Start by marking “The Rise of Kyoshi” as Want to Read:
The Rise of Kyoshi

The Rise of Kyoshi

F. C. Yee’s The Rise of Kyoshi delves into the story of Kyoshi, the Earth Kingdom–born Avatar. The longest-living Avatar in this beloved world’s history, Kyoshi established the brave and respected Kyoshi Warriors, but also founded the secretive Dai Li, which led to the corruption, decline, and fall of her own nation. The first of two novels based on Kyoshi, The Rise of Kyo ...more
Published July 16th 2019 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about The Rise of Kyoshi, please sign up.
Brent There's already a sequel planned for this book, following Avatar Kyoshi's adventures later in her life, but that's it for now.

Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
If you think I'm not going to scream in excitement until I have this in my hands...you are wrong.
~vatana~
Aug 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
Guess who’s crying at 2 AM.
The Artisan Geek
Mar 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
29/3/19
I AM LITERALLY SCREAMING YOU ALL! Avatar literally meant the world to me as a child and I have always wanted to know more about Kyoshi and her life, she was just such a freaking badass woman! I can't wait!!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
milou  ☁️
I AM SCREAMING!!!! WHAAAAAT??

a review to come when i can make proper sentences again
Sana
Sep 01, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
HOLY YES! I haven't even seen ATLA yet (for shame) and I already know that F.C. Yee is the perfect author for this.

Also, not only are we getting this next year but also The Iron Will of Genie Lo. WHAT A GIFT
Janina
Shelves: most-anticipated
this is the best news i got all year pals
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
I would go on a three year journey to regain my honor for this book
Ryan Samarakoon
Aug 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
Buying this instantly. It's not over!
Drew Salas
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!

I NEED THIS!!

GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME
Hesione
Sep 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
like this is literally the author combo of my dreams
(still would rather have iron will of genie lo before getting this one, especially since I disagree with some of Kyoshi's decisions, but still)
Briana
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The Rise of Kyoshi has big shoes to fill as a prequel novel to the beloved television series Avatar: The Last Airbender and as an origin story of one of the most popular Avatars. I looked forward to its publication with both immense excitement and pointed skepticism; members of any fandom know how difficult it can be for a creator to add work to an existing canonical world that lives up to the spirit of the original and stays within the bounds of that canon, expanding it in ways that are logical ...more
Lisa
Sep 01, 2018 marked it as in-my-wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: out-in-07-19
DON'T MIND IF I DOOOOOOO-
Crystal
Shelves: coming-soon, 2019
I’m about to pee myself I’m so excited for this
Rosie
Sep 28, 2018 marked it as not-released  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh I was literally just saying to my friend that I'd love to know more about Avatar Kyoshi and then I found this!!! I'm pretty late to finding out but oh my gosh am I so excited!!!
Amanda Thompson
Sep 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
<3 <3 <3
please please please please PLEASE live up to ATLA standards, because I so need this in my life!
˗ˋˏ all my crooked spines ˎˊ˗
i hate people giving books five stars before they've even read them, but this is avatar

honestly both buffy the vampire slayer and avatar the last airbender are both getting iconic revivals this year and honestly i'm like 100% this is how god intended the world to be when he moulded it

i'm literally crying wig wig wig wig wIG WIG WIG WIG WIg wig
The Nerd Daily
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Jakob Andreasen

Fans of the critically acclaimed television show Avatar: The Last Airbender will fall head over heels with The Rise of Kyoshi by F.C. Yee. Weaving the story of a much loved character, Avatar Kyoshi, Yee has conjured a unique perspective on an already well established world and takes what we know and love, from the source material, and adds new elements of interest.

I should preface this review by saying that I am a fan of the sourc
John
This is a monumental task in itself- taking a protagonist from a popular medium whose history has only been hinted at and bringing them to life within their own story.  Literally building them from the ground up based upon a set of cornerstones.  F.C. Yee does a very fine job of presenting the tale of Kyoshi- one of the most prominent Avatars in the storyline.  Previously the only one we'd really gotten into was Roku, the Firebender who stood beside Tozin up until the Great War began.

With so m
Lauren
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every avatar has their own story, and while we fans are pretty familiar with Aang's and Korra's, we can't really say that about the ones who came before them; particularly Avatar Kyoshi. She was admired yet feared and pursued justice by any means necessary. That's why I give mad props to F.C. Yee for taking on both daunting tasks of 1. writing the first novel set in this universe and 2. crafting her origin story.

I think it's fair to say that while "Avatar: The Last Airbender" had its dark momen
Avrelia
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As any tie-in novel The Rise of Kyoshi is basically a fanfiction. I am not sure whether a person unfamiliar with the series Avatar the Last Airbender and the Legend of Korra would enjoy it. But it’s a really good book, and I, as a fan enjoyed it very much.

Beside the story itself, there is a wealth of information about the world of Avatar, some confirming what fans were discussing, some new and unexpected, there are some easter eggs – hints and in-jokes that makes one smile.

The story obviously c
TheBookSmugglers
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
ONE MILLION STARS

This was so so good, it develops Avatar lore further, it shows the incredible arc of Kyoshi's beginnings as Avatar and it is so different to Aang and Korra, I can't even. She is so badass - and her love story with her bff Rangi (a female firebender and her bodyguard) is SO CUTE OMG.

This is fucking dark too and full of personal loss. I cried MULTIPLE TIMES but this is par for the course with Avatar stories obvs, I cried pretty much in all episodes of The Last Airbender so this c
Nina
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. Since it takes place relatively early in Kyoshi’s life, compared to her multiple-centuries-old self that we see in the show, her character starts off very different from the confident badass you might expect. That was a little bit of a surprise to me, to see how different she starts out, but honestly I like that even better, because we get to see how she changes and develops into a much stronger person over time.
Also, I LOVED all of the new characters. The plot was good too, b
Jamie
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Rise of Kyoshi. As much as I loved the Gaang, when a fictional world has as much rich lore and history as the one in ATLA, I am always desperate to know more. I have picked up histories of Westeros and The Four Lands and Thra and devoured every single one of them. This isn’t just a story about Kyoshi; it’s a story about the politics of the Earth Kingdom, as well as a look at how previous Avatars may have been trained. Because of her self-imposed exile, she is forced to searc ...more
Nikita Afsar
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm.so.excited. Avatar The Last Airbender is without a doubt my favourite tv show ever, it's literally perfection in my opinion and the fact that this books is coming out in 2019, that I'll be able to hold it in my hands and cherish it forever is making me so happy. I can't wait. I'm probably gonna scream, cry, fucking die. I'm so not ready but then again I am. Normally I hate it when I see people rate a book that hasn't even been released yet and they haven't received and arc (btw hit me uppp) ...more
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I laughed, I cried, I yelled. This book was an incredible add on to the Avatar universe we know and love. I would highly recommend reading for those who are interested in seeing the life of the Avatar in a new light. There is war, there is death, and there are consequences for actions taken.

Avatar Kyoshi has a special place in my heart for the experiences she goes through. They shape her into the person we see her as in the previous series. Powerful and driven to do justice.

Looking forward in a
Chrissie G
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
While this book is definitely for ATLA fans, since Kyoshi is two cycles before Aang I feel like anyone could go into this without knowing the Gaang. But it was so fun to read about how Kyoshi became one of the fiercest avatars in history! I can't wait to read the next one. F. C. Yee did such a wonderful job with the characters and the world building. It's a wonderful addition to the ATLA world.
Robert Lee
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this more stars I would! It gripped my attention all the way till the last page. This story gives us a much more realistic approach to how the Avatar World works and how physically demanding it is to be a bender. Scenes were so easy to visualize after already seeing Last Airbender/Korra. I loved it.
Mari
Jul 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbt-tbr
Me five minutes ago; sure.... I’m interested enough, I love Avatar, maybe someday I’ll read it.

Me, four minutes ago, remembering Kyoshi was bisexual and (it seems, according to a review) in a relationship with a woman; hold my fucking beer and let me get my bisexual ass out of bed to get this. I need this now.

What can I say? I’m trash for good LGBT rep.
Salome
Oct 04, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i know it's not all about romance and falling in love and lgbt rep and all and u can BET i am excited as hell to read about miss kyoshi... but she was confirmed bi in turf wars and if i dont get to read about her falling in love with another woman then what, pray tell, is the point
Tian Gao
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's as good as you think it is.

• Full Disclosure
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Gravity of Us
  • I Wanna Be Where You Are
  • Instant Analysis: How to understand and change the 100 most common, annoying, puzzling, self-defeating behaviors and habits
  • Harley in the Sky
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Borderland
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part One (Imbalance, #1)
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
F.C. Yee is currently the author of THE EPIC CRUSH OF GENIE LO. He will hopefully be the author of more YA books in the future.