Start by marking “Quantum Mechanics” as Want to Read:
Quantum Mechanics

Quantum Mechanics

On a nowhere asteroid on the far rim of the galaxy, two young alien girls—Rox and Zam—spend their days tearing apart and repairing clunkers in a spaceship junkyard. These aspiring gearheads yearn for the chance to test their skills on something besides rusted old rockets and broken-down planet-hoppers. Their big chance finally comes when the captain of a mysterious ship ca ...more
Published October 23rd 2018 by Lion Forge (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Quantum Mechanics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quantum Mechanics

Chad
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
Jeff Weigel really knocked it out of the park with this one. This was originally intended to be a children's book before morphing into a graphic novel so it's suitable for all ages.

Two young alien girls are kidnapped by a pirate to be mechanics on his ship. There for the first time they really get to test themselves as they become friends with the crew and grow up. The characters are all well rounded with great character designs. This book is just pure fun. I hope we get to see more of Rox and
Mimi
Predictable storyline, but fun to read anyways. Also suitable for younger readers.

I received a copy through Netgalley.
This book is so much fun. It was late. I just wanted to take a peak before I went to bed. I ended up reading the whole thing through and getting to bed about 2am.

The basic story is that two girls get kidnapped by pirates, space pirates, because they are so good at repairing space ships.

So they make the most of it, while they try to figure out a way to get home.

The characters are fun, and real, well, as real as alien space pirates can be. The bad guys are not who you think they are, and I love
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
I loved this.

I don't often read graphic novels. I go through spurts with them, but mostly I forget they exist until something catches my eye or I have the odd hankering for one. Today was one where I just wanted something light to read over my lunch break. I thought maybe a kid’s graphic novel would fit the bill perfectly. I was right.

Jeff Weigel does a great job on all points with Quantum Mechanics. The main characters are cute, likable, and gutsy. They're also girls who are budding mechanics (
Travis
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
* I received a copy through NetGalley. Thanks, NetGalley! All opinions are mine! *

This book is awesome with awesome sauce.

PROS:
* All of the protagonist are lovable.
* The villains dastardly, if perhaps a bit 2D.
* Reminds me a lot of 'Star Wars', with plucky heroes who make do with what they have.
* Fabulous art.

CONS:
* Rather predictable plot.
* As mentioned, rather 2D villains.

Over-riding all PROS/CONS, however, is that this book is just *ridiculous* amounts of fun!
Vi
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
cute making, tinkering book. PLUS PIRATES. and some diversity talk.
Pop Bop
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Ripping, Girl's Own, "Treasure Island" in Space

Actually, it's more like "Kidnapped", but you get the idea.

Rox and Zam are frustrated young mechanics/tinkerers on an isolated backwater asteroid when a space pirate shows up looking for some repair help. The pirate is rebuffed by Rox's Dad, but after Rox and Zam sneak onto the pirate ship to give it a look-see they end up being kidnapped and forced to serve as on-board mechanics, (that is, the future space version of cabin boys). It turns out that
Holly
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at ragdollreads.co.uk

I got me a new favourite graphic novel!

TL;DR – A pair of young mechanics are kidnapped by pirates. Adventure follows.

Ragdoll Rating: Exceptional

Recommended For: Fans of comics, especially girls ’cause it has 2 awesome female leads!

About the Book…

Rox and Zam live and work, tinkering around in a space junkyard. One fateful day, a real pretty ship comes asking for repairs, but is turned away. The girls offer their services, but find themselves quickly kidnapp
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Quantum Mechanics by Jeff Weigel, 223 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL. Delacorte (Penguin Random), 2018 $13
Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.

BUYING ADVISORY: EL - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Rox and Zam love to work on their own project in the space junkyard. There is never the parts they need but they learn to get creative. When a real space ship, The Quasar Torrent comes to ask for help, their dad refuses. But Rox and Zam want a challenge and offer to help. They do such a great job
Theediscerning
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very good comic, not least because it features two go-getting girls with a clear taste for STEM subjects. Rather than hang around on an asteroid knocking together derelict spacecraft, they perk up when an old friend of the family turns up with his crew. Unfortunately, they turn out to be pirates, and when the girls get on board – allegedly just to mend a tractor beam – they find themselves press-ganged into the career. Cue a rollicking drama, that has a lot of action and character. I ...more
Mrs. Jocelyn Bystrom
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 4-7
Strong female leads in the futuristic graphic novel.

pp 16-18 possible read aloud section as an intro to the main characters and as a hook to whet the appetite for this graphic novel. Introduces Rox and Sam as aspiring gear heads, who overhear about an opportunity to do some repair work. An opportunity that brings many twists, unexpected turns and becomes a nightmarish adventure which requires quick thinking, courage and intelligence to resolve.

Great lead 1 - for ADST curriculum (discussion star
Vinayak Hegde
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Got his through Netgalley ARC. Good storyline though a little predictable. The artwork was fantastic. The fact that the two quantum mechanics are female was novel. A good space pirate story. A fun read.

The best part was at the end of the book where the author talks about the comic-book art and how he makes it. Though I had read this in other books it is always nice to see the idea plot, character sketching and the artwork storyboard that went into making the book.
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.

This was good. I quite enjoyed it. The illustrations were very fitting to the story. It wasnt too original which was a bit of a shame but the story was still a fun read. I liked the characters and think this was well written. Definatley enjoyable and worth grabbing a copy to read.
Rebecca
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an arc in exchange for an honest review

I really enjoyed this comic, it's kind of aimed at middle grade readers I think but it's the kind of comic that anyone can enjoy. It's a fun space adventure with young female kickass mechanics and space pirates who ride around in a spaceship shaped like a skull. What more do you want?!

I enjoyed the story, the characters and the art, and I'd read more by Weigel in future.
Kerstin Wolf
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Edelvweiss and Diamond Books for getting me a digital review copy.

Space pirates and girls who like tinkering? Sign me up! This space adventure hit the spot perfectly! I'd highly recommend this to anyone feeling like taking break to a outer space!

Also, Zam has to be one of my favorite graphic novel characters. She's just the best!
Theresa
Really cute middle grade, science fiction graphic novel. Two young mechanics find themselves kidnapped and traveling through space with a group of pirates on the run from the authorities. Fun characters, nice story, easy to follow. Two thumbs up for young readers.
Mark
DPL hoopla
Chris
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly fun and enjoyable read! I sucked me in from the start and held on to the very end!
Chris
Fun little graphic novel. The main characters are likable, the art is charming, and the plot zips along. It's a kid's book, but enjoyable enough as a quick read for an adult.
Heidi
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Cute. Well worth recommending to a kid that likes science fiction.
M.L.D.