Start by marking “Hannah-Beast” as Want to Read:
Hannah-Beast

Hannah-Beast

(Dark Corners (Amazon Original Stories))

The fate of a lonely girl becomes part of a town’s shameful secret history in Thriller Award winner Jennifer McMahon’s terrifying story of guilt, retribution, and one tragic Halloween night.

Thirty-four years ago, on October 31, poor Hannah Talbott took part in a scavenger hunt gone violently wrong. The mean girls made sure of it. To this day, for a haunted local mother, th
Published September 27th 2018 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Hannah-Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah-Beast

Start your review of Hannah-Beast
MarilynW
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Every Halloween, Amanda's mind is tormented by what happened thirty-four years ago, on Halloween night. She can never forgive herself for her part in a cruel hoax, a part she has never disclosed. That is the night she and her friends created Hannah-Beast, a night that destroyed so much.

Published September 27th 2018

A Kindle Unlimited selection

Jennifer McMahon’s Hannah-Beast is part of Dark Corners, a collection of seven heart-stopping short stories by bestselling authors who give you so many ne
Sandra
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good short story/thriller from the Amazon "Dark Corners" series that takes place on two Halloween nights. A captivating, tragic, and intense read. ...more
Kay
Dumbasses, you’re supposed to say boo!

BOO!
3.5⭐
Told in two timelines, in 1982 and 2016 on Halloween night. This is a dark and disturbing Mean Girl trope and their stupid prank that went wrong. A haunting little short story!

This is part of the Amazon Original collection from 2018.

TW contains spoiler for the story.(view spoiler)
Paula
Thoroughly entertaining short horror story. The story alternates back and forth between two different Halloween nights (one in 1982 and the other in 2016) and it's filled with some truly horrible characters, but I was completely transfixed throughout and it was a perfect read for Halloween-time. ...more
Jayme
I finally know what a Hannah Beast is.

Little girls can be SOOO cruel.

Say BOO!

A short story, horror genre, perfect to LISTEN to on Halloween.🎃

Part of Amazon’s seven story, Dark Corners collection.
preoccupiedbybooks
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well that was horrifying! A tragic tale of mean girls, a lonely girl trying to fit in, and the guilt of complicity

Hannah-Beast alternates between events that happened in Halloween in 1982, and Halloween 2016, and was filled with nasty characters! It had a 'Carrie' vibe to it, and the pages were filled with tension. The ending was a real omg moment, which shocked me!

Amazing writing by Jennifer McMahon, she managed to pull me in, in only 47 pages, and made me care about the characters in this ente
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Ummm yeah no...not for me. Not what I had expected from this author. I have read a book by her in the past and expected- creepy, gothic- just all kinds of fantastic. I read the Invited and it chilled me to the bone. This short story was...sad. Just really cruel and sad.

I do love a good mean girl story but this took it too far. I found that even though it was a short story it dragged too much for me. The intense bullying and end result were disturbing. I will say the ending caught me completely o
Michael David (on hiatus)
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Why is Hannah Beast one of the most popular Halloween costumes in Amanda’s town? Amanda knows very well. She and the other gals were itching to get young Hannah to go out on Halloween night in 1982. 🎃 Now, on Halloween night 2016, and with a daughter of her own, thoughts of the past are brought to the forefront as Amanda (Manda Panda) remembers that dark year 34 years ago...and what she and her friends did to Hannah.

This is a creepy and disturbing read that takes “mean girls” to a new level. I
Fran
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hannah-Beast(Dark Corners collection) by Jennifer McMahon is a Halloween tale highlighting the perils of complicity. What goes around comes around!
Diana | Book of Secrets
A Dark Corners short story from Amazon. Yikes. This was a horrifying and gruesome Halloween tidbit. Find out what a group of mean girls from 1982 and 30+ years of guilt will do! Enjoyable, yet disturbing, psychological suspense.
Christina
Jan 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer McMahon is quickly becoming one of my favorite atmospheric thriller writers. What a dark, deep, evocative, scary short story this was, bringing back sometimes painful memories of childhood bullying. It’s not often that you read a story about childhood bullying from the former bully’s perspective, and I have to say this book so skillfully got inside the head of the adult bully that it brought back long-buried memories of things I did as a child that I’m not entirely proud of.

The story is
Ceecee
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another short story from the Amazon Dark Corners Collection and clearly one I should have read on October 31st not mid August. The story alternates between Halloween 1982 and 2016. In 2016 Hannah stops daughter Erin going out dressed as Hannah-Beast and through young Amanda in 1982 we learn the tragic story of the myth that grew up around the original Hannah. It’s not a pretty tale as Hannah is treated cruelly and suffers much taunting especially at the hands of vile Mel. It builds until it reac ...more
Constantine
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2019-11, x-4-star

Rating: 4.0/5.0

Genre:
Horror

This was a good short story from Amazon. Hopefully, all the rest in the series will be as good too. It is categorized in the horror genre but to me, it feels more like a thriller. The story alternates between two timelines (1982 & 2016) and both the events happen on Halloween nights.

For such a short story I don't want to say much about the synopsis. All I will say is that it was entertaining but might have some trigger warnings to some. The mean unapologetic girls' t
Krystin | TheF**kingTwist
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Of all the books in the Dark Corners collection, this was my absolute favourite. The whole structure of it is just so perfect, I can’t say enough. I’ve read Jennifer McMahon before and didn’t really care for her writing from that experience, but this short story is a fucking firecracker and I adored it.

Told between past and present, this story is about mean girls, the actions that haunt you and how urban legends are created.

The vibe of it is perfect – an otherwise rational
Diane S ☔
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 I love Jennifer McMahon, her books are always different, surprising, she takes risks in her fiction, which I admire. Plus, this was an Amazon narrated prime freebie, so I couldn't resist. First scary book I have listened to, and the you g girls voices in this I find hard to forget. "Say Boo! Hannah beast" "We love you Hannah Beast." Oh, the cruelty of young girls.

So this seriously creeped me out and the very unexpected end was horrible but apropos.
Char
Hannah-Beast was like Megan Abbott meets Stephen King.

Featuring an alternating time line, this story reminded me of Mean Girls with a horrific twist.

I liked it, but not as much as I had hoped.

*An Amazon Original with Audio, free with Prime.*
Blair
(Context: Dark Corners is a set of 7 individually published short stories from the Amazon Original Stories imprint. After learning they’re all free to read for Prime members, I settled down to devote a Sunday afternoon to working through them.)

In 2016, Amanda is at loggerheads with her 13-year-old daughter Erin, who wants to dress as 'Hannah-beast' – apparently a local custom – for Halloween. In flashbacks, we learn where the story came from: Halloween 1982, with a group of bullies (of which
Erin
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely my favorite in the Dark Corners collection, this one had serious Stephen King vibes. A small town is celebrating Halloween and all the local children want to be Hannah-Beast, a character that has become part of town lore. Although Amanda insists to her daughter that there is no such person, as the narrative switches from the present to the past, we discover that isn't quite true. This Halloween, Hannah-Beast is looking for revenge.

Jennifer McMahon enjoys messing with our minds. Sh
Tamar...playing hooky for a few hours today
What a disturbing story! This is a part of the Dark Corners series (first story) available on Kindle Unlimited. I wish I could erase this from my memory. I'm going to skip to the Joyce Carol Oates story, I hope I land on more comfortable terrain. ...more
Juli
Hannah-Beast is the first story in the Dark Corners Collection, a collection of seven short stories offered up as Amazon/Audible Original content. I love listening to original horror stories on audio, so I jumped right on this collection! Glad I did -- each story is creative and different.

They say that urban legends and myths are based in fact. In this short story (I lean more towards novella really as the audio version of the story is just over an hour long....a bit lengthy for a short story),
Nakia's Hideaway
5 out of 5!

Video Review: https://youtu.be/mpbQPSQr5zc

This novella kept me on the edge of my seat going in between the two timelines (2016 & 1982).
I just had to know what happened with the prank that went wrong between the group of girls back in 1982. What was Amanda's part in it? And who or what is Hannah-Beast?

I also loved that this took place on Halloween night.

This story was haunting, shocking and also sad.

I loved it and highly recommend it for spooky season!
Sep 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lol what did I just read

Halloween is optional. This story makes no sense. Why on earth would the mom even “celebrate” Halloween after what happened in 1982? Why wouldn’t she just say “that girl was my friend and it’s not okay to dress up like that on Halloween.” Best quote “It was after six, already full dark.” Full Dark.
Carolyn Walsh
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars. This was an eerie, grim short story. The events which occurred on two Haloween nights (years apart) are horrifying and believable. The author made the plot credible without adding a supernatural element. The twist at the end was unexpected and shocking. This is one of seven short stories from the Amazon Prime Dark Corners collection. Very well done!
Holly
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A good short story for spooky October.
Ellen Gail
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, horror
It's short. It's creepy. It's free.

Stuff is set on fire. Things (pumpkins) are stabbed. Kids are assholes.

What more could you want? Just read it*

*or don't I mean I liked it but I have terrible taste and low self esteem and you probably should just go because this review is all downhere from here.

This was very spooky, perfect for October!
Montzalee Wittmann
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Hannah-Beast by Jennifer McMahon, narrated by Any Landon, is a story about a bullied girl and how she becomes a local legend enough to be a Halloween character.
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
Decent short story going super dark on bullying and an urban legend that a mother knows way too much about. Mean girls are MEAN. I should have expected that ending, but I didn’t. 😂. I felt the narrator sounded a bit robotic tbh. But take an hour out of your day if you want a quick urban legend(ary) story. Wink wink.
Carol
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I don't think I've read anything written by Jennifer McMahon before although I believe I have a couple of her books in my TBR pile, but I really enjoyed this short story, part of the Amazon Dark Corners collection. The ending really shocked me. This is the second story I've read from this collection and look forward to reading the others over the next little while. ...more
Shannon
Apr 24, 2022 rated it really liked it
3.5

Some good Point Horror vibes with this. Don't ask me why I read a Halloween story in April, but I still really enjoyed this out of season. I've never read this author before and now I want to check out her full-length novels.

• There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed
  • The Tangled Woods
  • The Sleep Tight Motel
  • Oak Avenue
  • The Remedy
  • Miao Dao
  • Love the Way You Lie (House of Crows, #4)
  • Fog Descending (House of Crows, #2)
  • Circling the Drain (House of Crows, #3)
  • All My Darkest Impulses (House of Crows, #1)
  • The Gift
  • Let Her Be
  • Slow Burner
  • Treasure
  • Controller (Warmer, #3)
  • Falls the Shadow (Warmer, #5)
  • The Hillside (Warmer, #7)
  • The Way the World Ends (Warmer, #1)
See top shelves…
I'm the author of nine suspense novels, including Promise Not to Telll, The Winter People, and my newest, The Drowning Kind. I live in central Vermont with my partner and daughter, in an old Victorian that some neighbors call The Addams Family house. ...more

Dark Corners (Amazon Original Stories) (7 books)
  • The Sleep Tight Motel