Start by marking “One Last Summer” as Want to Read:
One Last Summer

One Last Summer

They have the whole summer ahead of them. Is it enough to rekindle the friendship they once shared?

Published February 5th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about One Last Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Last Summer

Linda
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good, inspiring, sad, emotional, touching, insightful, loving, heart wrenching, beautiful book. From the very first page to the very last word you won’t be able to put it down. It will touch your heart and soul in ways that you won’t soon forget. I cried so hard in places then laughed out loud in others. The three main characters in this book are so wonderful. So loving to each other and so hell bent on having a great summer despite the outcome of one’s life. The love of friends i ...more
ROBIN RUIZ
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you had only one last summer left ?
Harriet, Audrey and Lisa have been friends for a very long time. Sharing highs and lows over the years!
Since it’s been 6 years since they’ve spent any quality time together , Harriet rents an old Abbey ( which is being restored) to spend the summer with them. Not letting them know that this will be her last summer , as she has terminal cancer .
These ladies were so different but are exactly what one needs, although at times I wanted to yell
Bambi Rathman
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A best friend is someone you can count on no matter what. This book is about Harrie who has called on her best friends to spend the summer with her at a beautiful priory. She has a desire to make the most of "One Last Summer" with the friends she has loved and lived life with. Although it's been six years since the friends were together, they meet back up just like they had seen each other the day before. Like nothing had changed....but things had changed.
For me this is a story about friendship
Paula Sealey
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
An emotional but beautifully told story, we follow Harrie as she gathers her two oldest friends together to spend the summer with her at an ancient Priory in the countryside. Her friends think this is a chance to catch up with each other after a few years apart and have some fun...and it is, but unknown to them, a cloud hangs over the proceedings, as this will be Harrie's last summer.

I wouldn't usually choose a book with illness at the forefront of the plot, but I'm so glad I opted to read this
Kerry Croucier
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel was beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. It also hit very close to home, as I am about the age of the three main characters. I spent a good bit of the end of the book teary-eyed. Harrie, Audrey, and Lisa have been friends for almost 30 years. They haven’t been together as much the past few years and Harrie decides to rent a large, beautiful old house in the English countryside where they can spend the summer together, enjoying each other and their time together.
This was a be
Jeanette
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story and quite an emotional read! As a cancer survivor myself, this book had me thinking how lucky i was. This is the second book that i have read by Victoria Connelly, the previous book being 'The Heart of the Garden'. Both books are excellent reads and cannot wait to read more by this author. Highly recommended.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review.
Patti Kirkpatrick
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice story about three lifelong friends reconnecting for the summer. Although the story was set in Britain, the story is universal. I liked the characters and could identify with parts of each of them.

I "won" a copy of this book - thanks to Goodreads. It was an easy read and very entertaining.
Karen Whittard
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thought provoking tale, of love, life, family and friendship. One that had me on the verge of tears. I really loved this beautiful book and will recommend it to all that will listen.
Jypsy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
One Last Summer is a sad story about last chances. While the story is touching and relatable, it's too depressing for my taste.
Nancy Ahyee
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Publisher's description: "Harriet Greenleaf dreams of spending the summer in a beautiful ancient priory on the Somerset coast with her two best friends—but her dream is bittersweet. On the one hand, it’s a chance to reconnect three lives that have drifted apart; on the other, she has a devastating secret to share that will change everything between them forever.

"First to arrive is Audrey—the workaholic who’s heading for a heart attack unless she slows down and makes time for herself. Then Lisa,
Joan
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harriet Greenleaf has terminal cancer and has come to terms with her prognosis, supported by her daughter, even though she has once survived her breast cancer. Now the cancer is incurable and she knows this will be her last opportunity she has to be with her family and friends. She decides to treat her two best friends to a summer of reigniting their friendship which started when they were at university training to be teachers. Her two friends are very different: Audrey is a workaholic who has j ...more
Pamela
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harriet Greenleaf invites her two best friends for one last summer holiday together. She’s rented a 13th century priory that has been converted into a B&B. She and her friends haven’t spent a summer holiday together in six years, in fact, they’ve barely seen each other during those six years. Audrey, the workaholic, has been too busy with her startup business to spend time doing anything but work. Lisa is still chasing her dream of becoming an actress even though she’s been reduced to making ...more
Lindsey
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Victoria Connelly is an author I just discovered through this NetGalley request and I'll be adding additional copies of her titles to my to-be-read shelf. While reading One Last Summer I laughed, I cried, and I wanted to call each and every one of my friends who has ever meant the world to me and to also live life to the fullest as if tomorrow were an unexpected gift.

It was a moving tale with flawed characters (man, I wanted to smack those girls sometimes) which made them feel very real. The pr
Cindy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beautiful cover is what originally drew my attention to this book. Once I started reading it, I was hooked on the author's words. It's a sad story but it was well written without being outright depressing.

Harrie is the voice of the story and we learn that this will be her last summer due to a terminal illness. She decides to spend the summer at a priory with her two very best friends who do not know about her illness.

We get her thoughts and fears and I could imagine how hard it was to tell
Lynn
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harriet has rented a priory for the summer and has invited her two best friends Audrey and Lisa to join her. She is hoping they can reconnect and deepen the friendship these ladies have had since college. The all gather at the beautiful priory and their journey begins. What Audrey and Lisa don’t know is that Harriet has a deep secret that she has been hiding from them the past few years. Is their friendship strong enough to handle what is coming?
I did enjoy this book, but if I am being honest an
Helen Edwards
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This isn't the first Victoria Connelly book I've read, and although I always enjoy her work, I thought One Last Summer shows how her writing has matured. It's beautifully written. Although you might think reading about a woman who is terminally ill would be depressing, Connelly writes in such a way that the sadness and poignancy is tempered by many uplifting moments. I couldn't help but hoping that there would be a twist at the end, but the ending is fitting. It's a good read, and I loved the in ...more
Mandy
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Victoria’s books, loved them, and recommend them!

One Last Summer is very well-written and, as in other books, Victoria deals with real-life subjects with enormous empathy and tact. We see three old friends – Harrie, Lisa, and Audrey – spending the summer together in a beautiful rented country house, but there is a specific reason for this. One of the friends is terminally ill and wants one last summer with her friends.

Unfortunately, I am still grieving the loss of my own fathe
Jeff
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Summer. Given the premise of this book, one would expect a "perfect summer" story - and to a point, that is what you find here. But this "perfect summer" also has quite a bit of drama as our central character fights with herself over how much to share of her situation and when. There is quite a bit of laughter and even some hijinx. There is an epic "last supper". But overall, there aren't the tears that maybe one would expect with a story with this premise. Maybe it is the male in me, bu ...more
Lisa
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harrie has been best friends with Angela and Lisa since they trained as teachers together.

Arranged by Harrie, the friends are now spending ‘one last summer’ at a beautiful priory in Somerset where they are looked after by the fearsome, but protective Mrs Ryder. The house and grounds are described in such a way that the reader can sense the calm and tranquil atmosphere Harrie was aiming for.

As the story progresses, we learn more about the three main characters; their humour, their frustrations,
Leanna Mattea
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was difficult to read. A young person with a terminal illness, is not an entertaining subject, but Harrie’s handling of her situation was courageous. She brings her two best friends, to an old Abbey that she rents for the summer, to tell them, and spend her last summer with them.
This is about courage, friendship, love and the need to be with those you love best, in times of loss. Set in an ancient restored Abbey, Victoria Connelly shows off the beauty of the old, the magnificent garden
Lori Boyd
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harriet has two best friends, Lisa and Audrey, who, thru time and life, have been distanced. She has a grand plan to rent a Priory for 6 weeks and get caught up with her friends. This time together comes with it a huge secret that Harrie needs to share with them. If you had One Last Summer, how would you handle it?

Not your typical love story, but a love story of friendship and family. This book will leave a huge lump in your throat. Quick and emotional read, some parts seem drawn out but it all
Jodie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I suggest having a box of tissues handy when you read this book!

After reading this book I've definitely done a lot of reflection on my life and what I've deemed "important." I suspect that many of those things would change if I were diagnosed with a terminal illness, like the main character in this book. Harriet knows she is dying and spends one last summer with her two best friends and her daughter. She focuses on the simple pleasures in life - walking barefoot in the grass, listening to the wi
Gena - My Book Reviews for You
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-first
One Last Summer was a beautiful novel! I enjoyed the characters and how the friends’ relationships were portrayed. Harriet has rented an old priory for her to spend a few weeks in with her two close friends. She wants to spend this special time with them to reconnect and share her secret with them. The women hit some rough days, especially once they find out Harrie’s secret. But along the way they reminisce, bond with each other, and form new friendships with some people they meet at the priory. ...more
Debbie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book I have read by Victoria Connelly and I really enjoyed it. I just wanted to keep reading and reading! It really was full of emotion. It really made me want to call up old friends or my sister and get away! . I would love to be able to plan a retreat with my friends and get away from day to day life and really relax. Harrie is a great loving character who was coming to terms with her life by planning a summer get away with her best friends and I could feel they were really ha ...more
MaryAnn
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
One Last Summer was an engaging read that was filled with beautiful descriptions of the unusual place Harriet chose to reunite with her friends for one last summer.

While I would recommend this book, I didn't care for the characters. They were well rounded and described well by the author, but they just didn't click for me. I don't know why, but I did continue reading because I was interested in how the story would unfold.

It does make you wonder what would you do if you knew for certain your time
Patti
On February 5, 2019, I received the book One Last Summer by Victoria Connelly for free through Goodreads First Reads. I wanted this book because I love books that have friends getting together with a hint of mystery; however, the mystery part was to easy to guess and within the first six pages I was right. It was a nice book to see Harrie and her friends Audrey and Lisa get together, a very easy read. The book did though get boring and predictable at times especially with the man thrown into the ...more
Hannelore Cheney
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the eARC.
This book was quite emotional and sweet. Harris is dying of cancer and wants to spend one last summer with her best friends. She has hired a beautiful ancient prior so as to spend quality time with her beloved friends for the last days of her life.
Knowing she is fatally ill, she is reluctant to tell her friends until the end of summer. With a heroic attempt to keep negative thoughts at bay, she tries to absorb all the love that surrounds
Noreen
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a pretty sad story to read about a woman who is terminally ill, acknowledges her time left and wants to spend the summer with her best friends and adult daughter. Harrie has kept the knowledge of her illness from her friends for many years but time is running out and she wants to really enjoy what time she has left with those who are important to her. Harrie wants a summer of carefree days at an ancient Priory with those who mean the most to her.
Kathleen Gray
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harrie, Audrey, and Lisa are three very different women but they are united in their love for one another. Harrie, who is dying of cancer, brings them back together after too long apart. The ancient priory near the sea is a good setting for this story that might seem familiar but for the characters. It's still special because each woman has realistic quirks and because it's not all hugs and kisses- Audrey and Lisa pick at each other a lot. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. It' a good read that ne ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Deep Harbor
  • The Most Fun We Ever Had
  • The (Half) Truth
  • The Strange Journey of Mr. Daldry
  • Wildflower Heart (The Wildflower House #1)
  • My Kind of Forever (A Trillium Bay Novel Book 2)
  • The Parisians
  • The House We Called Home
  • Freedom Road
  • Auntie Poldi and the Vineyards of Etna
  • The Apotheosis
  • The Spitfire Girls
Victoria Connelly grew up in Norfolk before attending Worcester College where she studied English Literature. After graduating, she worked her way through a number of jobs before becoming a teacher in North Yorkshire.

In 2000, she got married in a medieval castle in the Yorkshire Dales and moved to London. Five weeks after their wedding, her husband, a television news cameraman, was sent to Israel.