Start by marking “Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide” as Want to Read:
Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide

Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  35,235 ratings  ·  3,698 reviews
Sharing never-before-heard stories ranging from their struggles with depression, eating disorders, and addiction, Karen and Georgia irreverently recount their biggest mistakes and deepest fears, reflecting on the formative life events that shaped them into two of the most followed voices in the nation.
Published May 28th 2019 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered, please sign up.
Alysha Listening to the podcasts or the audio book a second time is always great.

·  35,235 ratings  ·  3,698 reviews

Start your review of Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide
Caroline Vericker
I will always be a little bit heartbroken, I think, that I don't get to actually be best friends with Karen and Georgia
Donna Backshall
I know I'm in the minority, but Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide didn't resonate with me.

I much prefer the podcasts, with discussions of true crime and impromptu jokes and antics. Not that Karen & Georgia's how-I-got-here stories weren't interesting, it's more that they simply weren't what I wanted from this comedic duo. It seemed like they were trying to "get real", but I could have done without the feel of the written, almost bloggy, stories.

Oh well. I
Brandon Forsyth
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here’s what you do. You make a thousand signs.

You put them up on street corners and community bulletin boards. You hang them from ornate balconies and make them look like the flag of a new country. Drag them behind planes and make them circle the cities of the world like you’re announcing a new global superpower. You turn the signs into clothing like those weird toilet paper ads.

The signs read “KAREN KILGARIFF AND GEORGIA HARDSTARK HAVE WRITTEN THE GREATEST DUAL MEMOIR / COLLECTION OF
JanB
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2019-reads
I bought the hardback knowing I would want to share it with my (adult) daughter after I finished. We entertained ourselves on a 7 hour road trip last year listening to My Favorite Murder (MFM) podcast episodes. It's billed as a true crime comedy show which sounds like an oxymoron, but they make it work and are always respectful of victims.

As soon as my daughter saw the book on my coffee table it disappeared. Knowing I’d never see it again (lol), I downloaded the audio. Am I ever glad I
Deanna ✰ ☾
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, humor, non-fiction
Hate to say this but... I didn't really enjoy this book. I have listened to K&G's podcast for a couple of years now and love it, but I didn't feel like their speaking voices translated well to writing. Unfortunately, that really is how this book was written; it's very informal and sounds like something you would read on a blog, not in a book. I know that many people do enjoy that type of writing style (which is fine), but it's not my cup of tea. One other disappointing thing about the ...more
Lola
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
These two ladies are unstoppable! I really enjoyed their sometimes funny and almost always insightful thoughts on feminism, addiction, true crime, sexual assault and the different snippets of their lives that they shared with us.
Gabby
This is one of the best nonfiction books I have ever read. It was so good I kind of want to immediately reread it. I listened to the audiobook and it’s easily one of the best audiobooks I’ve ever listened to, at times I was cracking up laughing and other times I was trying not to cry and nodding my head in agreement. Here are some notes I took while reading this:

-Love that they are always saying they aren’t the experts, and you’re only the expert in your own experiences so their advice won’t
Natasha Niezgoda
SO STOKED THIS MADE THE ANNUAL CHOICE AWARDS LIST!

A MUST READ FOR ALL - 5 “I really needed to hear that” stars for Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered!

description

Words cannot describe how perfectly pertinent this book was to my present life. And if I can get real with you, it’s kinda like walking into a deeply personal therapy session. And I know the word “therapy” is weird and scary and defeating, but it shouldn’t be. I’ve gone. For 6 years in fact. And it changed my life. And this book makes you realize
Johann (jobis89)
“The epitome of ‘fucking politeness’ is learning how to act in the moment, instead of wishing you had later.”

If you’re a fan of the My Favorite Murder podcast, then there’s a good chance of you enjoying this part memoir/part self-help book. Lacking in true crime itself (which totally works!), it shines a light on the other topics and discussions that come up regularly on the show, such as mental health issues, self-care and addiction.

For each of the catchphrases or slogans that the show has
viktoria
Disclaimer: I love MFM. While you normally can't bribe me enough to leave my house to go to a simple movie, I've literally paid money to go to several live shows of the podcast, even though it meant combining three of my least favorite, anxiety inducing things, crowds, heights, and stadium seating with death seats. MFM isn't perfect, but it's more than just a podcast I enjoy—it's something my bff and I bond over, a funny way to feel less alone about some of my anxieties, and it's one of my ...more
Elizabeth
I love Karen and Georgia but this book was mediocre at best.
Livia Linhares Miller
soooo.

I have a love/hate relationship with these girls. I love their podcast and normally enjoy listening to them, I love how casual the whole thing feels and I think they’re intelligent and hilarious.

but, I must say: I hate how problematic, eye-rolling, cringeworthy and privileged some of their comments are.

with that being said, I wanted to love this book SO BAD. but did I? no, I did not. I somewhat liked it, at best.

I enjoyed some of the chapters (and shed a tear when Karen described her
Bark
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I HIGHLY recommend you listen to the audiobook version of this book because it is narrated by the writers and you'll miss a lot of the emotion in the words if you don't hear them tell it. I also suggest that you only pick it up only if you are a fan of the My Favorite Murder podcast - otherwise you might not get what it is all about and you'll probably be very disappointed and will be left scratching your head at the title. It's not a guidebook instructing you how to "Stay Sexy & Don't ...more
Elyse  Walters
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook.... read by Karen
Kilgariff, Georgia Hardstark, and Paul Giamatti.

Parts were recorded in front of a live audience. The energy from the people in the room during the ‘live’ sections were explosive... adding a contagious - “I HEAR YA” & “WOMEN ROCK”, energy.

I enjoyed these women... and their life stories about being young- scared - insecure with themselves - confused- depressed - and dealings with anxiety.

If Karen heard her parents fighting or felt the stress from their divorce
Janelle | She Reads with Cats
I was fortunate enough to receive a partial early copy from Forge. I loved every single page I read and cried at the end. It’s that good. Full review to come.
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Karen and Georgia always know exactly what I need to hear. I love them
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Quick thoughts:
For the most part this was okay but there were times I honestly just skimmed through it. Some of it was less of a How-to Guide and more like a sounding board to their success and personal achievements. Seriously, whole chapters were dedicated to them basically patting themselves on the back. Which is great, more power to them for making it in this cutthroat world, it just was not what I wanted the majority of the book to be about. I wanted more MFM talk and less about how great
Laura Thalassa
Dec 13, 2019 is currently reading it
Loving this one so far!
Victoria
One author’s essays I found entertaining, heartwarming and sometimes even inspiring. The other author, not so much.
Malia
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I know I'm in the minority of readers who didn't absolutely love this book, but it just wasn't quite what I hoped it would be. I heard great things and and was excited to read it, and though it's entertaining, it wasn't as engaging as I hoped it would be. I found the authors to be a little irritating, even as I wasn't left unaffected by their stories and what they went through. Obviously, this is a personal thing and many other readers will feel quite differently and really enjoy. If
Krista
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It doesn't matter if you fail. Your trying is what sets the tone for your whole life story. Think of everything you do as being chapters in your future autobiographical self-help book about murder. Your “career” is just another word to help you categorize your journey through life. Why not start brave and bold and believing in yourself?

I'll begin by saying that I'm not a “Murderino”, but my daughter is and we've listened to a few episodes of the My Favorite Murder podcast together; I know who
Jess | thegreeneyedreader
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher for my ARC of this book. I enjoyed it a lot. Lots of humor. Definitely recommend. Full review to come. 4/5 stars
Tucker
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
O MG! I was just listening to My Favorite Murder in my MRI. I'm so excited!
Catherine
SSDGM Cross Stitch by Papercranestitches

This dual memoir is something special.

It's refreshing, and funny, and relatable. At times it's heartbreaking. Often it's thought-provoking. Each time Karen and Georgia looked inwards, they invited their readers to do the same. It gave me some uncomfortable moments as I was reading, but ultimately it meant that I came away from this book having been a little more honest with myself, and, as a result, maybe I ended up knowing -and liking - my (deeply) flawed self just a little bit better.

SSDGM,
Katelyn
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
OK I WAS NOT READY—don’t misunderstand me; being a listener who frequently back tracks the podcast to hear Karen wake me up to my “sweet angel baby-ness” or Georgia amping me up to assert my own Riot Grrrl Courage, I was puuuuumped for this to come out (and lucky enough to snag an ARC). But less than 12 hours later, I’m ready to read it again... too soon? SSDGM!!!!!!
Christy
I've become addicted to True Crime Podcasts.... so naturally I've run across Karen and Georgia's Podcast "My Favorite Murder". It's not my favorite one, but I do enjoy how different it is from other ones out there. It's got the True Crime, but it's also mixed with a lot of humor and life stories if you like that sort of thing.

This book was different than I expected. It's mostly about their struggles growing up -- with alcohol, drugs, depression, just being a kid, etc. As the synopsis states,
Lauren Walker
Disappointed...

I was extremely excited for this book, I love Karen and Georgia not for the murders but for the banter, they have a great rapport and I was excited to see that in novel form with new information on the girls that hadn't been shared before.
They promised a look into their lives that the podcast couldn't offer and yet everything in the book was a story or lesson they'd already discussed either once or multiple times.
I felt disappointed, like I'd been lied to for cheap marketing
Cassidy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019, arc
This book is exactly what I expected it to be. I’m unsure how “Skippers” will feel because there’s a reason this is shelved as Biography and not True Crime. There is mention of murders, but the essays focus on Karen and Georgia’s childhood and struggles with mental health and addiction and how grateful they are for the community MFM has become. I enjoyed Georgia’s writing more than Karen’s, which I found surprising because I enjoy Karen more on the MFM podcast. Any MFM fan will be thrilled to ...more
Amy
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Don't put lemon juice on your face. It's not going to fade your freckles. The sun is going to burn the shit out of your face.
Erica
I actively wanted to not like these women but I can't seem to keep from wanting to be their new BFF.
Within the first six months of "My Favorite Murder" being on the air, I had at least six people recommend it to me; they were sure it would be my new delight, right up my alley, just the kind of podcast I would love which is saying a lot because I am not big on podcasts. If I wanted old-timey shows on the radio to listen to while sitting with my entire family in our living room, I would have been

• Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy: The Shocking Inside Story
  • The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Lock Every Door
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too!
  • Know My Name: A Memoir
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation
  • Three Women
  • City of Girls
Karen Kilgariff is an American writer, comedian, singer, author, actress, television producer, and podcast host. Since 2016 she has co-hosted the true crime comedy podcast My Favorite Murder along with Georgia Hardstark. In 2018 she and Hardstark co-founded the podcast network Exactly Right.

Known for her biting wit and musical prowess, Karen Kilgariff has been a staple in the comedy world for
“Politeness doesn’t require actual humanity. It’s just cultural ritual...
Politeness is fancy curtains in your front window. Kindness is the home-cooked meal on your dinner table.”
45 likes
“Fuck politeness.” Fuck the way we were socialized. Fuck the expectation that we always put other people’s needs first. And while we’re at it, fuck the patriarchy!” 38 likes