Start by marking “Inside” as Want to Read:
Inside

Inside

1987 “Does it burn in the dark?”

Reid is a bully, but he’s still Alex’s best friend. When Reid pushes Alex and their friends into invading a historically haunted Massachusetts house, Alex knows it’s a terrible idea, but indulges his friend. What could go wrong?

Inside, a mysterious Shadow looms in the darkness. The door to the house vanishes, leaving them trapped. The group
Published 2019 by Parliament House Press

To ask other readers questions about Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside

Start your review of Inside
Cam
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Netgalley and publisher for this book to review. I knew from the cover of this cover there was a good chance that I would like this book. I really enjoyed this horror. In a small town there is a house that stands in the woods that no one discusses. It is known to be haunted. 5 teen friends decide to check out the haunted house and they relieve fast that they stories that were told are becoming a reality.
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I hope you are all ready to sit in the corner and rock your way through this review. Inside, looked like the poster for the latest horror movie – this apt title hides the deeper meaning to the story. Huge revelations, relationships pulled so taut that they threaten to snap. This book has you standing on the precipice of hell, the flames threatening to lick at your heels, the heat seducing you within. A house is just bricks and mortar, right? Wrong – the house was built with the devils’ hands, ea ...more
Elaine's Reviews
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well known haunted house sits in the forest, empty and unoccupied for many decades. All the locals know the story of the house, and that it is cursed and nobody ever goes there. However, in 1987 a group of five young teens decide to investigate the house and see if the stories they've heard all their lives are true. Led by the ringleader, and the strongest personality out of all the kids, Reid, they each are afraid to go in to the house for fear of what they might find and also afraid not to g ...more
Richelle SheReadsHorror
Drained!

This book was good.. but I also have that empty feeling after finishing this book. That feeling like it took everything out of me! It was great , had its highs and lows, made me shed a tear or two because I had grown attached to the main character but no one is safe!
Keith Chawgo
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inside is a claustrophobic horror novel which ticks all the boxes masterfully. Siciano has done an expert job of keeping this tightly scripted whilst ensuring a deep understanding of her characters.

Inside is an interesting novel that deals with teens and their relationship against a horrifying ghost story that makes some interesting plot twists that are quite hard for the reader to deal with. This sets this book apart from the other fiction dealing with adolescence and the difficult relationshi
Randi Maguire
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounding up to 4.5 stars. Review to come.
Mark Chapin
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! A mix of Stranger Things and Blair Witch with some really well rendered characters and some truly unsettling moments. A great debut from a new writer.
A.J. Vrana
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a good feeling about this book from the moment I picked it up. I love hauntings; it’s my favourite kind of horror. D.M. Siciliano’s debut horror novel, Inside, takes us into what feels like the literal embodiment of hell: a house with no escape, where all your fears are used against you. Our protagonists are five adolescents who go into the house as part of a test of courage, only to find themselves trapped in rooms where doors disappear and walls dance with life-like shadows. Lifelong fri ...more
Permanently_Booked
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
When I was younger I lived in the very woodsy State of Connecticut. I would go foundation hunting with my mom and hear stories of witches who were burnt in their homes or settlers and such. We'd go to these areas and dig about looking for knickknacks. Now I don't recall much of my really little years but I am fairly certain that some of those places were areas kids would dare other kids to go into. Test the bravery, prove the ghost stories weren't real. Inside is that kind of story. Young kids t ...more
April Taylor
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off like many others with five kids getting ready to do something that they really shouldn’t do. But once they go inside the abandoned house, the story unravels much differently than the typical haunted house story.

There are themes about the importance of friendship, love, dealing with abuse, and even redemption. Inside is also a pretty crazy ride. You can’t ever get comfortable and the characters can’t ever get complacent because things quickly happen one after the other from
Nicole LeAnn LeAnn
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, this book was terrifying and I mean that as a compliment. The cover is gorgeous and one that would make me pick up the book without even caring about the synopsis because I’m already on board!
This book takes place in 1987 and features a group of kids who decide to visit the town’s most haunted house just to prove that it’s all just a bunch of hocus pocus.
They couldn’t be more wrong. This house is nothing like your ordinary haunt.
I loved this book. It was intense and fast paced. The way th
Ellen
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A group of kids decide to explore a local haunted house the summer before their freshman year of high school. Four boys, and a kid sister who secretly follows them, break into the house after being bullied by the lead boy. As the house toys with them and they learn about it's dark past, escape seems hopeless, and the flames just seem to get hotter...
This book was scary and haunting well after I finished. Parts made me cry, and the theme of friendship and family gave me hope for their escape. I d
Scott Stuckenbruck
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read! What starts off as what seems to be a classic storyline delves into much deeper waters with each of the characters and outcomes. The more I read the more invested I became. Vivid depictions of the events taking place made it almost feel like watching a movie in my mind. The callbacks to late 80's New England lingo and pop culture were also an unexpected treat. Definitely recommend!
J.D. Waterhouse
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Siciliano takes us on a journey into a haunted house with 5 young teens who experience dread beyond imagine. But wait...are these horrors real or manifestations of past horrors they've survived in their personal lives? And is the house itself a living entity or the canvas on which their fears take shape? The book has many original themes and I found it both fun and frightening - a great combination.
Anne
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inside is a solid haunted house novel that goes in many surprising directions. It's not what I expected, although the dark, gritty tone of the cover does a good job of conveying that this isn't the typical ghost story.

I recommend Inside to horror fans who are looking for something that's different and intelligent. If you like your horror to be dark, psychological, and a mindf**k, this one's a good choice.
Angie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. I like that the scope of the story covered a lot of years (1674-1991, to be exact). I always prefer my hauntings to be long-term and the stuff of legend.

If you like haunted houses, demonic happenings, or kid-based adventure/horror this just might be the book for you! This is a thrilling debut from a promising new author.

Read my full review here:
jacklyn harris
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not usually a horror reader, but Loved this book!! From the moment I started reading, it kept you wanting to know more!! Defiantly a spooky read!! If want a thrilling read that will keep you on your toes this is a great book for you!! The cover was beautiful and got my attention!!
Annarella
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A scary story with the right creepy factor. It's a fast read, entertaining and gripping.
I liked the style of writing, the fleshed out cast of characters and the well crafted plot.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Norine Combest
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book draws you in from the first page. Hard to put down. Very intriguing, keeps you hoping that it is a dream and everyone is going to be out and good in the end.
Susan
Set in the 1980s, the adventurous kids had a Goonies or Stranger Things vibe going on at first. Its a bit of a dare: go venture into the dark, scary, haunted house in the woods and prove there is absolutely nothing paranormal about it. Reid pushed his friends into. Alex, his best friend, went along to get along. Clint wanted a wicked cool story to tell his classmates as he entered high school. Then Heather, Alex’s sister, tagged along with her snark and fight-to-win attitude.

The house has a repu
Lu
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-english, earc, horror
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

Inside is a horror story told by five different POVs: Alex, his best friend Reid, Heather, Alex's younger sisters, Danny and Clint. Prompted by Reid and followed by Heather, Alex and his friends decided to go to the haunted house, to prove isn't haunted and show others how cool they are. Scared by legends and stories the group chooses to visit the house, but at soon they enter the door vanished, leaving them trapped. Inside, a S
Emma Katherine
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review here: https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: In one word: enthralling! Inside is a chaotic-evil story that leaves readers with a chill up their spine and sweat pouring down their face. I am astounded by Siciliano's creations; the relationships between the characters, the modern-day conflicts in a historical setting, and the atmosphere. The chilling, eerie atmosphere was the feature that tied all of the themes and plots together - without it, Inside wouldn't be the
Heather Bane
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good suspenseful thriller. The storyline is well written and kept your attention from the very start. I found the story creepy and hard to put down. I would recommend reading.

Alice Moon
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love a good horror book and Inside was an interesting read. It starts like a classic horror story where a group of teenagers wanna explore a haunted house. They are scared but still they wanna prove that it's nothing inside. But unfortunately they are wrong. The house is haunted by a smoky devil that wants to play a little game with them.

If they will live or not I'm not going to tell you, but if you're a big fan of horror books/movies you will find out. The book was a fast read, it has some da
Lori Mangano
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! I could not put it down. I love stories in mysterious houses with twists. Well written. I felt like I was watching or movie and at times inside the house. Would love to read something else similiar to this. Extremely entertaining.
Stephanie Matthews
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
4.5 stars, but I like rounding up :)
Fans of haunted houses, this book is for you. Starting off hot (pun intended), this is a non-stop ride through a house with a personality that not even a Snickers bar will make nice. Just remember, kids, don't go into the scary house half buried in the middle of an overgrown forest. No good will come of it. Unless you like reading scary stories about kids going into houses half buried in the middle of an overgrown forest. Then feel free to live your own story.
 Reading Reindeer
A tremendous amount of Implacable Horror, literal and metaphorical convolutions, inescapable emotions (grief, shame, rage, terror, guilt), and deeply delineated psychology populates this novel. I'm always in favor of Implacability in Horror: without it, the story is not realistic. Without it, there's no possibility of a "miraculous" twist: a rescue, a recovery, an escape. What I am not in favor of is fatalism, and that is how this story felt: vicarious suffering, over and over, with not little h ...more
Tony
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Inside" was a fast moving horror thriller set almost entirely within a haunted house which five child friends dare each other to enter, even though it has a dodgy reputation. Everything moves very quickly, the kids meet up, enter the house and the door mysteriously disappears and the supernatural element kicks in immediately, without much buildup or suspense. Personally, I would have preferred a slower development of atmosphere. After the door disappears it was unrelenting as they are forced to ...more
Maeghin
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-scary
Here’s a story with a familiar formula...a group of teens decide to explore a haunted house. Though the storyline has been done before it hasn’t been done like this.

The story follows the group as they bravely enter (after being bullied) the house to prove it’s not haunted. The house turns out to be an endless maze of connecting rooms with no escape. As the group searches for a way out they are being chased by a supernatural evil.

The ending drug on a little longer than needed and I’m not crazy ab
Denisa
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the idea of this haunted house horror novel! The concept is great, and makes for a suspenseful and scary read. Something that could be better done was the writing overall. It was somewhat repetitive with character descriptions, and there was a part near the end that felt like it was dragging along, until it got exciting again. Most of the characters were fleshed out nicely though and I enjoyed the POV story telling. I liked the ending too. Overall a great read and I look forward ...more

• Hometown