Start by marking “Sparkly New Friends (Unicorn and Yeti, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sparkly New Friends (Unicorn and Yeti, #1)

Sparkly New Friends

(Unicorn and Yeti #1)

Meet magical best friends Unicorn and Yeti, in this series perfect for beginning readers!
Pick a book. Grow a Reader!

This series is part of Scholastic's early reader line, Acorn, aimed at children who are learning to read. With easy-to-read text, a short-story format, plenty of humor, and full-color artwork on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and fluenc
Published April 30th 2019 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Sparkly New Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparkly New Friends

Krissy
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute. My son especially enjoyed the snowball fight.
Heidi
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unicorns are really popular these days which caught my attention when I first heard about this book. So I was eager to read it when it came out. And I found it delightful. Not only are the illustrations really appealing with their bright, colorful, expressive nature, but the text, mostly dialogue, is a winner as well. The title is really appropriate in its reference to sparkly things as Yeti and Unicorn argue over sparkly snow when they meet. Unicorn finds the snow sparkly and Yeti does not. Aft ...more
Becky
First sentence: Unicorn saw something sparkly.

Premise/plot: Scholastic is publishing a new early chapter book series titled UNICORN and YETI. Sparkly New Friends is the first in that series; there are three stories within the book: "Something Sparkly," "An Amazing Friend," and "Snowball Fight." In the first story, Unicorn and Yeti meet each other and become friends. In the second story, the two friends learn more about one another. Yeti, at first, seems a bit jealous of Unicorn's sparkly, magica
4eyedreader
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unicorn and Yeti are Sparkly New Friends, is like a wonderful cartoon on paper - starring an adorable and very sparkly, (piggy-like) little unicorn, and a big, furry yeti❄. Together, Unicorn and Yeti go on a high flying adventure to discover: sparkles, the many whimsical uses of unicorn horns, find lots of silly ways to be fancy, have tons of fun in the snow, enjoy hot soups, and best of all -- the joys of friendship! Three little stories, one very fun book💖

(Disclaimer: I received an advanced r
MaryLibrarianOH
New series an imprint from Scholastic. A Yeti and a Unicorn become friends. The text is in callouts. A different color is used for each voice. From advance reader copy.
RedPoppyReading
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Unicorn and Yeti: Sparkly New Friends” is part of a new-line of illustrated early readers, called Acorn. I am so excited for this line of books aimed at 4-7year olds, because I have a five-year-old who is just learning to read. “Unicorn and Yeti: Sparkly New Friends” is the tale of two new friends Unicorn and Yeti and how they learn about each other and encourage each other. Fans of "Elephant and Piggie" will love this story, told in comic style. There will be a whole line of books starring the ...more
zapkode
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
{My thoughts} – A fun new beginner reader series. Unicorn and Yeti are two unlikely friends. Unicorn has magic and Yetti doesn’t. However, the two of them find things to do together they they both enjoy. One of those things is a fun snowball fight. It does take Unicorn a bit to figure out how to participate with hooves, but once she does they have a lot of fun.

I really enjoy how the text and the images blend together flawlessly. I also like how it is written in a beginner graphic novel like way.
Emilie
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This a a fun book for kids who are making the transition from picture books to chapter books. The graphic novel format makes the story easy to read and follow along with for young readers. Finishing each chapter help create a feeling of confidence and accomplishment.
Following along as Yeti and Unicorn meet each other, learn to get along, and become friends is fun for readers, and the bright illustrations add to the story. (My daughter, who is not a confident reader, loved the book, has read it m
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Sparkly New Friends (Unicorn and Yeti) by Heather Ayris Burnell, art by Hazel Quintanilla. EARLY READER. Scholastic, APRIL 2019. $16(hb)/$5(pb). 978-1338329018

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Unicorn spies something sparkly below. When it gets closer it runs smack into a Yeti. Together, the pair learn how to become friends.

Another part of Scholastic’s new Acorn imprint. They are billed as early readers, but they have a lot of graphic novel components to them. Y
Andrew Myers
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unicorn and Yeti, by Heather Burnell, who lives in Washington State and whose most recent book is Kick, Jump, Chop, the Adventures of the Ninjabread Man. The book is illustrated by Hazel Quintanilla.

This book is part of Scholastic’s new Acorn series, perfect for readers ages 4 to 7 who are not quite ready for the Branches books.

This is about an unlikely friendship between a Yeti and a Unicorn, or as the Yeti describes the unicorn, a tricky, sparkly horse with a horn. It’s a cute book about frien
Jana
This fun early reader graphic novel celebrates great friendships in which each friend is unique. Unicorn and Yeti are very different from each other, and yet they develop a trusting, supportive relationship right away. Their shared love of sparkly things bring them together, but their ability to talk about the things they enjoy, help each other try new things, and accept each other for who they are make this a good book to help instill those values in younger readers.
Sharla Desy
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an uncorrected proof.

Three simple stories; I personally found them quite boring, but for a newly independent reader, the will be treasure. The sentences are short, the words are easy, and there is a unicorn. What's not to love if you're say, a first grader.

The first story is about perspective, the second is about contentment with what we have, and the third is about encouraging our friends who are struggling to master a skill.
Erin
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was one of my six year old daughter's Book Fair picks. The story is fairly simplistic and was formatted like an Elephant and Piggy book. I felt like I was reading one of them except for the illustrations. It's a cute story, although I do feel like we are inundated with unicorns these days, as much as I love them. This is a good easy reader and is the first in a series.
Sarah T.
I love unicorns! I love yetis! I love sparkles, magic and snowball fights!!! This was adorable but not something I'd read at a storytime. Or, maybe just one chapter of it. If I had to choose 1 chapter to read at a storytime it would be the last one where Yeti teaches Unicorn how to snowball fight, and that friends can fight and still be friends.
Arminzerella
Unicorn and Yeti are drawn together by their mutual love of sparkly things - Unicorn is attracted to the sparkly snow in Yeti's country, and Yeti is dazzled by Unicorn's natural sparkle. As they get to know each other, they teach each other new things (like how to have a proper snowball fight). Very cute with some nice messages about friendship.
Rachel Schultz
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This a really cute beginner chapter book, add in that it has a unicorn as one of the main characters and it will never be on the library shelves! I love the simple words that my littles can easily read and yet it’s in chapter book form which they all want! Very cute mini stories in each chapter as well!
Maranda Russell
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had to give this one five stars on cuteness alone! So adorable! I love the new Acorn early reader chapter books. They are so bright and colorful, easy to read, and almost comic-like in nature. You can never go wrong with a unicorn and a yeti!

Maranda Russell/Blogger, Artist & Author
Erin
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
My daughter, grade 1, read this book and loved it. It only took her about 10 minutes to read the whole thing but she wanted to read it multiple times. Great artwork and engaging stories. Definitely a good one for reluctant readers.
Leona
this book hits all the themes you want in a children's book--imagination, friendship, morals, accepting differences, kindness, emotional intelligence, and lots and lots of fun!! looking forward to the rest of the series!!
Krissy Neddo
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another Acorn book with a great size, binding, and story of friendship. Speech bubbles in this one will be more difficult for beginning readers to follow. I can never have enough unicorn books, especially once my students finish the Narwhal series!
Memory Toast
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I <3 Scholastic (because they make books like this)

This book is for those who:
- are looking for an early reader graphic novel
- like stories about friendship, unicorns and yetis (obviously), and snow
Emily
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-chapter
This is very cute and I liked it A LOT.
PWRL
Jun 11, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-new
A
Amy Howard
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This gem deserves 10 stars. LOVE it.
Isabel Duran Peguero
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love unicorn and I loved the book
Scottsdale Public Library
A delightful new series that is a reader, yet like a graphic novel and just right for beginning readers. Kids will love Unicorn and Yeti and their wonderful friendship full of adventures! - Jen K.
Hanna
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This Acorn line of books from Scholastic is a god-send. Perfect for Kindergarten and 1st who are looking for 'chapter' books.
Mary
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was a super cute story. Great early chapter book with the feel of a graphic novel. I look forward to more books about Unicorn and Yeti!
Tori
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute book for beginning readers about a majestic pair of friends. Would be great to recommend for school-aged children who aren't quite up to Narwhal and Jelly yet.
Author of the Unicorn and Yeti series from Scholastic Acorn. Coming in 2019: Sparkly New Friends, A Good Team, and Friends Rock!

Branch Librarian at North Central Regional Library. Organic Garlic Farmer at Great Northern Garlic. Supporter of writers at Sub It Club.

Unicorn and Yeti (3 books)
  • A Good Team: An Acorn Book (Unicorn and Yeti #2)
  • Friends Rock: An Acorn Book (Unicorn and Yeti #3): An Acorn Book