Start by marking “Music for Mister Moon” as Want to Read:
Music for Mister Moon

Music for Mister Moon

What if you threw your teacup out your window...and what if it accidentally knocked the moon out of the sky?

A girl named Harriet longs to play her cello alone in her room. But when a noisy owl disrupts her solitude, Harriet throws her teacup out the window and accidentally knocks the moon out of the sky in frustration. Over the course of an evening, Harriet and the moon
Published March 26th 2019 by Neal Porter Books

To ask other readers questions about Music for Mister Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Music for Mister Moon

Ksenia
Mar 31, 2019 added it
Shelves: publicist-books
Another beautiful book from the Steads about shyness and exploring what you love in the comfort of your own space, and not to the masses.
Beth
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Phillip Stead's books never follow a logical predictability to them, but are always delightfully quirky and have a dignified absurdity to them. This book is no different.
Teresa Bateman
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
In this soft and sweet story Harriet Henry, or "Hank" loves to play her cello, but not for an audience. Indeed, she prefers the quiet of her own room where she can be totally herself, and create her own world. However, when the moon gets stuck in her chimney she must extend herself a bit to help him. This is a gentle story with lyrical language and soft muted illustrations that aptly suit the text. The story can be understood on many levels, and should be a balm for introverted children who do n ...more
Julie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
There’s something missing in more than one place in the telling of this story that leaves the reader confused. You’d turn the page and start reading only to flip back to check and see if you had accidentally turned 2 pages. Nope, you really hadn’t missed a page and yep, the story actually had oddly dropped off. I even wondered momentarily if the book had been bound together out of order. The illustrations, especially Mister Moon, the hat maker (bear), and the fisherman (walrus), we’re really ado ...more
Anthony
When Harriet "Hank" Henry, throws a tea cup at an owl, and knocks the moon from the sky, she makes it up to him by doing things with Mister Moon that he's always wanted to do. Will she grant Mister Moon's final request, and play her cello for him, even though she is nervous about playing in front of anyone?
Stacy
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Although I love Philip Stead and Erin Stead, I found this book lacking something. It didn't have the "magic" their books usually contain. I love the bear hatmaker and walrus fisherman! Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of this book and found it slightly boring, and the ending was not my cup of tea.
Cat
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Did not really know what to make of this story. Little girl uses her imagination to find privacy to play her cello. Beautiful illustrations. I don't know....Some budding musician may enjoy this tale, especially shy ones. Just seemed like there could be more to the story. Sorry.
Beth
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous book about Harriet Henry and Mister Moon. While trying to play her cello, Harriet becomes annoyed by the hooting of an owl and throws her teacup, missing the owl but knocking to moon from the sky. Beautifully written and illustrated. Highly recommended.
Jessica
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really enjoy the Steads’ books but this one fell flat for me. Her parents turning to penguins and disappearing from the story. Throwing the cup at the owl. It just didn’t feel fluid. The illustrations were beautiful as always. Just not my favorite...
Paula
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Just a beautiful book
Lindsey
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful
Josiphine/Tessa
This book is incredibly beautiful. The story and the illustrations complement each other perfectly.
Betsy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Historically a fan of the Steads' work, I found myself not a fan of this latest collaboration. It's just odd.
Brenda
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A picture book with a very dreamy feel. Love the owls!!!!
Edward Sullivan
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, music
Gentle, comforting, and whimsical story.
Leonard Kim
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the Stead-iest book yet. I read it with a furrowed brow throughout and I would not recommend it to *anyone*. And yet, it might be their masterpiece.
Alicia
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dreamy.
Jillian
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a very pretty book, and there were lots of things about it that I liked, but it never really turned into a cohesive whole for me.
Dianna
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awesome but also pretty weird. Amazing pictures. Unfortunately the cello is shaped more like a small string bass but everything else was dreamy.
Kathryn
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Great illustrations strange story
Earl
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet and a bit quirky with beautiful illustrations as to be expected.
Julia
Apr 11, 2019
Kate Compton
Mar 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Philip C. Stead is the author of the Caldecott Medal winning book A Sick Day for Amos McGee, also named a New York Times Best Illustrated Book of 2010 and a Publishers Weekly Best Children’s Book of 2010, illustrated by his wife, Erin E. Stead. Together with Erin, he also created Bear Has a Story to Tell, an E.B. White Read-Aloud Award honor book. Philip, also an artist, has written and illustrate ...more