Start by marking “The Boys in the Cave: Deep Inside the Impossible Rescue in Thailand” as Want to Read:
The Boys in the Cave: Deep Inside the Impossible Rescue in Thailand

The Boys in the Cave: Deep Inside the Impossible Rescue in Thailand

From award-winning ABC News Chief National Correspondent Matt Gutman, and written using exclusive interviews and information comes the definitive account of the dramatic story that gripped the world: the miracle rescue of twelve boys and their soccer coach trapped in a flooded cave miles underground for nearly three weeks—a pulse-pounding page-turner by a reporter who was ...more
Published November 13th 2018 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Boys in the Cave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys in the Cave

Terri
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Matt Gutman admits the book was pitched 5 days after the rescue ended and in-depth articles had not been written so there was no frame of reference for the story; his rush to publish is reflected in the number of errors in the book.

From how the kids drank water while trapped (they didn't drink from the flooded cave waters as stated in the book, but from the stalctites), to misspelling the name of a British diver throughout the book; the transcript of the exchange between the British divers and t
Onceinabluemoon
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 rounding up. I was overwhelmed with this news event, I could barely breath until everyone exited the cave for days, this book had my anxiety level sky rocketing again even though I knew the outcome! With loads of behind the scenes info I read this in one sitting, snapping at my husband to be quiet if he dare talk to me as I was plummeting deep in the cave in the cold silty waters medicating comatose kids! Frankly, I could use a stiff drink now, the book was an adrenaline rush for me!
Annika
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book with detailed information surrounding the geographical, medical, physical, political, and emotional trials the rescue team(s) faced in getting the 12 Thai boys and their coach from the flooded cave in summer 2018.

There are details and angles of the story that mainstream media perhaps didn't know, or missed, in reporting when the ordeal was taking place. It's so easy for couch warriors to say "Well why didn't they just drill them out!" or some other similar response. Thi
Hannah
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Like many people around the world, this story fascinated me. I remember watching it on the news and praying for the boys. As with all news stories, you catch snippets and see just one small portion of the whole story. So I was excited when I found this book.

The trouble with this book is that it gets a little bogged down in the middle. For a prologue, you are with the divers as they first encounter the soccer team who have been trapped at this point for 10 days. Then you go back to the fateful da
Sue
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't read much non-fiction but this book caught my attention because I was so interested in their rescue while it was happening. It was a very interesting book and gave a lot of behind the scenes information that had not been available during the rescue.

Back in June, 2018, we first learned about the Thai soccer team - 12 young boys and their coach - were trapped deep in a cave. Authorities knew that they were in the cave because they found their bikes and backpacks but they had no idea where
Karen
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I don’t read much nonfiction, so this is a little out of my routine. I needed something to listen to on my drives and this was available. It is a fascinating story and I had no idea how complex the situation was as it was unfolding in real life. I’ll try more nonfiction in the future.
Ko Matsuo
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was enamored by the news stories of the 12 boys who were trapped in the cave in Thailand this past summer. Conceptually I thought I understood the complexity. However, this book helped me realize how something so harmless could suddenly turn so dangerous and how utterly amazing it is that all 12 boys as well as everybody else got out alive. The overlapping themes of politics, religion, expertise (medical and cave diving), and the unpredictability of weather conditions were fascinating and crea ...more
Mary
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Since I already knew the outcome, I wasn't sure this book would be very interesting. However, the author does an excellent job of recounting how the people involved in rescuing the boys and their coach figured out what to do and carried out their plan. I had no idea how challenging it was to get them out. They NEVER expected to get them all out alive. At most, they thought they might save 50%. A true miracle. It was also amazing how well the boys coped in a tiny space with no food for 10 days an ...more
Nadina
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
As one of the first books written about the Tham Luang Cave rescue, and published only about 4 months after the rescue, this book was comprehensive and interesting without being overly repetitive.
The whole situation was incredibly emotional regardless of how it was written, however, I think this was well written in that the emotions came through with the reading and I found myself tearing up quite frequently.
I am glad that no one was blamed for the situation in the book, and I find myself frust
Stephan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I heard about a teenage soccer team whom were trapped deep in a cave in Thailand, I wondered "how in the hell did they get in there?" Then as the rescue attempts became an even bigger head scratcher I wondered why was it taking so long. This book, written by one of the newscasters on scene since the beginning, delivered those answers. The boys were cave exploring with their coach, and completely unaware of the rain outside became trapped when the path leading to the outside world was filled ...more
Susannah
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is so incredible, I still can’t quite believe it really happened. I was glued to my phone last summer, looking for any updates on the boys and their rescuers. When the final mission was underway, I’d hold my breath each morning as I looked to see how that day’s efforts had gone 15 hours ahead on Thailand. I’m pretty sure I cried when the rescue ended with only one fatality. I was so stoked to read this account and for the most part, it did not disappoint. The writing did feel a bit ru ...more
Rebecca
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clearly, the publication of this book was a bit rushed, but the story is amazing. I learned a lot about caves, cave diving, and Thai culture, in addition to all the details of the rescue itself.

Matt Gutman is not the greatest writer. His editor was not the best, either. The paragraphs were poorly constructed and there were a few too many dangling modifiers. But let's be honest - I wasn't here for great writing, but to read an amazing real-life adventure, and that's what this is.

I had a thought w
Stephanie Spiller
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite the authors attempts at adding colorful descriptors a la Rita Skeeter's Quick-Quote Quill... " He was a sinewy mountain climber who had lived in Thailand for seventeen years..and possessed a voice that could easily have made him Nicolas Cage's voice double", this was absolutely captivating to read. I might be partial, since I spent 10 days on a trip lead by CMRCA with Nic Cage's voice double leading the way. The way CMRCA staff was described seemed in line with my experiences, and I am h ...more
Marianne
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Riveting! Very informative about the behind-the-scenes drama--both political and strategic. When I finished this book, I started reading it again from the beginning--knowing that I hadn't grasped all of the details I needed for complete comprehension. The second time around, I was able to fully appreciate the extreme dangers of this cave AND the awful bad luck that landed the boys stranded inside. I applaud this author for keeping his book balanced with both sides of the story when there was a c ...more
Caleb Young
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was not a story i followed on the news, mainly because i wasn't around to see the rescues and stuff because i was at summer camp and we didn't have t.vs and no one was aloud to bring their phones so when my mom picked up this book from the library, i said it was a must read for me. Some of the thing i had already knew about but i knew very little about them. This book Wasn't boring giving you straight up information Matt made it real interesting to read.
Susan
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was riveting. It is written in such detail that I could almost sense what it would have felt like to be inside the cave trapped, or as a rescuer. This is a story of a miraculous, seemingly impossible, rescue, bravery, and the human strength and perseverance to fight against all odds. I admire the participants, and the leaders in this amazing story for their bravery and willingness to risk everything to save these courageous boys.
Heather  Erickson
Surely they will make a movie!

What an amazing story of bravery and, frankly, a miracle. The men who sacrificed so much to bring the boys in the cave, safely home, are all heros. Even though I closely followed the events as they were unfolding on the news, like the rest of the world, I had no clue of the drama that was happening behind the scenes. This is an awe inspiring story that I highly recommended.
Lynne
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even though we know what happened last summer by watching the news, this book was still an "edge of your seat" story! I had so many questions about how the rescue took place that were fully explained in the book. The full story proves that the rescue was even more of a miracle than was gathered from the news reports. So many behind the scenes details about the real heroes of the rescue. Wonderful account.
maryellen meleca
Amazing!

I’m so glad to have read this book. I can now truly appreciate all that happened during the search and rescue for the boys and their coach. Also the amount of effort; knowledge, skill and just plain human decency on the part of the team of rescuers to never give up on the team is amazing and a lesson to us all.
It’s very well written and researched. If you followed the rescue at all, you owe it to yourself to read the whole story.
Mercedes Faust
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well despite the military, politicians and well wishers, the boys were saved. It was a great book about getting things done in spite of the higher ups and competing values.

Everyone was determined to rescue the youth. It is too bad that this much effort cannot be placed on the other injustices done to children in the world.
Susan
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It's well written and a very gripping read. What a Herculean effort to first find and then rescue 13 souls. I had followed the news when it was actually happening, but Matt Gutman's book really takes a deep dive (pun intended) into what and who it really took to get those boys and their coach out. Heroic and a little miraculous.
Krys Hammond
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this! I heard about the cave rescue, of course, but I rarely watch television and most of my knowledge of the rescue came via criticism of Musk’s involvement and then searching news sites to try and figure out what was going on.

If you’re looking for a good recounting of what happened, this is a great place to start. :)
David Syzdek
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting story

Well told tale about the 2018 boys soccer team trapped in a water-filled cave. As a newly certified cave diver, I was wondering about the technical details of the rescue. This book had the technical details, but also the human story of managing a an extremely complicated and deadly situation.
Neil
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
During the time this Thai soccer team was being rescued, authorities kept a lot of information from the public. This book opens all that up and shows exactly how dangerous this rescue operation was. That all the boys - and their coach - survived the rescue is amazing. Good reporting and good writing makes this one of the better non-fiction books you can pick-up.
Michelle Ule
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book telling a riveting story!

Like many, I followed the Wild Boar story while it happened and prayed for them.

This such an excellent tale of what happened behind the scenes, in the scenes, and as a result of so much dedication and hard work on the part of so many experts.

Terrific!
Jenn
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was simply amazing! You never know what goes on behind the scenes of something like this and Matt described it perfectly.

I wish I could give this book more then 5 stars! The audiobook was amazing as well
Rachelle Pearson
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be fascinating. I had heard about the story on the news when it happened but I had no idea just how unlikely this rescue was. It was so interesting to hear just how complicated this was to pull off.
Rachel
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: jan-19, non-fiction
This story is still fairly new especially to the book fans. The story had a lot of repetitive details that got a little old, but the story itself is an amazing rescue story well worth the time to read. A bit of foul language their in as well.
Khepre
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A excellent in depth look at the rescue process of getting the boys out the cave while at the same time not forgetting the boys in their own story by sharing their thoughts while trapped in the cave.
Derek Tan
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enthralling read !
  • Coming Back Alive: The True Story of the Most Harrowing Search and Rescue Mission Ever Attempted on Alaska's High Seas
  • Last Man Out: The Story of the Springhill Mine Disaster
  • Sole Survivor: A Story of Record Endurance at Sea
  • Savage Will: The Daring Escape of Americans Trapped Behind Nazi Lines
  • Four Miles To Freedom: Escape From A Pakistani POW Camp
  • The Cat Behavior Answer Book: Practical Insights & Proven Solutions for Your Feline Questions
  • The Last Run: A true story of rescue and redemption on the Alaska seas
  • The Climb Up to Hell
  • Rescue of the Bounty: Disaster and Survival in Superstorm Sandy
  • The Deep Dark: Disaster and Redemption in America's Richest Silver Mine
  • Torn in Two
  • Dry Guillotine: Fifteen Years Among The Living Dead (A Berkley Medallion Book)
  • 33 Men
  • Beyond the Deep: Deadly Descent into the World's Most Treacherous Cave
  • Now the Hell Will Start: One Soldier's Flight from the Greatest Manhunt of World War II
  • The Forger: An Extraordinary Story of Survival in Wartime Berlin