Start by marking “Jennifer Strange” as Want to Read:
Jennifer Strange

Jennifer Strange

(Jennifer Strange #1)

Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange is the Sparrow, cursed with the ability to give ghosts and demonic spirits a body - a flesh and blood anchor in the mortal world - with the touch of her hand. When a ghost attacks her high school and awakens her powers, her father dumps her unceremoniously in the care of her estranged older sister Liz, leaving only his journal as an explan ...more
Published July 21st 2020 by Haverhill House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Jennifer Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jennifer Strange

Start your review of Jennifer Strange
Chad
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a barn burner of a story. Jennifer Strange is left with her older sister by her dad right after she discovered she has supernatural powers. She doesn't know how they work or what's going on at all except she's now being attacked by ghosts and demons. We find out as she does as everything unfolds. There's a lot of potential here. I'd like to see some more well-rounded world building in future books.

Received a review copy from Haverhill House Publishing and NetGalley. All thoughts are my
Janelle Janson
JENNIFER STRANGE is a mix of novel and graphic novel with a side of journal entries. The illustrations really help make the story come to life so that was a sweet surprise I wasn’t expecting. This is a super duper fun YA book, and lucky for us, it’s the first book in a series!

Jennifer is dropped off on her estranged older sister’s doorstep while her father does some work. But Jennifer recently discovered a secret in the family and the supernatural won’t leave her be. Jennifer is gifted with cert
Briar's Reviews
This is an excellent YA horror that will keep you on the edge of your seat! This book is fun, spooky and kooky and gave me all the Halloween-y vibes I crave and wanted. It's fast paced, has a lot of heart and I could not put it down! Cat Scully is an excellent writer, and I hope I get my hands on a final copy of this book because it was just so good!

Thank you to NetGalley and Haverhill House Publishing for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
Sadie Hartmann
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: night-worms
3.5 rounded up for Goodreads!
It needs to be said that not all YA Horror is created equal. Some books transcend that label and it's clear, almost right away, when you're reading something that all ages can enjoy (even if there's a target audience). Other times, I feel my age when I'm reading YA-a sense of, 'this is not for me'. Jennifer Strange by Cat Scully is of the first kind; it transcends.
Somehow the narrative manages to suit its target audience and satisfy mature horror readers at the same
Alex | | findingmontauk1
This is a fun YA horror story and I can totally see a series with this! It had all kinds of vibes: spooky, demons, ghosts, 'magical' powers, sibling bonds, etc. And what's even more fun is that this novel has incredible illustrations throughout and even handwritten journal entries. I would consider this 80% novel/20% graphic novel if that makes sense.

I totally flew through this story and I think anyone could do the same! There were some wild action scenes, emotional sisterly bonding scenes, and
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
This was a fast paced thrilling romp! Jennifer and her sister were fun to read about as they battled their emotions when learning they are actual demon hunters.
Part Chilling Adventures of Sabrina mixed with Buffy, I really enjoyed this much more than I expected! I'm here for YA horror novels that are as gore filled as adult Horror! It was nice to see some queer representation too. I'm glad it's going to be a series because Jennifer is definitely a character I'd like to see again!

I would recomme
Mindi
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to follow...
Matt (TeamRedmon)
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jennifer Strange by Cat Scully opens with 15-year-old Jennifer Strange being dropped off by her father at her sister's door. They fled after a paranormal incident occurred during one of Jennifer's volleyball games. Without a word of warning, just an old journal to explain, Jennifer's dad leaves her to go work on the problem. So, Jennifer is abandoned by her father to live with her college freshman sister, who clearly doesn't want her there, having just experienced a paranormal trauma, and is now ...more
Ashley (spookishmommy)
Fans of These Witches Won't Burn and The Babysitter's Coven: this is for you! ...more
Cinna Marie
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Stars: 2/5

Thank you to the publishers for a free ARC of this story in exchange for an honest opinion.

I finally finished this book. It took me so long. Admittedly, that wasn't all because of the book.

I wanted to like this story. I held out. I had hope. The beginning was slow. I was 50% finished and the story was hardly off the ground... felt like I was still being introduced to everything.

As an unedited proof, there were a number of grammar mistakes which annoyed me and every second paragraph had
Kami  Martin
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sparrow. He called me Sparrow._ Jennier Strange

Thank you to YAP Books an imprint of Haverhill House Publishing and our author, Cat Scully for providing the Nightworms Review Team with a copy of your debut novel, Jennifer Strange for a Nightworms Book Party.

This is a young adult novel that finds us in Savannah Georgia as our main character is relocating from Atlanta living with her Father, now moving in with her Sister Liz, who is currently a full time college student. Jennifer who will now be at
Marcy Reads on IG
“No one is ever lost. All we have to do is find the right door, and the right keys.”

As I finish the book and read the acknowledgements I too want to thank Cat’s husband for not letting her throw this fantastic novel in the trash. What a tragedy that would’ve been cause this book was such a fun ride. Also, I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS IS A DEBUT NOVEL. Just wow!

Jennifer Strange is a Sparrow and she has powers that seem more like a curse. One day, after being attacked at school by a ghost, she is droppe
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
3.5 stars!

Imagine almost being killed by a supernatural force at your high school one day and after, your father hands you a journal and drops you off with your older sister. Basically - good luck, read this and try not to die! Byeeeeeeeeee! This, my friends, is Jennifer Strange. And her first day in her new school... well, it starts with quite the literal explosion. But what else would you expect from Savannah - known for the supernatural? 😉

This is the young, queer demon fighter we have been wa
Tonja Drecker
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading the blurb on this one, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy, and I wasn't left disappointed.

Jennifer is left in a hard spot. Literally. Her father has dumped her off at her college-aged sister's place and taken off, leaving her only with a few personal items and a notebook. But there's even more behind all of it than first appears. Jennifer has powers, strange ones that she can't control let alone understand. She only knows it has to do something with her mother and that the
Nina The Wandering Reader
“Power isn’t good or bad—it’s about how you use it.”

Any fans of YA fantasy horror interested in a riveting adventure involving a supernatural sister duo, demons, banshees, ghosts, and absolute chaos? If your answer was “hell yeah”, then JENNIFER STRANGE by Cat Scully might be of interest to you!

Jennifer Strange is a young girl cursed with the ability to summon demons that want to use her human body as an anchor to the world of the living. She is left to live with her estranged older sister Li
Court
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Jennifer Strange is cursed with the ability to give ghosts and demons a corporeal body with just the touch of her hand. All she wants is to learn how to control her new gift. Instead, her father drops her in the care of her older sister Liz, leaving only his journal as explanation.

Jennifer and Liz haven’t spoken to each other since their mother died, but when the supernatural residents of Savannah, Georgia find Jennifer and her powerful gift, the sisters must learn to trust each other a
Ben Long
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, I had SO much fun with this book! It reads like a typical YA book, so I was actually caught off guard (in the best way) by the brutality and pulse-pounding suspense of the first major paranormal encounter. It’s violent, memorable, and instantly hooked me into the book. Comparisons to the Supernatural and Evil Dead franchises are very apt, with dashes of Haunting of Hill House and Ninth House thrown in. Just replace the Winchester’s with a pair of sisters and the Deadites with...well actuall ...more
Donnie
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was charmed by JENNIFER STRANGE, a supernatural YA offering by Cat Scully. From the illustrations to the quickly paced plot in a southern setting, this was a great change of pace from some of the heavier novels i’ve consumed over the past few months.

I needed a change of scenery and this one provided it for me!

If you have a budding horror reader in your home, this would be a great seed to plant in order to grow a future horror hound. I would have devoured this as a child - it will sit nicely o
Rachel
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror
I received an e-arc of this from NetGalley. I’ve since been told that some of the plot has changed, and that there will be a sequel.

For someone that does not often read horror and doesn’t particularly like ghosts, I thought this was a good and entertaining read! It was super creepy and there were some pretty gory scenes. I loved the relationship between Jennifer and Liz.

As a teen librarian, I think this will be an easy sell to my horror loving teen readers.
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Jennifer Strange is a lower-YA read set in Savannah, Georgia, and I love how Scully painted a good picture of the city! The illustrated journal pages and monsters are definitely reminiscent of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark; I appreciated their addition to bring the story to life.

Fast-paced and action-packed, I was able to breeze through this in a couple of hours. I had trouble connecting with the narrative voice, but that is in large part because of Jennifer's authentically young voice (and
Jacy Sellers
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one night because I simply couldn’t put it down. I had so many questions from the start and needed them answered before I went to sleep! This action-packed story gave me gory-geously creepy and ‘Supernatural’ vibes.

Jennifer Strange, a teen trying to control her demon-summoning powers, moves to Savannah, GA to live with her sister while her father leaves to find answers. He gives her his journal to hopefully provide insight into her powers. Weird, horrific things happen to Jen
Jacy Sellers
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it

Cat Scully
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jennifer Strange will no longer available on Netgalley in a few days BUT the feedback was so helpful a HUGE cleanup was done before release!

- Copy edits
- Plot changes
- Removal of swear words
- Fight scene cleanup for clarity
- Kiss scene!!
- Illustrated novel *not* being marketed as part comic

DEFINITELY check out the final book!
Keely
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 rounded up for Goodreads
Review coming soon!
NerdMom101
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BLOODY FUN YA HORROR.
Oh man, what a ride! Jennifer Strange is a wild, gory debut by Cat Scully. It feels very "young Buffy", and the illustrations that pepper the novel add to the stylish, poppy prose. I think that if a teen is looking for some starter horror that's more cinematic rather than moody and atmospheric, this fast-paced novel is exactly where to go! I love the relationship between the sisters, too. I can't wait for more works by Cat Scully.
Tori
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an eArc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jennifer Strange is just that... strange. After an “incident,” occurs at school, her father drops her off unannounced at her sister’s apartment and vanishes. The two girls are left to decipher clues left in an old journal written by him and illustrated by their mother. Along the way, they meet all sorts of supernatural entities. Will any of them be helpful, or will they all try to bring harm to the girls?

I really enjoyed this bo
Dawn
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer has been dropped off at her sister's apartment. Her dad has gone off in search of answers. Apparently, Jennifer has some supernatural ability dealing with ghosts that she had no clue about, and still does not understand. When all hell breaks loose at her first day of her new school, Jennifer knows she is in trouble. With the help of her sister, Jennifer sets to make the world right again.
She met a guy who seems to know some answers, Marcus. Problem is, Jennifer doesn't know whether or n
Kristy Harvey
This is a supernatural fantasy perfect for readers of young adult literature.

This was an enjoyable and fast paced book about a girl discovering unusual powers that she struggles to control.

She's left with the diary of her father providing her with insight into her powers and how she might be able to use them for good.

I enjoyed the graphics at the end of each chapter and the pages of her father's diary were a nice touch.

The book had me on the edge of my seat with all manner of supernatural crea
Tony
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stylish and gory YA demonfest supernatural debut

If you are after a fast-paced, gory, and very stylish YA horror novel then look no further than Cat Scully’s excellent debut splash Jennifer Strange. All too often Ginger Nuts of Horror struggles to find genuine YA horror to review, be rest assured this monster and demon-soaked romp is the real deal which moves at an incredibly fast and very silky lick. The novel is also part comic, with catchy illustrations opening the story, with additional drawi
Jade
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-tbr
Note: very graciously received an early review copy from Netgalley.

Review: DELICIOUS! I loved it!!! Balancing horror with a great deal of heart, Jennifer Strange is definitely one of the strongest debuts I've read recently. The illustrations just added to the overall feel of it--the atmosphere was great, and I enjoyed the quirky, haunted heroine.

Can't wait to buy a physical copy!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Dragon Egg Princess
  • A Savage Breed
  • Anoka
  • Crossroads

Jennifer Strange (2 books)
  • Jennifer Strange and the Red Gate (Jennifer Strange, #2)