Start by marking “In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)

In the Shadow of the Sun

(In the Shadow of the Sun #1)

It’s 1661 in Paris, and magicians thrill nobles with enchanting illusions. Exiled in France, 17-year-old Henriette of England wishes she could use her magic to gain entry at court. Instead, her plan is to hide her magical talents, and accept an arranged marriage to the French king’s younger brother.

Henriette soon realizes her fiancé prefers the company of young men to
Published February 11th 2020 by Feiwel and Friends

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of the Sun, please sign up.
E.M. Castellan Thanks for your question!
Thanks for your question!
The suggested age range from the publisher is 12-18. IN THE SHADOW OF THE SUN is quite clean in terms of the romance between the characters, with more innuendo of attraction between men/women and men/men, as befits the time and setting of the book, than anything more explicit. Of course, everyone has a different threshold, so if you are concerned about whether it is appropriate for a specific younger reader, one option would be to read it first-- or together.(less)

Start your review of In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
An utterly enchanting story of intrigue and romance that seamlessly blends magic into history. IN THE SHADOW OF THE SUN casts a spell that makes the past come alive in breathtaking new ways.

In short, I loved it!
Kat
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm one of Eve's critique partners and I can't properly put into words just how magical, romantic, epic, and beautiful this book is, because it's that and more (and has an amazing polyamorous relationship to boot!). Do yourselves a favor and add this to your TBR. I read it in a single day and it's stuck with me ever since, and now it has a gorgeous cover to match its gorgeous insides!
Jennifer Gruenke
This book is an upended bottle of glitter. Stardust raining from the sky. An obscenely expensive highlighter at Sephora. I loved the magic system and all the gorgeous imagery. Historical fantasy fans, you’re going to want to add this one to your list!
Erin Arkin
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review to come!
Leta Patton
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This! Book!

As someone who is utterly obsessed with well done historical fiction books, this one left me mesmerized. Not only was the histroical detail woven in FLAWLESSLY throughout, it was done in such a way that entranced me and really made me feel like I was there. The descriptions were wonderful, the details were impeccable, and I was left in awe.

The story itself was also wonderful to read. I loved the spin on magic and how it was formed, and thought the way everything was thought up was
Kalyn Josephson
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This debut is the perfect blend of history, magic, and court intrigue.

Mystery and magic combine to create a tense, interesting story filled with characters you'll root for to the end. I never knew quite who to trust, not just because anyone could be the killer, but because anyone could turn against Henriette at any time. Her place at court is precarious, her magic dangerous, and her friendships tenuous.

Throw in a super cool magic system, and this book is full of slow-burn tension and adventure.
ila ✨
Feb 15, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020-read
RTC!
MS Zame
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
UGGGHHHH I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS
Rachel O'Laughlin
In the Shadow of the Sun is stunning. Not only well-researched, but gorgeously crafted. Not a sentence is wasted. Not a character is forgettable. The magic system might sound familiar, but it had quite a fresh shine when channeled through the protagonist, whose first person voice is so honest and intimate that my curiosity held until I was immersed in her world full of complex relationships, frustrating physical limits, and a desperate cause. Ah, the friendships…the more than/less than ...more
Lissa Hawley
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This was an intriguing magical reimagining of Louis XIV's court.
I really enjoyed Henriette's perspective and the descriptions of the glittering court, yet it didn't fall into the trap of many historicals where they over describe every outfit and every end table.

This seems to be a standalone, which is a rarity these days and I enjoyed having a complete story.

Only quibble, there is a weird verbal tic where the author uses the word "sat" incorrectly multiple times, but this was an ARC
In 1661 Paris, magic needs three things to work: a wielder, a conduit, and a Source. Henriette has long hidden her identity as a Source and she is more determined to do so following her arranged marriage to the brother of Louis XVI, King of France because royal court Sources are dying, their magic being sucked from their bodies using an old, dark form of magic. But when a tragic accident forces Henriette to reveal her power, King Louis asks for her help: to catch a murderer and to transform ...more
Antoinette
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-giveaways
A really enjoyable, quick read. I received a ARC from a Goodreads giveaway, but this is my honest opinion. I enjoyed the characters and the plot, though I felt like the push to make this a series was a bit...contrived. It starts with a prophecy that only one piece gets fulfilled in the course of the book (I guess?That prophecy doesn't effect the story at all other than to act as a justification for writing sequels so when it tried to close the book back up by evoking it felt really jarring ...more
Amelia Crider
First of all, I loved the idea of adding magic to the story! I thought that was a great touch and pretty much the only part I enjoyed (the title and cover were great too though). Since the story was written about real people the author had to maintain some of the facts. I love history and historical novels. That being said, Neither Louie XIV or his brother Philippe were very good guys in real life. With their countless affairs, it is hard to write a convincing love story about either of them. ...more
John Clark
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Start with a very interesting point in history, mix in magic, intrigue, many real players of that time, simmer and stir carefully. What results is a most interesting story, one that takes readers back to 1661 and drops them into palace intrigue they will enter the lives and inner thoughts of English princess Henriette, Louis, the King of France, Henriette's betrothed, Louis younger brother Phillippe, ladies in waiting, and more, before dragging them through murder, magic and suspense. When ...more
Alexandria Kaplan
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Who said being a bookworm couldn’t have its rewards?”
Just finished this beautiful arc! It takes place in the time of King Louis XIV but with a bit of magic. There are magicians who have the power to use magic, and sources, who have the magic. Neither can do anything magical alone. Henrietta is bestowed to Prince Philippe, the Sun Kong’s brother, however he seemed to be more interested in males. And then there’s a dark magician out there who’s out to kill.
I really enjoyed this book, and after
Memeke89
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
After looking over my DNF books, I realize that I can get bored of a book really fast. Hmn. Well, that's the same with this book. I was listening to it as an audiobook and I don't know whether it was the narrator that turned me off (the voice just didn't fit with the main character, a little too monotone and with the wrong accent) or the plot (that just didn't hook me like I hoped it would.) I usually at least try to finish audiobooks, but I've been in such a reading funk that I didn't want to ...more
Michelle
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

This is a very hard book to describe. It's part romance, part historical fiction, part fantasy, and part mystery. There is so much packed into this story that it truthfully could've used a little less. The romance and historical fiction aspects alone would've made a phenomenal storyline.
Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀
Perfect use of an unexpected Snow Day!

Not a book I would have picked on my own, but I really liked it. I look forward to 5he next installment in the series. It was a YA Once Upon a Book Club Book. It was classified as YA Fiction, but I would beg to differ, very adult situations and topics depicted in the book.

Started February 20-Finished February 21
Andria Sedig
I really enjoyed the overall premise of this book. The characters were enjoyable, although a bit flat at times and predictable. The plot twists were not surprising to me, but fit the story well. I thought that the pacing of this book was strong. Overall, this was a solid YA fantasy read.
Erin Bledsoe.
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved Henriette’s journey, the beautiful descriptions, and the historical setting. I feel like this was honestly a breath of fresh air and I rarely find myself captivated enough to read a book in one sitting! I loved it!
Suzanne
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RTC
♠ TABI ♠
there's been a lot of French magic books coming around lately
Agnes
Pretty good. A little TOO much magic for my taste, but I did like it.
Caitlin
Feb 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
Hot diggity dog the cover is gorgeous. AND HISTORICAL MAGIC REALISM IN 17TH CENTURY FRANCE?
Cindy
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been in a bit of a reading slump and this grabbed me and pulled me out of it. A wonderful mix of historical fiction and fantasy. I can't wait for the next book!
Jessica Rubinkowski
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Henriette! She was such a fun protag to follow and I loved diving into the world of French Court intrigue!
Samantha (The Biblophage)
Jan 22, 2020
Letizia Loi
Feb 20, 2020
Carly
rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Anna K.: A Love Story
  • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Internment
  • A Song Below Water
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
EM Castellan is a writer of YA Historical Fantasy novels. She grew up in France, but she now lives in London. A lover of all things historical, she has a particular fondness for 17th Century France and Ancient Rome. Her stories on Wattpad have been featured twice and read over 350,000 times, with THE BRIGHT AND THE LOST the winner of the 2017 Wattpad Awards (Wattys) in the Newcomers category. Her ...more

In the Shadow of the Sun (2 books)
  • Untitled (In the Shadow of the Sun #2)