Start by marking “My Soul to Keep (My Soul to Keep, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Soul to Keep (My Soul to Keep, #1)

My Soul to Keep (My Soul to Keep, #1)

Miranda Clarke lived a charmed life…until she broke the rules.

It is 1961 and America’s a theocracy controlled by the Fellowship and its tyrannical council of eleven men. Miranda Clarke’s family is part of the ruling elite, rich and powerful, with plans for Miranda’s life.

Haunted by lurid nightmares, Miranda wants nothing more than to stay out of the public eye. Her power-
Published August 21st 2018 by Rocket Dog Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Soul to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Soul to Keep

Start your review of My Soul to Keep (My Soul to Keep, #1)
Lucy Synk
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading "My Soul to Keep" by Lynette M. Burrows. I don't normally read dystopia novels, but this one hooked me right from the start! A very interesting take on alternate history, with interesting characters. The main character starts off very naive due to her upbringing, but grows and develops to meet the challenges of her unjust society- especially confronting the responsibilities of her own privileged family. ...more
Claire
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-writer
Recap: Miranda doesn't want to get married or be daughter of the First Apostle and that's before she finds out what her family is responsible for and her own abuse memories resurface.

Review: Lynette has constructed such a well thought out alternative America that is feels chillingly realistic. The antagonists are unlikable and dastardly, our mentor is cranky yet loyal and our heroine kicks butt! The concept of the Azrael isn't quite fully explained enough, I have some questions about the inner p
Deleyna Marr
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Soul to Keep is the story of a woman faced with a future planned for her. Unaware of how insidious her culture has become, she merely wants freedom. When that freedom is denied, she rebels...learning first hand the evil of her world.

The characters are well developed, and the plot will keep you turning the pages. This is a satisfying if somewhat eerie read. If you have a chance, follow the author and you'll see how much of this was influenced by actual history.

I look forward to the next book f
Janet Thomson
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from VR in exchange for an honest review.
I don’t usually read dystopian novels but this was very different.A priveliged girl, fighting against an arranged marriage and unaware of the oppression that others live under until she runs away.
That’s when the story really begins! The characters are very real, the book hard to put down as the story unfolds.
Excellent story telling! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more.
A very talented author.
Margena Adams Holmes
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The world-building in this book is very different from what I expected. It's 1961 and everyone is pretty much a member of this Fellowship, and those who breaks the rules are "Taken". It's not a world I would want to live in. Great story, very easy to read and envision what was going on. The author's style is very natural. Loved the characters and the action in this book. ...more
Kelly
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an interesting dystopian story that was set in an alternative 1961. The characters were interesting and there was great world building.

I received a copy of this book from Voracious Readers Only.
Eva Newman
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book!! You get pulled in and don't want to stop reading. Love the characters as well. I am a Voracious reader. ...more
Tami
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read, kept me interested through the whole book. Very interesting. I received my copy from voracious readers for my review
Alexis
Oct 17, 2020
August McLaughlin
Aug 21, 2018
Lynette Burrows
Aug 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
James K.
Rachael Clarke
Jul 09, 2020
Steven
Feb 10, 2021

• Shadow Born (Karnos Chronicles #1)
  • Onansburg, Iowa
  • The International Day of the Girl: Celebrating Girls Around the World
  • Orphan X (Orphan X, #1)
  • Liam and Heidi
  • Black Widows
  • The Smash-Up
  • Jesus Ascended. What Does That Mean?
  • The Last Days of Ellis Island
  • GOTCHA! Inside Trump’s 2020 Campaign
  • A Time To Seek: Meaning, Purpose, and Spirituality at Midlife
  • The Northern Reach
  • We Gather Together: A Nation Divided, a President in Turmoil, and a Historic Campaign to Embrace Gratitude and Grace
  • The Girl from the Channel Islands
  • Masque of Honor: A Historical Novel of the American South
  • The Teen's Guide to Face-to-Face Connections in a Screen-to-Screen World: 40 Tips to Meaningful Communication
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
  • A Georgetown Life: The Reminiscences of Britannia Wellington Peter Kennon of Tudor Place
Lynette M. Burrows is a survivor. She survived moving to seventeen different schools before she graduated from high school. She contends that this makes her uniquely qualified to write a dystopian novel or two.

Lynette enjoys coffee, the pleasure of real books, and the crack of a nine-millimeter, not necessarily all at the same time—although they all appear in her stories. Spiced with a dash of int

News & Interviews