Start by marking “Rocket to the Moon! (Big Ideas That Changed the World, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rocket to the Moon! (Big Ideas That Changed the World, #1)

Rocket to the Moon! (Big Ideas That Changed the World, #1)

On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong took “one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind” when the Apollo 11 landed on the moon. But it wasn’t just one man who got us to the moon. The Moon Landing explores the people and technology that made the moon landing possible. Instead of examining one person’s life, it focuses on the moon landing itself, showing the events leading ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Rocket to the Moon!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocket to the Moon!

Lana
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first Brown Book, but it will not be my last! Rocket to the moon! takes us back in time to when we, of course, landed on the moon, but in such a fresh and fun way! I was literally sharing interest facts with my husband as I read through this comic-like children’s book! Such as the shuttle held 950,000 gallons of fuel and used up 500,000 gallons of it within the first two and a half minutes! Wow! That is awesome!.
The illustrations were wonderful and I loved everything about the book!
Rod Brown
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice straightforward history for children of that giant leap for mankind. A touch of humor keeps the science bits from getting too heavy.
Genevieve Trono
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our 8 year old loves graphic novels and he loves non-fiction books and this was a great mix of both. The comic strip style narration kept his attention while also giving him lots of awesome and informative facts about the moon landing. The history of rocket building was especially interesting to him and he loved referring to the timeline at the end of the book. Not only was this fun to read but he learned a lot! Thank you to NetGalley and ABRAMS Kids for gifting us a copy of this book. All opini ...more
Ms. Yingling
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Yep. We've reached the point where historical events that happened fifty years ago are things I remember. Granted, I had just turned four and was much more interested in staying up past my bedtime than watching the moon landing, but I remember it!

Like Maurere's recent Destination Moon, Brown's overview of this event starts with some early technology. Rodman Law tried some very primitive rockets, but didn't have a lot of luck. This is interesting to see, though, since people have been trying to f
Brenda Kahn
Brown borrows from Nathan Hale by having an early but unknown to me, aviation daredevil narrate. Rodman Law briefly covers the history of rocketry from ancient China through the Apollo missions. Impeccably sourced, as usual. Timelines, notes and many suggestions for further learning make this a terrific resource for students.
Joseph R.
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
After an extremely brief history of rocketry (starting with the discovery of gunpowder in China and getting to twentieth century in four pages), the book takes a quick look at the Cold War space race that inspired John F. Kennedy's interest in getting a man on the moon. Kennedy, at the beginning of the 1960s, challenged NASA and the country to get a man safely to the moon and back by the end of the decade. The book explains the various Apollo missions before Apollo XI, which landed Neil Armstron ...more
Becky B
A graphic novel history of rocket development and space flight, with detailed accounts of the first lunar landing and brief accounts of all the USA missions that led up to it and all the lunar missions following it.

I've read some other graphic novels that cover the history of space flight, but this is the only one I've read that focuses on lunar landings of the USA AND the only one that covers the missions that followed that first mission. Brown does a good job of making this history interesting
Alicia
I'm excited for whatever this series will entail especially if Don Brown is a part of the creative process.

This focused graphic novel is about space travel and the regular and scientific people who worked sometimes independently and sometimes together to figure out how to propel rockets, how to use jet fuel, how to put humans up in space, how to survive coming back down, how to walk on the moon.

It was perfectly suitable to the audience with enough math, science, jargon, and real-speak to learn
Meag McKeron
In 136 pages, the author somehow manages to pack the history of rockets/space travel from the 1860s to today, and I must say he did a pretty good job of it! With such a small amount of pages to chronicle such a complicated, fascinating history, Brown managed to hit on a lot of the big moments and sprinkle in some lesser-known yet equally interesting tidbits as well. There are tons of resources in the back matter for readers looking for more detailed information, but as an introduction to the spa ...more
Bkrieth
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining narrator with great voice, extensive history of the race to the moon compacted into understandable, sequenced text, and a drawing out of the Apollo 11 expedition make this an appealing and informative read. The colors and framing style feel more sophisticated and less cartoon-like, while the details will delight those space and non-fiction afficionados in your classroom (yes, bathroom considerations are included.) The back matter is also excellent! I am looking forward to seeing mor ...more
Melissa Mcavoy
My favorite Don Brown yet. Rocket to the moon borrows Nathan Hale’s excellent framing device: giving us a wry and knowledgeable narrator who clues us in to events while making pointed commentary. I found the accounts of the development of the moon missions entirely fascinating. Lots of solid facts for those animated by the science and plenty of inside moments (floating poo anyone) for those who just want a great story.
Mary
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
With accessible factual--and often humorous--text, and graphic novel illustrations, Don Brown relates the history of man's quest to rocket into space and onto the moon. Written in honor of the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing, this book will be enjoyed by middle grade through middle school readers. Tie-in with unites about the solar system.
Nothing "wrong" with the info in this graphic nonfiction narrative, but honestly it was pretty boring. Lots of narrative text panels but hardly any dialogue. Felt like too much information to try to cover in this format. Would've preferred a focus on the Apollo moon landing rather than try to cover the whole history.
Ms.Gaye
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brown does an excellent job of condensing a lot of information into basic aspects and presenting it in a colorful, animated graphic format that is easily understood. Includes timeline, notes, bibliography. Ages 8-12
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Launching the Big Ideas that Changed the World series, Brown’s graphic novel provides a history of the discoveries that would enable space travel, the space race, and the (sometimes tragic) experimental missions that paved the way for Apollo 11.
Patti Sabik
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, ya
Exceptional information on the space race and rocket science history in general. Can’t wait to see more titles in this Big Ideas series since it seems everything Don Brown produces is amazingly great quality work.
ARC kindly provided by NetGalley.
Bridget Neace
May 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: vrc-20-21
Maybe I'm just in a mood. And clearly I'm in the minority with my opinion. But I couldn't even appreciate the fact that I was learning new information from this graphic novel. No. Just a big wad of...no. Ugh.
MaryLibrarianOH
Graphic novel look at the US space program and what came before its start. Great facts and quotes will engage readers and so will the comic style layout.
Lesley
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
While I'm not all that into spacey stuff Done Brown makes every subject he's written on educational and meaningful.
Pamela
Great intro to subject.
Meredith
I wish the entire series were already available.
Karin
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excited for this new graphic novel series, tracking all the big ideas leading up to a major event - in this case space flight to the moon. And we now have a new acronym in our household - TNT (aka "tricky number two").
Joey
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This started out really great, but kind of got bogged down in science jargon in the last third or so.

Still recommended for kids with interest in the space program.
Great Books
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 19-ages-10-11
Celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the moon landing with this entertaining and educational graphic novel. The history of the perilous journey to the moon is presented with much admiration, and just the right amount of humor, for our space pioneers who daringly risked their lives for our national goal to be first on the moon. Reviewer 18
Ginnie
Jan 13, 2019
Brett
Aug 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Don Brown is the award-winning author and illustrator of many picture book biographies. He has been widely praised for his resonant storytelling and his delicate watercolor paintings that evoke the excitement, humor, pain, and joy of lives lived with passion. School Library Journal has called him "a current pac