Start by marking “The Body Myth” as Want to Read:
The Body Myth

The Body Myth

Mira is a teacher living in the heart of Suryam, a modern bustling in city India, and the only place in the world the fickle Rasagura fruit grows. Mira lives alone, and with only the French existentialists as companions, until the day she witnesses a beautiful woman having a seizure in the park. Mira runs to help her but is cautious, for she could have sworn the woman look ...more
Paperback
Published February 26th 2019 by The Unnamed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Body Myth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body Myth

Brittany | thebookishfiiasco
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-reads
(@unnamedpress #partner)
sitting here, having just finished this book, i know i have a lot to process. from the start, this story grabbed me with the same intensity that Mira was grabbed by Sara and Rahil. there were moments where i found myself as enthralled by their sickly sultry life, despite knowing how potentially toxic and maladaptive it was. for a moment you question, wait, am I Mira? this book will draw you in to the story and have you questioning how you feel throughout its unraveling.
Anna Luce
★★★✰✰ 3 stars

“Perhaps they had done this before. Perhaps somewhere in this house were the remains of a broken heart, another widow who fell for their charms only to have her spirit shattered.”

One word: Weird.
And not necessarily a good kind of weird.
This short novel strikes me as being confused: it doesn't know what it wants to be.
Somehow it seemed that this novel was less than the sum of its parts.
“We didn't possess the exact same background to grid our foundation, but we were similar enough to
Rohini
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A disclaimer: I've known Rheea since we were spotty bratty teenagers, and so I have no objectivity. I went into this book knowing that it would be good, and I came out of the book confirmed in that view.

Is this a love story? How do you know someone, how do you KNOW them, where do you find their core authentic self - and what if there is no such thing as an authentic self?

Mira is a widow, falling in love with Sara and Rahul. Who is Sara, really? Why is she I'll, what is wrong, can it be fixed?
Indu Manohar
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The protagonist, Mira, is a lot like that one friend in your circle with the tragic past. Everyone likes to speculate about her romantic liaisons behind her back, but very few people truly know anything about her life.

One can imagine that since her husband's untimely death, she has withdrawn from her past groups of friends in favor of intermittent communication with one intimate confidant.
You, the reader, are that confidant. You get to hear her side of the story outside of rumour, unkind remar
Indrayudh Ghoshal
I got hold of an ARC.

The storytelling was so fluid, and vivid, that it made it hard to put down. I rarely feel that way about literary fiction.

The characters, their inner clocks, their motivations and machinations, elevate the seemingly plain setting of the book almost to thriller level, without ever losing flow.

This makes it my best fiction read of the last couple of years.
Manjiri Indurkar
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me all of 17 hours to finish Rheea Mukherjee's unputdownable book, The Body Myth. It was my last book of 2018, and I am happy that it turned out to be that way because I ended my year on a rather high note. The Body Myth is primarily the story of three characters Mira, Sara, and Rahil. Mira, a widow, is grieving the loss of her husband and trying to find her place in the world when she encounters Sara and Rahil. Sara, who suffers from a strange ailment that is as physical as it is psycho ...more
Satyavrat Krishnakumar
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I got an ARC of the book.

The art of the review, if it possessed any to begin with, has like many other things gone the Zomato way. Mr. Shah liked the ambience, but the waiter's lack of an antebellum sense of servitude left a lot to be desired. What we are left with is a hackneyed, threadbare grocery list, colored with splashes of rococo prejudice serving as the only reminder that there is indeed a person typing all this out. This review endeavors to be no more than that. The brief r
Julie Dalton
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rheea Mukherjee’s debut, THE BODY MYTH, mesmerizes with intoxicating meditations on the nature of love, mental health, happiness, spirituality, grief, and health. As her young, widowed protagonist is drawn into relationships with a married couple, Mukherjee entices readers to reconsider societal expectations and the many shapes of love and grief. Framed by the mythology of the fictional Rasagura fruit, and filled with mysticism, philosophy, and poetry, THE BODY MYTH will stay with the readers lo ...more
Madyson
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this quickly. Not because it was a quick read, but because I couldn’t put it down! Beautifully written. Complex. Uncomfortable. Will probably read it again.
Amyruszkiewicz
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woah. I read quickly but this is a record for me. What a tremendous novel. Beautiful language. Profound meditation on philosophy, literature, friendship, family, grief, and love.
Jordan Davidson
  • Many Lives
  • Time's Children
  • The Fountain in the Forest
  • The Quilt & Other Stories
Rheea Mukherjee's work has been featured in Scroll.in, Huffington Post, Chicago Review Of Books, Electric Literature, Southern Humanities Review, Cleaver Magazine, Out of Print, and Bengal Lights, among others.

Her debut novel The Body Myth is forthcoming in the U.S (February 2019) by Unnamed Press. Her previous fiction has been nominated for a Pushcart and was a semi-finalist for the Black Lawre