Start by marking “My Heart” as Want to Read:
My Heart

My Heart

From the author-illustrator of The Book of Mistakes comes a gorgeous picture book about caring for your own heart and living with kindness and empathy.

My heart is a window. My heart is a slide. My heart can be closed...or opened up wide.

Some days your heart is a puddle or a fence to keep the world out. But some days it is wide open to the love that surrounds you.

With lyric
Published January 8th 2019 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Heart

Calista
A very simple book that is hefty and powerful. This is a simple rhyme for all ages, young to old. The artwork is so delicate and amazing. It uses shadows and shapes hidden all over the place with a black, white and yellow palate. As we were reading this, the kids would point out all the hearts they could find on the page.

This is about knowing you have control over your heart. Some days its open and some its closed, it can be small and it can grow.

The niece really enjoyed this story and she gav
Lisa Vegan
Lovely illustrations!

I wasn’t as enamored of the story/text. It left me a bit cold.

Perhaps for me it’s like the A Friend is Someone Who Likes You book, one that is best read at the right age and/or the right time to fully appreciate it.

three and a half stars
David Schaafsma
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
“There are days it’s a fence between me and the world,
days it’s a whisper that can barely be heard.

There are days it is broken,
can still open again.”

Corinna Luyken's Book of Mistakes was one of my favorite picture books of 2017--I just love the art and I liked the message about the importance of mistakes--so I was eager to read this, and it is wonderfully sweet and typically beautifully illustrated, with delicately etched black and white and colored
La Coccinelle
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a beautiful little book about... well, the metaphorical heart. It's about love and heartbreak, empathy and kindness, and all the other wonderful (and not-so-wonderful) emotions that come with being human.

The illustrations, done in a limited colour palette, are really quite striking and help highlight the gentle sentiments of the book. There's no plot, really, other than the story of feeling and being human.

I'd recommend this one for the pictures alone. The text is beautiful, but without
Beth
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"There are days it is broken,
can still open again."

Popular culture likes to perpetuate the narrative that our hearts are fragile. But really, our hearts are resilient. And Corinna Luyken helps us remember how strong we are because of our hearts.
Abigail
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Corinna Luyken Fans / Readers Looking for Heartfelt Picture-Books
The immensely talented Corinna Luyken, who in 2017 made her picture-book debut with the beautiful The Book of Mistakes , and who has also recently illustrated Marcy Campbell's Adrian Simcox Does NOT Have a Horse , returns in this lovely third title. A poetic meditation on the heart, and our choice to keep it open or closed, it pairs a simple but thought-provoking text with gorgeous monotype print artwork.

My Heart is a book which rewards careful and repeated reading. I have a colleague who dism
Erika
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, I really like Luyken's work. I just think, in this book, she used imagery that a young child wouldn't really be able to unpack. If the book was billed for an older audience, the imagery would be really beautiful way of conceiving of the stirring of our hearts
Melissa Eddington
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book about hearts...open hearts, closed hearts, broken hearts and more!
تماضر المهدي
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a heart that is closed
can still open again.. <3
Raven Black
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Very solid 3.5 While the concept might be above the very young, the "older" younger child should understand. However, lack of a traditional "action story" might turn some children off. The lack of color (mostly black & white and gray) with the exception of the yellow "heart/love" color, might also turn off more visually aimed children. However, this would be a great gift for an adult. I could see it as a wedding gift, anniversary gift, possibly even a sympathy gift.
The Reading Countess
Simplistic, yet dichotomously grandiose in its explanation of our inner workings, don’t discount My Heart for the older kid. They need to remember what it is to be human, to open and shut and begin again in love, too.
Maria Caplin
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a heart print book. Anchor text for all conversations ❤ ...more
Shaye Miller
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book shares a powerful message with very simple black, white, and yellow drawings. With only a few words per page, Luyken uses light and dark to demonstrate the feelings of the heart. There are also hidden hearts found within the illustrations (tops of flowers, puddles, clouds, trees). I couldn’t wait to share this one with my husband when I read it. He really, really loved it, pointing out meaningful elements. I think we may need to get a copy for our home library.

The illustrations in this
BrookesEducationLibrary
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delicately illustrated and moving piece of poetry about the strength of a human heart and it's power to love.
Hizatul Akmah
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
oh my god,,,, the illustrations....the poem..... i am — weak.
Kate
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a children’s book about the various ways a person’s heart can feel. The pictures are a little drab.
Margie
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For most beings it beats out a cadence of life. It comes in all shapes and sizes. If broken, it may be mended. It's capacity for collecting (or not) is far greater than its physical size would indicate.

We store many things in our hearts, some tiny and some enormous. An attached significance determines its prominence. My Heart (Dial Books for Young Readers, Penguin Young Readers Group, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC, January 8, 2019) written and illustrated by Corinna Luyken (The Book of
Andrew
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Luyken's signature illustration style, metaphors for the heart are depicted in a beautiful poem-- sometimes we hope, sometimes we hurt, sometimes we fly. Our hearts are open or closed. Our heart changes with each day. Absolutely lovely book for all ages, even adults.
Lauren
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful. Amazing. Gorgeous. Emotional - all kids need this book!
Leslie
Written in rhyme, Luyken is lyrical, evoking images of how the heart can manifest itself in known and unexpected ways. It’s the unusual written images that, of course, captured my attention.

The first image is familiar: “My heart is a window.” But what follows after the comma held my imagination: “my heart is a slide.” My mind considering the printmaker’s monotype of ink and pencil: the forward lean of the unseated child at the top of the slide: anticipation, exhilaration, the belly-flutter in th
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

Author and illustrator Corinna Luyken (The Book of Mistakes, Adrian Simcox Does NOT Have a Horse with author Marcy Campbell) returns with the quietly powerful and poetic My Heart. Opening with: "My heart is a window, my heart is a slide", Luyken's latest reads as a soft and potent song within the pages of a picture book. Taking readers through a lyrical and visual exploration, My Heart shows readers the many ways in which one's heart can be and exist- closed or open; messy and "heavy wi
Richie Partington
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: MY HEART by Corinna Luyken, Dial Books for Young Readers, January 2019, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-7352-2793-4

“Just open your heart and it’s a start.”
-- The Moody Blues, “The Balance” (1970)

“There are days it’s a fence between me and the world,
days it’s a whisper that can barely be heard.

There are days it is broken,
can still open again.”

MY HEART is an exquisitely-illustrated poetry picture book about feelings. The rhythm and rhyme and accompan
Brindi Michele
If I could give this book 10 stars, I would.

This is probably my latest favorite picture book. I knew from the minute I picked this up, I'd love it. From the stunning, simple illustrations, which gave me goosebumps, to the heartbreakingly beautiful (and accurate) text, that had tears streaming down my face, this book is one of the most powerful of its kind.

This sweet little book. <3

I have it sitting on my desk and I don't want to put it back on the shelf. I want it where I can see it, so I ca
Dana Storytime Account
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I said I wasn't gonna get teary eyed but it was a lie. This is a very simple yet extremely powerful book. I love that it goes through all the different emotions and ways your heart can be and doesn't make it seem like a closed or broken heart is necessarily a bad thing, it's really important to teach children that all of their emotions are valid and I think this does that in a very powerful way.
Annalise Nakoneczny
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2019
I found this picture book in a bookshop today. I can't stop thinking about it. It's beautifully illustrated, poignant and rich, and I want to read it with my future babies by a fireplace. This is one of the most honest picture books I've read (that sounded strange but it's true).
Heather Jensen
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story about how resiliency of the heart. The best part about it, is the last line "I get to decide."
Michele Knott
Oh, my heart. It's beautiful.
Mrs. Krajewski
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Sharing this with my own kids, and my high school students. ❤ ...more
Cheryl
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book I want to read again and again <3
Gaby
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this is beautiful beyond words! I got this book for myself, but I read it to my class and they loved it, too! We talked about the author’s use of color and what they thought the metaphors meant (I was impressed!). beautiful, beautiful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Good Day, Good Night
  • My Blue Is Happy
  • Run Wild
  • The Thing Lou Couldn't Do
Corinna Luyken is the author-illustrator of MY HEART as well as THE BOOK OF MISTAKES, which received four starred reviews and has been praised by Entertainment Weekly, the Wall Street Journal, NPR, and more. She also illustrated Adrian Simcox Does NOT Have A Horse, written by Marcy Campbell. She lives in Olympia, WA with her husband, daughter, and two cats. You can see more of her work at www.cori ...more