Start by marking “Riverland” as Want to Read:
Riverland

Riverland

When things go bad at home, sisters Eleanor and Mike hide in a secret place under Eleanor’s bed, telling monster stories. Often, it seems those stories and their mother’s house magic are all that keep them safe from both busybodies and their dad’s temper. But when their father breaks a family heirloom, a glass witch ball, a river suddenly appears beneath the bed, and Elean ...more
Published April 9th 2019 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Riverland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riverland

Start your review of Riverland
Rachel Hartman
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent, and it will break your heart so hard. Three tissue-box minimum, you have been warned.

This book is about real abuse, and the fantasy we sometimes need to cope with it; about the truth (which can feel more fantastical than the fantasy, almost, because it's SO HARD) being the most powerful magic of all; about siblings saving each other and finding their way out.

Also: Fran can write circles around any living thing, and her prose alone would make this worth the price of admis
Fran
Apr 21, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi, I'm Fran, the author of Riverland.

Riverland is a portal fantasy about domestic violence. In the tradition of portal fantasies, the fantastic is an adventure to help right a world that has gone somehow wrong. In another way, it is a story about two sisters gaining control over their own narrative, learning their strengths, and rescuing themselves. I'm hoping you'll get to know Mike and Eleanor, Pendra and Kalliope, Dishrag and the Heron, the dreams and the 'mares. It is the book of my heart,
Stephanie
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Dark. Dread-filled. Beautifully written. Full of terrible truths, different kinds of magic, and the real complexities of sisterly love - and a hard-won hope by the end. To be entirely (embarrassingly) honest, I found it painful to read because ever since I had kids of my own, I've gotten massively stressed by reading emotionally intense kids-in-real-peril storylines. There were parts of this book where I couldn't breathe because I was so personally stressed by my fear for these kids, a ...more
Maureen
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a hard book to follow. The fantasy part was confusing. The heart of the story was in the love that sisters Eleanor and Mike shared for each other. There is violence among the parents, but the girls find safety for themselves. They both have good friends and there are adults along the way they learn to trust.
David H.
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I hardly know where to begin with this book. On the face of it, it's just a portal fantasy where Eleanor and her little sister find their way into a land of dreams. The narrator comes from an abusive house (mostly emotional), and the author does an incredible job in making me believe not only Eleanor's feelings but also her own self-delusions when it comes to the state of her own family. Now I just want to go home and hug my kid. Truth can be hard to commit to. I'm glad Eleanor did.
Marzie
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-paper
"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." - Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy

My reaction to this book is deeply personal. From its opening passages, which I found excruciatingly familiar, I felt a kinship with the rituals of safety- the house rules, and the magic that these rules invoke for making a fragile home "peaceful." Anyone who knows what it is like to not be able to explain to a friend why they can't come to your house, especially without advance planning.
Kara
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A middle grade book that will break your heart and put it back together again. Wilde takes on the difficult subject of domestic abuse — mostly emotional, with a bit of physical abuse as well — with grace and sensitivity, wrapping it up in a portal fantasy concept. My heart broke for Eleanor and her little sister Mike as I watched them internalize the guilt and shame and rationalize away their father's behavior. Their behavior is very accurate for that age range, and I have no doubt that this boo ...more
Kate
Apr 03, 2019 added it
Shelves: sffh, read-in-2019, mg-fic
A touching story about two sisters growing up in a house where "house magic" always fixes the things that get broken in their father's rages... until it doesn't, and the girls must find their own powers. I especially liked their growing relationship with their grandmother, and the hopeful but realistic ending. A good book for readers who like stories where reality and fantasy sit side by side.
C. S.
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fiction
Like Alice in Wonderland but with actual emotional stakes.

This book tackles a lot of heavy topics, and the sense of dread that lives in the girls' house is palpable through Wilde's evocative writing. Interwoven through this and Eleanor's difficulty in navigating the relationships both within her family and without, is the magic.

I like how Wilde uses a technique where she never gives you anything at face value for free; you end up working for it, and you end up thinking about the story even when
Felicity
Lovely, subtle. The internalized blame and control are really excruciating and very true — Eleanor is complicated in ways that seem human and honest. The magic is evocative and lived-in, and I like the ways the magic and the real do and don’t interact, the ways in which assumptions about magic and its rules don’t necessarily hold true. It’s a beautifully layered book: it embodies its themes as well as exploring them.

I feel like this book is particularly thoughtful, about truth and asking for hel
Susan
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy of this book. This book deals with a difficult subject with grace and without sugar coating the reality of the struggle and challenges the main character faces. The ending pulled at my heart so much that I started reading from beginning again as I too wasn't ready to leave the secret world that Wilde had carefully crafted.
Jeremy Brett
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Riverland is a glorious addition to the fantasy ouevre of Fran Wilde, who has already given the world works of fiction -both long and short - that are singular in their beauty and depth. Her latest book, the YA novel "Riverland", is beautifully written, emotional, and fierce in its portrayal of sisterly love as a source of strength and renewal. Wilde has given her whole heart to this story, and it shows in so many ways - in the psychological strategies of children to survive and cope in an abusi ...more
Raq
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, depression, fantasy
I started reading this book right when it arrived and lost track of time and was almost late for an event. I finished it the next day...but then I had to sit with it for a bit before reviewing it.

It's intense and heartrendingly beautiful. The title and cover are not misleading - the overall impression of the book is water and wetness; in many symbologies water represents emotions, and it almost always represents life. That's true in Riverland - the family at the heart of it represses both emotio
Laurie
Jan 01, 2019 added it
Shelves: read-in-2018
A beautiful book. Creative, compassionate, heartbreaking, and eventually heart-healing. This is a vivid fantasy novel that will appeal not only to fans of magic but also to readers like me, who love character-driven realistic novels most, because the rich relationships between sisters Eleanor and Mike and their friends and family members are at the heart of the book. It’s an especially empowering read for anyone who’s ever feared they have something ugly or shameful deep inside themselves (which ...more
Stacey
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be able to read an advanced copy of Riverland. It was amazing. I am a fan of Fran Wilde's writing, and I think this is her best work yet. The characters and story are very compelling. It was one of those books that I read and read until it was done and then I was sorry I had read it so fast as I didn't want it to be over. While this book is "middle grades," I found it to have enough brilliance and emotional content that adults will enjoy it, too. It deals with hard things, ...more
A.C. Wise
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Riverland begins with sisters Mike and Eleanor hiding under Eleanor’s bed, telling stories. Their stories are a form of escape from a house where things break, where there are raised hands and raised voices, and telling anyone about family business and “bringing trouble” is the worst offense imaginable. Their stories are also a wish, and a form of magic. They are a way of understanding the world; in stories, they can safely say “one day, our real parents will come for us” and never have to direc ...more
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

Trigger warning: Mention of bad temper regarding the MCs father. Up till the point I read.

DNF

I received this E-ARC via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I was really looking forward to reading this book! Unfortunately I didn’t like it.

To put it simply I started losing interest while reading. I couldn’t wrap my head around the beginning and while I wanted to read more, I couldn’t bring myself to.

I still recommend.

R. G. Nairam
Jan 10, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: trauma
I had to return this before I could get through it, but I very much want to read it.
Kat  Hooper
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5
Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com
Alex Acks
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Gorgeous, heartbreaking, and heart-healing.
Emily
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, portal
Heads up for domestic violence but: this is one of the best books I've ever read. It cracked my heart. Or, rather, shone a light through the cracks already there.
Kelly Anne Blount
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A magical read that touches on the very real=life topic of domestic violence. While Riverland is aimed at the middle grade reader, the content is also extremely relatable and appropriate for young adult and adult readers. This book shows the real life consequences of living with abuse in the home and as the writer shares, she hopes her work will be accessible on a bookshelf for those who need it most.

The author is a skilled writer and I enjoyed the flow of the story. The plot is solid and I loo
Debbie
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Katherine Kendig
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is painful, honest reality in this book that doesn't flinch or dramatize. It's wrenching and well drawn. However, the fantasy world in the book felt stilted and artificial and was far less compelling to me than the fantasy the protagonists wove around themselves to deal with trauma.
Annette Triner
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and a much needed story.
Karen McKenna
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With strong characters, beautiful writing, and a fantasy river where dreams and nightmares are born, this book had me riveted. I loved the balance between realistic fiction as sisters Eleanor and Mike try to keep everything together and navigate life in the "real" world as well as their adventures when they jump in the river and cross into the dream world. A snake monster made of plastic trash, a heron with glass feathers, and a pony built out of dishrags are some of the enchanting characters th ...more
Andrew Hiller
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Riverland carries itself with the grace of a classic children's story touched with a modern twinkling. It is warm, engaging, scary, beautiful, intricate, and is as amorphous as glass.

More simply, it's a classic portal story told in an easily readable manner with well-drawn, likeable characters. Both the humans and the found art creatures stood out as real "people." The problem solving and the stakes are beautifully laid out, and everything in the book makes sense (even the mistakes our heroes ma
Natalie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff
This is a gorgeously written book. It’s also incredibly hard to read, due to the subject matter: emotional abuse of children and how they cope with it. It’s utterly wrenching in places and I found myself rooting for Eleanor and Mike to escape.

Note: the author is a dear friend and I read an early draft of the first few chapters. I miss the talking socks, but the book is likely better without them.
Rachel Winchester
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genre-fiction
Intense and beautiful
Susannah
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 rounded up to 3. I just couldn’t get into this one, even though I really wanted to. I applaud YA that gets readers into fantasy genre, and I hope this works for some young readers!
« previous 1 3 next »

• As the Last I May Know
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 30: Disabled People Destroy Fantasy! Special Issue
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 29: July/August 2019
  • Ten Excerpts From an Annotated Bibliography of the Cannibal Women of Ratnabar Island
  • Blood Is Another Word for Hunger
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 26: January/February 2019
  • The Light Brigade
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies Issue #270
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
Fran Wilde writes award-winning speculative fiction and fantasy. She can also tie a number of sailing knots, set gemstones, and program digital minions. She reads too much and is a friend of the Oxford comma. Her short stories appear in Asimov's, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Shimmer, Uncanny, and Tor.com.

Fran's debut novel, Updraft, was nominated for a 2015 Nebula Award, won the 2015 Andre Norton Awar

News & Interviews