Start by marking “Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide” as Want to Read:
Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide

Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide

The highly anticipated first book by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, the voices behind the #1 hit podcast My Favorite Murder!

Sharing never-before-heard stories ranging from their struggles with depression, eating disorders, and addiction, Karen and Georgia irreverently recount their biggest mistakes and deepest fears, reflecting on the formative life events that s

Expected publication: May 28th 2019 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered

viktoria
pre-read 8/14/18: I've deeply suspected and profoundly hoped that this (no doubt) beautiful ode to true crime, anxiety, and the freedom of how to stop worrying and learning to love your weird self would happen. I was so very pleased—and proud with absolutely no foundation—to hear them announce the publication date. I will be stalking all the sites for an ARC as well as pre-ordering.

Yay murderinos!
Jenna | JennaStopReading
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I still can’t believe I managed to get my grimy little hands on a partial ARC of this book, but I am SO glad I did. I can’t wait to read the rest when it comes out in May.

As always, Karen and Georgia are authentic, hilarious, straight forward and passionate. This book reads very similarly to the way they speak in their podcast, but does a deeper dive on who they are as people and the events that made them the way they are.

I don’t cry much, but I found myself getting choked up as Karen describe
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
O MG! I was just listening to My Favorite Murder in my MRI. I'm so excited!
Krista
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It doesn't matter if you fail. Your trying is what sets the tone for your whole life story. Think of everything you do as being chapters in your future autobiographical self-help book about murder. Your “career” is just another word to help you categorize your journey through life. Why not start brave and bold and believing in yourself?

I'll begin by saying that I'm not a “Murderino”, but my daughter is and we've listened to a few episodes of the My Favorite Murder podcast together; I know who
Kate
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I cannot wait to listen to the audiobook (and buy a finished copies because they weren't many pictures).

I've always been a true crime fan, but I kept it on the down low so as not to creep people out. Finding My Favorite Murder podcast was a revelation.

In their book, Karen and Georgia open up even more about their lives and their murderino ways. It's so them and so funny and familar that it feels like Karen and Georgia's first lunch together- where you grab food with a new friend and find out yo
Katelyn
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OK I WAS NOT READY—don’t misunderstand me; being a listener who frequently back tracks the podcast to hear Karen wake me up to my “sweet angel baby-ness” or Georgia amping me up to assert my own Riot Grrrl Courage, I was puuuuumped for this to come out (and lucky enough to snag an ARC). But less than 12 hours later, I’m ready to read it again... too soon? SSDGM!!!!!!
Cassidy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, non-fiction, 2019
This book is exactly what I expected it to be. I’m unsure how “Skippers” will feel because there’s a reason this is shelved as Biography and not True Crime. There is mention of murders, but the essays focus on Karen and Georgia’s childhood and struggles with mental health and addiction and how grateful they are for the community MFM has become. I enjoyed Georgia’s writing more than Karen’s, which I found surprising because I enjoy Karen more on the MFM podcast. Any MFM fan will be thrilled to ge ...more
Fanna
Jan 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
|| True Crime stories
|| Self-advocate and value personal safety
|| Cultural & societal issues

LISTS OR POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN

8 MOST ANTICIPATED NON-FICTION BOOKS RELEASING IN 2019 || HELP YOURSELF & LEARN THROUGH THESE BOOKS

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram |
Liz Laurin
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
As someone who used to listen religiously and doesn't as much anymore I was worried about whether j would like this or not.

Real review to come tomorrow when I have time to write, but I actually loved it.
Haley Shirley
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT FOR THIS TO COME IN THE MAIL.

I've heard the spoilers and read the samples and all I can say is that I've had this book preordered since it became available and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival in the mail.
Ashley
Jan 12, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: 2019, 2019own, arc
1/12/19 -- review through fifth chapter as that what my sampler has. This book reminded me why I got into My Favorite Murder. It reminded me why I found the show so enjoyable to a point. For various reasons, that aren't important to anyone but myself, I stopped listening, and this honestly reminded me maybe it's time to go back. It did also raise parts of my anxiety due to chapters or portions I related to: mistakes I made, things I can work on, etc. It very much felt like a book written by two ...more
Woody Chichester
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Glad I got this preview ARC, and now i'm ready for the rest of the book.
Love this mix of memoir/self help. The writing is as funny and real as the podcast, and I couldn't help hearing what I as reading in Karen and Georgia's voices.
Rachael  Fryman
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Fantastic!! While I'm not as excited about the podcast as I used to be I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this duel memoir! The ladies share personal essays that relate to their memorable sayings from MRM and I'm here for it!

Six word summary: Look. Listen. They've learned, now share.

Loved: The range of the essays and the depth and attention these ladies put into this book.

Recommend for: Fans of the podcast and those looking for a funny self-help style collection of ess
Alicia
Oct 06, 2018 marked it as most-anticipated-releases-2019  ·  review of another edition
I don’t like the cover at all 😬 too many fonts, nothing pulls my focus, it’s basic and looks like graphic design 101 😬😬😬 the book title font is too thin, the color and font for the authors’ names are atrocious ... mess all around.
Katie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect going in to this five chapter sampler. I was thinking it was going to be the author's talking about their podcast experience, or maybe re-telling their favorite murder stories. Instead, what I got was a thoughtful, empowering memoir full of advice for women and tales from the author's childhoods.

I lost both my grandmother's to Alzheimer's and Karen's story about her mother's experience with the disease had me calling my mother to read passages out loud to her because
Lisa
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: ABA advanced reader copy.
I'm not familiar with their podcast and I had not idea what to expect when I started reading. When I found a copy of Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered in my box of ARCs for January, I started reading it right then and there. With a title like that, who wouldn't? I found it to be a book of extremes. Both hysterically funny and soul crushingly sad. Often both on the same page. There is a lot going on here and I think people are really going to like this book. Now, I just have to figure out how to ...more
Kate
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the podcast, so it's no surprise that I love this book, too. The stories Karen and Georgia tell are just as engrossing as the ones they tell on the podcast, and it has the same intimate 'they're talking directly to me' vibe as the podcast within the narrative. The chapter about not being thirteen forever really struck a true as hell chord with me and I reread it several times. Even though I got an ARC of this through work, I will buy the finished product when it comes out.
Cheri
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an advanced reading copy of the book and it is still not finished - however, I have to say that these ladies are like kindred spirits to me. Filled with humor and real gems of wisdom I highly recommend. Really looking forward to the final publication version — and they’ve got a new fan of their podcast in me!
Gina
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, debuts, memoir
Look. Listen. If you are a Murderino, this is a must-read. I adore Karen and Georgia and I could hear their voices while reading their words in this deeply personal dual memoir. And, of course, it is funny.
Marion
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I only got the partial ARC but oh man is this good. Georgia writing about Ray Bradbury made me tear up. I can’t wait to finish it!
Emily
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five chapters (preview) down, five chapters (May) to go. Cannot. Wait.
Blue Cypress Books
Got to read the first half of this book and all I can say is "GIVE ME MORE!" Even if readers aren't familiar with the Podcast "My Favorite Murder," this book is truly enjoyable.
Jade Geary
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I obtained an incomplete ARC copy and it was amazing! I cannot wait for the full book.
Faith
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
First five chapters only
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Technically I have only read part (partial ARC from ALA)
Sarah Grill
Feb 07, 2019
Rachel
Feb 06, 2019
  • Evil: The Science Behind Humanity's Dark Side
  • No Stone Unturned: The True Story of the World's Premier Forensic Investigators
  • Sounds Like Titanic: A Memoir
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Strange Piece of Paradise: A Return to the American West to Investigate My Attempted Murder - And Solve the Riddle of Myself
  • Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation
  • Parkland: Birth of a Movement
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • The Testaments
  • Mrs. Everything
  • Stranger Things: Worlds Turned Upside Down: The Official Behind-the-Scenes Companion
  • No Judgments: A Novel
  • Save Me from Dangerous Men (Nikki Griffin, #1)
  • Freak Show Without A Tent: Swimming with Piranhas, Getting Stoned in Fiji and Other Family Vacations
  • Lebron's Dream Team: How Five Friends Made History
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Glass Hotel
  • Dead In The Water
Known for her biting wit and musical prowess, Karen Kilgariff has been a staple in the comedy world for decades. As a performer, she has appeared on Mr. Show, The Book Group and Conan. She was the head writer for the first five years of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, then transitioned to scripted, writing for shows like Other Space, Portlandia, and Baskets. Her musical comedy album Live At The Bootleg ...more