Start by marking “The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)

The Rise of Kyoshi

(The Kyoshi Novels #1)

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  6,266 ratings  ·  1,109 reviews
F. C. Yee’s The Rise of Kyoshi delves into the story of Kyoshi, the Earth Kingdom–born Avatar. The longest-living Avatar in this beloved world’s history, Kyoshi established the brave and respected Kyoshi Warriors, but also founded the secretive Dai Li, which led to the corruption, decline, and fall of her own nation. The first of two novels based on Kyoshi, The Rise of Kyo ...more
Published July 16th 2019 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about The Rise of Kyoshi, please sign up.
Paige No. This book tells Kyoshi's origin story very well. Given that this is a prequel, I would say you don't need to know too much about the Avatar univer…moreNo. This book tells Kyoshi's origin story very well. Given that this is a prequel, I would say you don't need to know too much about the Avatar universe at all.

To understand this book I would say you only need to have introductory knowledge of the bending arts, the four nations, and the role and capabilities of the Avatar. (less)

·  6,266 ratings  ·  1,109 reviews

Start your review of The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
may ➹
Avatar Kyoshi if you see this I’m free Thursday night are you free Thursday night so I can take you out on Thursday night if you’re free I’d like to hang out Thursday night please message me back if you’re free Thursday night when I am free

—★—

Reasons you should read this book:

Kyoshi and Rangi. Kyoshi and Rangi. Genuinely one of my favorite fictional relationships of the year, probably. This is a f/f romance (bisexuals won with Kyoshi!), and I truly cannot believe a cis man wrote it because it is
TheBookSmugglers
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
ONE MILLION STARS

This was so so good, it develops Avatar lore further, it shows the incredible arc of Kyoshi's beginnings as Avatar and it is so different to Aang and Korra, I can't even. She is so badass - and her love story with her bff Rangi (a female firebender and her bodyguard) is SO CUTE OMG.

This is fucking dark too and full of personal loss. I cried MULTIPLE TIMES but this is par for the course with Avatar stories obvs, I cried pretty much in all episodes of The Last Airbender so this c
vatana 🦋
Aug 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
Guess who’s crying at 2 AM.
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
If you think I'm not going to scream in excitement until I have this in my hands...you are wrong.
Rose Stewart
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wlw-recs
What I expected: another epic saga detailing the origins of one of the show's most compelling past Avatars.

What I got: BE GAY DO CRIME
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
“What you do when no one is guiding you determines who you are.”

representation: bisexual rep, f/f relationship, own voices asian inspired world and characters, super tall MC.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 4 . 5 s t a r s *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Avatar: The Last Airbender is my favourite show of all time, so reading a cannon story about our bisexual queen, avatar kyoshi???? YES PLZ. And this was so good!!! A couple of things that happened act
;3
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
when i finally get an animated series for this then u will see. then u will ALL see
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Avatar fans, listen up: READ THIS BOOK.
The Rise of Kyoshi is bloody brilliant, and 10/10 will make you want to watch the animated series.

- Follows Kyoshi as a teen and her tumultuous journey of growing into her destiny as the Avatar.
- The story expands the worldbuilding, lore, and politics surrounding the Avatar. I really enjoyed this and it made me miss the Avatar universe SO MUCH. (so much, in fact, that I started rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender -- which was ultimately to my benefit be
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
This was like an Avatar: The Last Airbender episode...but as a book.

A lot of times I feel books based on franchises are a bit mediocre. I tend to not gravitate towards them because they add so little. This is not the case for The Rise of Kyoshi. A book that fits seamlessly in with the show. It is clear F.C. Yee has a deep understanding and respect for the lore and show.

The world building is expanded in ways that make perfect logical sense. We see what the world was like before the Hundred Year W
Connor
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
[4.5 Stars]
My Video Review:

It took me trying three or four times to actually film the review because it can be hard to talk about without revealing too much or getting sidetracked by the other Avatars we've got to follow so far.
milou  ☕️
Then let it be so, she thought. She would fight her ill fortune, her bad stars, and protect those who might despise her to the very end of her days.

Kyoshi wasn’t always that Avatar who all the people adored. She was an ordinary servant once, not someone who was worth noticing. When the position of the current Avatar are being questioned some eyes turn their attention to Kyoshi.

─── ・ 。゚:☆. *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Italian Trulli
Credit to the talented creator

From what we’ve seen of Kysohi on the Avatar the l
The Artisan Geek
Mar 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: bookcase
29/3/19
I AM LITERALLY SCREAMING YOU ALL! Avatar literally meant the world to me as a child and I have always wanted to know more about Kyoshi and her life, she was just such a freaking badass woman! I can't wait!!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Caylynn
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes. I honestly don't know why I expected as much as I did out of this, since Kyoshi was never my favorite Avatar in the show.

In truth, this should have been a lengthy graphic novel. Not like the other comics, but a full length graphic novel, since there was a decent amount of information and development in this book. I just feel like the world of the Avatar wasn't depicted well through writing, and the visuals are part of what makes that universe so damn special.

I ende
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
omg I was SO SCARED I WOULDN'T LIKE THIS WITH THAT ENDING??? Because i somehow thought it was a standalone??? But it's not and all is well but it also ended with a cliffhanger and it's killing me.
The Nerd Daily
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Jakob Andreasen

Fans of the critically acclaimed television show Avatar: The Last Airbender will fall head over heels with The Rise of Kyoshi by F.C. Yee. Weaving the story of a much loved character, Avatar Kyoshi, Yee has conjured a unique perspective on an already well established world and takes what we know and love, from the source material, and adds new elements of interest.

I should preface this review by saying that I am a fan of the sourc
Kelly
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing.

I tried to stall reading this book, because I didn't want to finish it in a day. I wanted to savor it. I couldn't put it away. This story was so amazing and F.C. Yee did such an amazing job within the avatar world I love. I watch ATLA and LOK every year during summer break. I know the world, learning about Kyoshi was just so amazing. It endend on a cliffhanger which means there is coming a second book (AMEN). If you love the world of avatar you should really read this. The world
Shealea
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this so, so much! It’s so close to perfection BUT I didn’t like how it wrapped things up and a few scenes near the ending felt anticlimactic. Oof. Nonetheless, I can’t wait for the sequel! Full review to follow.

My second read of The Rise of Kyoshi had me crying. I definitely appreciated everything more the second time around. Also, I dare you to show me a better first kiss scene between two sapphic girls. I dare you.

Full review to follow.
Maëlys
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
✨ 5 / 5 ✨

I read this as the group book for the ATLA readathon ✌🏽

Yun defended the world, and Rangi defended him, but as far as Kyoshi was concerned, her own sacred ground was marked by the limits where her friends stood. “This is what I need to keep safe above all else.”

I still didn’t know how to rate this before writing the review. My heart was telling me I had a 5⭐️ feeling but my brain was telling me this was more of a 4⭐️ objectively. But then my review got super long and solidified my 5
Manisha
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of ATLA
“But now she understood. True hatred was knife-edged and certain. A scale that begged for perfect balance. Her only responsibility in this life, as far as she was concerned, was to even the weight.”

The Rise of Kyoshi is the first in a duology following the history behind Avatar Kyoshi and I found the story somewhat convoluted.

THE ART THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN

Let me preface my review by saying that the biggest problem this story faced was that it was told through the wrong medium.

I am a HUGE
Adah Udechukwu
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Rise of Kyoshi is a great novel with an exceptional plot.
Margaret Brunton
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
More of a 2.5 stars to be perfectly honest. I wanted to love this since I grew up watching ATLA as a child, but I found myself not enjoying reading this. Near the middle to end of the novel, I found myself skimming quite a bit just to finish. I think I would have enjoyed if more if it was a graphic novel instead since I’m so used to seeing this world in animated or graphic novel form. The writing was nice; wasn’t awful or amazing. I wish the writing had memorable quotes or advice such as life, g ...more
Sana
Sep 01, 2018 marked it as anti-library  ·  review of another edition
HOLY YES! I haven't even seen ATLA yet (for shame) and I already know that F.C. Yee is the perfect author for this.

Also, not only are we getting this next year but also The Iron Will of Genie Lo. WHAT A GIFT
Melisa  Cabello-Cuahutle
I thought about it and I came to the conclusion that two books are not enough, so we should carry on with 4 seasons and take it from there.
Silvana
4.5 stars rounded up. Reviews are biased, no? I MISS THE AVATAR WORLD SO MUCH. AND THIS BOOK FILLS THAT EMPTY PLACE IN MY HEART.

Ok. Now that it's out, let me gush about the awesomeness of this book.

Worldbuilding: Holy Iroh, the details are so rich. I got to learn how each nation chose and groomed their Avatars, how Avatar cycle affected the bending lessons, how each Avatar was born in response to the current situation of the world, and so on. It's fantastic.

Characters: Kyoshi founded the Kyoshi
Cande
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh friends, OH FRIENDS. This book was one of my most anticipated releases for this year, I love Avatar and I love Kyoshi and I very much love sapphic content. So, I was super excited. But this book exceeded my high expectations, and I didn’t think that was even possible. I adore the story, sure. But the characters are the gems here. Kyoshi is a very sympathetic character and to see her become the Avatar is amazing. Her relationship with her friends and with Rangi was so lovely and wonderful. And ...more
kartik narayanan
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Rise of Kyoshi is an excellent introduction to the enigmatic and arguably, one of the most influential avatars. While the plot is predictable, focusing on rags to not yet riches trope, there is still plenty to like here. The writing is good, the pacing above average and most of all, it starts to explain the mystery of Kyoshi - her strength, her strong views on certain topics and hints about her longevity.

Overall, it is a must read for any TLA fan.
nivedha
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
kyoshi said bisexual rights, so we stan.
R.K. Gold
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is what I want from extended universe material!!!!!
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 3 21 Jun 19, 2020 02:40AM

• Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars (The Legend of Korra, #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Two (Ruins of the Empire, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Three (Ruins of the Empire, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire (The Legend of Korra, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 1 (The Search, #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part One (Ruins of the Empire, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Team Avatar Tales
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #5)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 2 (The Promise, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift, Part 1 (The Rift, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 3 (Imbalance, #3)
F.C. Yee is currently the author of THE EPIC CRUSH OF GENIE LO. He will hopefully be the author of more YA books in the future.

The Kyoshi Novels (2 books)
  • The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)