Start by marking “Jennifer Strange” as Want to Read:
Jennifer Strange

Jennifer Strange

"JENNIFER STRANGE is a gruesomely fun, demon-infested YA romp in which two teenage sisters learn and ply the family's secret demon-fighting trade. A promising debut." -Paul Tremblay, author of A Head Full of Ghosts and Survivor Song

Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange is the Sparrow, cursed with the ability to give ghosts and demonic spirits a body—a flesh and blood anchor in
Published July 21st 2020 by Haverhill House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Jennifer Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jennifer Strange

Start your review of Jennifer Strange
Briar's Reviews
This is an excellent YA horror that will keep you on the edge of your seat! This book is fun, spooky and kooky and gave me all the Halloween-y vibes I crave and wanted. It's fast paced, has a lot of heart and I could not put it down! Cat Scully is an excellent writer, and I hope I get my hands on a final copy of this book because it was just so good!

Thank you to NetGalley and Haverhill House Publishing for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
Tonja Drecker
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading the blurb on this one, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy, and I wasn't left disappointed.

Jennifer is left in a hard spot. Literally. Her father has dumped her off at her college-aged sister's place and taken off, leaving her only with a few personal items and a notebook. But there's even more behind all of it than first appears. Jennifer has powers, strange ones that she can't control let alone understand. She only knows it has to do something with her mother and that the
Court
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Jennifer Strange is cursed with the ability to give ghosts and demons a corporeal body with just the touch of her hand. All she wants is to learn how to control her new gift. Instead, her father drops her in the care of her older sister Liz, leaving only his journal as explanation.

Jennifer and Liz haven’t spoken to each other since their mother died, but when the supernatural residents of Savannah, Georgia find Jennifer and her powerful gift, the sisters must learn to trust each other a
Rachel
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror
I received an e-arc of this from NetGalley. I’ve since been told that some of the plot has changed, and that there will be a sequel.

For someone that does not often read horror and doesn’t particularly like ghosts, I thought this was a good and entertaining read! It was super creepy and there were some pretty gory scenes. I loved the relationship between Jennifer and Liz.

As a teen librarian, I think this will be an easy sell to my horror loving teen readers.
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
"An illustrated YA horror novel pitched as MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN meets SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK..."

Excuse me, I need this in my life like last year. Thanks.

Blog | Twitter | Pinterest!
Jacy Sellers
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one night because I simply couldn’t put it down. I had so many questions from the start and needed them answered before I went to sleep! This action-packed story gave me gory-geously creepy and ‘Supernatural’ vibes.

Jennifer Strange, a teen trying to control her demon-summoning powers, moves to Savannah, GA to live with her sister while her father leaves to find answers. He gives her his journal to hopefully provide insight into her powers. Weird, horrific things happen to Jen
Jacy Sellers
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it

Alex | | findingmontauk1
This is a fun YA horror story and I can totally see a series with this! It had all kinds of vibes: spooky, demons, ghosts, 'magical' powers, sibling bonds, etc. And what's even more fun is that this novel has incredible illustrations throughout and even handwritten journal entries. I would consider this 80% novel/20% graphic novel if that makes sense.

I totally flew through this story and I think anyone could do the same! There were some wild action scenes, emotional sisterly bonding scenes, and
Cat Scully
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jennifer Strange will no longer available on Netgalley in a few days BUT the feedback was so helpful a HUGE cleanup was done before release!

- Copy edits
- Plot changes
- Removal of swear words
- Fight scene cleanup for clarity
- Kiss scene!!
- Illustrated novel *not* being marketed as part comic

DEFINITELY check out the final book!
NerdMom101
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BLOODY FUN YA HORROR.
Oh man, what a ride! Jennifer Strange is a wild, gory debut by Cat Scully. It feels very "young Buffy", and the illustrations that pepper the novel add to the stylish, poppy prose. I think that if a teen is looking for some starter horror that's more cinematic rather than moody and atmospheric, this fast-paced novel is exactly where to go! I love the relationship between the sisters, too. I can't wait for more works by Cat Scully.
Tori
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an eArc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jennifer Strange is just that... strange. After an “incident,” occurs at school, her father drops her off unannounced at her sister’s apartment and vanishes. The two girls are left to decipher clues left in an old journal written by him and illustrated by their mother. Along the way, they meet all sorts of supernatural entities. Will any of them be helpful, or will they all try to bring harm to the girls?

I really enjoyed this bo
Jade
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-tbr
Note: very graciously received an early review copy from Netgalley.

Review: DELICIOUS! I loved it!!! Balancing horror with a great deal of heart, Jennifer Strange is definitely one of the strongest debuts I've read recently. The illustrations just added to the overall feel of it--the atmosphere was great, and I enjoyed the quirky, haunted heroine.

Can't wait to buy a physical copy!
Dawn
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer has been dropped off at her sister's apartment. Her dad has gone off in search of answers. Apparently, Jennifer has some supernatural ability dealing with ghosts that she had no clue about, and still does not understand. When all hell breaks loose at her first day of her new school, Jennifer knows she is in trouble. With the help of her sister, Jennifer sets to make the world right again.
She met a guy who seems to know some answers, Marcus. Problem is, Jennifer doesn't know whether or n
Kristy Harvey
This is a supernatural fantasy perfect for readers of young adult literature.

This was an enjoyable and fast paced book about a girl discovering unusual powers that she struggles to control.

She's left with the diary of her father providing her with insight into her powers and how she might be able to use them for good.

I enjoyed the graphics at the end of each chapter and the pages of her father's diary were a nice touch.

The book had me on the edge of my seat with all manner of supernatural crea
Tony
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stylish and gory YA demonfest supernatural debut

If you are after a fast-paced, gory, and very stylish YA horror novel then look no further than Cat Scully’s excellent debut splash Jennifer Strange. All too often Ginger Nuts of Horror struggles to find genuine YA horror to review, be rest assured this monster and demon-soaked romp is the real deal which moves at an incredibly fast and very silky lick. The novel is also part comic, with catchy illustrations opening the story, with additional drawi
Emily
May 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this just wasn't for me. I found the lead character acted helpless or too naive for what could be a strong character. I like the idea of having pictures and journal entries along with the story. I think this helped the reader visualize what the author was creating in the monsters.
Christy
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of Supernatural will love this! Full RTC
Jolene Haley
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We all know this will be delicious.
Katya de Becerra
Knowing that this book is going to come into tangible existence in the near future warms my dark dark heart.
Nichole Seitz
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen-year-old Jennifer Strange was dropped off to live with her estranged sister, Liz, with little information, besides a journal, from her father. We quickly discover that Jennifer is a “Sparrow” cursed with abilities to give demonic spirits and ghosts a body by her touch, though at a great cost to her. The estranged sisters bond like their lives depend on it, may because they do. They just want to live normal lives go to school, but is living a normal life really worth the lives of others?

T
Monique Rosenbaum
Thanks to net galley for the digital arc of Jennifer strange in exchange for my honest review.
It should be reclassified as a ya novel NOT graphic novel. I think that would help many of the reviews. We went into this book expecting a graphic novel but instead got a book with occasionally a photo & journal entries. The story itself was decent. Sisters Jennifer & Elizabeth Strange know nothing about them having powers until they are thrown into a world of ghosts demons banshee wraiths, all that & h
Mallory
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read
thank you so much to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of Jennifer Strange! unfortunately, this one wasn't for me. i expected it to be more of a graphic novel rather than a novel with some images. i found myself unable to get into the story, mostly because i was surprised by the age range and the structure of the story. i think if it had been marketed as a novel i would have found it more approachable.
Alexandra Lucia Brînaru
I recieved an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I was quite disappointed with this book, first of all because it was marketed as being a graphic novel. While it indeed has drawings and handwritten journal entries throughout it (which were okay from my point of view, but did not blow me away), but the majority of the book was text and I don't think I would've chosen to read it knowing that.
As far as the text is concerned, it is indeed an uncorrected proof, that does
Tami
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Jennifer Strange is part novel, party graphic novel. By part graphic novel, I mean a few illustrations every chapter or two so not really part graphic novel. It shouldn't really be classified as a comic book or graphic novel at all, and what few drawings it had, I wasn't really feeling the art style.

The concept itself is exciting, almost like Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Supernatural/The Mediator series but the story itself wasn't written well. I don't know if it's the writing style, but the first
Ro
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a digital ARC od this novel.

Actual rate: 2.75 stars

First pf all, I want to acknowledge one this: this is not a graphic novel. It was advertised, at least here on NetGalley, as a graphic novel but it's actually a book with a picture and/or a (drawn) diary pages every few chapters or so. That's not a bad thing, of course, but I just wanted to acknowledge it so people know what they are getting into when they start this novel.
I also think this no
Eszter Szika
Jennifer Strange is a pretty nice teen fantasy book about a girl, who lives an ordinary life, that is not so usual anymore.
Jennifer has to live with her older sister, Liz, where she gets to know that her family had superpowers and her parents were demon hunters. She just realize that she has a fate to fight against the demons.
As I’m a very big Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan I was looking forward to see some similar literature about the hunters world. The illustrations and diary pieces in the book
Olivia
May 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
As should be obvious, just because this book wasn't for me doesn't mean that it won't be for others. I received an e-ARC of this book through Netgalley where it was being marketed as a graphic novel. Jennifer Strange is not a graphic novel and that is not the book's fault. There are illustrations interspersed but it is primarily a YA horror-ish novel which is not a genre I would pick up. Again, this is a reader problem and not a book problem and I realize I'm going into this book at a disadvanta ...more
Theediscerning
May 23, 2020 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Don't come here thinking this is in any way a graphic novel, for it's not. This mis-billing aside, what I saw was a teen-friendly horror, that starts off with the dials turned to ten and has nowhere to go as a result. The author must have grown up ignorant of the word 'subtle'.
Kranna
May 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot of the book is about a young lady who is a conduit for demons and ghosts. The writing was good however I do believe this may need to be added to young adults versus middle grade. I believe this would be a good story for arlee high schoolers that are kind of into the creepy stuff. This book was written for preteens and Young people but I felt that it was too gory for that age group. When I think of stories like this I think more along the lines of like Goosebumps and horror novels for th ...more
DB  (DB's Guide to the Galaxy)
This book is basically Supernatural if the brothers weren’t so close. And if they kept to hunting demons. And if it were a less likable story. What did I mean by that statement? I mean that the book’s got all the makings of something I would highly highly enjoy! But it falls terribly flat. And then I ended up not liking it. Like I have so many notes on my Kindle about this book but if I had to write down everything this post would be super long.

Jennifer moans on and on about Savannah, Georgia an

• Something is Killing the Children, Volume One
  • Misery
  • The Dragon Egg Princess
  • Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas (Zero's Journey #4)
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
  • Beach Nightmare
  • The Mask of a Thousand Tears
  • Endzeit
  • The Patient
  • Cat's Cafe: A Comics Collection
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • A Spectacle of Souls (Circus of the Stolen, #1)
  • Fangs