Jump to ratings and reviews

Manifest Destiny #1

Manifest Destiny

Thanks to the ghosts who have been chained to her since birth, Maxi Cotter has given up on hoping for a normal life. The weirdness surrounding her keeps people away and has had her hopping from foster home to foster home her whole life. Her only goal is to increase the stash of cash meant to support her when she ages out of foster care, using the ghosts to do “impossible” tasks that her classmates pay for.

Maxi’s solitary life changes when not one, but two people discover Maxi’s secret and find it fascinating rather than frightening. Sheridan Daniels can detect the ghosts and insists that Maxi let her join some of her jobs to see them in action. Devin Courtney tangles his personal interest in Maxi with his need for her help. The three embark on a mission to find Devin’s missing sister, Sydney. They uncover not just nefarious intentions at Sydney’s school but a lonely, vengeful ghost who isn’t about to let Maxi leave. Stopping the ghost means blowing up life as Maxi knows it…and possibly leaving her more alone than ever.

ebook

Published September 1, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

N.J. Damschroder

6 books11 followers
NJ Damschroder grew up in Massachusetts, and loves the New England Patriots more than anything. (Except her family. And writing and reading. And popcorn.) When she’s not writing young adult adventure novels, she does freelance editing and project management. She and her husband have two daughters, one of whom is also a novelist. (The other one prefers math. Smart kid. Practical.) You can learn more about her and her books at njdamschroder.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (33%)
4 stars
2 (66%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 of 1 review
Profile Image for Katie Blythe.
182 reviews4 followers
December 21, 2018
*This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review*

Maxi Cotter’s parents died when she was young so she has been shuffled around in foster homes her whole life. Ever since she was born, she’s had three ghosts who have always been around. Most people thought she just had imaginary friends, but when she didn’t grow out of them and kept shouting at nothing, most people didn’t want to deal with that or couldn’t handle it. Now as a 16 year old, she’s living with a family and has learned to be more careful and cautious when talking to her ghosts. They help her out at school and people pay her to get things done for them. She does things and finds things out that no one knows how she does it. She doesn’t like all the jobs but she saves all the money she makes so when she turns 18, and is out of the foster care system, she’ll have a start at least. She’s hired for one job and is caught by a girl named Sheridan. No one else has ever heard or seen Maxi’s ghosts, but Sheridan seems to be able to sense them and vaguely see them. Maxi tells Sheridan about her ghosts and instead of being freaked out about them, she’s cool with them. There’s a boy at school named Devin who asks Maxi to do a job for him. His twin sister Sydney is at a tech school and he thinks somethings off. She didn’t come home to visit like she usually does, and he’s left messages with her for days and hasn’t heard from her. He wants her to go with him to the school to try to figure out what’s going on. She decided to help but also decides to tell Devin about the ghosts too and he also isn’t freaked out by them. The three friends, along with the three ghosts travel to the school to find out what’s going on with Sydney and come across a lot of, not so legal activities going on.
I really enjoyed this when I first read it, but after thinking things through, I do realize there were a lot of unanswered questions. Why exactly were the ghosts attracted to Maxi? What happened to the tech school and all the kids in it? Why could Sheridan sense the ghosts when no one else could before? I still found this a fun read but even a line explaining some things would help answer some questions I think. I did enjoy this though and would recommend this. I flew through it because the story was very entertaining.

***Review has been done in conjunction with Nerd Girl Official. For more information regarding our reviews please visit our Fansite: www.facebook.com/NerdGirl.ng***
Displaying 1 of 1 review

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.