it was all handled extremely carefully, IMO, which I appreciate.)
Kylie Amber
* I was sent an ARC copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review *
The ending fell flat because what was being worked up to flopped and didn’t happen.
Catherine ♡
*Thank you to both NetGalley and LibraryThing for a free copy in exchange for an honest review!*

Actual Rating: 2.5

Hm. I’ve got mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I absolutely LOVE the premise and the idea of all the characters. On the other hand, actually reading the book was a lot less enjoyable for a number of reasons.

First though, a blurb. Starworld is written in two main perspectives. There’s Sam Jones, who lives an invisible life at school and relies on her one and only friend
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

Starworld is a sweet book, told from the points of view of Sam and Zoe. (And incidentally, written by two authors whose work I rather enjoy.) There were definitely wins for me, with a few reservations, so I am just going to break it down as such!

The Wins:

•Holy emphasis on family! This is beautiful, frankly. The times I felt the most emotion while reading is while these two young wom
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This book wasn't bad, but it didn't really live up to my expectations.

I was so ready for this to be all about a girl obsessed with outer space!! And like, it was, but also it was really more just a standard contemporary but with less romance and not much outer space in it at all.

The concept was really good though, and quite unique which I enjoyed.

The characters were okay, but neither of them felt super unique? Which I was especially surprised by, because there were two different authors I expec
Stephanie
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
*loves this book so much* :D :D :D
☼Shannon☼
*is wondering why she thought this was going to be a lesbian romance*

*is thinking about Zoe possibly being asexual*

Zoe doesn't think about sex or how attractive she finds somebody while talking about how much she loves romance. That's what allosexual people do, right? I might be reading into it though.

*is wondering why she didn't see the thing coming*

*is thinking about Zoe being adopted and her feelings about it*

My dad was adopted and never wanted to meet his birth parents. I understand that its
Erin
What an adorable story.

Starworld is the first novel I’ve read by either author, and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it much more than I though I would.

The fantastical elements of ‘Starworld’ as designed by Sam and Zoe were outstanding. And the care and sensitivity with which each of their family’s issues were covered was masterful. The authors were clearly well-researched and informed.

The relationship between Zoe and Sam was also beautiful. With some people you just click, the
Emily (emilykatereads)
Well, looks like 2019 will be the year I don't waste time on books I'm not enjoying.

I DNF'd this one at page 102. Although, I did skip to the end and read most of the last 50ish pages so get the idea of where everything went. And yknow what, I'm totally fine that I gave up on this one. This is one I requested because I loved another book I read by Audrey Coulthurst, and I saw that this one looked sapphic... and well, It didn't pull through the way I'd hope. I'd say this definitely features a gi
Stephanie
DNF at 23%. I just couldn't get into this book at all. I think it will have a very specific audience that will love it, but I am not that audience. I found it kind of depressing and quirky and other than the very pretty cover, I don't really have anything positive to say about it and I really couldn't make myself read anymore. I found Sam incredibly off-putting. I found the writing in her chapters especially were just not my style.
Honora Quinn
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
I got this book as an arc and did not know what to expect
wowie
I got really into this book until it depressed me like a truck to the face.
I enjoyed the characters and Sam and Zoe were so amazing but the ending just killed me.
A lot of it killed me
the premise over all was so cute and sweet and friendshipy that I fell in love but it also broke my heart at the end. I know this is a stand alone but it left me with a want for more of the starworld created. Thinking back I enjoyed it and it depresse
mahana
Sapphicathon: Read a book with a cover you love & Read a book where the romance isn't the focus

storytime: i was robbed of the 2 days it took me to read this
Kait Goodwin (Kait Plus Books)
*hopes you enjoy this book as much as I did*

Full review to come at kaitgoodwin.com/books! 😊
Carmen
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, young-adult
Starworld by Audrey Coulthurst, Paula Garner

I received a copy from Candlewick Press through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sam Jones is a loner intent on staying invisible and hiding her feelings. Referring to herself as a robot, she’s content with flying under the radar until she graduates and escapes her home life. Everything changes when she’s noticed by one of the popular girls at her school, Zoe Miller. On the surface, Zoe is perfect and has her life together. Sam can’t fathom w
Kiki Cole
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the cover to the characters to the hidden secrets buried behind two characters’ facades, this upcoming novel explores the depths of emotion and mental illness. OCD, anxiety, adoption, and mental disease are some of the main focal points of this diverse read. I thought it was so beautiful and geeky, but the ending kind of dented my heart in terms of how unexpected it was. I would definitely have hoped for a way different ending, but I guess it worked out in a decent way. The relationship bet ...more
Casia Courtier
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, thank you to the publisher and Jean Book Nerd for the copy of Starworld. Second, there was no compensation in the making of this review and everything that follows is my opinion and mine alone.Oh. My. God. Hardly ever is there a YA contemporary that pulls me in every direction, where I can relate to almost all of the characters. I believe the one last year was Eliza And Her Monsters. This year though has to be Starworld.Starworld is a book about two girls who hide from the world in their ...more
Esha Dickson
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
TW: cancer, adoption, OCD, anxiety, developmental disability.

I received an eARC from NetGalley.. Sam Jones lives under the radar and Zoe Miller puts up walls to maintain her people-pleasing status. Both girls are struggling with elements of their home lives. When their paths cross, Sam and Zoe find comfort in each other and in the new world they create - Starworld. But when Sam begins to have feelings beyond friendship for Zoe, their new world may not survive the inevitable explosion.

I requested
Manon
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, lgbtqqiap
*4.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Since her dad left to live in England, Sam considers herself a robot, no emotion, no attachment, the only exception being her best friend, Will. She barely interacts with anyone other than him and her mother and it's not like she can have people over anyway...
Zoe's life is perfect. At least, that's what she wants everyone to believe. Her boyfriend is great, her parents love her, she's pretty much already admitted int
Eve beinguniquebooks
When Zoe approaches Sam to get her to help the school play, they have no idea of what's to come.

Sam's best friend Will is also shocked as he used to fancy Zoe and she never noticed them before now.

Zoe however has a lot to deal with, her mum has breast cancer and has to contend with the realities of that.

Yet both girls have a lot to learn about friendship and love as well as their family dynamics being solved at last if they can.

A pain filled emotional novel as well as being very touching and goo
Elizabeth Mellen
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-voices
This was good - I think if I was in the target demographic it might’ve been a 5, but the “Starworld” aspects, while very real to my high school awkward chatting online phase, wasn’t fun for me to read. The rest of the story, though, was compelling and the girls’ varying difficult family lives kept me reading to see how they’d deal. My heart was broken in parts, because I get what it is to be awkward on top of teen angst on top of hard family life.
Nicole
Mar 29, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-tbr
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review to come soon!
McKinlay Dennis
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 stars] RTC
Jill
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books

High school is a hard time, but having a mother with cancer and a disabled brother, or struggling to understand your sexuality while navigating your mother’s OCD makes high school even harder. So, when Zoe, a popular girl, and Sam, an art savant struggling to stay invisible, develop an unlikely friendship something extraordinary is bound to ensure.

Hold on to your heart as Starworld takes you to another galaxy, in this enchanting tale of friendship, love and finding one’s self. I don’t know that
Chelsea Marie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own, arc, fiction, ya, lgbt
If you read the description of this book and get all excited by the potential lady loving lady vibe, do not pick up this book. I feel like I've been queer-baited into reading this, and it made me super angry.

(view spoiler)
Jess Walker
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am well and truly in a book hangover here..

I started this book as my first ever ‘second read’. I read the book on the Kindle app on my iPhone and intended to read it during breaks at work and just casually on the go. Well, it’s safe to say that I could not just read this book casually, I couldn’t stop thinking about it! Starworld became my escape and I couldn’t help but abandon all of my other reads to carry on this crazy story.

Audrey Coulthrust is one of my favourite writers and I love how s
Megan Manzano
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review to come, but I loved this book. It was a super quick read that explored strong friendships, geekdom, and discovering your sexuality. Paula and Audrey really create a fantastic writing duo!
Leah
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019, ya
Cassandre
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Synopsis
Sam Jones and Zoe Miller have one thing in common: they both want an escape from reality. Loner Sam flies under the radar at school and walks on eggshells at home to manage her mom’s obsessive-compulsive disorder, wondering how she can ever leave to pursue her dream of studying aerospace engineering. Popular, people-pleasing Zoe puts up walls so no one can see her true self: the girl who was abandoned as an infant, whose adoptive mother has cancer, and whose disabled brother is being se
Amber
Right off the bat, I’m in love with Starworld.  This unexpected novel pulls so many of my heartstrings. I am absolutely one of those humans who likes finding people in books I can relate to, and from page one, Sam Jones was my girl.

Things I like about Sam:
- She hides in Art Class.
- She’s terrified of humans and still texts like the most amazing nerd ever.
- She hides in bathroom stalls for peace and quiet when the world is too much.

If that were all there was to it, I’d be a fan of this book, beca
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • An Impossible Distance to Fall
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • Going Off-Script
  • The Madness Blooms
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • Children of the River Ghost
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • The Meaning of Birds
  • Full Disclosure
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • When We Were Magic
Audrey Coulthurst writes YA books that tend to involve magic, horses, and kissing the wrong people. Her debut novel, Of Fire and Stars, was published on November 22, 2016 by Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins. When she’s not dreaming up new stories, she can usually be found painting, singing, or on the back of a horse.

Audrey has a Master’s in Writing from Portland State University, is a member of SCBWI, an