Start by marking “The Confectioner's Guild (The Confectioner Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Confectioner's Guild (The Confectioner Chronicles, #1)

The Confectioner's Guild

(The Confectioner Chronicles #1)

A magic cupcake. A culinary killer. The perfect recipe for murder.

Wren knew her sweet treats could work wonders, but she never knew they could work magic. She barely has time to wrap her head around the stunning revelation when the head of the prestigious Confectioner’s Guild falls down dead before her. Poisoned by her cupcake.

Now facing murder charges in a magical world
Published October 23rd 2018 by Live Edge Publishing

Karen
This is too good to miss! A must read!

I am so glad the author decided to give out arc copies months before we had to review it by release date.
One, because of my crazy schedule, I barely have enough time to read a book all in one go like I use to, and two, i was able to take my time and enjoy this incredible journey with Wren!

Wren is a very talented confectioner. She works for her master at an ordinary bakery, baking and decorating beautiful cupcakes and other sweets.
To the eyes of the custo
Darce
Recommended by Karen 😊

I read this because it was recommended by the lovely Karen, and I’m glad I did. It was a fun and entertaining read about magic and baking with some romance to spice everything up. There was mystery and there was murder, betrayal and bonds formed, and throughout the book you got to find out the wonder of baking magic. This book reminded me slightly of Chocolat (there are clear similarities with baking and magic) but this book had the story of a girl framed for murder.

Wren i
Mellie Antoinette
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
***#earc thanks to #netgalley and @claireluana in exchange for a fair review***

Son of a Spicer, this novel was extraordinary!! A Caraval-esque escape into the Wonderland of Guild politics and mysterious cupcakes!

By the Beekeeper, just as I think maybe I’ve read all of my favorite books, Claire Luana goes and writes Lucas Hale, that’s two book BF’s, ladies, not one!! We’ve got it all here - yummy lads, frosting’d cads and even an Inquisitor whom I swear has a heart of gold buried under all that
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)

description
descriptionThis book was so much fun to read. It was like a Harry Potter book with magical food! We get a fantastic and well-written story. It was very well paced. The world building was excellent. It had a mystery that kept me guessing until the end. A little romance. Some great friendships. A likable cast of characters (even if all of them acted a decade older than they were supposed to be). I enjoyed it a lot and can't wait to get my hands on the next book. This one gets two thumbs up from yours truly.description

Sylvia Mercedes
So I knew I was going to enjoy this. I loved Claire Luana's Moonburner Cycle, after all. But I wasn't sure I'd like this as much since I was somehow under the impression it would be more fluffy and lighthearted.

SO NOT TRUE.

This is NOT a fluffy or lighthearted story. It's very different from Moonburner, yes, but it's full of the same high stakes and drama and excitement and near-deaths-and-escapes. Not to mention incredible world-building, a fantastic kickbutt lead heroine, and a very charming he
Crystal King
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, delicious story about Wren, a young woman who was "discovered" for her tantalizing--and magical--confections and brought to join the prestigious Confectioner's Guild. Except that as soon as she arrives, she becomes a murder suspect, with only a few weeks to help clear her good name. This was a fun, fantastical and food-filled read, a page-turner that will both satisfy and yet, leave you hungry for more. The good news? This is only the first in the series.
Aqsa
Sep 20, 2018 marked it as this-month
Karen recommends it
Hélène Louise
My first impressions were very good, I was enthusiastic and ready for a very good read. The ebook I received is lovely, with two beautiful maps and very soigné chapters' font. Alas I became quickly disillusioned...

The good points were plentiful: a classic setting but an original and fascinating magic. This aspect I loved. The whole pseudo Harry Potter situation was nice, too: a young girl discovering that she has some incredible magic, a best kept secret between some happy few, a young girl who
Nikki
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I give the Confectioner’s Guild a strong 3.5 stars as it is a light and fun look at magic and conspiracies and romance and murder. Yes I just said fun approach to murder. 😂 but it is! It’s cleverly done actually - a murder mystery but also lots of baking and light fantasy. See? Fun! 😂

It did take me a while to catch up to what was going on, much like Wren, but I think it’s an approach that works. The baking i
Kirsti
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

I knew aas soon as I read the blurb that this book and I would be a match in heaven! I mean, I completely adore murder mystery, and my second choice is YA, and then you add in magic and food and I was completely sold! There is everything I basically lived for right there. Magic cupcakes, people.

When Wren is accused of murder just after being granted the opportunity of a lifetime, she has only weeks to prove herself innocen
~ Althea ~  ☾
Thank you to Live Edge Publishing and Netgalley for sending me an ARC to review, although all opinions and comments are of my own.

I am a character-driven story kind of reader and is a huge factor that affects my reading experience. Which was a good thing in this case because I found the plot to be really cliche and it was something that I was able to predict at every twist. But this is coming from someone who has read her fair share of fantasy books.

The story started out really interesting for m
Aali Hashim
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
i received this via netgalley in exchange for an honest review

on paper, the confectioner’s guild sounds like an awesome concept for a fantasy series - it’s literally filled with magic food. how cool is that?? the main character, wren, finds out she has been making magical cupcakes for years, and is taken to the confectioner’s guild to receive training. but in the process of explaining the magic to wren, the head of her guild is killed, and wren is blamed. the book follows her journey as she trie
Angela
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

The Confectioner’s Guild is the first book in The Confectioner’s Chronicles by Claire Luana. The Moonburner Cycle is one of my favourite fantasy series ever, so when I discovered that Ms. Luana was releasing a new series, I could not wait for it to be available. I began devouring it within minutes of it hitting my Kindle. Even though the premise is quite different from the Moonburner books, I still had really high expectations and I am really excited to say that Ms. Luana certainly delive
STB
Nov 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Karen recomended it. I ll surely read this Karen. Your recommendation is my pleasure .😆
Lisa Whitehead
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magical food, but not everyone knows?! Love it, well written and an enjoyable read.
Claire ✨
IN SUMMARY: Though THE CONFECTIONER'S GUILD brings some sweet ideas with a mystery to whet your appetite, it sours with cliché, clumsy and often obnoxious attempts to create drama and the complete 180 of priorities when the two stereotypical and underbaked love interests are introduced.

MY THOUGHTS:

DNF at 24%.

I read this on public transport and the amount of times I rolled my eyes must have been a cause for concern for other passengers.

What drew me to THE CONFECTIONER'S GUILD is the mystery m
Jesikah Sundin
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance, ya
A delicious read from the very first page! CONFECTIONER'S GUILD infuses magic into every bite paired with bittersweet storytelling ingredients that are sure to tantalize mystery, fantasy, and romance readers alike.

The worldbuilding dripped with visuals that practically danced on one's tongue. But it is the characters who stole my heart. Wren, a young woman plucked from the streets, toils in a corner bakery until the plots of kings and power hungry men spoil one rose-petaled cupcake of her makin
Janine
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first in a new series by Claire Luana, The Confectioner’s Guild pulled me in very quickly with the concept of food based magic, which intrigued my interest as a hobbyist chef/baker. In this case, Wren, our protagonist, bakes luck into desserts. Though her luck doesn’t last long as she’s accused of murder and has little time to figure out who really did it.

I related with Wren and her plight as the story progressed; there’s quite a bit of depth to her character with a dark past that’s revealed
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
I love food-based magic. Usually you see it most in middle grade, but The Confectioner’s Guild is a fantastic example of a YA book with excellent food magic, gorgeously tasty descriptions, and plenty of adventure.

Just to get this out of the way: one tiny point about this is that I’m really not convinced about the use of apostrophes in the text. Surely if it is a guild of confectioners, it is the Confectioners’ Guild? All the guilds have this singular possessive apostrophe and it’s a little weird
Ashley McLeo
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and look forward to continuing the series. Luna gives readers a unique, fun take on magic and I can’t wait to (hopefully) learn more about the other guilds in future books.
Wren is a loveable heroine with a dark past to give her depth. However, for me, the side characters of Sable and Hale were favorites. I’m hoping to learn much more of them in the coming books! A deeper dive into this world and its politics would also be awesome as a continuation of the series.
Overa
Natalie
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
What a charming, sweet, and fun confection of a book!

It’s a blend of fantasy and mystery, with compelling characters and an interesting plot. I can’t wait to read more books set in this world.

Oh, and all the delicious food they were making and eating made me hungry!
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

I'm not sure I was in the right mood for this. It definitely has lots of 'cute' potential and I think I'm in a more 'blood and destruction' mood.

I personally think that it may have been a bit too long as well but as I said it might be my mood dictating.
Roz
Oct 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-tbr
A MAGIC cupcake? A murder? What? Gimme.
Kibby
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.5/5

Full Review at Something of the Book.

If you are looking for a book that makes you smile, swoon, laugh, and crave cupcakes, then look no further. The Confectioner’s Guild by Claire Luana is an absolute delight of a book. It has been a long time since I enjoyed reading a book as much as I did with this one. The main characters are all well written, while the plot is engaging and moves at a good pace.

Wren is slightly sassy, harbors a tragic past, and is determined to find her pl
Elizabeth
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Roller coaster

This novel was a roller coaster of a ride. I loved hearing about wren and was living through her experiences. I want to read the others in this series as soon as possible, I couldn’t put it down until it ended.
Jenni Frencham
Luana, Claire. The Confectioner's Guild. Live Edge Publishing, 2018.

Wren is an orphan who has been working in a bakery since the baker discovered her using a leftover piping bag to decorate a snowbank. She prefers her job over a life in the streets, until one day when a guild member whisks her away from her bakery and informs her that her bakery skills are actually imbuing her treats with magic and that she must be trained. Immediately after learning this, the head of her guild dies and Wren is
Ruthsic
Warnings: torture, slut-shaming, violence

The world of the Confectioner's Chronicles has a monarchy balanced by artisan guilds, and a young girl Wren caught in the middle of a power struggle between them. Wren is recruited by the Confectioner's Guild because it is discovered she can Infuse foods with Luck, and moments after she is inducted, she becomes a prime suspect in the murder of her Guildmaster. The main inspector on the case, Lucas, sees innocence in her and vouches for her to give her mor
Pauliina Vuorinen (The Bookaholic Dreamer)
I received an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publisher, author and Netgalley for providing me a copy!

This is a shortened version of my review, to see my thoughts in full visit my blog:
bookaholicdreamer.wordpress.com/2018/...

The Confectioner's Guild is a delightful mystery with magical elements. It is a light-read and action-packed throughout which makes it almost impossible to put down.

Wren is extremely skilled in making sweet treats, which is why a crum
Kathy - Books & Munches
The whole food-aspect in The Confectioner's Guild was right up my alley. Not only the presence of food - because, trust me, there's a lot of food mentioned - but also the way it's incorporated in the author's writing. Where others compare the sky to colors, Claire Luana compares so many things to delicious sounding dishes, confections and even fruits. Can you blame me for being entranced by it?

The biggest part of this novel is, of course, the murder mystery Wren - our main character - has to so
Rosita Alfieri
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wren sa di avere un talento speciale per la creazione dei cupcake. Quello che non sapeva è che il suo talento è anche di natura magica: può letteralmente infondere magia nei suoi dolci. Ma Wren ha a malapena il tempo di elaborare questa nuova informazione che il capo della Confectioner's Guild mure avvelenato davanti ai suoi occhi. Subito dopo aver mangiato uno dei suoi cupcake. Accusata dell'omicidio, Wren dovrà farsi in quattro per scagionarsi e, nel frattempo, abituarsi alla nuova realtà dell ...more
  • Prophecy of Darkness (Legends of the Tri-Gard, #1)
  • Deadly Sweet (The Spellwork Syndicate, #1)
  • Big Water
  • Unwritten
  • Game of Lies: A WhyChoose Paranormal Romance (Magic Awakened Book 2)
  • Rock F*ck Club (Rock F*ck Club, #3)
  • The Raven Thief (The Wild Rites Saga #5)
  • Harem of Sin (Secrets Of The Fallen #1)
  • Illusions
  • What Tears Us Apart
  • The Five Warriors
  • Marks of the Mazza
  • The Door to the Lost
  • Blackout (The Color Alchemist, #3)
  • The Scarlet Spy
  • Be Everything at Once: Tales of a Cartoonist Lady Person
  • Indestructible (Indestructible, #1)
  • The Chaos of Now
Claire Luana grew up reading everything she could get her hands on and writing every chance she could. Eventually, adulthood won out, and she turned her writing talents to more scholarly pursuits, going to work as a commercial litigation attorney at a mid-sized law firm. While continuing to practice law, Claire decided to return to her roots and try her hand once again at creative writing.

She has

The Confectioner Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Confectioner's Coup (Confectioner Chronicles, #2)
  • The Confectioner's Truth (Confectioner Chronicles Book 3)
“personal chocolate tarts filled with molten raspberry filling that spilled out in a dreamy puddle of fuchsia when sliced into. When Wren took her first bite she closed her eyes, savoring the tangy bite of the dark chocolate mingling with the buoyancy of the raspberry.” 0 likes