Jump to ratings and reviews

Number #1

Evalene's Number

Fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent will love Evalene's Number and its incredible dystopian tale by Amazon bestselling author Bethany Atazadeh.

Everyone in Eden is assigned a Number, tattooed on their neck, which determines their value and place in the world.

On her Numbering Day, Evalene Vandereth anticipates joining the élite. Born in an upper-class family, she knows exactly who she is and what she is worth. Even as the needle breaks her skin, she is blissfully happy. She never considers another outcome, until it’s too late.

Now 18-year-old Evalene lives in fear, struggling with her new identity, stripped of her freedom and basic human rights. Can she escape her Number? Is anyone else asking the same question?

"A rigorous apocaplytic backdrop and versatile characters supply seemingly endless avenues for further volumes to explore."
- Kirkus Reviews

2nd edition, previously published December 2017.

*And don’t miss PEARL’S NUMBER, the thrilling sequel in the bestselling Number Series!*

397 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 28, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Bethany Atazadeh

24 books718 followers
Bethany Atazadeh is best known for her young adult fantasy novels, The Stolen Kingdom Series, which won the Best YA Author 2020 Minnesota Author Project award. She is obsessed with stories, chocolate, and her corgi puppy, Penny.

Using her degree in English with a creative writing emphasis, Bethany enjoys helping other writers through her YouTube aka "AuthorTube" writing channel: https://www.youtube.com/bethanyatazadeh and Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/bethanyatazadeh

If you want to know more about when Bethany's next book will come out, visit her website at https://www.bethanyatazadeh.com/contact where you can sign up to receive monthly emails with exciting news, updates, and book releases.

CONNECT WITH BETHANY HERE:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authorbetha...
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/bethanyl...
Website: https://www.bethanyatazadeh.com
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/bethanyatazadeh

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (3%)
1 star
5 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews
Profile Image for Maddie.
557 reviews1,136 followers
Read
September 2, 2018
A fun dystopian story that somehow manages to fit a whole trilogy of events into one book!
Profile Image for Abby Burrus.
Author 1 book39 followers
January 17, 2022
This was Bethany Atazadeh's debut book, and while I'm sure she's improved a lot in her own right, this book stands by itself as an excellent Christian dystopian.
This book was a fun, good read, with memorable characters. Olive was definitely a favorite, with her bouncy and bubbly personality. Evalene herself was fun to read, and Jeremiah also.
All of this is set in an interesting dystopian world, which could be very realistic.
Overall, recommended to readers of Christian dystopian!
Profile Image for Renee Dugan.
Author 9 books94 followers
September 23, 2018
I became familiar with Bethany Atazadeh's work at a time when I was suffering from MAJOR dystopia burnout on the heels of The Hunger Games, Divergent, and The Maze Runner. I was tempted to pass Evalene's Number by, but a combination of Miss Atazadeh's genius marketing campaigns, lovely YouTube channel and the new cover release for EN finally convinced me to give the Dystopian genre one last visit.

I couldn't be happier that it did.

Evalene's Number brings a breath of fresh air to the tired Dystopian genre, offering more realistic - and perhaps therefore more challenging and more rewarding - conflicts than many of its peers. Full of true-to-life and engaging characters, high-stakes and high-emotion plots, gorgeous worldbuilding and both personal and societal challenges that will leave the reader thinking deeply about what defines us all once they turn the last page, Evalene's Number is a book I recommend to everyone. Yes, everyone.

I'm so happy I discovered this incredible author and her breathtaking story. I am counting down the days to the sequel's release and can't wait to dive deeper into Evalene's world and her journey!

For my full review on EVALENE'S NUMBER, visit my blog: https://reneeduganwriting.com/2018/09...
Profile Image for J.S. Ellis.
Author 16 books108 followers
January 3, 2022
Since I am such a great lover of Dystopia I made a must to get my hands on this book. I wasn't disappointed. I loved the concept, the originality of the story, and great world building. Told in the third person the story opens with Evalene's in her numbering day. In this society, people are ranked with numbers from high to low. I won't say much so I won't spoil it. You have to read to find out.
Profile Image for Kim Chance.
Author 2 books672 followers
September 14, 2018
Everyone is Eden is assigned a number that determines their place in the societal structure. Evalene Vandereth, who is born into an upper-class, expects to join the elite, but on her Numbering Day, Evalene is stripped of her status and forced to give up the only life she knows.

I've always been a big fan of dystopian novels, and I was really excited to read this one. It has a bit of a Divergent flare to it, which I love! From the first page, I was super intrigued by the society and immediately connected with Evalene. Her fall from the top to the bottom was riveting and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. There are some strong, wholesome themes woven throughout the story, which I really appreciated. I think it added depth to the story and gave readers room to interpret and discuss. I loved all the characters, but Evalene's spunky new friend, Olive--who comes from a free land and isn't numbered--was definitely my favorite. Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and think the author did a marvelous job creating a rich and engaging story! I'm so excited to see what happens next! :)
Profile Image for Grace K.
40 reviews12 followers
January 1, 2019
This was a well-written book with the classic dystopian format, that just unfortunately was not for me.

I am a lover of dystopian novels, so I was intrigued by this concept. It had a lot of the classic elements about dystopian worlds that I like. Right off the bat, I liked the author's voice and writing style. There was nothing about this book that I hated, but it fell a bit flat for me.

Personally, I think it followed a pretty typical plotline, and there weren't any surprises for me. The thing that makes this dystopian unique is the emphasis on faith and God. I didn't know that there would be Christian themes until I read another reader's review while I was midway through the book. It is still subtle, but it is there. If you are interested in Christian lit and dystopians, this is a good mix. Personally, it's not my thing.

If you like classic dystopians, quick reads, Christian themes, sweet romance, you would love this book. If you are looking for something more dramatic and intense, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this one. All around a good book, it just wasn't my personal cup of tea.

Profile Image for Lilian.
270 reviews11 followers
March 27, 2020
I wrote a review of the second book in the series that accurately matches my thoughts of this book, so check it out if you're interested!
also just realized that this series is majorly similar to the Seer series by Rachelle Dekker; I read both series within a span of three months and kept having flashbacks of how similar they were. think of the hunger games and divergent and how people keep comparing the two... the Seer series and the Number series are so much more similar that they're nearly identical (almost to the point where I can't really separate the two in my mind).
Profile Image for Molly.
98 reviews33 followers
December 28, 2017
First off, I would like to thank the author for sending me this book! I enjoyed it so much! The story that follows Evalene and Jeremiah was very complex. The world that this dystopian was set in was very interesting. The numbers each person has places them into a category of that society. It felt very original!
The characters were great! Evalene was smart, and at times very brave! I found it very interesting and accurate that at times she was very timid. It matched the way she was raised and treated since 13 years old. Jeremiah was a really cool character. He showed a lot of character development. He was kind and brave and the perfect leader. I also really liked Olive. She was very talkative, social, and sprightly. A great contrast to Evalene!! I appreciated the character’s pasts quite a lot. The cliffhanger at the end of the book surprised me a lot! I’m looking forward to the next book!
The writing was descriptive, and flowed nicely. I enjoyed it a lot! I would never have guessed that it was the authors first book. I’m looking forward to seeing improvement and depth in her writing as experience grows. The only thing else I have to say, is that I would have preferred the story to be slightly more intense. I tend to like really intense reads. But overall, I love this book so much!! It was amazing and I can’t wait to see what happens next to the characters! Thank you for this great opportunity!!❤️❤️

Be aware that this book has quite a lot of Christian faith tied into the story. I understand that that might not be for everyone.
October 31, 2018
Though there were some flaws, overall I enjoyed this book.

Set in a dystopian world 200 years in the future, Evalene has to face a world that judges her based on a number tattooed on her neck. After running away from the abusive numbering system, Evalene meets rebellion leader Jeremiah.

The first half of the book is soooo good! It's exciting, thrilling, and heartbreaking at times. It did drag in the middle, but by the end, the tension really picked up again, and it ended in such a good way (with a bit of a cliffhanger for the next book :D)

Though not marketed as a novel with Christian themes, there are many. The discussion of faith is uncommon in YA, especially dystopian, and I found that refreshing. It didn't feel preachy nor dogmatic, which was wonderful.

I did have a hard time connecting with Evalene, the main character of the novel, since she is a very passive character. I wish she could have forged her own path a few times. On the other hand, Jeremiah was likeable and relatable, and I cheered him on through the entire novel. He was a very solid character with very sympathetic motivations.

The worldbuilding was another thing I liked. Set in a world 200 years in the future, it was interesting to see Atazadeh's take on how society might be at that time. It's always the best part of dystopians, in my opinion.

While I did struggle to connect with the main character and the story did drag in the middle, overall I found myself enjoying the book. It's a great debut.
Profile Image for Cynthia.
Author 3 books17 followers
December 28, 2018
Full disclosure right up front, I'm rarely drawn to dystopias as a genre. Just not my particular flavor of tea. I read them when one gets so popular that everyone's talking about it (eg. 1984, The Hunger Games), but they're not books I generally pick up all on my own. However, I participated in the #indiecember challenge and I needed a dystopia to fill in my bingo box, so I went shopping and this one looked interesting.

What I didn't like: The story kept me interested and engaged until about the halfway point, when I felt it started to drag and I kinda began to loose interest. At that point, I felt it became more about strategy than about character. It was well-done strategy, I just wasn't into it. It did pick up again for me around the 80% mark. Without giving away spoilers, I also didn't really feel Evalene's character arc much, and I felt that she was a consistent character with believable motivations and internal dialogue right up until the plot needed her to be something else. There was a solid attempt at showing her transformation, I just didn't but it. As for the political system, it was a very simplistic numbers/colors troupe--just simple enough to be fully understandable by the reader in one chapter. It was too simple for me, although I was intrigued at some of the occupational choices made in the hierarchy.

What I liked: I was very impressed at how well the religious aspect of the worldbuilding was handled. It had a solid Martin Luther Catholicism/Protestant 1500's clash of Biblical interpretation going, and I dug it. The argument of whether people should be allowed to read and interpret the Bible on their own versus having it filtered through Priests first is a very old battle that is part of our own history, so it felt very real and solid to me and I enjoyed seeing it played out in a modern setting. This is the first dystopian I've read that actually incorporates realistic religious aspects into the worldbuilding and it highlighted something that has frustrated me about dystopias in the past: religion has been a major factor in nearly every single large-scale rebellion, coup, war and dictatorship in history. Religion is a shockingly powerful force that can easily be weaponized--yet so many post-apocalyptic stories shy away from this basic historical reality. It wasn't preachy and simply came across as part of Evalene's reality--like it is part of our reality. I can't praise this book enough for how well it handled the religious aspects of its world.
Profile Image for Joshua Reid.
Author 5 books10 followers
March 10, 2020
Evalene's Number by Bethany Atazadeh is a very interesting read. Like the book mentions, it is similar to the Hunger Games.

What I liked

• The Number System: The way that the Number system was created by Bethany is amazing and has a great concept, especially when it adds in the Christian undertones.

• The Christian Undertones: One of the things that I didn't expect to see in this story but a welcome surprise. The fact that a book like Evalene's Number has Christian undertones is amazing because that is something that I haven't seen done well in many dystopian novels (the exceptions for me would be The Divided Nation by Angela R. Watts and the Left Behind Series by Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye.)

• Olive: The character of Olive is an amazing addition to the story of Evalene's Number. Smart, funny and can pretty much convince a lot of people with persistent talking, Olive is an amazing character. At first coming off as a nosy person outside of Eden's control, Olive has her own journey and I love the fact that we see her show emotions of anger, frustration and sadness.

What I didn't like:

• The last part of the 2nd act: The last part of the 2nd Act when Evalene gets on the island called the FreeLands, the place seems to slow down a lot, because there isn't a lot happening in terms of plot progression (although that maybe just a me thing.) However, what I liked partially about the 2nd act was that it gave us a glimpse into Olive's life and her Grandma Mae.

Overall Thoughts:

Evalene's Number is an amazing book with great Christian undertones that don't immediately jump out at you when you first read the story. I'm also grateful to having had this book signed by Bethany Atazadeh herself.

I rate this: 4 out of 5 stars.
Profile Image for Adeena Syed.
200 reviews17 followers
February 21, 2021
I have a fondness for the dystopian genre, that's how I came to pick this one.
The start was very promising. I instantly loved where it was leading. A controlled world through Number System in the name of God, it was very realistic in some ways.
I instantly fell in love with the way each character was portrayed. One can guess what they will do next based on the little things author wrote about the characters.
The plot was interesting and I loved how it was progressing. The Numbering, the twist, the planning. It was predictable but not boring.
The writing style was okay-ish. Not too fancy but the story kept my attention going from there. The story was too interesting that I did not notice how sometimes the writing was a little drag.
Until the rebellion actually happen, everything was fine. The end was very fast and easy. Rebellions does not happen so easily but it was the end and it was wrapped really fast.
*spoilers*
-As Jeremiah took the refugees from Eden to this island, the very first had a lot of time to train and all yet the last refugees had just two days to get their bearings.
-The plan wasn't changed AT ALL as the number dwindled because of the dream Grandma Mae had. Even though it showed bravery, it was a fool gamble.
-The rebels took the whole country by simply broadcasting the message? Nope, that didn't work for me.
-People joined in way too quickly. Even if most of them were against the Number System, people are not easy to convince of change.
All in all, the end did not match the start of the book to me. There wasn't an obvious need of sequel until Evie found out that her mother is alive.
Profile Image for Kristen Slotman.
6 reviews2 followers
April 17, 2022
Reading this book left me lacking for true character development. The characters either took a long time to change or the change was a whiplash. It didn’t feel natural which made me not connect with any of the main people.

There were many opportunities to talk more about how people with power don’t want to give it up and other realistic conversations. These were just briefly skipped over for the plot but that made it lack depth.
Profile Image for Rosa S.
222 reviews2 followers
March 23, 2020
The story gripped me from the very beginning. The whole number system in this society is intriguing for sure. As a person of faith, I appreciated the Christian themes. Usually, I feel Christian themes can come across as cheesy and unauthentic in stories, but that's not the case for this story. I look forward to reading the second book.
Profile Image for Lacy Hess.
12 reviews1 follower
April 5, 2018
I absolutely LOVED this book! I love dystopian novels, and the premise of this one drew me in right away. I actually found it to be a little bit more unique due to the Christian/religious elements that ran through it because I haven't come across many books like this in the Christian market. And while there is a focus on these elements in the story, Bethany Atazadeh does a wonderful job of presenting without preaching. It was quite interesting to see her take on what happens when men claim to speak for God as a measure of control over others, and how the characters responded with their own faith or lack thereof.

Evalene is the daughter of parents with high numbers, which give them an elite status in their world, but things quickly turn sour for her on her own Numbering Day and she must learn how to adapt to her new circumstances. I thought that the representation of what her life was like after numbering was very realistic for the type of world that they lived in, and I found myself cringing during her interactions with certain characters. (And being angry at the whole system in general.) She's been raised to believe that everyone has a place in the world and that it's determined by a high or low number that they must live by until they die. [MILD SPOILER] Even after she finds herself a part of different circumstances, she struggles to separate her identity from her number.

What I loved about Evalene was her normal reactions to everything. She wasn't necessarily "brave" or "heroic" and she spent a good part of the story simply surviving. She was the reluctant hero who discovers who she is on the journey and her personal journey ended up being like the last puzzle piece that finishes off the picture. Ultimately, she had something important to offer and, for me, it highlighted the idea that each person is valuable. Neither higher nor lower than anyone else.

Bethany Atazadeh's writing style drew me in and kept me turning the pages. Some of the best writing that I've read in a long time. I did notice a couple of small errors, but the rest of the book was done well enough that it didn't slow me down at all. I had a lot of feelings while I read this book, and even blinked away a few tears towards the end. All of the characters felt like they were well thought out and each had their own personality. Some elicited positive feelings, and others made me want to jump through the pages and start knocking heads against things. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because it was so well done across the board. I highly recommend Evalene's Number and I can't wait to see what book two has in store!
Profile Image for Maverick Moses.
Author 1 book7 followers
September 15, 2018
I thought this book would be good, thanks to the countless positive remarks I read across social media, but I didn’t foresee it being this awesome. Evalene’s Number was such a fun read and was certainly a great debut novel for Bethany.

Bethany did an amazing job helping the reader connect personally with each character. The book is written in third-person, but the way she wrote it isn’t entirely omniscient as each chapter tends to focus on the emotions of one specific character. Obviously, Evalene was the main focal point, showing her thoughts and emotions, but other chapters focused on characters around her and made for an interesting “outside looking in” kind of perspective.

I really appreciated the way Bethany wrote God into the storyline. I am Christian myself, but when reading Christian Fiction, I don’t want the presence of the religious aspect to be shoved down my throat all the time, and Evalene’s Number definitely doesn’t do that. It wasn’t quite as subtle as say, The Chronicles of Narnia with it’s many metaphors, but it definitely had parallels and hints towards Christianity, and the loving and peaceful God that the protagonists have faith in, could be interpreted differently by different people, which would make this book enjoyable whether you’re Christian or not.

The dystopian world that Bethany creates will pull you in from the beginning. The book starts with us knowing little about what’s happening, but as we follow Evalene and see her grow, we also see more of Eden. And the flaws of the Numbering system become apparent as Evalene comes to realize the flaws as well. So even though the book is written in third-person, we end up seeing the world through Evalene’s eyes as her thoughts and opinions change.

Evalene’s Number definitely kept me on the edge of my seat as I found myself gripping my chest during suspenseful scenes and goosebumps rising on my skin during dramatic climaxes. I would definitely recommend Evalene’s Number to lovers of YA fantasy and dystopian novels, and my five-star review is certainly reflective of that.

I can’t wait to read the sequel, Pearl’s Number, in November and watch Evalene continue to grow in knowledge, strength, and faith, as a new adventure unfolds before her.
Profile Image for Holly Davis.
421 reviews12 followers
May 11, 2018
Evalene's Number was such an enjoyable read and a strong debut for Bethany! I'm sooo glad she got me out of my reading slump because I had just DNF'd a traditionally published book. I know NEVER to judge a book by how it's published because I've read terrible traditionally published books and I've read amazing self-published books (like this one!). I was so intrigued by the plot and wanted to know what was going to happen to both Evalene and Jeremiah, and I love how their two worlds converged.

As far as any constructive critiques, I had wanted a bit more description in the first 1/4 of the book when Evalene was at home. I found myself wondering exactly what this dystopian world looked like. But Bethany did an amazing job with the description from then on! The dialogue was spot on, believable, and realistic and she had the perfect amount and quality of exposition.

I felt like the middle dragged a little when some meals or quieter moments were occurring, but other than that it held my interest to the end. I LOVE LOVE LOVED Evalene's speech to the crowd. It was beautiful and perfect. I'm so excited to read the sequel because I am not ready to leave this wonderful world that Bethany has created! And of course, cliffhangers don't help. ;)
Profile Image for Becca Smith.
Author 27 books156 followers
September 5, 2018
I was hooked from the very beginning! What an amazing world Bethany Atazadeh has created. It was a crazy fast read simply because I had zero desire to put it down! And to leave it on such a cliffhanger! I'm just relieved I don't have to wait long for the sequel which comes out in November!

The main character, Evalene, was very relatable and was definitely put through the ringer in this book. What I found most interesting is the fact that Evalene has no fighting skills, so the author had to get her out of situations using Evaline's wits and instincts, which felt very realistic. I also loved Jeremiah's journey to becoming the leader of the rebels. His character had so much depth, I always loved reading his chapters. (And I'm totally greedy, I would love for some Jeremiah novellas on more of his past lol)

And Olive was just about the sweetest character ever. No spoilers, but the author had me worried for a minute at the end!

This book is action-packed, yet also character-driven, which allows for some really fantastic dramatic scenes. I'm very excited to read Pearl's Number!

Great read!
Profile Image for Charlene Gibson.
90 reviews1 follower
September 7, 2018
I really enjoyed this book! It pulled me in right from the beginning, and it never slowed down. There's something happening in every chapter, and the book continues to move at a consistent pace so there's always something new to learn and explore, and it never gets boring. The one thing I wish there was more of was depth and detail about the characters and the world. I feel like I only got a vague glimpse into who these people are and what their world looks like, and some of the things they went through each day. But I did enjoy the variety of characters present, their personalities and beliefs, and the different viewpoints about the Number system. Overall, it was a solid read and I look forward to picking up the next book!
Profile Image for Robin.
Author 3 books25 followers
October 4, 2018
Refreshingly different take on the dystopian fantasy! Wow! It's sometimes hard to find a clean dystopian novel but this is an amazing one. I love the way the author wove faith into the novel without it coming across as preachy or obnoxious. She inspires me in many respects.
At the beginning of the story, I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the whole thing. But it wasn't long before I was hooked. The characters are well-fleshed-out, as is the plot. And the action is properly paced to keep you wanting more. When the male main character was revealed, I expected a typical and overdone romance. I'm so very glad I was surprised by the turn of events. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. Fans of dystopian fantasy and inspirational characters should definitely check this one out.
Profile Image for Bethany Atazadeh.
Author 24 books718 followers
Read
March 15, 2019
The Number Series is a duology and both books are officially released!

Evalene’s Number: https://amzn.to/2T5fins
Pearl’s Number: https://amzn.to/2TagiH9

Curious about the stories? Watch the trailers here:

Evalene’s Number Trailer: https://youtu.be/bqx5i2qU1uA
Pearl’s Number Trailer: https://youtu.be/1QBWoQPnIDQ

...

For more info about upcoming releases in 2019, visit: https://www.bethanyatazadeh.com

...

For other authors, check out my resources for writers below:
YouTube Writing Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/bethanyl...
Patreon Writing Coach: https://www.patreon.com/bethanyatazadeh
Marketing for Authors series: https://mailchi.mp/4150b8eab981/marke...
Profile Image for KappaBooks.
550 reviews38 followers
May 25, 2019
DNF at 29%

Evalene's Number is a YA Dystopian Christian novel.

Evalene is 13 and a member of high society. She's excited to get her Number, which determines her place in society (higher numbers = higher status while lower numbers are the poor lower class). She's so sure that she'll join her father as a member of high society, but her plan's don't plan out as her world view is swept under her feet when she'd given a low number and her whole life is turned on it's head.

There are several reasons why I'm not finishing this book and several reasons why I'm giving this book a 1 star. All of the reasons listed below apply to both why I'm not finishing it/why it's getting 1 star, except for the first reason. The first reason is only why I'm not finishing it.

1. Apparently this is a Christian book. I thought the references to God and how people interpret the Bible were just an interesting bit of world building, but no, apparently it gets more involved later on, and that really isn't my cup of tea. I'm not 1-staring it because it's Christian, I'm not a shit person, I'm just recognizing that Christian fiction is 110% not up my alley and I'm stopping before I read more.

2. There was so much telling and not showing. The entirety of chapter 4 is told to us, explaining weeks of what should be interesting scene of Jeremiah learning about his new home, but no, it's just explained to us in a few paragraphs.

We get a big info dump of world-building information in the first three chapters that

3. Nothing really exciting happens. And I'm not saying it has to be as action packed and thrilling as THE HUNGER GAMES I'm expecting... something, but it's really panning out to be really generic and boring. Like yes, things did happen, the plot progressed in the 29% I've read, but it didn't really grab me and send me on a journey.

4. There's some really obvious mistakes. When the novel begins, Evalene is 13 and Jeremiah is 15. There is a five year time skip where Evalene is now 18 and Jeremiah is... 22? The worst part is, as I got this book for free on Aug 29, 2018, I believe this is the re-released version of the book, so there were two instances that the author could've fixed that. There were other parts of the novel that confused me, like the first two sentences of the book:

"EVALENE LAY IN BED with the warmth of the sun on her face and the sound of a bird chirping happily outside her window. It looked like a textbook robin, though she couldn’t be sure, having never seen one before. The Grid shot down any objects, man-made or animal, that flew above 100 meters"

...what on earth is a textbook robin? Is she saying that a bird managed to get past a military system that shoots down aircraft? For some reason, my brain took this as "She heard a robin. They piped bird sounds from the trees to stimulate the idea of birds as bird get shot down. And yet, somehow Evalene could see the robin and classified it as a "textbook robin."

5. Similarly, a lot of the world-building seems to rely on dramatic irony. Like, this could very well be me speculating on the nature of dystopian, but it felt obvious that we as readers were supposed to go

Like, I'm sure the same happens in other dystopian novels, but I feel like people aren't thinking "this is the only way society can function" in DIVERGENT. It feels like this book is trying to make me say "Waaaaait, that's not how things work! Oh you, sneaky author, trying to pull one on me!" This is probably the weirder part of the review, but it's how I felt I was supposed to react reading it.

6. Evalene is overall very naive. And yes, she grew up in the upper class and everyone is brain-washed to believe state-propaganda, but it just kinda stuck out to me that as she was going "Really???? You think people could rebel???? You think our leader isn't all what he seems????" I was just screaming "OF COURSE the people will rebel! Of course the leader isn't all what he seems!"

7. The chapter structure just confuses me. The first three chapters are Evalene's perspective. Then there's one chapter of Jeremiah's perspective. Then it's eight chapters of Evalene's perspective and then chapter 14 and 15 are in Jeremiah's perspective (I only read the first page of Ch 15 before giving up).

It just seemed pointless, this split POV that isn't a set Evalene, Jeremiah, Evalene, Jeremiah,..., or just any set pattern of POV switch.

What I liked:
I was enjoying the world-building, even if it was thrown at me all at once. I thought the inclusion was interesting as usually all religion is destroyed in dystopian to create a sense of hoplessness, but God and religion are very much present

Also I'm not sure if it's just me, but if I hear about TV's being able to listen in on conversation, I immediately think 1984.

While the description claims this is for fans of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT, I feel the novel is closer to Cinderella and some other dystopian novel, but not written as well.

So yeah, I have no qualms not finishing this book and giving it such a low rating.
Profile Image for Joey Paul.
Author 20 books583 followers
September 14, 2018
I picked this one up after seeing the hype for it. I was so happy to sink into the pages and get to know Evalene and her world. The idea of people being assigned numbers that determine your place in the world intrigued me and the way the author pulled it off was beyond amazing. I loved this book! I loved ready about the betrayal, the twists and turns, the hint of hope and of course the love story blossoming between the pages. It was an amazing read and I am so glad I picked it up! Highly recommended!
Profile Image for Megan Oneail.
230 reviews3 followers
April 5, 2018
This book was a lovely read by a debut author! Evalene is not your average heroine; she had her whole world turned upside down in an instant, and her sense of self-worth suffers greatly because of it. At her lowest moment, she meets Jeremiah, who recognizes something in her and helps her find security and inspires her to stand up for what’s right. I can’t wait for the next book in this series to come out; I have a feeling things are only just beginning!
Profile Image for John Jeng.
Author 4 books11 followers
January 5, 2018
I got my copy of Evalene’s Number through the author’s Kickstarter campaign. After I finished reading it last night, I lay awake for a while thinking about the Christian connotations in the book. Actually, I didn’t know I was reading a Christian book until page 260 and learned about the prophetic dreams. Other than the biblical allusions, I can definitely see some similarities with Divergent and The Hunger Games.
1 review
January 7, 2018
Powerful Work of Art

Let me keep this simple as I am not a writer. My only complaint about this book is that it is classified as a YA book. Well, as an OA I respectfully disagree. I came into this hoping for a good first book and left thinking of this as a work of art. I am really looking forward to reading more from the author in the future and will be waiting (im)patiently for the next in the series.
Profile Image for Jasmine.
28 reviews6 followers
October 3, 2018
I really liked this book. I thought that the number system was a really interesting concept. I also really enjoyed the characters. However, I do wish that her father had been more of a round character. I would have liked to learn more about him, and how he felt about the number system and treatment of others.

I can't wait to Pearl's Number :)
Profile Image for Alissa Jones.
6 reviews1 follower
December 27, 2017
Evalene’s Number is a clever YA dystopian novel by newcomer Bethany Atazedeh.
142 reviews4 followers
January 9, 2018
ull of rich characters and hart stopping action. i cant wait to read book 2
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.