Start by marking “Two Brothers, Four Hands” as Want to Read:
Two Brothers, Four Hands

Two Brothers, Four Hands

The inspiring true story of the Giacometti brothers, one an artist, the other a daredevil, both devoted to their craft . . . but even more devoted to each other.

Everyone who knew them agreed. Alberto was the genius of the family. His younger brother Diego was his opposite--he didn't care much for books or schoolwork, and he had no idea what he would be when he grew up.
Published April 23rd 2019 by Neal Porter Books

To ask other readers questions about Two Brothers, Four Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Brothers, Four Hands

Start your review of Two Brothers, Four Hands
Melissa Mcavoy
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A spectacular biography of two brothers, their inter-twined lives and the struggle of both discovering what you are meant to do and living through the Second World War. Pair this with Game Changers: The Story of Venus and Serena Williams by Lesa Cline-Ransome for an examination of the importance of sibling relationships.
June Jacobs
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm going to be transparent here -- I had never heard of the artists Alberto and/or Diego Giacometti before I picked up this book off of the 'new non-fiction book' shelf at the local public library. But, as you may have noticed recently, I can't resist a good biography about the arts.

These interesting brothers were born thirteen months apart in 1901 and 1902 in Switzerland. Their father, Giovanni Giacometti, was a talented painter in his own right. When the boys were young, he gave them pencils
Sandy Brehl
This is a perfect example of the fact that picture books are actually a format, not a genre. In this case the format is ideal, since these two artist-brothers deserve a visual presentation of their life stories. It is also suited that their intertwined lives should be appear in a single book. Despite their differences in nature, one's work would not have been noteworthy without the involvement, skills, and dedication of the other.
This title is also an example that picture books should not be
Linda
Biographies seem to be coming out more and more in picture book form. Some introduce artists and their art, enticing everyone to know more and more. This particular picture book tells about these brothers, from their growing up, choosing (and not choosing) to make art, finally being in the limelight. No matter their poverty, no matter the austere lives they led, they did art!
Jan Greenberg and Sandra Jordan tell this true story of the Giacometti brothers, no matter the challenge, they devoted
Kris Dersch
I never thought my 5-year-old would make it through this one, which is clearly a book for older kiddos, but he liked it. I think it was just so visual. I didn't know these artists, but this was a a great story with a detailed narrative. I liked that fact that it could have thorough back matter, including a timeline, painting analysis, and notes on the narrative, without me feeling like the whole story was crammed in the back. It's long and would probably be most interesting to intermediate ...more
Peg
Spare text presents the intertwined lives of these two brothers, so different in temperament but both sculptors in their own right. Colors used to illustrate the mood, with heavy black line, convey the feelings of the brothers and the weariness of war. Back matter suggests to readers a variety of ways to approach art through a closer examination of Walking Man. There are also notes on the text Ana a bibliography. The only thing missing is where to see their works.
Kifflie
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of two Swiss brothers who both became artists. Alberto was the more talented "fine" artist, but Diego had skill in metalwork that complimented his brother. Greenberg and Jordan do a good job in outlining their lives and careers through the 20th century, and Hadley Hooper's illustrations show what the artist life was like and gives the reader a solid look into the artistic styles of the times.
Tracy Holland
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Biographical recount of Alberto and Diego Giamoetti, two artists and the lives that they led, both apart and together. Greenberg and Jordan capture the timeline of the two artists as they went from struggling artists, to famous (Alberto ending up or famous than his brother). Both had their own success in their art form.
Mary Goutermont
This is a great book for children. Along with the true story about two brothers it gives a background message of helping family members and that everyone no matter how different from yourself has great value and talent.
Rosan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading about art that I’ve seen and the story of its maker. Artists Diego and Alberto Giacometti lives as documented and illustrated in this book reveals what life was like living during WW2 in Paris as well as how they survived as artists. Wonderfully illustrated and written.
Beverly
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting book about Alberto and Diego Giacometti, close but vastly different brothers. I had never heard of these two brothers and knew nothing about Alberto's sculptures. Throughout their lives they were dependent on and supported by each other. Beautiful illustrations.
Kim
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A picture book biography about Alberto and Diego Giacometti, artists in the mid 19th century. Incredible back story, including how to discuss art, a timeline, and photos of the artists and their art. Give to every art teacher you know.
Paula
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting
Wendy Garland
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loyalty is at the heart of this relationship between two brothers. Art and passion drove the lives of these two sculptors.
Trish
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, biography, 2019
This book is about the Giacometti brothers. This is a nice bio for kids.
Robin
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating biography of artist siblings who have very different personalities and strengths, but work together brilliantly. Highly recommended for thoughtful readers ages 7-10.
Anna
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty dense. Did not enjoy.
Pam
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Informative text about Alberto and Diego Giacometti - two brothers who were also artists. Greenberg takes readers from childhood to after Alberto's death.
Timeline at the end of the book.
Roben
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, paris, biography, 4th-6th
I have seen the art work of the Giacometti brothers- and now I am happy I know their story. Very accessible though more appropriate for 4th grade and up, I think.
Josie Stewart
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot about these artists.
Amy
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this biography of the Giacometti brothers. The illustrations were wonderful and I loved the story of these 2 devoted, talented brothers.
Shauna Yusko