Start by marking “Ghosts of Berlin: Stories” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of Berlin: Stories

Ghosts of Berlin: Stories

Berlin's hip present comes up against the city's dark past in these seven supernatural tales by the son of the great filmmaker who "shares his father's curious and mordant wit" (The Financial Times).

In these hair-raising stories from the celebrated filmmaker and author Rudolph Herzog, millennial Berliners discover that the city is still the home of many unsettled—and
Published October 8th 2019 by Melville House

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of Berlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of Berlin

Start your review of Ghosts of Berlin: Stories
Courtney
GOODREADS DELETED MY REVIEW! Anyway, I loved this book. Historical and horror elements can do really well with each other, and Herzog does a great job creating vivid scenes and characters. Each story is exceptional, even though the typical horror tropes (e.g. period blood = death, you know the drill) had me rolling my eyes a little bit. It was also cool to be able to read about places I have seen in real life.
Mary Warnement
Last weekend, Sunday, Sept. 22, I walked through the Brooklyn BookFest and promised myself I wouldn't buy any books. Or take totes or other swag that I had no room for in my bag. I got one tote, and I bought one book. Not bad, given that many of my favorite publishers had booths. I met someone I know at the Harvard Review and someone from the NYSL recognized my BA bag. A couple others recognized the bag. At the Melville House booth, I couldn't resist looking at something with Berlin in the ...more
Bella
Nov 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I stopped halfway and chucked it in the (little free library) bin. I wanted to read ghost stories, dammit. I tried with The Last Seance: Tales of the Supernatural, but those were mostly mysteries that were solved by the end of each story. The paranormal aspects in Herzog's volume remain unexplained, but these weren't ghost stories. They were satires of present-day society with a ghost thrown in. Each story I read made some social commentary with one of the characters having a "quirk" that could ...more
Pamela Scott

First off, these aren’t ghost stories, not by a long shot. I decided to read this collection by a writer I’d never heard of before because I was expecting some supernatural, creepy ghost stories. I didn’t get that at all. There are odd events in each story but too vague to be classed as ghosts or even a supernatural event. Shoehorning ghosts into the title and blurb of thes e stories is clearly a ploy to dupe readers. The stories are just okay but I didn’t
Elizabeth Petrenko
I can’t remember the last time I read ghost stories, but this book caught my eye at the Brooklyn Book Festival. I lived in Berlin for a few years and I was truly transported to the city’s winter gloom, which is unnerving even without ghosts. The book’s mix of hipsters and longtime residents rang true. I’d recommend it to anyone with some knowledge about Berlin and it’s complicated history, who wants a quick, spooky read.
Denise
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
A collection of seven strange and unsettling tales in which inhabitants of contemporary Berlin encounter the ghostly remnants from the past. I picked this up quite by chance - kinda wish I had happened to pick it up in the original German rather than the English translation as I prefer to read in the original when possible, but the stories drew me in nevertheless.
Paddy Screech
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So gently understated, disturbing - a timely collection of stories reminding contemporary Berliners - and all of us by implication - that we forget our history, and fascism and totalitarianism in particular, at our peril. The stories are steeped in the sensibility of classic 70s horror cinema, perhaps in part thanks to the author's famous father, Werner. Totally recommend.
Susan
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This might not be a great book, but it came at the perfect time for me: a few weeks after I'd visited (and fell in love with) Berlin, and right around Halloween. The writing (or perhaps the translation) is a little clunky and pedestrian, but I enjoyed the way the stories showed how the city's dark past haunts its present.
Sonta
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ghosts of Berlin by Rudolph Herzog
Publish Date: October 2019 by Melville House

This collection of short stories is mesmerizing in its forceful collision of modern-day Berlin and the darker days of Nazi Germany. Herzog brings these two times together masterfully, weaving modern characters with specters, trolls and demons. The crimes committed still haunt the streets and buildings, and airports of the modern city. Each story has a unique focus, be it the starvation in the ghettos, Nazi
Donna
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The stories insert past horrors into the mundane lives of Berliners. The events casually almost seamlessly become known then accepted by the characters. The translation seems occasionally awkward to this reader who does not know German, but the stories linger like the unsettled past.
Lindsay
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! It is a really strong short story collection. Each weaves some current-day fear it social ill with a supernatural entity from the past. I would love to read some of them as full-length novels.
David In
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous volume. I was less satisfied with the last story, but I found the humor dark and honest. The stories are framed like documentaries. It is one of the best short story collections in a long while. I will work my way through the rest of Rudolf Herzog's books.
Darren Nelson
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I think some things get lost in translation. The story endings aren't the strongest but i enjoyed the themes
Ashley
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Cindy Cox Sherman
Oct 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned-books
I read the first 3 stories and either I am just totally missing something or these are terrible. If someone read this book and can explain what I am missing, I would love to hear from you!
Burke Burke

• Cold Storage
  • A Guide to Being Born: Stories
  • Mapping the Interior
  • My Dog Tulip
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • What You Have Heard Is True: A Memoir of Witness and Resistance
  • Birthright (Mercia Blakewood, #1)
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead