Start by marking “A Beautiful Place to Die” as Want to Read:
A Beautiful Place to Die

A Beautiful Place to Die

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A pensioner with advancing cancer is kicked out of her home with her dog. She doesn’t want to die on the filthy city streets so sets about finding a more beautiful place to rest her head.

A lady sick of seeing people act coldly decides to help a man on the street. She later finds out he escaped from prison only twenty-four hours before.

A Beautiful Place to Die is a heart-w
Paperback, 1, 199 pages
Published October 27th 2018 by Samuel Bigglesworth

To ask other readers questions about A Beautiful Place to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beautiful Place to Die

Debra
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A Beautiful Place to Die is a collection of short stories featuring characters of all ages and in various settings, and life circumstances in or near Manchester, England. Short story collections are often hard for me to rate as they contain many stories and while some may hit the mark there will be some that don't. For the most part, I enjoyed all the short stories in this collection to varying degrees. My two favorites were "Where's Amit?" and "The Watcher Woman".

This book deals with the human
Jim Fonseca
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A collection of great short stories from this British writer. Several focus on down-and-out folks in Manchester. And a lot of dogs! Some examples of the stories:

In “Where’s Amit” a dementia patient in a nursing home – “a waiting place to die” - has caring and very uncaring care givers.

In “The Soldier of Luxury,” a friendless man, twenty years older than all his co-workers, gets invited by them to a weekend hike. We know why he’s friendless – he thinks he knows it all and he thinks he can buy eve
Fabian
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new albeit ominous voice in the vein of Shirley Jackson and Flannery O'Connor, it also delves into a Murakami-like simplicity that pulsates with a wicked undertow. These short stories are full of life, character, manically-distinct description. Realities are established impeccably--so well, in fact, that a lack of plot in several of these vignettes seems just so right, very natural. Bigglesworth develops a slight psychosis in most of his tales that does not paint everything quite black. It man ...more
Samuel Bigglesworth
Sep 05, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Out today!

Huge thanks to everyone for your support! Both formats are on for a special low price this weekend, in case anyone wants to grab a bargain :-)

'In this must-read, in-your-face collection of spine-tingling short stories rife with metaphor, author Samuel Bigglesworth approaches the taboo subject of death and the triumph of the human spirit with humor, brutal honesty and compassion' - Lianna Albrizio for IndieReader.

'An exciting collection from a big-hearted and perceptive writer' - Clare
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
This was a strange read, but not in a bad way. Like most short story collections, it borders on the weird and hard to understand, and is mostly about morally grey situations. What is different from most short story collections, though, is that it's interconnected.

The interconnectedness was both a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing was that I think it's absolutely awesome when the same characters appear in different stories at different points in their lives. They form storylines that are
Carolyn
This is a collection of short stories depicting people struggling with a range of conditions from homelessness, loneliness, dementia. Some of the stories are dark but they are not all depressing and there are even touches of understated humour, such as in the story of the lonely boss who goes hiking with his younger colleagues ("The Soldier of Luxury") and the parent being patient with his daughter ("The Coral Tailed Waffle Bird"). The author describes his varied characters with warmth and empat ...more
Paul Lockman
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I would like to thank the author for sending me an Advanced Reader Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This collection of short stories has a wide variety of characters in various settings and many of them work reasonably well. A few stories were a little dark with the main characters either down on their luck or close to dying (as the title suggests) but they were written in a somewhat positive manner and showed some warmth and humanity. As with any book of short stories there we
Paul
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
ARC provided by the author, in exchange for an honest review.

I would like to thank the author, Samuel Bigglesworth, for providing an ARC of such a cute heartwarming little book.

A Beautiful Place to Die is a collection of short stories revolving around one axis, an axis that all of humanity revolves around really, an axis that is really at the core of what it is to be human: human vulnerability. With different short stories discovering different sides of this human aspect, this book comes a remi
Nancy
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
Sam Bigglesworth's collection A Beautiful Place to Die demonstrates his ability to capture a character's pivotal moment. I often found myself invested in the characters to the point I wished their story continued.

The fourteen stories are quite diverse. Some are open-ended, some have a surprise or shock ending. Characters have a moment of life-altering clarity, lessons are learned, frailties uncovered, alliances made or severed. Shocking conclusions come in several of the stories.

The Watcher
Ruchi Patel
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned
It’s a collection of 14 short stories. I usually like long stories/ novels more compared to short stories but I definitely loved this one. Fourteen stories based on stories of all age groups and every single human emotion is covered. Writing style of author is beautiful. Well descriptive stories make us feel like we are watching movies in our imagination. Heart touching stories. My favourite stories are very first and the last one. “The coral tailed waffle bird” in that beautiful relationship of ...more
Zoe Hall
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I received an ARC of this book, so thank you for sending me a copy.

I enjoyed this. There are quite a few short stories so I think it will appeal to many people. Overall, a nice read for those cozy Sunday afternoons.
Nicola Fantom
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author very kindly sent me a copy for me to review. Such a beautiful collection of short stories, I especially appreciate the end story as I myself am vegan and you dont often read about vegetarian or vegan people in novels. I also loved the morals in the older boss who wanted to outdo his younger colleagues, it was very true to life, I felt sorry for him, but also thought get a grip Lols.

Such a well written beleiveable bunch of characters and such slice of life stories that will stay with
Denise Worley
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like this collection of short stories. They were interesting and kept you wanting to read more. I like that it was easy to stop and pick up again and how some stories intertwined. If you need something to warm your heart or lift you up I would read this. Some stories are sad and some are uplifting and they have cute pictures at the beginning of each story that went along with the story.
Esther Lawton
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a collection of short stories with a common theme of questioning what humanity is. I was given an ARC and will honour it with an honest review.
The stories were poignant and engaging on the most part, and most of them felt as though they fit in with this collection. Some of the voice for me is reminiscent of Elizabeth Strout's. The better stories were sensitive and beautiful, and I really empathised with the POV character and they kept me very interested.
I don't know if I'm mistaken, but
Lindsey
Short story collections tend to be a mixed bag. I'm always pleased if even half of the stories are good. So when I picked up this collection of self-published short stories by a dude I'd never heard of I was skeptical, to say the least. Honestly, the very first story ("The Coral-Tailed Waffle Bird") didn't really convince me. It was decent but not exciting. Then the second story, "Where's Amit", blew me away, and it only got better from there. There were one or two mediocre stories after that bu ...more
Hazel
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

A Beautiful Place to Die is a collection of short stories by the British author Samuel Bigglesworth. Set mostly in Manchester, England each story contains a unique set of characters from diverse backgrounds. Beginning with a story about an endangered bird and ending with an escaped convict, the fourteen tales have the ability to cause both laughter and tears.

The titular story, A Beautiful Place to Die concerns a
John Carter
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent an ARC by the author in exchange for a review.

I love short stories. They’re my favourite thing to read. I don’t know if it’s because I like seeing glimpses into people’s lives, or if it’s because I have a short attention span, but I like short stories more than anything else. That’s probably why I write them myself. Whenever I get a collection of short stories it goes right to the top of my ‘to read’ pile. And I’m rarely let down. ‘A Beautiful Place To Die’ is one of those collections
Kay Smillie
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this quirky set of short stories. Character-driven, emotive tales that leave tears in your eyes, your heart in your mouth, or make you think. Most of these stories made me think, actually. Particularly about what kind of world we live in, and how we treat other people such as the homeless, ill, those different than ourselves, and the vulnerable.

[TRIGGER WARNING]
I was watching an advert on TV for a charity last week where a mother told her son's story. All this wee bairn had seen in his l
Jen (Feffer)
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, language-alert
A free advanced reader copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. (Thank you!) My review was in no way influenced by this consideration.

I have to start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of short-form fiction as a rule, but I do make exceptions for remarkable writing: Anthony Doerr, E. B. White, and Mark Twain all come to mind. Readers of my blog will find a few collections of short stories by modern authors that I've liked, as well. This is not one of them.

I
Susan
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-read
Humanity. That would be the first word that pops into my head when I think about all of the short stories included in this book A Beautiful Place to Die by Samuel Bigglesworth. There are 14 in all, short stories I mean, that will take you through every emotion possible. Some were more dark than others but the complexities and realisms were true in each one. There are many age groups, settings, and timeframes that encompass the beauty of each story. I have a hard time actually saying which one wo ...more
John Greenwood
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Beautiful Place To Die is a great collection of short stories exploring relationships, life and loss.

I gave this book 5 stars because there were a number o the stories that really touched me - in particular ‘Where’s Amit?’, ‘The Gremlin’ and ‘I Got Them Trying To’.

There is a real thread of loss running through the stories, sometimes sprinkled with hope, but not always. Which isn’t anywhere near as depressing as it sounds.

On a personal level, the areas where lots of the stories are based (aroun
SALLY WHITE
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Goodreads for sending me this book. I have not read any of this authors books before, and I enjoyed this one. It is a collection of short stories, so you can pick it up and put it down, reading it in short bursts. The stories display a number of emotions sometimes sadness, funny, heart-warming, shocking, often all within the same story. The descriptions of the characters are good and the stories very descriptive and atmospheric - I could almost taste the samosas in one story!
Eva Lazar
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This collection of short stories is the kind where you keep thinking they'll connect somehow in the end. The stories don't - at least not directly. What the stories do instead, is showcase a series of snapshots out of the lives of different people who might just have all lived in the same area. It shows how there is profundity to be found in small moments in life.
Debby
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Received this book in a Goodreads giveaway. A collection of short stories on a variety of subjects.
Marvin Fender
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I won this book in the GoodReads Giveaway program. This is an ARC printed copy. Many of the stories in this offering are grim and dark with some life lessons which loosely apply in a quirky way. I liked " The Dog Whisperer" and "A Beautiful Place to Die" especially well. Both stories were charming in their way. The rest of the book was somewhat unappealing to me. The writing was good nice crisp use of the language with adequate character development and some nice twists in the plots. Over all a ...more
Faisal