Start by marking “Beyond Meridian” as Want to Read:
Beyond Meridian

Beyond Meridian

(Men in Space #1)

Captain Rick Raine thinks he’s just picking up a passenger and some cargo when he takes on Karl as a member of his crew. He didn’t sign up for battling privateers, the United Planetary Alliance, and his own heart. But everyone has secrets in space, even a naive kid who knows more than he should.

Karl is on a mission, deep in the heart of enemy space. Sam saved him from a li
ebook
Published September 3rd 2018 by NineStar Press (first published December 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Meridian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Meridian

Jenre
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sci-fi, m-m
I like sci-fi stories and feel that it’s a much under-represented sub-genre within m/m romance. I was delighted when I discovered that Samhain were starting a new series of m/m sci-fi romance novellas and jumped at the chance to review them. Beyond Meridian is the first of these novellas, all of which are released at the same time. On the whole I liked it but there were a few disappointments, most noticeably with the world-building.

One of the things I particularly like about sci-fi is its abilit
Bookwatcher
Captain Rick Raine is the last hope for Karl. He want to save his friend, Sam, and the name Rick have an starship and his name is know everywhere.

I enjoy immensely both characters, loved the action and was a little annoyed by the narration... its the only problem I found in this book... the sudden change of narrators, that sometimes let me VERY confused.

So: great sci-fi , not long and boring sex scenes to kill the action and a perfect characters is the reason of my 4 stars.

And let me expend few
Kristin
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The blurb sums up this short story quite succinctly, so I won’t rehash. This was an enjoyable romantic science fiction story. The plot moves briskly along, there is just enough character development to draw the reader in, and the world building made for a strong backdrop without losing plausibility.

Captain Raine is your Han Solo, Malcolm, Holden (geek points if you know the last two references…) in the Meridian universe. Loner, comes with a reputation, but appearances can be deceiving.

Karl come
Maxine Robinson
My first m/m romance, this was a quick, easy read. Beyond Meridian is under 100 pages, but it is crammed full of action, adventure, romance and sexy time.

Karl needs a ride into enemy territory, word has it that Captain Raine is his best bet. Captain Raine knows that Karl isn’t telling him the whole truth, but he can’t turn down the money. Together they run illegal goods, battle space pirates and their feelings for each other all while trying to save the person who Karl owes his life to.

Raine had
Nicole
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a short book, easy and fun to read.

Rick Raine, a captain of his own ship, that transports different kinds of cargo, gets approached by Karl. Karl wants to take him to Medhem because he wants to save his friend Sam. Though Karl doesn’t say who Sam is and who he himself is and works for, Raine accepts if Karl can get him a cargo to transport. Karl happily does and they set off to save Sam.

The story is short, so we don’t get a lot of world building. Their mission happens fast with a bit of
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I really liked this one. It had a lot of suspense and action and the story felt more along the lines of a novel instead of a novella so that's good. It means the story had enough in it I wasn't left completely lost or completely bored. It had a nice in between that had me invested in the story.

I liked both Raine and Karl. Raine is the typical mercenary, only taking cargo and jobs when he wants to. Karl, however, is much more than he seems. He has a lot of layers to him that slowly start to peel
ChaosMoondrawn
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rick Raine is our space captain. Karl is our other MC looking for transport to Mendhem, a territory controlled by Confed military. The Confed (Confederation of Free Planets) and UPA (United Planetary Alliance) are at war. This story starts on Meridan, a world along the borders that tries to stay a neutral territory.

Raine agrees to take him on as crew if he can find cargo to transport. Karl is from Meridan, but has been living on Earth. He escaped his life in the brothels after his mother's deat
Michelle
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars, not quite 4 because its too short. I don't even know where to start. I know I read the description before downloading it but I somehow missed that is was a "romance" M/M. No issues just caught me off guard at first. So we are following Raine and Karl. Raine is a Spacer...he moves cargo. And Karl needs help getting into "enemy" territory.

Its Firefly with a two man crew and a REALLY fancy ship. Its a quick read but its honestly really good. You want to hate Raine, he's a bast
Bianca
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-fiction, m-m
This short book is an easy and fun read.

Rick Raine is a captain of his own ship and transports all sorts of cargo. One gets the impression that not all of it is legal.
One day, Karl approaches him because of his reputation, as he needs someone to take him to Medhem. Karl doesn't say who he is and who he works for, nor why he has to get there. Over time Raine finds out it is to save his friend, Sam who was sold into slavery.

The story is short and I miss a lot of world building and story set up.
Catherine
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Beyond Meridian is a m/m sci-fi novella which combines action and romance to deliver a fast-paced and enjoyable story.

When Karl, a mysterious young man who’s seeking transportation to another territory, one that is closely guarded by the Confederation of Free Planets, approaches Captain Rick Raine asking for help, Rick has no real idea what he’s getting himself into. After uncovering a growing attraction for each other and learning about Karl’s true reason for his journey, Rick must decide if he
Kirstin
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Captain Rick Raine thinks he's helping Karl with a cargo load when he agrees to take him to another planet. Along the way, they get caught up with privateers and get stuck battling the United Planetary Alliance. When Karl finally shares some of his secrets, Raine has to decide if he's worth a mission that could result in execution.

This was a quick read and it was fun. Zooming through the galaxy at light speed with AI and spider looking robots is quite an adventure. I liked the story and it held
Amanda
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick, enjoyable read with fun worldbuilding and some sexy space rogues. Sure, there are sci fi tropes aplenty, but that added to my enjoyment - I do love a captain who loves his ship accompanied by a naive "kid" who's more than he seems. I would definitely read the future adventures of Raine and Karl!

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.
Elisa Rolle
Crimson by Ethan X. Thomas

Crimson is an alternative reality story from all the possible perspectives you look at it. First of all, the prejudice here is not given by the fact that Benjamin is gay, but by the fact that Adam, his partner is of a different breed.

Benjamin and Adam are different in all possible aspects other than one, their sex, and this is the only thing that seems to not arising trouble. Benjamin is 44 years old and still mourning the betrayal of his former lover; he is an high le
Jennifer Lavoie
I bought this book awhile ago and had it on my e-shelf to be read at some later point. I finally got around to reading it, and I'm so disappointed I didn't read it sooner. I absolutely LOVED this story. The setting was wonderful, the details of the ship-while sparse at times-were executed well. There were just enough details to leave me enjoying the scifi elements of the story while focusing on the characters.

Raine and Karl are both wonderful. Raine is a spacer who makes runs-legal and not-betw
Kassa
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beyond Meridian is the second book (because I read it second) in the trio of stories in the Men in Space anthology. This is better than the first story and it’s packed with action and adventure for those thrill seeking readers. The characters are good with plenty of hot sex but this novella also includes a fully fleshed out and executed plot. The story is a little reminiscent of every other space story in existence but that familiarity shouldn’t bother too many readers as long as they know that ...more
J'aime
I ordered this because I truly enjoyed CC Bridges' SciFi novel, Angel 1089, and wanted to read more by the author. There are three novellas included. All are solid stories, but none of them fully pulled me in. I think this is because SciFi is so difficult to pull off in the short story format - the length means something is usually scarified (character development, world-building, plot, or the romance).

BEYOND MERIDIAN BY CC BRIDGES. This was my favorite of the three. Rick takes on Karl as passen
Serena Yates
Jan 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
This is a good meld between an adventure/rescue, an interesting future world and characters who reveal who they really are bit by bit and only when they have no other choice. There is quite a bit of plot in this story and a lot of secrets.

I enjoyed following Raine and Karl on their trip to rescue a good friend of Karl's who's been sold into slavery. The two men gradually become closer as they learn to trust each other. Their relationship is almost entirely driven by lust, but there is a hint of
ren
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
beyond meridian had a nice story and nice characters, but it kinda failed to keep me /really/ interested.
the plot was fun, fast-paced and interesting, making it the strongest aspect of the story, and while, like, i said, the characters were nice, none of them felt really developed/fleshed out. as a result, the relationship between the main characters felt hollow and a bit boring.
didn't hate it, but i didn't like it either.
LutaWolf
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually suprised by the low ratings here. I'm going to have to say that this is probably simply because we all have different tastes. It is a well written, exicuted story. The characters are not only detailed but intresting and amusing. The plot is familiar but good. However not everyone is into sci like this. I love aliens :) So it was and enjoyable read for me.
Anthony
Liked the genre, liked the characters, liked the direction the story was going in. Didn't like the lack of detail in surround world and environment the characters had to exist in. The lens was too focused on the characters and needed to include the world they lived in.
Maygirl7
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, scifi
I enjoyed the interaction between Rick Raine and Karl and, in particular, their banter with each other. Good, fun, quick read. The tie-up at the end (i.e., the development of their HEA) was a bit too quick and not completely believable.
Leila Anani
Young hero hires hunky space pirate to rescue the female secret agent who in turn rescued him from a brothel when he was young. Great gay action/adventure romance novella. Fans of authors like Mel Keegan are going to love this. Excellent stuff.
Idamus
Jul 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, but when you call your lover 'Kid' during/after sex, I stop reading, doesn't matter how old they are, it still makes me sick
Sean
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
well, it was a little 2D on the characters, and a little lacking on scifi for my tastes. But, with that said: still an 'ok' read. ;)
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.8 Stars

See updates for my comments; I'll also add that it felt a little rushed, and lacked some depth of character.
Warconq
This is a good read. It could be filled out a little more but I like the characters and the sexy times were good.
Houston Woods
Nov 29, 2013
TabiZ
Mar 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I love creating new worlds slightly off-center from our own. I'm a writer of scifi, fantasy and the paranormal.

Check out my webpage for excerpts and find out what I'm currently working on!

Men in Space (3 books)
  • Crimson (Men in Space, #2)
  • Moonlust (Men in Space, #3)