Start by marking “The Demons of Liberal Democracy” as Want to Read:
The Demons of Liberal Democracy

The Demons of Liberal Democracy

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  6 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Liberals blame the global retreat of liberal democracy on globalisation and authoritarian leaders. Only liberalism, so they assume, can defend democratic rule against multinationals or populists at home and abroad. In this provocative book, Adrian Pabst contends that liberal democracy is illiberal and undemocratic - intolerant about the values of ordinary people while conc ...more
Published April 30th 2019 by Polity Press

To ask other readers questions about The Demons of Liberal Democracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demons of Liberal Democracy

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Demons of Liberal Democracy
Somia
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The writing is easy to read. I like the fact the author didn’t use convoluted language and it doesn’t feel like the author swallowed a dictionary - thank goodness – I love learning new words, but when I spend most of my time with my nose in a dictionary looking up the words located in the book I am reading – the joy of the read usually bleeds out.

This book covers a lot of the points already highlighted by individuals such as Paul Baran and Ernest Mandel, so it doesn’t add anything ne
I Read, Therefore I Blog
Adrian Pabst is a Reader in Politics at the University of Kent and a leading thinker in the ‘Blue Labour’ movement. In this disappointing polemic that relies on straw man arguments, generalisations and doesn’t define what he means by “liberal democracy”, he parrots the known arguments about the rise of populism and the disconnect between voters and politicians and offers a “solution” of return to grassroots mutualism that no one is asking for.
Sharon
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be a very interesting read. I like how it’s laid out and it’s written in an easy to read manner so that I didn’t become bored, some politically based books are boring to read, this one is not.
David
N K Hodges
Oct 04, 2019
David Vacheresse
Oct 30, 2019
Adrian Pabst is Lecturer in Politics at the University of Kent at Canterbury, UK, and teaches political economy at the Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Lille (Sciences Po), France. He is the author of Metaphysics: The Creation of Hierarchy (2012).