Start by marking “Beach Day” as Want to Read:
Beach Day

Beach Day

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Published March 19th 2001 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Beach Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach Day

Kathryn
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great rhymes here--simple but evocative of all the fun a day at the beach can bring. I wasn't wild about the illustrations (they seemed to lack any sort of distinctive style) but that's just me.
Christine Turner
In this charming picture book, a cheerful family tumbles out of the car and onto the beach, ready for a perfect day. Buoyant verse just right for reading aloud and bright, playful illustrations capture the singular feeling of a hazy, lazy day by the ocean, complete with a ball game with new friends, water-skiers and sailboats, and a picnic lunch of fried chicken and deviled eggs. This book is a captivating introduction to the beach for young children and an irresistible gift for beach lovers of ...more
Ms. Jeane
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am reading this book for a Beach theme storytime and it's ok, but a bit boring and a bit long for three and under. I was able to condense it by skipping pages and trying to make the flow enjoyable to read. It's not a bad book, but a bit generic.
Round Lake Area Library Youth Services Department
This is a great story about all of the fun things to do at the beach. Like water ski, play in the sand, have a picnic and playing with friends. This book is full of wonderful short rhyming text with loads of colorful pictures that kids can really enjoy. Kids will also be able to enjoy the same activities that the kids in the book did.

This is a great book geared towards toddler and preschool age children.
Mary Ann
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect summer book for preschoolers. The poetry is gentle, with wonderful rhymes and rhythms. It's short, so not too much.

My 5 year old really liked the illustrations - they are very kid-friendly, with pictures of families and friends playing at the beach. It was full of familiar activities that she could relate to.

Here are a few lines:

Water-skiers,
On their way."
Megan Dorcas
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because I remember countless times as a kid, going to the lake with my family. Those moments are always so much fun, and those memories are the ones people remember for a lifetime. Kids will love this book as well, because most of their parents have taken them on trips just like this beach day trip, so it just opens up a whole new chapter of story telling for the kids.
Yiovana
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is about a family that goes to the beach on a hot day, they enjoy every moment of it, from the water to the sand. I like this book because the pictures are clear and colorful for the children. When reading this book, it contains rhyming so the story can have a flow to it. I think children will find this book interesting and they can enjoy it for circle time as a simple relatable story.
Lauren
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and how it shows what all goes on in a day at the beach. It has wonderful rhyming words and phrases that make the book flow smoothly. The bringer pictures and colors are beautifully done and have a lot which will keep the kids attention
Emma Biays
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Beach Day shows all the fun a family can have at the beach, especially the kids. To me though, the story did not have a lot of dimension or plot. It was mildly cute, but did not have a major lesson or anything to really set it apart from another book.
Kaycee Greenwood
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This book describes a perfect beach day. From building sand castle to playing in the waves it's always a good time at the beach. This is a very simple book that would be great to read to kid ages 3-6.
Dewey
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: st-summer, st-beach
This is like a better version of "At the Beach." I like the rhyming and the descriptive language, the pictures are good, and it works for all ages.
Summer Rosswog
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for toddler storytime! (Also, check out Bob Raczka and Judy Stead's "Snowy, Blowy Winter"--a great counterpoint to "Beach Day.")
Kimberly
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Easy, beautiful rhymes about a day spent at the beach. My daughter really responded to the illustrations and had fun pointing every little detail out.
Paige M
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite of the ocean storytime books. It was rhymey and not too long, but didn't capture the kids' attention well.
Aleece
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A story about all the things that you can do at the beach in fun rhyming text with lots of colorful pictures.
Angie  Moore
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love it!
Kate
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little long for toddler storytime - I had to abridge this one. There isn't much to count or imitate. Might be better for preschoolers.
Kate