Start by marking “The Suicide Gene” as Want to Read:
The Suicide Gene

The Suicide Gene

She thought they were her siblings. By the time she realized they weren’t, one of them was dead.

Doctor Emma Kerr had no right counseling them. Adopted and her birth records lost, she believed she was born a McKinney. Her face, intelligence, and depression resembled theirs. For years people mistook her for their sister. So she devised a plan. What begins as a scheme to coun
Published September 19th 2018 by The Wild Rose Press, Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Suicide Gene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Suicide Gene

Yellagirlgc
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Suicide is such a controversial subject. Emma Kerr is a psychiatrist counseling siblings. In the siblings family there's a history of female twins and suicides. Emma has always wondered if there's a suicide gene. Emma had a lot on her plate with her job, pending divorce, questions about her birth parents and new relationship.
I liked that I wasn't beat over the head with the suicide subject in a bad way. The pace was nice and the characters were interesting. Sharon and Giff had me laughing a few
Bill Callahan
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a thought provoking novel about the idea of our predetermined destiny. It holds your interest in many areas of intrigue complex family relations. Situations play out in ways that are not predictable or maybe in a way the reader might not think.
InD'tale Magazine
A very interesting theory of suicide being a possibly inherited gene is explored, while the beginning takes a close look at one on one counseling sessions.

Read full review in the 2018 Oct issue of InD'tale Magazine.

Kat
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic piece of writing this book was and just got my attention from page one and never let go till the last page. A hard book in many ways because of the intensity of the subject matter and a very different plot line full of many different subject. the characters were exceptionally well described and developed more as the book went on. Although perhaps not a book for everyone due to the subject matter I would recommend if you want a real page turner. my thanks to NetGalley and wild Ro ...more
Diane Hernandez
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Dr. Emma Rose is convinced that there is a Suicide Gene that makes some families, like the Hemingway’s, more likely to kill themselves in this introspective thriller.

Emma is a psychiatrist counseling the McKinney family before one of their members commit suicide. Emma struggles with her own marital and psychological issues. She was adopted and her birth files have mysteriously disappeared. Her lifelong obsession with genetics leads her to conclude that her patients are her long-lost siblings. Th
Christine Grabowski
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
The Suicide Gene hooked me from the first chapter when the book started out with the death of a woman. (I’m not giving anything away there.) But some key facts, such as the person’s identify, were held back. When the author made a leap into the past, I wanted to keep reading to find out who the person was and what series of events led to her death. The plot was unlike any other I’ve read. It touched on so many interesting things from identical twins to adoption to Ernest Hemingway, and of course ...more
Jayne M.
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! A great combination of mystery and introspection. I absolutely loved the ending.
Colleen Driscoll
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
CJ Zahner writes a compelling story in the Suicide Gene. When Emma Kerr counsels four members in the McKinney family, she struggles to understand the siblings’ troublesome family history and make sense of their secrets. The novel’s dialogue flows naturally with believable characters who shoulder painful pasts. The reader follows Kerr’s steps into dangerous schemes and feels for Kerr as she is caught in the McKinney’s web of deceit. Zahner brilliantly draws in the reader as the plot unravels and ...more
Sharon M.
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This thought-provoking page turner will keep you wondering until the very end. Has a little bit of everything, mystery, suspense, romance, etc. Will make you wonder about your own genes and family traits. This is a great debut novel by an author who knows how to pull you in. Can't wait to read more of her work.
Amanda
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title and description of this book intrigued me, and I was pleasantly satisfied with this book! Thank you #Netgalley

As I read about Dr. Emma Kerr's journey, I become invested in her birth journey and the lives of the McKinney family. I was genuinely surprised with many of the twists and turns and was very happy with the conclusion of the book. I appreciated the author doing an epilogue of "where they are now" type of update to wrap up each characters story.
Amk256 King
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant piece of writing ... gripping, dark, twisty and most definitely thought provoking. I hope to read more by this author and would recommend this book.

Thank you to Net Gallery for an ARC of this great read.
Illustrious Illusions
I'm not really sure how I feel about The Suicide Gene. I'm usually a very character driven reader - if I don't like the characters, it's hard to read the book. And I don't like any of these characters, but the plot and twists kept me thumbing through the book just to see what happens.
Kat
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loraine
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The main character in The Suicide Gene is Emma Kerr, a psychiatrist who is counseling a local group of siblings whose mother committed suicide. Emma is adopted and has always thought this may be her biological family, so she begins to explore the possibility of a suicide gene. Emma counsels each sibling individually and soon discovers some dark family secrets. During this time, Emma is sure someone is following her, which adds to the mystery. Meanwhile, Emma is struggling in her marriage and her ...more
Carolyn LaFata
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Suicide Gene by CJ Zahner is a book that will easily captivate your attention!! I did not want to put this book down, and neither will you! It is suspense filled and intriguing!! Enjoy reading this amazing book by author, CJ Zahner. You will not regret purchasing the Kindle Edition or book!
Jane Mccartney
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The intertwining themes in this mystery leaves the reader on edge up to the very end. CJ Zahner is on her way to a great future as an author! I highly recommend reading The Suicide Gene. It's like no other page turner!! Read It!! I will definitely read this again.
Heather Cass
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a book with a good plot twist, and there are more than a few in "The Suicide Gene," which will keep you guessing all the way until the end. You might think you know what's going to happen next or where the book is going, but you probably don't. CJ Zahner manages to hook readers quickly and keep them dangling for 300+ pages. I read it in just a few days because I had to know what was going to happen next. Also, I sort of fell in love with Attorney Boy.
Heather Havern
Sep 04, 2018
Carol Crandall
Sep 19, 2018
Literary  Chanteuse
Nov 03, 2018 marked it as mystery-suspense
For a star rating and full review please visit InD'tale magazine online, October 2018 issue. http://www.indtale.com/reviews/other/...
C.J. Zahner
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
janet vieyra
Dr Rosanne M Palermo
Oct 28, 2018
Evan R
Nov 14, 2018
Question from the Author to the Readers of The Suicide Gene 1 2 Oct 09, 2018 09:39AM
Cyndie "CJ" Zahner is a digital-book hoarder, lover of can't-put-down books, runner, author, and Mensa wannabe. That last trait explains the inspiration for her first novel, The Suicide Gene. Her second book, Dream Wide Awake, was inspired during long runs on Presque Isle State Park in her hometown of Erie, Pennsylvania. She is a proud mother of three and an even prouder grandmother of one.

Before