Start by marking “A World of Wonders: Geographic Travels in Verse and Rhyme” as Want to Read:
A World of Wonders: Geographic Travels in Verse and Rhyme

A World of Wonders: Geographic Travels in Verse and Rhyme

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Could anyone somersault across the San Andreas fault? Why was Hawaii named after a Sandwich? Of longitude and latitude, which has more "flatitude"?

You'll travel the globe (and some of the sky) discovering answers to these and other questions you never knew to ask! There are all sorts of amazing things to know about thousands of "spaces and places to be" within the fantast
Published March 4th 2002 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about A World of Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World of Wonders

Beth
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A World of Wonders is an amusing and entertaining way for readers to learn about geography. The poems vary in type from a Christopher Columbus acrostic that spells “SANTA MARIA” to rhyming poems about European explorers to several concrete poems like “The Italian Boot” that relates the placement of words on the page to their meaning . The oil illustrations enhance the twenty-six poems with their soft blues, greens and sandy colors. The crackling varnish creates a time-worn look to the people and ...more
Krystal
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, but maybe that's just the poetry nut in me. I thought it was such a clever way to teach geography to kids, to use short and fun little poems. My favorite poem in the book is called Is the Yellow Sea Yellow?

Is the Yellow Sea Yellow?

Is the Yellow Sea Yellow?
Is the Red Sea red?
Is the Black Sea black?
Is the dead sea dead?

Yes, because there's too much loess-
A fine, rich yellow silt.

Yes, because the red seaweed
Is floating like a quilt.

No, the black come from,
They say, dar
Rebecca
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Lewis’ picture book includes 28 geographical poems that cover famous explorers, geological features such as the San Andreas Fault and caves, and trivia about cities, islands oceans, and place names. In some cases, such as the opening piece, “Places and Names: A Traveler’s Guide,” Lewis is clearly influenced by Dr. Seuss: “So many places have fabulous names, / Like Fried, North Dakota, / The Court of St. James, / Siberia, Nigeria, Elyria, Peru, / The White Nile, Black Sea, / And Kalamazoo!” His b ...more
Ashlee Reed
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Age-Upper Elementary
Genre: Poetry-informational text

Such a cute book!!! Takes you all over the world through poems. This would be such a good book to read if you are study poetry or places around the world.
I liked how it was different types of poems and they were short and sweet.

Highly recommend this book!
Mona Pingree
I chose this book to share with my 4th/5th classroom, because it combines facts and beauty in an engaging way. It uses 28 separate poems to engage students in issues of geography, cartography, and world history. The sumptuous watercolor illustrations and playful language are capable of keeping the attention of students above and below this grade level as well.
Jean Marie
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A World of Wonders: Geographic Travels in Verse and Rhyme is a book about traveling throughout the world as well as different facts about different places in the world. As the book suggests, "discover the world of geography….go by yourself or invite a good friend, to travel by poem is what we recommend." This is a great poem book for more experienced readers from 9-10 years old with an introduction poem as well as a conclusion poem. This book starts off with a poem about Christopher Columbus and ...more
Nicolewinter2011
Illustrator: Alison Jay
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Year: 2002
Interest Level: 3-8
Reading Level: 3-5

This book won the Rhode Island Children's Book Award. I love the colorful illustrations. They have a crackle touch about them (don't know the artistic word for that), which is similar to an old cracked painting of a globe. This book has a compilation of poems that describe locations around the world, along with some geographic terms. I think it would be a fantastic addition to an intermed
Madelyn Adams
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I think this book was a creative way to teach information about geography. The Poems were filled with fun and interesting facts about different places and geography information. I thought the illustrations also helped enhance the poems, because most of them fit the shape of the picture.

Purpose:
I think this poetry book would be ideal for students in 4th and 5th grade, because it incorporates geography and poetry in a fun and exciting way. These poems could be read aloud or a st
Christa Balero
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Poetry-
I absolutely loved this book! The book includes poems all about the earth. The poems seem to be sorted by section, from famous places, to physical features, to habitats, to taking care of the earth. I think this would be a great start to an open inquiry project for students! Let them take a topic from one of the poems and learn more about it!
Also, the book gives great visual and mnemonics tools to remember important facts about the earth!
And there are so many literacy elements that can b
Janet Frost
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
.A World of Wonders: Geographic Travels in Verse and RhymeThis is a deceptively simple book of verse. I grabbed it mostly for its cover and promise of "geography". It is probably pretty obvious that all things geography are my obsession this year. After I sat down and frolicked through this book I was thrilled. It holds rather extensive geography concepts in beauitiful poetic verse and captivating illustrations. I love learning made fun and engaging and this book captures that goal
Debbie Hayes-miller
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I thought this poetry book was a really great way to present geographic information to students. This is probably appropriate for grades three and up. The topics of the poems range from names of oceans, deserts. and mountains to the San Andreas fault, Angel Falls,and the Northern lights. I think teachers could incorporate any one of the poems in this book during a geography lesson.
Katie Florida
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun and simple, mostly rhyming poetry about geography, the people who explored it, and current features. Some are funny, some very somber. The last one is great. I love the artwork, too. I'd love a poster.
Nielson
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Poem: "Angel Falls". Great poem that gives a visual with what the words are saying. This is an AWESOME book because each poem tells about different geographical things in different forms of poetry so the students would be learning about geography and different types of poetry too. Loved it!
Jacquelyn DeWitt
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
As the title suggests, this book incorperates poetry and geography. This book has many cute poems.
Ashley Melton
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
This book is a fantastic resource to discuss various terrains and how its affected by geographic location. Plus, its centered about poetry, so great for its multidisciplinary component.
Donalyn
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lewis weaves geographic information throughout this playful collection of poems about Earth's landforms and locations.
Molly
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love it! Well written, entertaining and beautiful art!
Bree Bosse
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a great poetry book for children to teach about geography! It has cute little verses and rhymes and is fun way to integrate social studies with literacy!
Linda Costello
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-studies
I have only heard a few of these poems but I can not wait to read more. This is a great children's poetry book!
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quite an enjoyable collection of poems, and the illustrations are really nice as well. This will be a great book to share for SRP this year.
Michael
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
Nice book to get children excited about geography. Easy to read and understand.
Christine
Apr 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poem: Is the Yellow Sea Yellow?
Brenda Shanley
Dec 31, 2013
Kelsey
Feb 29, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
J. Patrick Lewis is the current Children's Poet Laureate. He has written more than seventy children's books, including Once Upon a Tomb: Gravely Humorous Verses. J. Patrick Lewis lives in Ohio.
More about J. Patrick Lewis