Start by marking “The Fourth Victim” as Want to Read:
The Fourth Victim

The Fourth Victim

Three parks, three deaths, four victims, two grieving families, one murder enquiry team and an unknown number of killers. Can an answer be found? Whitechapel is being gentrified, the many green spaces of the area, which typify London as a capital city, give the illusion of peace, tranquillity and clean air but are also places to find drug dealers, sexual encounters and mur ...more
200 pages
Published 2018 by The Book Guild Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth Victim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourth Victim

Whispering Stories
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

The book opens with the murder of a young girl in a park in broad daylight. She is discovered by two passerby’s lay on the grass and with a head trauma. The passerby’s call the police immediately. Time of death is only about fifteen minutes before her body was discovered.

The murder looks like an old case, but are they connected? Then more bodies are found, could they all be related? It’s up to the Murder Investigation Team to find the answers a
Kirsty ❤️
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting crime thriller set in Whitechapel, home of the Ripper however these murders are quite different. Three women killed by a blow to the back of the head and left to die in a park.

I quite liked that this book is very female heavy. I've no idea how Inspetor Merry gets anything doe, he's always chasing (and getting) women and  can't quite work out how. His description is that he looks like an undertaker & isn't the most charismatic person which doesn't seem that complimenta
Dash fan
4☆ A Pacy Crime Fiction.

The Fourth Victim is a Crime Fiction with a great police procedural weaved in.

The story opens with a young girl, found murdered, whilst out jogging.
The police feel this is an isolated case until other murder victims start to appear.
But is there a link?
Is it a serial killer?

What I liked about this book was the amount of emotion put into it, which made it feel real.
For example, just before the first victim is found, you get a glimpse into the young girls mum's mind. Her anx
Fictionophile
"The Fourth Victim" is a decent police procedural with plenty of characters, an interesting premise, and a setting befitting a novel featuring serial murders. The routine investigation procedures of the police were well described and their frustration at low policing budgets and less manpower was palpable.

The main character, Detective Inspector Matthew Merry, was quite a worthy addition to the police procedural protagonists that I have read. His sidekick, DS Julie Lukula was interesting, bright,
Jéssica
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This is the first of John Mead that I am reading and you have been following my reviews for a while you know I enjoy crime novels a lot, so of course I was intrigued about this one, especially since the blurb and the title attracted my attention.

From the plot to the characters, this novel had amazing aspects that I loved, and I will talk about some of them, because the others I can't say because their are part of the plot and that would take the fun out of it and I would be giving spoilers.

Zoé-lee O'farrell
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tf
Mr Mead, you have not let me down! After reading The Hanging Women you are my on my watchlist, and I have to snap up anything that has been written! This book has such a hook too :

THREE deaths, TWO grieving families, ONE murder investigation team, How many KILLERS?

Wow right!! Well, you would be correct. This book sucked me in from the opening pages, and what I love about this author is he is not afraid to do the unexpected. Also, being set in Whitechapel I was sold!

Like his previous book, (Chec
Tasha and Megan Mahoney
I have a real fondness for police procedural / crime novels, so when I saw this tour I leapt at the chance and I am really pleased that I did.

Well paced and with enough information to give the reader not just a curious, intense mystery, but also a more emotional element too. I appreciated the emotional aspect because often with a crime thriller, you get to see the devastated family, but not into the mind of the anxious parent that is waiting for their child to walk through the door, while fighti
Chitra Iyer
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Fourth Victim by John Mead is a crime thriller that focuses mainly on how cops solve the case, also known as a police procedural. I enjoy any kind of thriller so I asked to review this one and wasn’t disappointed at all.

These kind of books obviously tell the story from the cop’s point of view and how they progress with the help of evidences, forensics, ballistics etc. like watching a cop show on TV.

Here’s a short summary and then we get on with the review.

Summary

When the body of a young girl
Els
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very difficult book to review for me. I really liked the idea behind the storyline and I thought it was original and complex, but I do not consider it an easy read and I had to concentrate very hard. Some parts I truely enjoyed while others had me struggling. Maybe it was due to the writing style that I found difficult to get into or maybe it was because I did not really like the main characters, I honestly don't know.

Anyway I am happy that I have got to know the author and got familia
L.S.
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by John Mead, and highly original it is too.

With your everyday whodunnit (or police procedural) as his core theme, he takes the reader right into the story. With the three killings early on, it's up to the investigative team to find the killer - but, of course, it's not going to be an open and shut case.

Mead does a great job at getting to the bottom of what makes certain characters tick; his own confession to being a people watcher makes that abundantly clear. Th
Donna Maguire

I though that this was a really gripping and gritty story!

The plot is well placed and I was hooked from the start. The characters were well developed and they worked really well with the plot, I thought Julie and Matthew were great and really enjoyed their interaction.

The writing style for the story was great and I was addicted to the book. I flew through the story and couldn’t wait to see how it would all end.

4.5 stars from me for this one, rounded up to
Jessica Belmont
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Fourth Victim is a really awesome police procedural. I’m impressed with how real Whitechapel felt and how real and relatable the characters were. The case felt real as well, and I was drawn in from the beginning of the novel and it held my attention until the very end.

I liked the investigation team and the way the investigation was done. It felt realistic, and I’m really impressed with John Mead’s writing. I had trouble putting this book down and I’m looking forward to reading more by him.

If
Julie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fallible police, unlikely suspects, multiple murders; this is a book that has it all. A contemporary murder mystery with some innovative narrative strands, but with much good solid police procedure. Without ostentation, Mead manages to give a sense of place and time which linger in the mind. His characters are desperately human, with all the humour, betrayal and loyalty of real people. This is a reasonably fast paced, surprisingly complex read, which combines the traditional methods of hunting f ...more
Steph Warren
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book with thanks to the author and Rachel Gilbey at Rachel’s Random Resources blog tours. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

The Fourth Victim is a police procedural mystery with a twist.

DI Merry and DS Lukula and the team are investigating the murder of a young woman, which puts them on the trail of a bigger mystery and leads them into making some questionable (and even illegal!) decisions in the name of following a lead. We get quite a lot of ins
Breakaway Reviewers
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well-crafted whodunnit.

The plot is set in Whitechapel where a young, female jogger has been brutally murdered with a single blow to the head. It’s the job of Inspector Matthew Merry and his team to solve the case. The scene is therefore set for the reader to try to work out who the killer is before it’s revealed at the end of the book. Was this killing linked to any others in the area?

The writing is excellent and the dialogue first class. All the characters are well described and developed al
Caroline Venables
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting police procedural, the research undertaken is obvious by the author is obvious as it feels very authentic.  How the chain of command with a police force works, the handling of the case and everything written is thorough.  The story follows the murders of three girls with no apparent link to each other.  Matthew Merry is bored with his job and this could be his last case in this role, but with the help of his DS he finds out that this might be the most complex and disturbin ...more
Susan Joyce
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this, very easy to read, very realistic. Well paced, great characters and raw emotions. Would highly recommend
J. Eyles
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well done and true to life
Alison
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoy a good psychological/crime thriller and the blurb to The Fourth Victim appealed to me on a level where I could sit, relax and fathom out the answers. While the story starts well and I was able to sink into the action, grasp the characters and visualise where it was I was fairly soon slightly irritated by the authors’ need to explain so fully the nationalities of each person, while sometimes it aids the story to know if the victim is white, petite etc I didn’t think it required the big bl ...more
Rosemarie
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Realistic descriptions of police work, and depiction of area. Interestingly flawed characters. Clever idea.
But, it was obvious who was responsible from the moment they appeared, it was hard to tell whose thoughts one was reading, or who was speaking at times, it needs a bit of tidying up and tightening up. Sometimes it didn't flow well and the characters were a bit too flawed.

It's an okay police procedural but I've read better.
Alfred Nobile
Reasonable police procedural. More on the blog tour
John Henry
Nov 06, 2018
Ruth
rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2019
Aug 11, 2019
Maria Sinclair
Aug 10, 2019
John Mead
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sharing book details from Amazon Page via Twitter 1 3 Aug 14, 2018 08:39AM
Born in the mid-fifties in East London, on part of the largest council estate ever built. I was the first pupil from my local secondary modern school to attend university.

I have travelled extensively during my life from America to Tibet. I enjoy going to the theatre, reading and going to the pub. It is, perhaps, no surprise that I am an avid ‘people watcher’ and love to find out about people, thei