Start by marking “My Lovely Wife” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  11,710 ratings  ·  2,305 reviews
Dexter meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith in this wildly compulsive debut thriller about a couple whose fifteen-year marriage has finally gotten too interesting...

Our love story is simple. I met a gorgeous woman. We fell in love. We had kids. We moved to the suburbs. We told each other our biggest dreams, and our darkest secrets. And then we got bored.

We look like a normal couple. W
Published May 2nd 2019 by Michael Joseph (first published March 26th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 26, 2019
    INSTANT USA TODAY and NATIONAL BESTSELLER!

#1 Library Reads, IndieNext, and Amazon Best of the Month in Thriller!

Dexter meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith in thi

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

·  11,710 ratings  ·  2,305 reviews

Lala BooksandLala
    I loved this nasty little book.
    Susanne  Strong
    4.75* Sinful Stars! (rounded up)

A Brand of Crazy All its Own.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid! Next time your neighbor or someone else smiles at you, perhaps you should just look away. Catching their eye could be extremely dangerous.

Me: Smiling wickedly as I read: “I love this, but it is vile! I really shouldn’t be liking this so much, I mean, it’s so not right, but I just can’t help my darn self!"

Me: Laughing mischievously, “Oh my gosh, is this actually happening? I cannot believe she just did
    Deanna
    My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Wow! What a read!

I had no idea what to expect after reading the description for this novel. However, I knew I had to read it, and once I started, there was no going back.

Dark, disturbing, and so very clever. This novel really was impossible to put down.

The book opens with a man approaching a woman in a bar. He slides his phone towards her, and she reads the message he has typed on it…

“Hello. My name is Tobias”

She is unsure
    Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
    Five Crazy Solid Stars

I am not going to get into very much of this plot. I went into this book blindly and suggest you do the same. It was a big surprise. Millicent and her husband have two children and live in the suburb. They seem to be a normal family like everyone else in the neighborhood. They get very bored in their fifteen year old marriage, which is very dysfunctional. They want to thrill their marriage up and they are hiding very dark secrets to keep their marriage alive.

This is one cra
    Melissa
    There's no denying I'm one tough customer or a picky chick as I've so lovingly dubbed myself. Being the lone misfit who can't seem to get in line with a book everyone else is awarding high ratings is proof positive. At 110 pages in, I have no choice but to jump ship. The “shocking revelations” I’ve encountered thus far aren’t enough to overcome the husband’s bland delivery. Or more candidly, I'm bored. Maybe I’ll give Millicent’s husband another opportunity to amuse me with tales of his *lovely ...more
    Julie
    Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    My Lovely Wife is a 2019 Berkley publication.

Sly, witty, and brilliant!!

The tile, cover, and intriguing synopsis for this book made it sound too good to pass up- and it was!!

The premise is mostly original, as a husband and wife and their two children enjoy ,what appears on the surface, to be a nice normal, healthy, family life. However, this married couple, instead of engaging in a little role play to spice up their marriage- indulge in a little murder on the side instead.

The husband, who ne
    Kaceey
    4.5⭐

Be prepared to be shocked!😳

If only I could give you a broader glimpse of what this book is about. Unfortunately, nearly everything I’d want to share would end up being a spoiler! So friends…less is more!

Millicent and her husband are living the typical suburban life. Both work, while raising two children. And of course, trying to keep up with the Jones’. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.
    However, their “extracurricular activities” are, oh… a bit different than you and me (at least I hope so
    Meredith
    Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: edelweiss

My Lovely Wife is a f*ed up psychological thriller about a husband and wife’s extremely interesting fetish!

A couple married for 15 years takes up an unusual “hobby” to keep the spark alive. While their plan works to help their marriage, it can only work for so long before they are exposed. In order to keep having their secret “date nights,” they concoct an elaborate scheme resulting in a masterful game of cat and mouse.

My Lovely Wife is an ADDICTIVE and TWISTED read that held m
    (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
    4.5 twisted, dark and thrillingly fun stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 - I absolutely LOVED Samantha Downing's My Lovely Wife

I am a Dexter fan - both the books and the television show so this book filled a definite void for me. Man meets woman. Man and woman fall in love, get married and have kids. Happily ever after becomes routine and a bit mundane.

How do you liven things up and bring back the excitement and intensity of falling in love? Well you'll simply have to read the book to find out. I will tell you that
    j e w e l s
    FIVE STARS
    Facetune-26-02-2019-10-20-23

MY LOVELY WIFE, my lovely knife, my lovely nightmare come true….aaaahhhh! You guys know how much I love a literary serial killer, but this is the first time I’ve read about TWO killers married to each other. You know, as in wedded bliss. Perfect harmony. Until death do they part. Get ready to be shocked. You are about to enter cray-cray town.

The lovely cover should be blasted with a lovely warning label: DO NOT START READING UNLESS YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO FINISH TONIGHT. It is paralyz
    Felicia
    Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    *deep breathing to calm myself so I can write this review*

Ok so when I got this book in the mail I literally jumped up and down while holding it to my chest....aaaaannnd I may have squealed just a little bit. My boyfriend thinks I'm a nutcase.

Samantha Downing's debut novel is de-friggin-licious.

Since the description for this story gives practically nothing away, I don't want to spoil the readers experience whatsoever with a detailed review.

The prose is precise and to the point, never once get
    marilyn
    I was lucky enough to win My Lovely Wife in a Goodreads Giveaway. I knew the book was about a couple that murders and that the book had really good reviews but I didn't know much more. Recently I read the book with JuJu and Gail and what a fun way to read a book like this one. There are so many twists, turns, and shocks that I could not put this book down. Every chapter ended with me wanting to find out what happened next. There was just one shock after another and it was fun to get to share my ...more
    Crumb
    Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There are three things you should know about Millicent.
    1. She fills a room with her charisma and beauty
    2. She's a perfectionist
    and
    3. She's a psycho

This book surprised me in the best way. I couldn't put it down. I was actually having a conversation with a friend the other day, and I remember saying "if you aren't gasping at every turn and you keep taking breaks, than why are you reading it?" I may hold my books to a fairly high standard, but why shouldn't I? There are way too many stories out the
    Larry H
    Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley

4.5, maybe 4.75 stars, rounded up!

If you're looking for a heartwarming love story, a tale of two people whose marriage is so full of love and devotion...find another book. This was one crazy, tension-filled, suspenseful book that had me shaking my head and wondering what would come next!

On the surface, they seem like the perfect family. He is a tennis pro at the local country club, she is a successful, high-end real estate agent. They have two teenage kids who play sports, do reasonably well in
    Lindsay - Traveling Sister
    5 stars! Thrilling, edgy and addictive!

I am in shock that this was a debut novel! Wow – Samatha Downing – I am very impressed!

This is a truly unforgettable story that will stay with me long after I have written this review. This book lived up to and, for me, surpassed the hype surrounding it. I won’t give any plot details as I think it’s best to go in blind. The narration was skillfully executed. The flow and pace were smooth, precise and consistent – kept me on my toes from start to finish. Th
    Theresa Alan
    Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    WOW! 5 big stars exclamation point. I went into this book without knowing anything about it. Right away I was intrigued. By the end of chapter one I was super intrigued. And I didn’t have to read all that much more before I started wondering what was wrong with me that I found this book, which I should have found way more deeply disturbing than I did, very readable and fast-paced. Seriously, I had to speed-read the ending because this is such a thrill-fest.

This story is demented and unbelievably
    Holly  B
    Definitely a different kind of marriage...

Millicent and her husband are anything, but your normal couple. Their secrets are out of the normal realm (truly dark secrets). They may look like the perfect couple, but in this case, looks are deceiving, very deceiving!

They have been married for years and have two children. The family dynamics are off the charts with Millicent at the forefront running things her way. More like her way or the highway! You could call her a  "controlling" wife. She se
    Holly
    I have a lot of things to say about this book, none of them good, pretty much all of it is a spoiler. I will say that I am literally the only person, out of all 20 (as of right now) GR friends who have read this, who did not like this book (4.56 average GR friend rating!). So consider that fact before deciding to spoil this entire book's plot by reading my ridiculously (and uncharacteristically) long spoiler below:

(view spoiler)
    Tammy
    Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Pure evil beneath the facade of suburban comfort. I was encouraged by my GR friend Susanne to read this and despite my weariness with thrillers, I will admit that this works. If thrillers are you thing....go for it.
    Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
    It's my favorite time of year! The time of year when the weather finally stops being hot as balls and all the creepy stuff is all over. You don't even get judged for being a fangirl of the monsters under the bed!

But most of the books I've read have been mostly not my normal October read fest. *sad face*

So I needed something...….

And this one delivers!!!

It's told from the husband's point of view. How he met the lovely lady and they fell deeply in the lurrvvee. Then they realize that they share a
    Berit☀️✨
    Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019, arc, book-besties
    WOW WOW WOW this book was CRAZY WILD!!!

Samantha Downing has constructed a highly addictive, deeply disturbing debut. This book was simply brilliant! Truly the next level of crazy! Mind blowing and mesmerizing, I could not put this book down! Such an absorbing read that will completely suck you in from that very first page! Oh how can a book that is so very wrong be so very right!?!?

This is the “love story” of a couple who has been married for 15 years... in order to spice things up in the relat
    KAS
    Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Completely and Captivatingly Cray-Cray!!

To what lengths would you go to impress the one you love? Would you do the unthinkable just because you are so infatuated? Would you do it over and over again just for the thrill of it?

Good golly, I enjoyed this thriller. It isn’t the scary type compelling you to sleep with the lights on, or has you jumping at every little sound. No, this one gets inside your thought process begging you to workout scenarios in your head as to how all the lunacy wi
    Debra
    Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: edelweiss
    I'm flat in the middle of the road on this one. With the tagline of Dexter meets Mr. & Mrs. Smith, I knew what I was getting into and it sounded right up my alley. The problem is- I've been in this alley before. I'm quite familiar with the alley and for that reason this book failed to really "wow" or "shock" me. Just hearing about "H" I thought " I bet it's the other way around..." then we meet "H" and well.... I also had my theory on how this book would end - obviously not all the details, ...more
    Michelle
    Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
    I have seen a lot of positive reviews coming in for My Lovely Wife and I'm hear to tell you that the hype is real! This book is so much fun!!!

What happens when two people fall in love, get married, have children, and then decide to spice up their life with a rather unusual extra-curricular activity? The body count rises. That's what happens.

This is a twisty little book so I'm not going to discuss the plot but I will say *THAT ENDING*, whoa! That ending was everything I was hoping for. Samantha
    Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
    5 PSYCHO stars!

I pretend I don't hear her, go straight to the door and shut it behind me, then continue until I am out of her building, down the block, and around the corner. It is only then that I stop and wonder how she figured it out. I must have slipped.

I cannot believe this is a debut! This was an insane ride. All you thriller loves, jump up and get this book because it's definitely one of the best this year.

Millicent and her husband (very clever of the author to never reveal his name) ha
    Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

EDIT: FLOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAT FOR THIS BABY'S BERFDAY. MITCHELL GAVE THIS STABBY GOOD TIME TWO TUSKS UP!

“Did I marry a psychopath?”

Stop me if you’ve heard this one . . . .

Yeah, you didn’t stop me because you haven’t read anything like this before. The story here is of Millicent and her husband. She’s a real estate agent, he’s the local tennis pro. They live in a coveted neighborhood with their two teenaged children, Rory and Jenna. Oh
    Norma * Traveling Sister
    Happy Pub Day to Samantha Downing! This was a goodie!!!

Thrilling, mind-blowing & highly compulsive!

Oh my goodness this book definitely deserves my favourite wowza saying and I am absolutely thrilled to say that this is probably one of the best thrillers that I have recently read.

Holy Shooty Balls that was some awesome and impressive book!

MY LOVELY WIFE by SAMANTHA DOWNING is an engrossing, suspenseful, dark, twisted, and disturbing psychological thriller that was such an irresistible, fun an
    Dita
    Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    Um. What in the actual...?

This book is a generous slice of crazy and I loved it. Our unnamed protagonist and his Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs wife shake off suburban boredom by murdering local women.

It gets crazier from there.

Ridiculously good, "unputdownable" thriller; go read this book!
    Kim ~ Traveling Sister
    OMG OMG OMG!!! Yes I am speechless as I finished up my most anticipated book of the year! It not only lived up to my expectations, it far exceeded them! Whew, how is this a debut? I mean really I am floored that this is Samantha Downing's first book. New thriller queen in the house!

I am going to try my hardest not to give anything away, just know you really need to read this. This is one of the most unique and well spun thriller plots I have come across and believe me I have read plenty. Don't t
    Brenda - Traveling Sister
    We read My Lovely Wife with two of our reading groups and this one left us all cheering with excitement after finishing this one. We hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did. If you haven't read it it's one we highly recommend not to miss out on as it is just that fantastic. It's a top pick for us Traveling Sisters!

It entertained us, disturbed us, made us uncomfortable and had us questioning our own dark and twisted loving minds!

Married with children serial killer, a game of cat and mouse, ri
    All the Books!: My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing 1 16 May 02, 2019 05:34AM
    Play Book Tag: My Lovely Wife: Psychological Thriller 10 69 Feb 25, 2019 09:49AM

• Lock Every Door
    • The Night Before
    • Untitled
    • The Lost Night
    • A Stranger on the Beach
    • Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
    • The Mother-in-Law
    • The Last House Guest
    • After the End
    I live and work in New Orleans, where I'm trying to stay cool in this southern heat and write my next novel.
    “But I keep my mouth shut, because that’s what friends do. We don’t point out each other’s faults unless asked.” 0 likes
    “My name is not Tobias. I use that name only when I want someone to remember me. In this case, the bartender. I introduced myself and typed out my name when I first walked in and ordered a drink. He will remember me. He will remember that Tobias is the deaf man who left the bar with a woman he just met. The name was for his benefit, not Petra’s. She will remember me anyway, because how many deaf guys could she have slept with?” 0 likes