Start by marking “Apocalypse Taco” as Want to Read:
Apocalypse Taco

Apocalypse Taco

Sid, Axl, and Ivan volunteer to make a late-night fast-food run for the high school theater crew, and when they return, they find themselves. Not in a deep, metaphoric sense: They find copies of themselves onstage. As they look closer, they begin to realize that the world around them isn’t quite right. Turns out, when they went to the taco place across town, they actually ...more
Published March 26th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Apocalypse Taco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocalypse Taco

Betsy
Before I get into the book before me, I need to give you a little history lesson. That's a bit ironic since author Nathan Hale is best known for his history comics, but bear with me. So I have in my possession a book called The Seduction of the Innocent written by American psychiatrist Fredric Wertham, published in 1954. This is the book that almost single-handedly turned the comic book publishing industry on its head. It’s considered infamous today because in the book Wertham makes no bones abo ...more
Rod Brown
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love the historical Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales series, but Nathan Hale's science fiction and horror works like One Trick Pony and this book just don't work for me, maybe because they are too weird and too dark. This one was placed in the children's section at the library, but I think several sequences of body horror and cannibalism and that ending might freak out some young readers.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley for review consideration.

I did not expect that the first five star rating I would give in 2019 would go to a graphic novel, let alone a middle-grade one. (Keep in mind that reviews are not always posted in the order books are read! It can depend on release dates.) However, Apocalypse Taco bothered me enough (in a good way) that I actually had to check and verify it was a kid’s book! Even in black and white, the illustrat
Emily A. Duncan
baby’s??? first???? c-cosmic horror?????
orangerful
This is a 'Stranger Things' fan read-alike if I ever saw one! I expected this book to be fun, I did not expect it to revolve around a science experiment and ethics that would actually make this a great book discussion title for a middle school book club.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Wow - what an original concept! When 'copies' of everything start multiplying everywhere Sid, Axl, and Ivan have to try to bet to the bottom of what is going on - even as the copies seem to be 'refining' their relation to what is being copied...reminded me of Jean Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation - excellent story and art!
Heather Brown
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, teen
Apocalypse Taco is super weird and creepy, but I like it! On a food run for the high school drama tech crew, Ivan Axl and Sidney run into trouble. End-of-the-world trouble. Creepy creatures and giant monsters are making copies of people and things, and it's all centered around the local Taco Bear fast-food place.
If you liked Spill Zone, you definitely want to check out Apocalypse Taco!
Adam Sequoyah
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Apocalypse Taco creeped me out far more than I expected it to. After reading Hale's first American history book (excellent!) and Rapunzel's Revenge, which he illustrated, I expected Taco to serve up a similarly prancing and mostly silly experience. Not so, Nacho.

The story is still an adventurous romp, and it delivers a generous amount of humor. But its genre is undoubtedly horror. Meant for teens, maybe. But still horror. And it horrified me, even past my expectations going into it of an unbelie
Heather
What did I just read???
Tory
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
A whole lotta Cronenbergian apocalyptic fun!
Brooke
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hmm. Not sure about this one. I feel the near-Akira level of body horror is too much for the 8-12 age range it's marketed for, but the story lacks enough substance to engage an older reader. Moments of action spliced with moments of exposition, but not a lot of cohesive storytelling. This review seems to be a minority opinion, though, so YMMV!
Mary Thomas
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Um. Wow. What was that?
Kelsey
Wow, that was...unique
Matthew Archibald
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Eww.
Well done, I guess, but eww.
Dakota Morgan
Jul 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Apocalypse Taco feels like a work written by a 14-year-old, stuffed in a desk drawer, and then pulled back out and published with few revisions by the grown-up author. It's bonkers in a bad way and the art is nowhere near as good as Nathan Hale's non-fiction works. I skimmed the second half of the book and don't regret it.
nope
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Nathan Hale's overall idea for Apocalypse Taco was good- the book itself? The absolute weirdest and scattered book I've ever read. It's all over the place- was it all in their minds? What happened to the bee cloning system? How did the roommate become the way he was?! WHAT WAS IT ALL LEADING UP TO?!
In any case, I congratulate Mr. Hale on being scatterbrained and hardly readable. Definitely recommend this to people who are into books that are complete weirdness.
Earl
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This was probably one of the most insane stories I've read. I mean, what can you expect with a title like Apocalypse Taco? It reminds me of horror movies when they were still scary with a touch of the absurd like The Evil Dead. I'm sure this will be gobbled up by both kids and adults!
Sushi
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Apocalypse Taco, by Nathan Hale, is a graphic novel about 3 young kids that have to go and get food early in the morning, but something strange happens... They find a person that can get them out of the strange thing. I thought that it was an interesting story with a plot twist, at the end that can lead to a sequel. I rate this a 4 star because I liked the plot of the story but there was one part that was a little weird for me. I think this book should be read by kids ages 9+.
DaNae
Pretty fun, and grisly. I will never underappreciate ice scrapers again.
Maria Longoria
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Good and fast read. Enjoyed this book very much.
Destiny Henderson
I was thoroughly creeped out, and I enjoyed every second. We all know what happens when man tries to play God. I generally dislike apocalyptic/dystopian/scary stories, but I found this one intriguing. Gosh, just the thought of that bee goop touching my skin makes my skin crawl and not to mention (view spoiler)

I really liked the characters even with their short introductions and the fact that the mom's a little one-note (nagging
Jessica (Spooky KidLit & We Who Walk Here, Walk Alone)
If you like your humor absurdist, your science fiction mildly terrifying and mildly disgusting, and your nachos delivered by a bear wearing a sombrero, then friend, have I got the comic for you. Even if you don't think you like any of those things, trust me...I've got the comic for you. Apocalypse Taco not only exceeded my expectations, it put my expectations into a telepod from Cronenberg's The Fly, spliced them with a glittering unicorn puppy, and then exceeded THOSE super sparkly mutant expec ...more
Kelly
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy! Would definitely recommend this to a fan of R.L. Stine-y fiction.
Book Him Danno
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a mom with readers I am always looking for books my kids will love. My kids are ages K-7th grade and each one has bee reading since they were 4 years old. (I know freaky Right!)

Each child has there own personality but when we are able to find a author or book series my kids all like I buy everything since book.

Nathan Hale looks to be the next author who will be sitting on our 400 childrens book shelf.

The story is a fun adventure that children will be able to understand and laugh as Sid, Alex,
Liz
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Parents, have you ever thought to yourself, “When will I be able to share my love of bizarre, gory sci-fi horror b-movies with my child?” Has your kid ever picked up David Lubar’s “Campfire Weenies” series and said, “Man, it just ISN’T WEIRD ENOUGH!” Does your tween love Stranger Things but wish it had a lot more “WHAT THE FUCK?”

My friends, do I have the book for you!

A friend works at Amulet and gave me a ton of ARCs to give out for summer reading prizes, and she pulled this out and told me “THI
Olivia
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfi...

APOCALYPSE TACO is a horror graphic novel that follows two middle school aged boys, Axl and Ivan. Axl and Ivan are working with their mother and high schoolers on the set of Brigadoon. They plan to work all night to have it ready for the dress rehearsal the next morning. After some wrestlers eat most of the pizza, their mom plans to take the boys and get an order from McDonald's. When she's busy with the set, a student with a car,
Jene
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a late night before dress rehersal, and the theater troupe's leader sends her kids out to buy some fast food to get the crew through the night. Twin brothers, Axel and Ivan, along with their high school driver, Sid, are about to have a horrible night at the drive-thru. Basically, their tacos turn into toothy, tentacled, aliens that try to eat everyone in the truck. And now, the sky isn't quite right - kind of gooey. When they make it back to the school, even the building is . . . gooey. And ...more
Natalie Waddell-Rutter
This is your typical "mad scientist's project gets out of control" story. In this case, it's a version of the grey goo, nanobots gone wild story for kids. I found the story a bit odd. The monsters who were eating bits of the old world to copy it were definitely creepy looking. Hale took all the scary bits from a bunch of creatures and added lots of tentacles to create his replicators. Even the way the world got all soft was creepy. Just don't think too hard about the story. I want to know how th ...more
Jenny Staller
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is written by the author of the Hazardous Tales series, and has the same goofy charm and enticing artwork. Sid, Axl, and Ivan go on a late night taco run to pick up some food for their classmates, who are working overnight building a set for the upcoming school play. When they drive through the nearby Taco Bear, things get weird. Cue squid creatures, people made of teeth, melting buildings, and all sorts of other monstrosities that may or may not indicate the end of the world. ...more
Amanda
I loved Hale's One Trick Pony and his history series and with tacos being featured prominently in the title here...yeah?! Um...maybe no. I read this right before bed and had the STRANGEST dreams. With cannibalism and horror and cloning and body dysphoria and a story that is ALL over the place and a very ambiguous (bad) ending, there is so much here going on that I am just throwing my hands up in the air and blessing EVERYONE's hearts here.

If you choose to read this, good luck. I will recommend t
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nathan Hale is the New York Times best-selling author/illustrator of the Hazardous Tales series, as well as many picture books including Yellowbelly and Plum go to School, the Twelve Bots of Christmas and The Devil You Know.

He is the illustrator of the Eisner-nominated graphic novel Rapunzel's Revenge and its sequel, Calamity Jack. He also illustrated Frankenstein: A Monstrous Parody, The Dinosaur