Start by marking “The Strange Journey of Alice Pendelbury” as Want to Read:
The Strange Journey of Alice Pendelbury

The Strange Journey of Alice Pendelbury

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  22,866 ratings  ·  1,787 reviews
From international bestselling author Marc Levy comes a witty and beguiling novel of one woman’s unexpected journey to follow her destiny.

Alice Pendelbury believes everything in her life is pretty much in order—from her good friends to her burgeoning career. But even Alice has to admit it’s been an odd week. Not only has her belligerent neighbor, Mr. Daldry, suddenly becom
Published February 5th 2019 by Amazon Crossing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Strange Journey of Alice Pendelbury, please sign up.
SuZanne I really do not know if it was the publisher's decision or the writer's. My guess is that it is a "chic" audience, so the "chic" title is more appeali…moreI really do not know if it was the publisher's decision or the writer's. My guess is that it is a "chic" audience, so the "chic" title is more appealing to women. But I am just trying to second guess marketing people.(less)
Maxine
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  22,866 ratings  ·  1,787 reviews

Start your review of The Strange Journey of Alice Pendelbury
Mo
This novel had a VERY promising beginning. However, it got bogged down in the middle, and then offered up one of the most unsatisfying endings I have ever read.
Linh Nguyen
A scented journey with all of Marc Levy's trademarks, from the plot to the poetic details, and characters. What I like about this book is the way he filled every pages with scents, I can see drops of them in the air, or feel them in my nose, all are very enjoyable imaginations. I even kinda fell in love with Istanbul, a place I've never known before. Humid London or colorful Istanbul, both were shown at an impressive level of vividness and beauty.

However I would not consider this as my favourite
PeppyKC
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever gasped out loud from a book? Has a revelation in the story ever shook you to your core with a flood of emotions? Saying this book took me by surprise is a severe understatement.

Let me start by saying I’m Armenian. This should be irrelevant for a book about a British woman in London. But it’s not. When in the book they describe a magical, beautiful land of the protagonist‘s ancestors, and say it’s “between the Caspian and the Black seas” you know it literally has to be Armenia. The
Chris
May 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming story about a young woman who with the prophecy of a carnival boardwalk fortune teller, discovers she has a whole other life in a foreign country. The paces she goes through with her co- tenant in their apartment building is sweet and he ultimately accompanies her in her search. What is charming is that at first neither liked or thought any positive thing of one another and that all changes through the story.

As she researches information and feels a sense of familiarity in places in Tu
Nhi Nguyễn
They said this book is one of the best by Marc Levy. Sadly, to me, it's not.

The idea of this book is great, and the premise is kinda appealing. But as the story went on, I just felt like something had been missing, and not quite sure what it is, but the story just couldn't be emotional, heartrendingly beautiful as other genius, golden novel by this author that I really really adore, like "Où-es tu?", "La prochaine fois", "Si c'était vrai"... Maybe I love it more when his novels are set in contem
Moonkiszt
Uncommitted at first but then fully invested!!!

The beginning wasn't sticky at all, and then it became pretty clear what the core story was. . .and even correct guesses didn't turn me away from staying engaged to the very last word.
Aimee
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was originally published as The Strange Journey of Mr. Daldry.

The story started off strong, but the second half took a turn and meandered around for a while before wandering toward the finish line.
Andy
This was such a fun story!

Alice Pendlebury has never been quite satisfied with her life. She loves working with perfumes, but she isn't quite sure how to turn it into a career. During an outing with her friends, they convince her to visit a psychic which she does reluctantly. The psychic tells her the most important man in her life was right behind her and that she'll need to undertake a journey to meet 6 people who will lead her to secrets about her past.

Alice is shocked and haunted by this pr
Reader of Books
Started off good but at chapter four I really lost interest. I might try this again but I doubt it. Slow, and the characters annoyed me. 2.5 stars.
Rachel McMillan
Jan 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG I loved this book

I loved it. I loved the premise and both hero and heroine were my catnip. I supposed the main outcome pretty early on but I am a hardcore romance reader; what I loved was the small twists and turns along the way and the thesis on love and independence. I also could smell, taste and feel Istanbul. Bonus points for a stopover sequence in Vienna!

I loved it! I LOVED the cerebral banter between Daldry and Alice and I loved how slowly the threads of Alice's history intertwined wi
Camille
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really excited for this one. I've read all of this new books since 'Toutes ces choses qu'on ne s'est pas dites'. In my opinion, that book was far better than this one. Usually I find with Marc Levy's novels is that they take time to pick up. This one I found it was exciting from the start. As I kept reading I started getting bored, I felt it was too predictable. I figured out the ending very quickly. I didn't enjoy the rest of the book. I was actually disappointed. I think this book would ...more
Kerry
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely tale about love, friendship, self discovery and a mystery to be solved.
Alice Pendelbury has her fortune told by a gypsy on a trip to the seaside. What she is told makes her question who she is. As a result she travels to Turkey with her friend and Neighbour Mr Daldry to find out if the fortune teller was right and that she’ll meet the most important person of her life there.
A great read.
Elle Lee
2.5/3 stars

I was disappointed in this story, which held some promise in the beginning, but it fizzled out by the middle and was a complete let down in the end. The story was long and drawn out with many scenes that do nothing to move the story forward only contributed to the torturously boring middle and general slow pace of the entire book. Very little happens in the first three-quarters of the story, there is no real climax, and the ending, which becomes easily predicted halfway through, is ra
Dawn Michelle
Book. Hang. Over.
That is what I have right now. Massive. Book. Hang. Over.

Marc Levy is fast becoming one of my new favorite authors and I am so glad that I got to read this book!!

It is difficult to review this book without giving anything away and trust me, you DO NOT want to have any kind of spoiler with this book - this book is best read knowing nothing going in but the title and just diving in and savoring it and falling in love with it and with the characters. Alice and Ethan are just suc
Natasa
This book holds a lovely story that encompasses several elements which make it an interesting read. The plot and characters include romance, adventure, mystery, travel and history. The reader gets a glimpse of post-war life in London and learns some history about the Armenian genocide of the early 20th century. The descriptions of both locations in London and Turkey are colorful and vivid, which readers will appreciate.
Kathy
Apr 24, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I don't usually read romance with the exception of Georgette Heyer's books...but Amazon sent me email with a passel of free books and this was one of them. I started several and deleted them from my kindle, but I stuck with this as it was light, fresh and good hearted. I suppose it is good to stray from favorite genres once in a blue moon. A little silliness now and then is ok. ...more
JW
Premise: Woman visits a fortune teller and what she is told sets her on a journey from London to Turkey. Along the way, she discovers things about her family and her past and makes new friends and connections.

This is my first book by this author; I had heard good things about the writer and decided to try him out. Although the story was enjoyable and listening to the audiobook made chores much more entertaining, I wasn’t gripped by the story. I could have honestly stopped listening and been oka
Christine M in Texas
Alice Pendelbury works with fragrances for perfumes. She works in scents, which integral in this story.

One day, Alice has a strange encounter with a fortune-teller who tells her she will meet someone special. But she will meet several people before meeting that someone special. Her life is pretty straight forward but she journeys to Turkey on the suggestion of Mr. Daldry. He agrees to finance her trip in return for the use of her apartment.

A strange trip embarks! Is she imagining things? She i
Brianna Massie
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5**

What a beautifully written novel. I am a huge fan of books told through letters, and while it bogged down the middle of the story a tad, I still found it charming and witty.

I loved seeing Alice’s friendships and her witty personality. I particularly loved Mr.Daldry’s sarcasm. My favorite parts of this book were mainly within the first 75%, the author was amazing at placing you right in the center of the setting. I could feel the atmosphere so easily.

The ending wasn’t the most satisfying o
Brandy
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little leery of this book in the beginning. Took me awhile to get invested, but by the end I completely loved it. Loved the characters, the journey, the descriptions of people, sights, smells...all of it!
Mariam
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful frolic. Enough depth that it towers above your typical beach vacation read. But not a heavy lift.
Maxine
Aug 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining story about Alice Pendelbury-a young Englishwoman who, while merrymaking near Christmas, with friends, visits a fortune-teller, on a dare and receives a cryptic reading. Alice doesn't believe in fortune tellers, and laughs, afterward, as the fortune teller told her not only that she was born in the Ottoman Empire, (Which has since become Turkey) but also to find the man who follows behind her, and who will be the most important person in her life, she must go to Turkey. She will fin ...more
Dana Zayas (admmgz)
Charming short story full of self discovery, friendship and an unexpected love & loss. I found the story of Alice Pendelbury to be quite intriguing. The need to know answers plagued me until the end. I found my opinion of her friendship with her neighbor, cranky Mr. Daldry, to be constantly evolving throughout the story. The authors descriptions of the settings were fantastic and made me feel as though I were there in London and Istanbul. I was actually quite surprised with the book as I haven’t ...more
Tammy
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the author missed a cultural opportunity. Alice and Daldry are in Istanbul, Turkey half the time but don’t immerse themselves in the culture. I do love how much she was exposed to new scents, which gave her a lot of ideas. I’m not good at predicting endings but it was obvious from the start that she had parents in Turkey. Also, cringingly obvious she and Daldry would get together. I found him high maintenance, an irritating teaser, misleading, and an old grouch who drinks too much. I ...more
Amy
What I liked:
Alice is a Nose - a person who creates perfumes. The descriptions of scents and how powerfully tied they are to memory was interesting.
I tend to like novels written in the WWII or post WWII era. This one took place post-war and captured the feel of that time well.
All the information about Turkey, especially the descriptions of Istanbul and surrounding areas. The history of Armenians persecution in Turkey and how it tied to Alice's origins.
The revealed love interest was so
Farnoosh Brock
Aug 17, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one wins the "Most Boring Book" Award of all the books consumed by yours truly.

I read this book mainly for putting me to sleep at night with the Kindle and it did the job so well, it's a wonder I finished it. I have never had less interest in the characters, and oh how dull and how boring they managed to be even if they were in Istanbul, a city I lived in for a year. How can you make a trip to Istanbul researching perfume shops and hoping to run into your soulmate so boring? There was way w
Laurie Locke
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10 Word Review: Woman goes on journey with grouch because of fortune teller.

Spoiler Free Review: I read this as a Rad Read with my Facebook book club, Pop Culture Book Club, and I had never heard of it before. This was a lovely gem of a book, and I’m so glad I read it. It has a little bit of mystery, a little bit of romance, and a whole lot of charm!

The main character is what is called “A Nose,” which means that she’s highly sensitive to smells. As a result this book does a fantastic job of tra
Melissa Dee
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’d like to thank Mark Levy for the delightful (and unexpected) trip to Istanbul with Alice!
“The Strange Journey” takes us on a search for the man of Alice’s dreams (in both a literal and figurative sense.) By a strange twist, the very British Alice ends up in Istanbul, and discovers far more than she expected about her history.
This novel was just plain fun, with an endearing cast of characters, and an exotic setting.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts an
Karla Kay
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, historical
Enchanting Novel

I quite enjoyed reading this book! The subtlety of the adventures throughout the characters connections and journey was an enchanting storyline. I enjoyed the characters strengths and flaws. It was a gently endearing story that had me in tears as the characters journey came together as one. Beautifully written.
Valerie
I read this book for the ATY 2020 Reading Challege Week 27: A historical fiction. A gypsy reads your future. However, she also reads your past. Through the journey you undertake you discover things you never knew about your family and your life. Perhaps it is a love story, maybe it is a mystery. You just might have to decide.

• You, Me, and the Colors of Life
  • The Singing Trees
  • Reluctantly Home
  • The Storyteller of Casablanca
See top shelves…
Marc Levy was born in France. When he turned eighteen, he joined the Red Cross, where he spent the next six years. In 1983, he created a computer graphics company based in France and the United States. Six years later, he co-founded an interior design and planning company with two friends; the company soon became one of the leading architecture firms in France.

At thirty-seven, Marc Levy wrote a st

News & Interviews

For those with a taste for nonfiction—or even just a curiosity about what’s out there—we’ve gathered below the most popular nonfiction titles...
“Si j’aimais une femme, la plus belle preuve d’amour que je puisse lui faire, c’est de ne jamais le lui dire, pour qu’elle ne prenne pas le risque de vivre avec un type comme moi” 10 likes
“I think one person’s courage can defeat the complacency of a thousand others.” 3 likes