Start by marking “The Third Mrs. Durst” as Want to Read:
The Third Mrs. Durst

The Third Mrs. Durst

Some people just need killing.

Marlena Altizer Durst lives in her husband’s shadow. He controls her every move—what she wears, the food she eats, and the friends she’s allowed to make. If she disobeys, there are… consequences. And he has all the power, so nobody would believe her.

Expected publication: August 8th 2019 by Midnight Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Third Mrs. Durst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Mrs. Durst

Navessa

*malicious grin*

This book is everything.

You don’t even fucking KNOW.

I just finished it and my fingers are actually shaking as I try to type out this review. Because adrenaline.

Real talk, if you are a super sweet person that has never once contemplated doing serious bodily harm to another human being, this book is probably not for you. This is more geared toward those of us who fall closer to the “keep an eye on that” end of the sociopath spectrum.

The blurb hints that this is a story filled with
Tammie
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Third Mrs. Durst, a mystery thriller, was a solid 4 stars. The book centers around Marlena-a young woman who had a rough upbringing. With a druggie mother, multiple siblings by different fathers and little money-Marlena catches the eye of the rich and powerful Mr. Durst and later becomes his third wife (the previous two being deceased).
Sounds like a dream come true, or is it?! No spoilers but there is much more going on than just dealing with a narcissistic/abusive husband.
The Third Mrs. D
Dita
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Some people just need killing."

This book is a chilling cat and mouse game between two soulless individuals bent on the destruction of one another via marriage.

Marlena Altizer rises from humble, difficult beginnings, becomes a model and catches the eye of very wealthy and very controlling Michael Durst. It sounds like a modern day Cinderella story but as soon as Michael becomes her husband, the rules seem to change.

Each have secrets, private agendas and trust issues and thus begins the aforemen
Kendall
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise of this storyline "Some people just need killing" was the hook line and sinker that made me hit that request button.

Unfortunately, this was a disappointment for me. I found it so difficult to like the main character! She was calculating. This books tries to be a sexy and hot version of a triangle of women rooting to kill the husband Mr. Durst.

The sex scenes in here are just pretty awful and not sexy AT ALL. The scenes are just plain let's have sex with zero buildup. Yikes... no than
Tarrah Marie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, this narrative was a struggle to get through. The storyline was scattered and the characters development felt disproportionate to the plot. It felt dark and depraved but not in that good thriller kind of way. This title would be better marketed under the erotica genre as nothing about it rang true to the mystery or thriller genre. 1 star.

Thank you to #NetGalley for this ARC of #TheThirdMrsDurst
Linda Strong
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

REVIEW WILL BE POSTED 8/8/19
Debi Hawkes
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Some people just need killing. And maybe I’m one of them. My husband certainly thinks so,"

Great start, but completely broadcasted the entire book. There were a couple twists at the end, but by then I just didn't care. All characters were unlikeable and difficult to hope for or to celebrate the outcome.

Thank you to NetGalley and publisher for the opportunity to read and review.
Timitra
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Third Mrs. Durst had me glued to the pages from beginning to end. I read it in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend it to those who like thrillers with devious characters.

Copy provided by publisher through Net Galley
Elizabeth
Title :The Thrid Mrs.Durst
Author: Ann Aguirre
Genre: Thriller

Book synopsis
Some people just need killing.

Her Cinderella story has been well-documented and it seems that she leads a fairy-tale life. But nobody ever wonders if Cinderella was happy after
Antonella
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, mystery-solving
Every once in awhile I like to read something then my standard feelgood romance read.
I picked this one because I loved the blurb and I was intrigued.

Protagonist from this book is Marlena from Nowhere, Kentucky and we follow her from age 16 to mid 20's. She comes from poor upbringings and at first I think that is the why she left home at age 16. Same old tale I don't want to stay here and become my mother. But later on I learned that is only part of her story and certainly not the main reason.
WTF Are You Reading?
Ann Aguirre's newest Adult Suspense/Psychological Thriller release, entitled The Third Mrs. Durst is first rate when it comes to mail biting suspense and a leading man that you will love to hate.
Michael Durst...
Rich, privileged, charming, cultured, and lethal.
And to Mariana...
So much more.

Marlana Altizer is a woman who has always known what she wanted.
Even at sixteen. When she left her life as the daughter of a drug addicted mother in small town Kentucky.
To seek her fortune as a model in Nashvil
Janet
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Some people just need killing.

Marlena Altizer Durst lives in her husband's shadow. He controls her every move—what she wears, the food she eats, and the friends she's allowed to make. If she disobeys, there are...consequences. And he has all the power.

To outsiders, it seems that she leads a
Giulia
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was a little underwhelmed after having finished this book, "The Third Mrs. Durst". I think I was expecting a fast paced thriller that would pit two intelligent minds against one another-leading to the final demise of one of them. Although the book moved quickly as it was narrated by our main character-Marlena, I don't think her story was believable enough for me. There were too many cliche's and the plot was lackluster and this trope just seemed to have been done before. The ending just left a ...more
Bandit
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Mr. Durst is a bastard. Think an older Christian Grey without any redeeming qualities. But his third wife is set to put him to rights, even if it kills her. Because being married to Mr. Durst has that effect on women. And so driven by all the wrong motivations they enter a state of matrimony and thus begins a thoroughly messed up marriage of mutually assured destruction as an active intent. But really this is a revenge story, a tale of a backwoods girl who uses her gorgeous looks to get revenge. ...more
Morgan Schulman
I received an advance readers copy in exchange for an honest review.
I would not say this book was entirely bad, but I don’t think I could say it was good
MJ
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have to say this book was a disappointment to me because the beginning was so promising and evolved into a story I didn’t enjoy. The protagonist was unlikeable in all respects. She vacillated between being calculating in using people and radically changing after a few pages to acting as though she cared for them and their wellbeing. This inconsistency within the narrative made the story feel unbalanced and unrealistic. The characters felt one-dimensional and I just couldn’t find a whole lot I ...more
Carol Bisig
Country, backwoods beauty from the hills of Kentucky hits the big time! Or does she? Marlena, very young gets out of her addicted Mothers cabin in the holler; leaving the "youngers"! Sounds like a truly bad Country song! She sets out to marry an older, rich man; both are as bad as the other! He has killed his first two wives, she knows this, marries him, in order to kill him, of course, she wants his money, and revenge! Disgustingly, it ends up with the threesome, her female best friend, she the ...more
Shana Kelly
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, thriller indeed! I was eager to read The Third Mrs. Durst hoping it was similar to The Last Mrs. Parrish. They started off with similar feel, but Mrs. Durst quickly became much, much darker. I could hardly put this book down once I started, and I'm eager to try other titles by Ann Aguirre.

Thank you to Midnight Ink and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this ARC.
Mina
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read....The premise had me hooked... "Some people need killing"...Marlene is the third Mrs Durst and she plans on being the last...this is quite a cat and mouse story with a few surprises. However... It felt a little flat and generic...It did not have that wow factor.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC of The Third Mrs Durst.
Shkolnikjx
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing thriller! I loved the character development and stayed up way past my bedtime to find out what was going to happen next. I highly recommend this author.
Annette Geiss
I am very happy there will not be a fourth Mrs. Durst. I wanted to like this novel, but as I continued to read, the narrative became muddied. So many scenes jumped out at me as preposterous and far fetched. The characters were entirely unlikeable.....I couldn’t conjure any affinity to the main character nor could I feel any sympathy for her. Thank you Netgalley and Midnight Ink for the opportunity to read and review this ARC.
Caroline
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got an advance copy of this book in exchange for a honest review. I found it very difficult to Iike the protagonist. She was mercenary and calculating. I actually hoped her husband might succeed in killing her before falling in love with someone less awful.

This tries to be an edgy, sexier version of The Wife Between Us and fails. The back story is basic, the characters are flat and unappealing. In fact, the only description that rings true in the whole book is one of an old bathroom. (I really
Julia
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, arcs
After JANE DOE I was primed to love this revenge story, nor was I disappointed. Learning elements of Marlena’s plan at the end wasn’t quite as satisfying as watching Jane’s plan from an inside seat, and the real life elements that come with both the name “Marlena” and “Durst” add another layer of sadness (as none of those women got a happy ending). The ending seemed a bit fast, but that’s easy to forgive for how much I love, love, love Marlena’s ride into the sunset.
Taylor Caitlin
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Third Mrs. Durst is the story of Marlene, a poor country girl from Kentucky who becomes successful in the modeling world and eventually attracts the attention of a billionaire, whom, if the title didn’t give it away, she ends up marrying. After they marry, she gets the opposite of a happily ever after with a controlling and abusive husband, who may have had more than a little to do with the deaths of his two previ
Shelved
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I received "The Third Mrs. Durst" by Ann Aguirre for free in exchange for an honest review. I was very excited upon learning this, as I have long been a fan of this author. One of my favorite book series ever was the Corine Solomon Series. (In fact, I think I may reread this again now!)

Okay-- so-- I knew this was a different type of book going into it. I liked the premise. It was dark and twisty and very reminiscent of "The Wife Between us." I could see what Ms. Aguirre was trying to do--it jus
Aala
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended for people who want a book about a girl fighting violence in a relationship like a boss (with some unexpected twists!)

Thoughts
The story line was something. I felt things were happening here and there and it just didn't seem to flow or go together nicely. Half the things that happened, could have been avoided. I felt like Marlena was not very clever. The book tried to make her seem really deceiving and cunning, but she really wasn't. *Insert husband's name that I have now forgotte
Miki Mackennedy
"Some people just need killing."

Marlena, a young girl from a nowhere town flees the shotgun shack, drug addicted mother and passel of half siblings to strike out on her own.

She hears of a way to be “discovered” by a talent agent and makes sure that she is in the right place at the right time. She is quickly signed on to modeling jobs and catches the eye of a very wealthy man who paves her way into a long term job in Berlin.

Soon, here benefactor takes a much more involved role in her life and
Roma Sharma
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was as fast paced as a book can get! It’s a story of revenge that you want to read in one go. The narration starts in the first person and hooks you immediately. It’s a classic domestic violence plot but with enough twists and turns to make you want to keep reading. The ending was a little drawn out but overall the book was crisp.
Marlena’s character offers some deep insights to life and you find yourself rooting for her. This book brings to light how difficult a seemingly easy life is. The
Laura Hanna-White
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this book really easy to get into.
I liked that we started off with Marlena as a young girl, and had a bit of back story on her. However, I almost feel like this would have worked better if her backstory/years as a struggling model was the main setting for her story, because as soon as she became Mrs. Durst, it went downhill quite quickly.
(view spoiler)
Kristin Lanier
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is creepy. Not in the ‘go to sleep with the light on’ creepy but in the ‘how well do we really know someone’ creepy.

This story follows Marlena who comes from a difficult background but ends up becoming a model. She gets swept off her feet by the handsome and wealthy, Michael Durst and basically quits her life so she can make a new one with her husband. Nothing is as it seems and the fairytale ends as soon as they are married. Mr. Durst is VERY controlling. His character was written so
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ann Aguirre is a New York Times & USA Today bestselling author with a degree in English Literature; before she began writing full time, she was a clown, a clerk, a voice actress, and a savior of stray kittens, not necessarily in that order. She grew up in a yellow house across from a cornfield, but now she lives in sunny Mexico with her husband, children, and various pets. She likes all kinds ...more