Start by marking “Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide” as Want to Read:
Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide

Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide

The highly anticipated first book by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, the voices behind the #1 hit podcast My Favorite Murder!

Sharing never-before-heard stories ranging from their struggles with depression, eating disorders, and addiction, Karen and Georgia irreverently recount their biggest mistakes and deepest fears, reflecting on the formative life events that s

Expected publication: May 28th 2019 by Forge Books

viktoria
pre-read 8/14/18: I've deeply suspected and profoundly hoped that this (no doubt) beautiful ode to true crime, anxiety, and the freedom of how to stop worrying and learning to love your weird self would happen. I was so very pleased—and proud with absolutely no foundation—to hear them announce the publication date. I will be stalking all the sites for an ARC as well as pre-ordering.

Yay murderinos!
Brandon Forsyth
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here’s what you do. You make a thousand signs.

You put them up on street corners and community bulletin boards. You hang them from ornate balconies and make them look like the flag of a new country. Drag them behind planes and make them circle the cities of the world like you’re announcing a new global superpower. You turn the signs into clothing like those weird toilet paper ads.

The signs read “KAREN KILGARIFF AND GEORGIA HARDSTARK HAVE WRITTEN THE GREATEST DUAL MEMOIR / COLLECTION OF HUMOUROU
Janelle • She Reads with Cats
I was fortunate enough to receive a partial early copy from Forge. I loved every single page I read and cried at the end. It’s that good. Full review to come.
Jenna | JennaStopReading
I still can’t believe I managed to get my grimy little hands on a partial ARC of this book, but I am SO glad I did. I can’t wait to read the rest when it comes out in May.

As always, Karen and Georgia are authentic, hilarious, straight forward and passionate. This book reads very similarly to the way they speak in their podcast, but does a deeper dive on who they are as people and the events that made them the way they are.

I don’t cry much, but I found myself getting choked up as Karen describe
Tucker
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
O MG! I was just listening to My Favorite Murder in my MRI. I'm so excited!
Krista
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
It doesn't matter if you fail. Your trying is what sets the tone for your whole life story. Think of everything you do as being chapters in your future autobiographical self-help book about murder. Your “career” is just another word to help you categorize your journey through life. Why not start brave and bold and believing in yourself?

I'll begin by saying that I'm not a “Murderino”, but my daughter is and we've listened to a few episodes of the My Favorite Murder podcast together; I know who
Kate
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I cannot wait to listen to the audiobook (and buy a finished copies because they weren't many pictures).

I've always been a true crime fan, but I kept it on the down low so as not to creep people out. Finding My Favorite Murder podcast was a revelation.

In their book, Karen and Georgia open up even more about their lives and their murderino ways. It's so them and so funny and familar that it feels like Karen and Georgia's first lunch together- where you grab food with a new friend and find out yo
Katelyn
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK I WAS NOT READY—don’t misunderstand me; being a listener who frequently back tracks the podcast to hear Karen wake me up to my “sweet angel baby-ness” or Georgia amping me up to assert my own Riot Grrrl Courage, I was puuuuumped for this to come out (and lucky enough to snag an ARC). But less than 12 hours later, I’m ready to read it again... too soon? SSDGM!!!!!!
Kelly
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐- uncorrected partial advance reading copy) ...more
Kate
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one gave me all the feelings. I laughed. I cried. I feel like Karen and Georgia are my best friends who are also award-winning psychologists with senses of humour of the entire cast of SCTV combined. I'm so glad they wrote this... It's the memoir/humour/self-help book of my dreams. And you really should read it. SSDGM
Georgia
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok.... I LOVED this book SO much. I laughed, I shed a tear or two and not to sound CORNY but Georgia and Karen's anecdotes came at exactly the right time. Sooooooo good. I was lucky enough to read an ARC but I'm excited to buy this when it comes out because it is definitely worthy of a re-read
Liz Laurin
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who used to listen religiously and doesn't as much anymore I was worried about whether j would like this or not.

Real review to come tomorrow when I have time to write, but I actually loved it.
Katelynn
My advanced reading copy is only a partial version of SSDGM (but it is SIGNED!!! <333), so my rating and full review will follow at a later date! But I'll be first in line to pick it up when it officially comes out.

All I can say so far is that a) I wish I could buy all my loved ones a copy, because the advice and kindness written in this book is the kind of advice and kindness I wish I could give them myself, and b) I'm so glad that these two women are as popular as they are and that so many
Cassidy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, non-fiction, 2019
This book is exactly what I expected it to be. I’m unsure how “Skippers” will feel because there’s a reason this is shelved as Biography and not True Crime. There is mention of murders, but the essays focus on Karen and Georgia’s childhood and struggles with mental health and addiction and how grateful they are for the community MFM has become. I enjoyed Georgia’s writing more than Karen’s, which I found surprising because I enjoy Karen more on the MFM podcast. Any MFM fan will be thrilled to ge ...more
Tex
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ll just start by saying that this review is of an advanced reader’s copy and not even the finished product. (Got that one ordered for its release in May).
What I wanted out of this book was to feel the anxiety, the joy, the fear, the “ga fuck yaself” of the voices I love from Karen and Georgia. Got it. It is absolutely their voices and I feel them.
There are stories in the book that have not come out in the podcast so you do get to know them more deeply. And love them more fully. It was full o
Rachael  Fryman
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Fantastic!! While I'm not as excited about the podcast as I used to be I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this duel memoir! The ladies share personal essays that relate to their memorable sayings from MRM and I'm here for it!

Six word summary: Look. Listen. They've learned, now share.

Loved: The range of the essays and the depth and attention these ladies put into this book.

Recommend for: Fans of the podcast and those looking for a funny self-help style collection of ess
Haley Shirley
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT FOR THIS TO COME IN THE MAIL.

I've heard the spoilers and read the samples and all I can say is that I've had this book preordered since it became available and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival in the mail.
Kim McGee
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Sounds like simple advice but what I found in this clever semi-memoir, semi-advice book is that it doesn't come without some risk.
These two clever podcast creators, friends, and partners in crime have survived addiction, family drama and more therapy than most people I know so they know of what they speak. The essays or chapters are irreverent, gutsy and completely unapologetic about giving it to the reader straight. I found myself relating to the chapter on always being polite no matter what th
Fanna
Jan 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
|| True Crime stories
|| Self-advocate and value personal safety
|| Cultural & societal issues

LISTS OR POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN

8 MOST ANTICIPATED NON-FICTION BOOKS RELEASING IN 2019 || HELP YOURSELF & LEARN THROUGH THESE BOOKS

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram |
Ada
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: absolute-faves
I read a copy of the unfinished ARC that was missing about five or six sections. However, even reading an unfinished copy these broads just get it. It's definitely the first self help book where I could relate on most if not all the levels. I loved it and I hope they write more. In the meantime, I'll just have to keep getting my f bomb fixes on their podcast.
Kelsey
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I'm saying I finished this, but really I only finished the partial ARC I was able to acquire at TLA. However, what I got to read was hilarious, and I'm looking forward to finishing it for real when the full book is released.
Sara
Mar 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
HAVE YOU EVER NEEDED A BOOK SO BADLY THAT YOU'VE FELT THE URGE TO SCREAM JUST THAT IN YOUR QUIET OFFICE
Alix
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come!
Ashley
Jan 12, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, 2019own, arc
1/12/19 -- review through fifth chapter as that what my sampler has. This book reminded me why I got into My Favorite Murder. It reminded me why I found the show so enjoyable to a point. For various reasons, that aren't important to anyone but myself, I stopped listening, and this honestly reminded me maybe it's time to go back. It did also raise parts of my anxiety due to chapters or portions I related to: mistakes I made, things I can work on, etc. It very much felt like a book written by two ...more
Woody Chichester
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad I got this preview ARC, and now i'm ready for the rest of the book.
Love this mix of memoir/self help. The writing is as funny and real as the podcast, and I couldn't help hearing what I as reading in Karen and Georgia's voices.
Jessica Doyle
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this one. Let me start by saying that, prior to reading this book, I had no idea who these ladies were. I only knew that everyone I work with loves them. I wasn't sure if I should pick up this book, never having listened to the My Favourite Murder podcast, but boy am I glad I did. It was flat out fantastic. Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered was hilarious, honest, whitty and, at times, surprisingly emotional. I feel like I now know Karen and Georgia on a very personal level.

So, overa
Alicia
Oct 06, 2018 marked it as most-anticipated-releases-2019  ·  review of another edition
I don’t like the cover at all 😬 too many fonts, nothing pulls my focus, it’s basic and looks like graphic design 101 😬😬😬 the book title font is too thin, the color and font for the authors’ names are atrocious ... mess all around.
Ali
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, super-want, reviewed
I have been dying for this book, since I first heard it was a possibility, and as soon as I saw (from Friday night (the first night of ALAMW- Librarians first) that it was at ALAMW19. It was my first book mission to get. I basically ran to find the Tor booths to try and convince them that I should have the book. Anyway, I was able to get the book and sadly it was only the PARTIAL (or like a long sampler) of what was to come in the full finished book. I did love what I read of this brief glimpse ...more
Carin
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Have you ever heard the phrase: "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"? Well this book is the embodiment of that aphorism. Karen and Georgia have gotten quite famous from their podcast, My Favorite Murder. But this book isn't about murders (mostly.) It's a memoir and advice book. Which also means if you're not familiar with the podcast, that's fine.

A joint memoir is unusual, and so they've structured it differently. They've picked some of their favorite
Shan
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I have this co-worker (who shall remain nameless but she knows who she is) who it seems to me is pretty obsessed with My Favourite Murder and likes to tell me stories from the podcast and I've always just pretended to listen to her with interest because true crime is not really my thing and I've always slightly worried about how much she is in to true crime. And since listening to her talk about it was never really my thing I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this book.

Turns out, I li
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Evil: The Science Behind Humanity's Dark Side
  • No Stone Unturned: The True Story of the World's Premier Forensic Investigators
  • Sounds Like Titanic
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Strange Piece of Paradise
  • Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation
  • Parkland: Birth of a Movement
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
  • Mrs. Everything
  • Stranger Things: Worlds Turned Upside Down: The Official Behind-the-Scenes Companion
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Save Me from Dangerous Men (Nikki Griffin, #1)
  • Freak Show Without A Tent: Swimming with Piranhas, Getting Stoned in Fiji and Other Family Vacations
  • Lebron's Dream Team: How Five Friends Made History
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Glass Hotel
  • Dead In The Water
Known for her biting wit and musical prowess, Karen Kilgariff has been a staple in the comedy world for decades. As a performer, she has appeared on Mr. Show, The Book Group and Conan. She was the head writer for the first five years of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, then transitioned to scripted, writing for shows like Other Space, Portlandia, and Baskets. Her musical comedy album Live At The Bootleg ...more