Start by marking “Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)” as Want to Read:
Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)

Whisper of Bones

(Widow's Island #3)

Dark secrets from the past bob to the surface in the third novella in the Widow’s Island series.

When a body washes up on the state park beach, Deputy Tessa Black’s experience as a former Seattle detective tells her that the death was not an accident. All evidence points to another murder on the remote island.

The victim is a local contractor with a shockingly
Published October 22nd 2019 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about Whisper of Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whisper of Bones

Start your review of Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
Lori Lamothe
Quick Engaging Read

Melinda Leigh's Whisper of Bones is the third novella in the Widow's Island series, which is set on a small island in the Pacific Northwest. Though I was unfamiliar with the series, I had little difficulty following the overarching story and got a good sense of Tessa and Logan, the two main characters in this installment. Like Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4), the novella contains two mysteries: a present-day murder and the disappearance of Deputy Sheriff Tessa Black's ch
☕️Kimberly
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
In this installment, we are back with Deputy Tessa Black & former Army Ranger Logan Wilde. Logan is the islands new Forest Ranger. He is Tessa’s boyfriend and suffers from PTSD. He is also the brother of one her dearest friends. A friend who went missing years ago. A body has turned up on one of the state park beaches and the two investigate.

I love the remote island and its unique setting. Everyone knows everyone, and the local doctor is also the coroner. Of course for big cases,
Maggie Mac
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just love this series, I just could not put it down.
Erth
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Richard
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Here we go again. Just 12 months ago I devoured the first two books in this, what now appears to be, expanding series, Widow's Island - A novella series by Kendra Elliot and Melinda Leigh, set on remote islands in the Pacific Northwest, off Seattle.
Each author has form in this type of project where each write a separate instalment in the series.
Melinda did book 2 and now writes book 3. While Kendra wrote 1 and brings us book 4 later this month.
The writing is seamless and the timefra
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
This was a decent installment. I felt like the h led the H around by his balls. I thought he was a cop too yet h was telling him things every step of the way.

SPOILER

I thought the end was a little iffy. The h was holding a gun, yet the child walked in without noticing. It felt unbelievable that could happen and only as a plot device.

I also didn’t get much romance. I don’t need it. I’m fine with mystery/suspense. But if a book is sold as a romantic suspense or teases you w
Anita
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, novella, mystery

The novella is not my favorite mystery format. It is just to short for much character development and the mystery is fairly easy to solve, although in "Whisper of Bones" there were several great candidates for the baddie. The slow, easy romance is another element that could benefit from more pages and more heat. But overall, for its length, this plot was really grea
Jessi
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc, 2019
Knowing that this is book 3 in the series, I was curious to see how it worked as a standalone, and in my opinion it does. I really liked how the characters were introduced, the background information that was provided, and how the overarching story of a missing woman fits into the main case.

This is a straight light police procedural with subtle hints of romance. I really liked following the two main characters and seeing them work together as well as apart. If anything this story left me wantin
Sophia
We are back to the remote Widow's Island joining former Seattle Police detective now Deputy Tessa Black and former Army Ranger now Forest Ranger, Logan, for a new grisly murder that washed up on the shore of one of the smaller nature refuge islands. I was glad to be back in this world for a new case and advances on the older cold case that Tessa and her best friend are investigating.

Whisper of Bones is the third of the Widow's Island series of novellas written by a writing duo, each
Cindy
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whisper of Bones is part 3 in the series that takes place on remote Pacific Northwest island.

Deputy Tessa Black and her boyfriend Park Ranger Logan Wilde are called out to a beach where a body has washed ashore. This book takes us through their interviewing many people who all have reason to want the deceased dead. Their job is figuring out which one of them actually did the deed.

Along with that we get to see how Tessa is dealing with her mom who is getting worse with in her early onset Alzhei
Tarrah Marie (Wayward Readers)
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is book three in the Widow’s Island series and can be read as a stand-alone. However, it does do the reader favor to read as a part of the series as all books are novellas. Melinda Leigh captures the reader’s attention from page one and holds onto it the entire way through. Her scene setting of the wintery small island and descriptive characterization only serves to build a suspenseful storyline. There are relationship aspects woven into the storyline between main characters, Tessa and Loga ...more
Cherry London
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning of this book, the intrigue level started building up, it totally captivated my interest from the finding of the body. You can tell the medical aspects of this story were well researched. I like the comradery between Kurt, Cate, Tessa, The Doc Henry, and Logan, they work like a well-run team. Me and my carelessness I should have red Bred to the Bones first, I hate it when this happens, it’s like reading the end of the book before the beginning, bummer. I love this book its page ...more
Maria
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review
An interesting thriller with well-developed and relatable characters as usual in Melinda Leigh’s stories, “Whisper of Bones” (Montlake Romance) is a quick read, perfect for a cozy autumn evening.
A strong heroine – Tessa, a deputy – and her love interest – Logan, a former Army Ranger, dealing with PTSD and the memories of the horrors of war – feature in this book, where a long-time mystery is yet to be solved.
The setti
Andi
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this latest instalment in the series of novellas.
Just enough to keep you enthralled with an ending that I did not see coming.
Looking forward to the next one to see if the cold case is solved.
Carolyn
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leigh-melinda
I just wish I did not have to wait a year for this next episode in the novella series. Hopefully, the next one will not be a long wait.
Dawn
Dark secrets abound as a body washes up on the island’s state park beach and for Deputy Tessa Black, another murder has occurred and it’s a race against the clock to find out what happened as well as who the killer is…before they set their sights on Tessa.

I was mixed about starting the third book in the Widow’s Island series after the meh I got reading books one and two. I gave book three, WHISPER OF BONES, a chance and it was interesting if a tad bit short. What hampers these storie
Cari
Reading these Widow's Island novellas by Melinda Leigh is a lot like watching an episode of CSI or Law and Order... if you watch the first five minutes (or read the first five pages) you just have to see how it ends. Who did the murdering? Will they strike again? Are the good guys going to win?

Other than successfully drawing my interest, Whisper of Bones was just okay for me. I can't say that I'm particularly keen on any of the characters and I loathed the narrator's voice, which I think made me find issues with the storytellin
Book Him Danno
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whisper of the Bones is a short novella that Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot have written together using several different characters different points of views.

After finishing the book I had to go back and reread the first book. I was a little lost. The author crammed a lot of things into a short amount of pages an while sometimes it works this time I have to admit something was missing. The connection between the two lead characters in this book didn't seem connect. Male lead even b
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

And so this quick read covers the investigation to find the killer. There are many suspects and a lot of people who wanted him dead. The victim is a contractor who no one liked.

As Tessa’s investigation heats up, arson and a vicious assault convince her the kille
Sue Plant
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: melinda-leigh
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this brilliant book in the series

i am never a big fan of short stories but this author has a knack of pulling you in and keeping you wanting more

a body washes up and murder is suspected...on investigating the victim tessa finds there are numerous suspects, but who could be the killer..and can they identify that person before they strike again...

there are enough elements in this short story to keep you ho
Linda Leone
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Widow's Island novella series. I would recommend starting a series at the beginning to get a full picture of the characters and the circumstances. I always enjoy Melinda's books and this was no exception. If you are looking for a quick series i recommend this one.
Thank you to netgalley, the authors and publishers for the advance readers copy.
Dee Cherry
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This 3rd book of the series held my attention as the natives investigated the murder of a well known, but not well liked contractor, Jason. Emphasis also placed on unsolved case of Samantha who was a childhood friend of Tessa. Logan and Tessa become closer, providing a nice romantic balance. Good addition to series
Darcy
Maybe because I read the next book before this one it was a bit blah to me. Even the little kernel of hope Tessa and Cate had by finding the necklace seemed not so much.
Todd Glaeser
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Too short, as a murder mystery it deserved novel length. It wrapped up too quickly, the over arching subplots didn’t move forward much. There’s a lot to cover in one last novella.
Dilushani Jayalath
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Kindly received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This novella series is slowly warming up to me. It's quite fun when the mysteries are solved relatively easily and the romance is taken a back seat from everything. With the length of the novel, romance really does not have enough space to spread out on. Just like the previous book this one too has enough going on to keep you interested till the last page and it's short enough you aren't bored.
Lindsey Ruppe
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great add to the Widow’s Island series. Tessa and Logan’s romance heats up while there’s a murderer abreast the tiny island. All the while Tessa is dealing with her ailing mother. And the mystery of Tessa’s best friend and the discovery of her missing locket. Can’t wait for Kendra’s installment! Thank you Melinda, for the ARC ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Sandra R
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
An intriguing and well written mystery/murder/romance novella. Number three in the Widow's Island series and I would recommend you start this series from the beginning to understand the ongoing backstories. There are 2 main couples and 2 authors. Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliott take turns writing these books and each focusses on one couple. In this one we have Tessa (Deputy police officer) and Logan (a forest ranger - ex military). Their romance is slow burn and ongoing from book one, although ...more
Tracy Wood
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third of four novellas by Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot concentrating on the inhabitants of the worryingly named Widow's Island!  I thoroughly enjoyed the first two stories but these final two instalments pack a little more of a punch as things reach an explosive conclusion.

Deputy Tessa Black has been back home for eighteen months when she is called to the scene of the death of a local contractor. Once it becomes clear the victim was not universally loved and had been murdered Tes
Lisa
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received Whisper of Bones from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Whisper of Bones is the third installment of the Widow's Island Novellas, by Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliott. The pair make for a powerhouse collaborative writing duo as both are compelling storytellers in their own right.

Whisper of Bones picks up the story of Deputy Tessa Black, formerly a detective with Seattle PD, who has returned to Pacific Northwest Widow's Island where she grew up to care for h
Rabid Reader
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The 3rd novella in the Widow’s Island series is a fast paced, suspenseful murder mystery with a touch of romance. When a body washes up on the shore of Camilla Island, Deputy Tessa Black is once again thrown into investigating another murder. As the list of suspects grows, Tessa has cope with trying to find a killer, care for her teenage half-sister and a mother with developing Alzheimer’s, as well as handling her blooming relationship with Forest Ranger, Logan Wilde. To add to her load, a new c ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I See You (Criminal Profiler, #2)
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • Break the Silence (Detectives Kane and Alton, #7)
  • A Merciful Promise (Mercy Kilpatrick, #6)
  • Met Her Match
  • The Seekers (Krewe of Hunters #28)
  • Fallen (Deep Ops, #2)
  • Cabin 1 (Steele Shadows Security #1)
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • See Them Run (Detective Clare Mackay #1)
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • Stone Cold Heart (Tracers #13)
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
  • Blood Night (Krewe of Hunters)
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
  • Say You Love Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #4)
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
#1 Wall Street Journal and #1 Amazon bestselling author Melinda Leigh is a fully recovered banker who learned that writing books is way more fun than analyzing financial statements. Melinda’s debut novel, SHE CAN RUN, was nominated for Best First Novel by the International Thriller Writers. Since then, she has garnered numerous writing accolades, including two RITA® Award nominations and an induct ...more

Widow's Island (6 books)
  • Close to the Bone (Widow's Island #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island #2)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • Below the Bones (Widow's Island #5)
  • A Broken Bone (Widow's Island #6)