Start by marking “Mr. Pizza” as Want to Read:
Mr. Pizza

Mr. Pizza

Most people make at least one really harebrained decision in their life. Tony Piza is no exception.

It’s 1973, and Tony decides he needs a carefree year off after college—with pay.

To the shock of his tight-knit family and closest friends, he postpones law school and talks his way into a job teaching sixth grade at a Catholic school in Staten Island, N. Y.

A paid vacation i

Published August 3rd 2018 by L&A Publications

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Pizza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Pizza

Hobart
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
On the verge of graduating from college, Tony Piza (long "I", and yes, he's heard all the jokes), decides he's not ready to head to law school and would like to take a year off. Inspired by a suggestion from his roommate, he applies to teach at a Roman Catholic school near his home. He figures that it'll be pretty easy -- spout some facts and figures from the text-book, assign some homework, do a little grading, catch
Goth Gone Grey
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, fiction
New Italian teacher finds his heart

The trope of someone taking a teaching job because they think it's a cakewalk is a well used literary plot. Surprise and shock that it's difficult, and the kids have their own personalities and problems, don't forget the political nonsense with the administration, and oh, there are parents, too. Not such a cakewalk, before you even get into the whole subject matter knowledge, homework, and tests.

This one is set in the mid 70's, with an Italian teacher, Mr. Piz
Kent
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally write reviews, because as you will see, as a writer I make an awesome reader... but I picked this book up as a bit of a filler before starting something else I had my eye on. Boy am I pleased I did.
This is a well written engaging story with well-developed characters and plot, about a young man wanting a gap year before starting his law degree. The best way he can figure is to teach for a year, you get paid and it's not really work.
This soon changes, and the relationships he end
sharon mason
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teaching is a hard job but well worth it

I liked this book very much. The writing gleamed with abundance and the editing is excellent. Mr. Piza enters the classroom with no experience or idea how to do his job. But as time moves on he leaens and throws himself into being sensitive and aware of his 27 students as individuals. He teaches them, works on helping them think and analyze the work they're asked to do and how to take responsibility for their words and actions. Of course he gets in trouble
Jeanne Johnston
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a nice change of pace book. My family was catholic--some of them ridiculously so--and apparently that's enough to lend familiarity to the tale, despite the East coast flavor.

Tony's sabbatical from college sends him on a weird journey to teach 6th grade in a parochial school for a year, and the story is as much about what the kids teach him as vice versa. It's a meandering tale with some surprises in the end. Kind of a sweetly nostalgic and often funny exercise in friendship, respect, a
Erik Larson
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

The story of Anthony Piza’s entry into teaching at a Catholic school is both entertaining and touching. Even characters you think are there as space-fillers surprise you with their depth.
I really enjoyed it.
The characters are well developed. The conversation is engaging. The plot… is life.
I highly recommend this book.
Sherry Baer
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unplanned detour meets wonderful experience

I found this an enjoyable and uplifting book to read. The main characters were skillfully drawn and I found myself invested in their wellbeing. I would have liked a little different ending but I’m an incurable romantic.
Linda
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, well-written story about a young teacher in a Catholic elementary school in NY in the '70s. Loved the perspective and the genuine tone. Loved the characters and the writing style. Would love to read the next book!
Sandra Larson
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth reading!

Gifted and hilarious writer! This book made me laugh out loud several times, without trying too hard. It's difficult to say what I enjoyed more, the bonds of friendship, love or the humor.
Fran
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. It was well written. Funny at times. I shed a tear once or twice also. I would like a book to continue Mr. Piza's and friends lives. Good read.....couldn't wait to continue when I had to put it down.
Jean McLearen
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very goo read. Would highly recommend.
Gilberto
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a "Piza" treat

Quite enjoyable reading. A lot of fun to share and lots of remembrances flow up. Good reading.Higly recommend, you won't get dissapointed
Sam Haskel
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Loved the characters they were all Very likable and realistic. Easy and very enjoyable read- highly
Recommend. Look forward to more by this author.
noreen benjamin
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun, funny andfresh

Loved this quick read. Great characters ,entertaining story . Would read anything else by this author. Look for the next book now
Janice Crittenden
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book. Fun to read with some messages along the way. I enjoyed it. Thanks

Bob Quesal
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read. Starts a bit slowly but is a real page-turner by the end. A number of interesting subplots and plot twists.
Lori Walker