Start by marking “From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court (Yarnsworld #4)” as Want to Read:
From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court (Yarnsworld #4)

From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court

(Yarnsworld #4)

If you value your life, stay out of the forest.

As a captive of the Owl Queen’s Court, Nascha’s life has always been one knife’s edge away from disaster. But when she is threatened for nothing more than the colour of her hair, Nascha attempts the unthinkable: escape through the dreaded Magpie King’s forest.

Hunted by sharp toothed and sharper witted foxfolk, and hated by all

To ask other readers questions about From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court

Benedict Patrick
Jul 26, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
As with the last book, I'll not be leaving a review or score, but I'll use this space to give updates on the novel's progress.

26th July - The book is out with beta readers right now. Relieved that I get a break staring at those words over and over, but on tender hooks awaiting their feedback…

7th August - Shadows is getting its final editorial pass as I type this... So close now!

10th August - Interior assets have arrived. Got to wait until next month for the cover reveal :)

13th August - A flurry
Timy
Actual rating: 4.5
Review originally was posted on Fantasy Book Review: http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/Be...
It's also up on my blog: https://starlitbook.com/2018/09/13/fr...

I received an ARC from the author in exchange of a honest review. You can pre-order it now on Amazon and also get a free short story!

It's no secret, that Benedict Patrick had become one of my favorite authors with his Yarnsworld series. I was beyond excited when I got my hands on an early copy of From The Shadows Of The Ow
Lukasz
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-published
Benedict Patrick writes peculiar books, and From the Shadows of the Owl's Queen Court is no different. It's a deliciously dark fairy tale with an eerie atmosphere and engaging plot. Accompanied by the story's protagonists, we venture into the Magpie King's realm. The creatures of the forest are dangerous and malicious, and the new Magpie King is half mad half the time. Instead of protecting people, he terrifies them.

His son, Bradan, wants to help people. His intentions are noble and clean, and y
Rae
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Benedict Patrick for a copy of this ARC!
I loved this fourth book to the yarnsworld series!!!
I will post a full review once this book is published!
________________________________
ARC provided by the author for an honest review.

I have been fortunate enough for the last two Yarnsworld books to have been included in Bendict’s ARC group and I couldn’t be more thankful. After picking up the first two books in this series a couple of years ago, I instantly fell in love with this world and i
T.L.
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
And for a moment I had the temerity to think we might see a happy ending....

A standout entry in the Yarnsworld novels. I've said Benedict has gotten better with every book, and this book only reinforces that opinion. There were more layers upon layers in this story, woven through in both the chapters and the folktales. Some genuine heartbreak in this book, too. All in all, exactly what I wanted--and more--from my return to the Magpie King's forest.

If you haven’t tried a Yarnsworld novel yet, you
kartik narayanan
Benedict Patrick's stories are genre-defying, have a good amount of non-conformity and yet, somehow end up drawing you into them. This is true of the earlier Yarnsworld books (read review here) and 'From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court' is no different. It is a fantastic read and has unexpected twists and turns.

Readers new to Yarnsworld might find the early portions of the book a tad slow and generic. But please, stick till the end and you will be richly rewarded. If you want to have an ide
Liz
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of all... I am bursting with so much #coverlove... simply, pretty!

From the Shadows of the Owl Queen’s Court is yet another story weaved with folklore tales that surprises with the level of imagination and adventure. It would be impossible for me to summarize briefly what this story is about, that’s what the blurb is for, y’all! And I have yet to master the art of summarizing! But clearly, as I’ve come to experience with Patrick’s books to date, he delivers yet another completely out of th
Laura Hughes
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tense, atmospheric and gorgeously told, this is a wonderful edition to the Yarnsworld universe.
Kristen
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here on my blog!~

I should really, really know better than to start a book at bedtime with the intent to read ‘just one chapter’ before sleeping. I really should.

Enter Kristen, bleary-eyed and unable to put this book down. “Hhhrrrrnnngggg… one more chapter. *checks phone* 3AM!? FUCK!”

So this is how I read more than half this book in one sitting, and then low key fell asleep the next morning on my desk for a bit.

This is the story of Nascha, who is a servant in the Owl Queen’s court,
E.Y.E.-D
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantastic-world
Another great entry into the Yarnsworld series. This book stands alone but you will probably get more out of this one if you have read They Mostly Come Out at Night.

First off as I have come to expect from this series the cover art is gorgeous.

This story takes us back to the dark of Magpie King's forest. I love this Everything about the Magpie King and his domain. It is much darker than the last two entries in the series, giving the folktales more of a Brothers Grimm vibe.

This is a story about
David
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fantastic dark folktale story in the Yarnsworld series! This is the second book I've read by Benedict Patrick. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC by participating in TBRindr.

This story can be read as a standalone, but it helps if you've read They Mostly Come Out at Night as Lonan, the main character, makes an appearance as the father of one of the main characters in this book. The setting is the same as well, so you'll have a better understanding of how the world works.

From the Shadows of th
Ian Morgan
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant just brilliant this is the follow up to the first yarnworld book They Mostly Come Out At Night

Which in it's own right is fantastic to start you could read this as a stand alone novel but the myth, laws and legends are fleshed out more to in my eyes a better book

All the characters in this book again are flawed but believable and living in a place which would give the brothers Grimm nightmares

I don't want to go into detail as I'm rubbish at giving away spoilers and truly want to talk t
BriarGrey
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I discovered the book via TBRindr. From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court is a lovely dark fantasy, well-written and engaging, with complex and thoughtful characters and storylines to engage readers and leave them wanting more. I highly recommend this book and others by this author.
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From The Shadows Of The Owl Queen’s Court (A Yarnsworld Novel) by Benedict Patrick
Lost tales of the Corvae and more in a tense story of the consequences of assuming power that comes at a tremendous price.
Benedict Patrick has always amazed us with his gorgeous book covers by Seedlings Design Studios and his latest tale in the Yarnsworld Series is no exception.The best part is that each contain such a treasure inside. Grimmedian has been a fan of Yarnsworld from the start. His books strike a uniqu
Steve Thomas
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I neglected to review this when I read it months ago, so here I go from memory.

Benedict Patrick earned my attention with his entry in the Lost Lore anthology. It was a tie-in to They Mostly Come Out at Knight, and so that book climbed to the top of my TBR. I loved the atmosphere and the fusion of folktale and horror. I read and enjoyed the next two Yarnsworld books, but they didn't capture my imagination the same way TMCOAN did. When I found out Book 4 would be a direct sequel, you can imagine m
Filip
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I read ‘They Mostly Come out at Night,’ the first in Benedict Patrick’s Yarnsworld novels, I was well impressed with what he did. I haven’t had the good fortune of reading up on the second and third books set in that world, but I would be little surprised if the fourth one isn’t the best one yet.

When I spoke at length about ‘They Mostly…’ in my previous review, I was quite vocal about one particular plot twist that came off both as predictable, and immersion-breaking. I’m glad to say, ‘The
Sharkie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
❤Bibi's Book Blog❤
From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court (Yarnsworld Book 4)

My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤ of 5!
Published: 26th of September 2018.
Written by: Benedict Patrick
Source: Free copy generously provided by the author.
Disclaimer: I was approached by the author, Benedict Patrick, who generously offered to send me a free copy of her book, in exchange for my honest review.

The blurb:
If you value your life, stay out of the forest.

ZJ Bowen
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. My apologies to Mr. Patrick for not posting sooner. Life has a habit of getting in the way.

I thought I knew where From the Shadows of the Owl Queen’s Court was headed in the first few pages. The servant girl, the noble friend, the dead queen, the secret that would change everything. I had it all mapped out. But then the POV shifted and it was about a put-upon son, a deadbeat father, and their crumbling relationship.
David Baird
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the Shadows of the Owl Queen's Court is the newest book in the Yarnsworld series by Benedict Patrick and it just keeps getting better and better.

What really sets this series apart from others for me is that it’s so unique and the writing style, switching focus from plot to folklore tales chapter to chapter really does keep you hooked. It’s really great to see the folklore tales and the plot merge as the tale unfolds to give you a complete story that blows you away.

In this tale we meet Nasch
Kathryn
This is the 4th book in Benedict Patrick's classic fairytale-inspired Yarnsworld series. One of the things I love about this series is that each book is written to standalone, so you don't necessarily need to read them in order to avoid spoilers or missing plot points.

This book is the first of the Yarnsworld books to return to one of the prior settings and stories. This book returns to the dark forest we first explored in Yarnsworld 1 - They Mostly Come Out at Night.
While you can still read it
Amanda (WidowWatson reads)
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jumping into the middle of a pre-existing series is something I usually avoid doing since I‘m always worried about missing some important context or inter-character dynamic. From the Shadow of the Owl Queen’s Court, however, is a rare exception and is well self-contained. Even though characters from the other Yarnsworld books are mentioned, I still felt that I had enough information to develop fully fledged thoughts and feelings (and those feelings are largely positive).

As the fourth installmen
Mia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dear Mr. Patrick:

I meant to read the latest installment of your Yarnsworld series much, much sooner but I found it difficult to seek refuge in reading, lacking focus, feeling largely untethered in a world seemingly gone mad. Having finally read it, I thank you for the story which buoyed my spirit.

This is less a review, more of an expression of gratitude for its lessons, for what it reminded me of. I devour dark stories, seeking to understand the nature and extent of human darkness. But I cannot
Alex S. Bradshaw
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great tale by a wonderful storyteller and an excellent addition to the Yarnsworld series.

In this book we revisit the Magpie King's forest, which I am very excited about. Although we start our story in the Courts of the Owl Queen and get our dose of the politics there we are quickly introduced to the characters from the Magpie King's forest. It's a great exploration of the world and giving us exciting hints at what we might be able to expect from the Yarnsworld series in the future.

Ove
Liam
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a fan of the Yarnsworld immediately after reading the Amazon preview for the first book, "They Mostly Come Out At Night", and nothing has changed since then. Benedict has profound skill in creating a world that is both beautiful and terrifying at the same time, he also excels at creating stories set in widely different locations from the previous books. "Shadows" is a welcome return to the Magpie King's forest, with more than a little look into the neighbouring White Woods of the Owlfolk. ...more
John
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I wanted this to be a different book to what it was, which was a direct sequel to They Mostly Come Out At Night. There is very little time spent on the Owl Queen's Court, despite the name, and while we do get some details of it,that occurs mainly during the interludes. I liked the details we got of the other spirit avatars, and the ending was great, but it dragged quite a bit in the middle, and I never enjoyed the characters as much as in previous books. The interludes continue to be fan ...more
Charlotte
There’s a reason Yarnsworld is up in my Top Five fantasy series. Benedict Patrick knows how to write a gripping tale, but it’s his characters that makes him a complete treasure of the genre: vivid individuals that bloom and stay with you long after you close the book.

From the Shadows of the Owl Queen’s Court takes us back to the Magpie King’s Forest, not long after the events of They Mostly Come Out At Night, and I’ve loved the location re-visit. The Lady is certainly a creepy individual at time
David Christian
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honest review in exchange for an ARC

Benedict Patrick is back with another yarns, and I can't recommend this book enough if you're into dark fantasy, cuz we're now turning back into the world of the first yarns book: Magpie King's Forest. The climax, as usual, is very epic. I don't really know why books can be so addicting, but what I know is that I'm addicted to this author's mastercrafts. The yarnworld books are so imaginative and engaging for me, and I've always find each book having it's own
Jake Swartz
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Shadows is in the dark fairy tale genre, I didn't know I was into. This is the first Yarnsworld novel I have read, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The two main characters are sometimes annoyingly believable, in a way where they act their age and can be rash and overly emotional.

In between each chapter is a short story or children's tale from the world, which highlights how playing with higher powers has consequences.
Kelly Munro
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic story from Benedict Patrick!

Every Yarsnworld book has grabbed me and left me in limbo between not being able to read fast enough, and not wanting the story to end. This one was no different. It's a strange and wild tale from start to finish. We revisit the Magpie King, share the adventures of the, seemingly, blessed Nascha, and get a look at the history of the forest gods. All while trying to decide who is the real monster.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Benedict Patrick is from a small town in Northern Ireland called Banbridge, but has been living and working in Scotland since he moved there at the age of eighteen. Tragically, that was quite a while ago.

He has been writing for most of his life, and has been reading for pretty much all of it (with help from mum and dad at the beginning). Benedict's life changed when a substitute primary school tea

Yarnsworld (4 books)
  • They Mostly Come Out at Night (Yarnsworld, #1)
  • Where the Waters Turn Black (Yarnsworld #2)
  • Those Brave, Foolish Souls from the City of Swords (Yarnsworld #3)