Start by marking “Vastarien, Vol. 1, Issue 2” as Want to Read:
Vastarien, Vol. 1, Issue 2

Vastarien, Vol. 1, Issue 2

(Vastarien #2)

VASTARIEN is a source of critical study and creative response to the corpus of Thomas Ligotti as well as associated authors and ideas. The journal includes nonfiction, literary horror fiction, poetry, artwork and non-classifiable hybrid pieces.
Published July 29th 2018 by Grimscribe Press

To ask other readers questions about Vastarien, Vol. 1, Issue 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vastarien, Vol. 1, Issue 2

057 - "Trigger" by Julie Travis
063 - "The Master Gardener" by Nicole Vasari
083 - "Parasitic Castration" by Amelia Gorman
087 - "The November House" by Charles Wilkinson
103 - "Lacan on Lynch: Viewing Twin Peaks through a Psychoanalytic Lens" by Rob F. Martin
113 -
Phillip Smith
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great mix of fiction and nonfiction. This was my first dip into this particular horror literary journal, but it won't be my last!
Dylan Rock
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The new issue of Vastarien live up whole heartily to the pervious one despite it's shorter length. It is with out doubt the finist current journals on the darker subjects such as horror in all forms , philosophy and literature. I can't wait to see what dark pathways the good folks at Grim Scribe press guide us down in future issues
Patrick.G.P
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vastarien issue 2 not only keeps the high quality and standard of the inaugural issue but lifts it ever higher. There was not a single bad entry in the entire book, and several highly memorable pieces in here. Here are some of the truly memorable standouts for me:

Patent for an Artificial Uterus by Max D. Stanton – Told through letters to the patent office, Henry Thobb’s daring invention for an artificial uterus turns out to be so much more disturbing than I initially thought. The narrative revea
Andy
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's been exactly one year since I read the first issue of Vastarien, so it's a little hard for me to compare the two. I would say I enjoyed the first issue a bit more. In terms of negatives, I would have liked to see a bit more content, and some longer entries. This issue is significantly shorter than the first issue, almost half the length in word count. Still, the content is pretty good, and the subsequent issues have been closer to the first in terms of sheer length. I look forward to readin ...more
Sam Edwards
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Standouts include Max D. Stanton's "Artificial Uterus," Ashley Dioses' poem "The Crafter of the World," Charles Wilkinson's "The November House" and Tim Waggoner's "How to be a Horror Writer."
Tony Ciak
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great stories
David
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charles Wilkinson, Tim Waggoner, Lacanian Twin Peaks - and so many interesting talented writers who were new discoveries. The poetry continues to lack any resonance with me; horror and poetry just seem essentially noncongruent. De gustibus non est disputandem.
David
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent 2nd issue. My favorites include, “Commencement”, “the Master Gardener”, “Lacan on Lynch” and “Shirley Jackson and That Old Black Magic.”
Joe Donley
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great magazine with something for everyone who loves a good nihilistic read; be it fiction or essay. Do give it a try if you like authors such as Thomas Ligotti or Laird Barron.
Mike
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horror and about horror, very useful and captivating.
Paul
Aug 21, 2018
Tom
Dec 16, 2019
Giuseppe Balestra
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
László

• Wounds: Six Stories from the Border of Hell
  • At Fear's Altar
  • Vastarien: A Literary Journal, Vol. 2, Issue 3
  • Sefira and Other Betrayals
  • The Decadent Reader: Fiction, Fantasy, and Perversion from Fin-de-Siècle France
  • Nightwood
  • The Reddening
  • French Decadent Tales
  • The Manuscript Found in Saragossa
  • Sing Your Sadness Deep
  • Counternarratives
  • Spider-Man: Reign
  • The Drowned World
Jon Padgett is a professional—though lapsed—ventriloquist who lives in New Orleans with his spouse, their daughter, and two cats.

Padgett is the founder and longtime administrator of Thomas Ligotti Online, and has been the first publisher for a number of Ligotti’s prose works, including My Work is Not Yet Done and Crampton.

Padgett has work out or forthcoming in Pseudopod , Lovecraft eZine ,

Vastarien (6 books)
  • Vastarien: A Literary Journal (Vol. 1, Issue 1)
  • Vastarien, Vol. 1, Issue 3