Start by marking “Miranda in Milan” as Want to Read:
Miranda in Milan

Miranda in Milan

With Miranda in Milan, debut author Katharine Duckett reimagines the consequences of Shakespeare’s The Tempest, casting Miranda into a Milanese pit of vipers and building a queer love story that lifts off the page in whirlwinds of feeling.

After the tempest, after the reunion, after her father drowned his books, Miranda was meant to enter a brave new world. Naples await

Published March 26th 2019 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Miranda in Milan, please sign up.
Katharine Duckett Hi! I didn't write the characters with those labels in mind, because the way people in the early modern period related to their sexuality wouldn't nec…moreHi! I didn't write the characters with those labels in mind, because the way people in the early modern period related to their sexuality wouldn't necessarily align with the identifiers that contemporary queer people use. That said, I think the story probably functions better as lesbian representation, but leave it open to readers' interpretations.(less)

Start your review of Miranda in Milan
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
In this recent novella sequel to Shakespeare's The Tempest, Prospero's daughter Miranda travels back to Milan with him and finds life a lot more unpleasant than she expected. Everyone treats her like some kind of monster, she's confined to her rooms and only allowed out with a heavy veil, her fiance Ferdinand has disappeared, and her father is distant and uninterested in her welfare. The only bright spot in Miranda's life is one of the maids, Dorothea. Maybe she can help Miranda figure out what' ...more
Lex Kent
3.50 Stars. I have been enjoying listening to audio CD’s while driving. When I stumbled upon Miranda in Milan for only 1.50 USD for a MP3 CD, which is half the price the ebook costs, I could not pass that deal up. This is a novella but it is still 4 hours and 30 mins of audio so it’s a great deal. I’m not sure what the price is in other countries but Amazon US page is still showing that low price for the audio CD as of 1/30/2020. The ebook price is 3.99.

This is supposed to be a version of what
Tim
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, 2010s
Miranda in Milan is an attempt to write a sequel to a Shakespeare play. Many have attempted such a task and few ever seem to really capture what made the plays special in the first place. The plot here follows Miranda after the events of The Tempest. After arriving in Milan, she begins to suspect much is amiss. The people act as if she is a ghost, and clearly her father did not renounce his magic as he said he would in Shakespeare's play. With the help of a maid/witch Dorothea, she will unlock s ...more
Hiu Gregg
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
A slightly strange, slightly unsettling, but very sweet story. I was a huge fan of the romance, and the writing flows together so well. Read it all in two sittings, and it would have been one if life didn't get in the way.
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

💉 This book did exactly deliver what it promised, a sapphic retelling of Shakespeare’s The Tempest! I am not fan of classics and I did not read the tempest but I looked up a couple of summaries online to see what it was online and this stayed close to the original story with the addition
Katie.dorny
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq
This glided along the surface of this classic story, but it just seemed lacklustre and as though the author was just colouring inside the lines without enveloping the reader in anything worth connecting to.
Jeanette
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This took me away to another time and place. One of my very favorites too- Milano, Italia. But in a classical and other era/ human cognition that reminded me strongly of Madeline Miller's works within the Greek gods' classics retells. Nobility parental dictates and some of the "kindness" habits being so similar.

Couldn't put it down. It was the perfect length and pace for my grasping the Miranda reality and "eyes" for her own situation and the inheritances from her parents.

The writing was excel
Corrie
"To be in this world, you must always be a little less than yourself. With every day that passes, you must give up a little more. And ... it hurts. If you dwell on it, it sometimes hurts too much to bear."

Miranda in Milan, Katharine Duckett’s Shakespearean fantasy novella debut was a great discovery. Don’t worry if you haven’t read The Tempest. Duckett explains some of it in flashbacks through Miranda’s point of view, so you won’t feel completely lost.

Poor Miranda. I really felt for her. Plucked
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/04/14/...

Miranda in Milan isn’t so much a retelling than a sequel, reimagining of the events after The Tempest by William Shakespeare, picking up the tale at the play’s end where everyone including the magician Prospero and his daughter Miranda are getting ready to head back to Naples. But instead, they end up in Milan. Miranda and Ferdinand are to be married in celebration of their triumphant return, and Prospero himself is to rec
Zitong Ren
This was just a really nice novella to read and it was something I was able to get through quite quickly.
Acqua
Sep 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: novella, etbr, yff
This is f/f set in Italy (and in a place in Italy that isn't Venice!)
It could either be great o go really wrong, I hope it's the former
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
I enjoyed this, even if I did feel everything had a flavour of underdevelopment due to the restraints of the novella length. A very original idea, though! Thoroughly enjoyed the Shakespeare basis, especially as I love The Tempest. And the f/f relationship, of course.

> 3.8 stars

read for #fffebruaryreads 2020
Justine
Miranda in Milan started out peculiarly in my point of view, but once I get the gripping of the pacing and its standing itself in the novel; it was amazing! It is an #OwnVoices for sapphic romance read. I love to seeing development such as this; stories that are represented not only in heteronormative point of view but as a retelling that reaches the diverse community, both gender, race, and religion. It features a queer, black, Muslim, Dorothea.

I adore the romance happening. It was flowing out
Terence
Not very substantial. It could have been an interesting idea - what happens to Miranda when she and her father return to Milan - but it's only superficially developed. Prospero is reduced to a one-dimensional, power mad villain; and Miranda doesn't get much agency. She's carried along by a sympathetic friend & witch, Dorothea, and a dea ex machina.

Decent enough brain candy but not really recommended.

Caidyn (NO LONGER ACTIVE; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

I received an ARC from Tor in exchange for an honest review!

3.5/5

CW: parental death and emotional abuse/neglect

While I love Shakespeare, The Tempest is a play that I’ve enjoyed but never able to get into. I think it was because I wasn’t into the plot (although the writing is gorgeous) and I never liked Prospero. I thought he was, to put it bluntly, a bit of a dick. He wasn’t a likable character. I could never sympathize or empathize with him.

Enter Chantel
Anna Luce
Mar 27, 2019 marked it as dnf
Insta-love! Maybe it won't bother me in a future reading but as of now I'm finding this boring.

Minor quibble: Why have a character give themselves an Italian name...which isn't Italian? Dorotea exists. Dorothea? Nope.
Jenia
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Miranda in Milan is a charming book that offers a queer take on Shakespeare's The Tempest. It continues the story a few weeks after the play's ending (so SPOILERS for a 400 year old play, I guess). Miranda and her father have triumphantly returned to Milan from their remote island. But the island is the only home Miranda remembers, and despite her position as the lord's daughter, she finds herself shunned and isolated. Moreover, her father has not given up his magical powers as he had promised; ...more
Nicky
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, queer, romance
I liked Miranda in Milan more than I expected from the reviews I saw around before I read it -- I was curious, but not wildly interested, and mostly just picked it up now because I'm reading a lot of short fiction because that's what's working for my brain. And it turns out... I really liked it. I started reading it and figured I'd have to stop halfway through for work; halfway through, I damned work and carried on until I was finished.

It's a semi-retelling, semi-sequel to The Tempest; a retelli
Moonglum
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: shakespeare, fantasy
I really liked the prose, and the gothic creepiness. If this were not an interpretation of and sequel to the Tempest, I would have liked it more. As it was, I thought that it was too unfair to Prospero. The novel negates Prospero's transformation in the play by telling us that he did not in fact give up his magic. That is a major theme in the play, and without it having occurred, one does not feel that the book is about Prospero at all. I did not believe that Miranda would have sided with Antoni ...more
Diana Green
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtqa
Although this story started rather slow for me, it picked up in pacing and interest level near the midway point. Once things started moving along and developing more layers, I began enjoying my reading experience more.

I was especially intrigued by Beatrice's back story and felt the creepiness of what happened to her was effectively portrayed. I also liked how Antonio and Agata were more complex than they first seemed. Miranda and Dorothea's relationship developed nicely, (if a little too quickl
James
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, feminist
Full fathom five thy father lies...

What happened to Miranda after the end of Shakespeare's The Tempest, one of the bards stranger plays? This book deals with the uncultured Miranda being ostracized and imprisoned after her return to Milan, with her only friend and later on lover Dorothea/Duriya being her only contact. The evil sorcerer Prospero lied about discarding his powers and is terrorizing Italy, can Miranda find peace somewhere?

An entertaining read and a good first novel. For those unfami
Freya Marske
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy, magical and romantic. This novella shows a deep understanding and affection for my favourite Shakespeare play as well as a willingness to dig in and criticise it. It also has the unmistakable air of a Gothic, which I wasn't expecting, but should have - Miranda's story here fulfils all the requirements of innocent-girl-comes-to-grand-house, exploring secret tunnels, and dark family secrets. And a lovely f/f romance on top of that!
l.
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think this could have worked as a mediocre young adult novel. It’s just a kind of shallow take. But you know... lesbians.
Julia (Shakespeare and Such)
4.6/5 stars, full review to come! Such a delight, honestly.

Plot: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Pacing: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Enjoyment: 5/5
Alexandra
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novel (novella?) was sent to me to review by the publisher, Tor.com, at no cost. It will be out on 26 March, 2019.

Aside from King Lear, which I loathe, I probably dislike The Tempest more than any other Shakespeare play. I don't know why; there's nothing particular I can pinpoint. But I really, really dislike it.

It turns out, though, that stories of Miranda after the play are stories I can really get behind. So maybe this is part of the problem: in the play, I think Miranda is just a bit n
Kaa
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this but I just didn't completely connect with the writing style. Certain parts felt too rushed, while others felt more drawn out than they needed to be. I did really like the ending, though.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
A reimagining of the consequences of The Tempest. Manages to be both an original and an homage; a clever and vivid continuation of the known story with an eye for detail and atmosphere. Perfectly suited to novella length.
Geonn Cannon
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, a very quick read (surprisingly quick... I expected to spend a few days with this one).
wanderer (Para)
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to wanderer (Para) by: Jenia
This was super adorable. RTC.
Alex Sarll
A queer sequel to The Tempest. In the debit column: that's going up against possibly my favourite work by an incomparable writer. In the credit: it's nonetheless one which has always seemed especially receptive to reworking and reimagining, many of which are very powerful in their own right, and I'm not sure any new effort could ever be worse than the Dryden & Davenant. Also, the last Tempest proper I saw was by some distance the worst; if lockdown Shakespeare streaming were lockdown drinking, t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sisters of the Vast Black
  • The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps (The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, #1)
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • Juice Like Wounds (Wayward Children, #4.5)
  • Desdemona and the Deep (Dark Breakers, #3)
  • Finna
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water
  • Tooth and Claw
  • The Mysterious Study of Doctor Sex
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Ghosts of Sherwood (The Robin Hood Stories, #1)
  • Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 29: July/August 2019
  • Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • As the Last I May Know
Katharine Duckett is the author of Miranda in Milan, a Shakespearean fantasy novella debut that NPR calls "intriguing, adept, inventive, and sexy." Her short fiction has appeared in Uncanny, Apex, PseudoPod, and Interzone, as well as various anthologies including Disabled People Destroy Science Fiction and Wilde Stories 2015: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction. She is the guest fiction editor ...more

News & Interviews

“If there was anything I find wanting about your face, Miranda, it is only that I long to gaze upon it in the sun, where it belongs.” 0 likes
“Dorothea was sand and sea, Miranda thought dizzily. She was wind and water and heat all at once, a tempest of her own making.” 0 likes