Start by marking “When Beauty Blooms” as Want to Read:
When Beauty Blooms

When Beauty Blooms

Revolutionary War Era England

Marjorie Kirk is a woman with no fortune, no prospects, no family, and no skills. Or so she thinks. She is awkward, shy, and the farthest thing from any semblance of a society lady.

The new minister keeps turning up in the most awkward of places and she can’t help but feel that her life is doomed to one of embarrassment. But will her flaws act
Kindle Edition
Published July 17th 2018 by Ichthus Family Publications (first published June 2018)

To ask other readers questions about When Beauty Blooms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Beauty Blooms

E.F.B.
I had the pleasure of alpha reading "When Beauty Blooms" and, having now seen it in it's finished form, it may be among my top three favorite short books.

I'm an introvert who can be uncomfortable with strangers, especially men, and even when I'm not uncomfortable, I'm still a very quiet and thoughtful person who is rarely, if ever, one to initiate contact with people I don't know and I can sometimes be awkward trying to interact with strangers, or even people I only know a little bit. In a large
Serethiel ☽ ✨
"Beauty blooms when you are true to who God created you to be."
|| Victoria Lynn, When Beauty Blooms ||

When I learned that Victoria Lynn's next release would be about a young woman in Enlightenment England who struggles with social anxiety, I knew it was something I'd want to read. As someone who battles hints of anxiety herself, Victoria's new story was I tale I just had to explore! And I was not in the least disappointed.

Marjorie Kirk feels hopeless. Neglected by her family and possessing littl
Victoria Lynn
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
FINISHED EDITING!
i think. . . .
Faith
When Beauty Blooms was such a darling little story! Short and simple, but filled with whimsy and heart. This book holds a valuable lesson for every gal who's ever felt awkward or 'less than', especially in social settings.

I felt for Marjorie as she—quite unknowingly—embarked upon her own journey toward discovering that she's beautiful and loved just as she is, how God created her to be. It was nicely done and quite relatable.

On another note, her dear friends and their humorous attempts to 'hel
Rebekah Morris
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't typically read stories where the focus is romance but since I had read other books by this author, I was sure there wouldn't be anything objectionable. I was right. This was a very sweet story taking place in England. The characters felt real, and while I can't say if the story was historically correct or not since that's not a time period I know much about, nothing really jumped out and shouted "too modern." I really appreciated the message of being yourself all the time and not trying ...more
Michaela Bush
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very relatable, sweet little story! I found myself sharing Marjorie's embarrassment as she seems to just stumble into awkward situations. It shed light on social anxiety in a very easygoing way that didn't shame her, nor did she have to magically improve in order to be accepted and loved. What a great message! The resolution to the story was a little sudden, but it worked out very well nonetheless and I officially have another favorite couple to add to my list! The writing was sweet a ...more
Hailey Rose
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet, memorable story! It's short enough to read in less than an hour and oh so worth it. Marjorie is so relatable, as are the other girls. The author succeeded in making me care so deeply about the characters in a short amount of time!!! I highly recommend this book to everyone!
Liz F.
I loved this book so much!!! :D Fabulous job, Victoria!
Marjorie was a great character and learned a lot throughout the story. And I loved the ending so much!! It turned out beautifully.
Daphne was funny and Ginger was a sweet person. I'm kinda curious as to what happened to them (also Ms. Claire) after Marjorie got married. ;)
5 stars!
Mary
I really enjoyed When Beauty Blooms by Victoria Lynn. It's so sweet and meaningful - especially the female protagonist and the message of the story. I've been looking forward to reading more by Victoria Lynn ever since the publication of her last book, so I'm really glad to have this novelette to tide me over until she publishes a new novel in one of her series.

I really identified with the main character, Marjorie, and saw myself in her, which is always a plus for me in books even if I don't nee
Chloe (aka Crystal)
Victoria Lynn does it again! When I found out the main character of this book struggled with social anxiety, I knew I just had to read it. It's one of the things that I really related to in this book, actually. I find I don't prefer huge social events that go on, and have found myself even scared of what could happen.

That's the first part that made me connect with Marjorie on a deeper level. I feel the same way as she had, that the ones who are more outgoing are the ones that seem to be more lik
Angie Thompson
This was a sweet story. I loved the way Marjorie's heart showed through her actions in spite of her awkwardness with people. The girls' different personalities and the friendship they shared felt very real and relatable. And I loved the message about true beauty not being confined to good looks and elegant manners.

I was a little confused near the end where it suddenly sounds like Marjorie has met the minister on several more occasions than the ones narrated in the story. Obviously, we can't get
Laura A. Grace
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great little story and honestly wish it was longer. Marjorie was very much a relatable character and loved her growth throughout. Plus, she was so unique considering the expectations of her time.

Not only was Marjorie very relatable, but I think her struggles are too. Though I don't have strong social anxiety, her desires and some of her insecurities had me giving small smiles because I knew all too well how she was feeling.

However, the most powerful thing was the overall message (an
Hanna
A fairly quick read, I finished it in two days. Definitely a good message, but I had some issues with how it played out.

First of all, the minister was sweet. But, he wasn't developed that well, aside from (1) he's observant and (2) he's at least somewhat knowledgeable in the wisdom of God. The main problem, though? He appeared in exactly all the right places. No, not really from Marjorie's point of view, but definitely from the romance perspective. It was extremely predictable from the very firs
Lilian
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
What a lovely and sweet story. ❤
Gracelyn Buckner
5 Stars

RTC on August 10th.
Allyson
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Beauty Blooms is a historical fiction novelette that marries both elements of the American Revolutionary War period in England, and the growing focus on mental health in today’s society. In many circles, the topic of social anxiety is still taboo today, so reading about it in a book by a Christian author gives me hope that this generation can help one another combat social anxiety by turning to God and finding their “beauty and grace” in Him.

Though When Beauty Blooms was a short and quickly
Abigail
Beauty blooms when you are true to who God created you to be.

My full blog post review: http://novelsdragonsandwardrobedoors....

Adorable, relatable, full of love, hope, and light. Victoria speaks God's truth in a profound and accessible way. Highly recommended.

4.5 stars.

**I was sent a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review**
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-books
Marjorie is kind of like me. We're both shy and kind of awkward in social situations. We do better with our few close friends. We also doubt our gifts. When I was younger, I didn't think I had any gifts, but I've sense learned that things like hospitality are gifts, so now I'm good :)

The theme or message of the book is so perfect for our world. In a culture so obsessed with outward beauty, inner beauty is ignored or devalued. Marjorie was not as physically beautiful as her friends, but she had a
Olivia Jarmusch
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most who follow me know that I don't read much fiction. I am really picky about what I read and what I consider worth my time. When Victoria gave me her sweet little Novella I thought, 'Yassss, it's short, the cover is adorable, with a fun little splash of romance and historical flare, I can totally read this!'

'When Beauty Blooms' is a darling little book ideal for a Sunday afternoon read. You'll probably want to sip tea and bake ginger cookies before you dive in, because her words carry you bac
S.G. Willoughby
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was short and sweet. I definitely related to the character even though I don't usually consider myself either an introvert or an extrovert. :)
Becca
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
[3.5 out of 5 stars]

In all the books I've read, I rarely related to a main character as well as I did to Marjorie. She is exactly like me, except I'm not as good with children, I'm slightly less awkward around adults, and I'm tall instead of short. Otherwise, I think we're the same person. Perpetually embarrasses herself in front of the wrong people? Check. Despises balls? Check (Okay, I've never actually been to a ball, but I'm certain that I'd hate a formal party spent in introducing yourself
Madison McQuary
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Victoria was kind enough to send me a copy of her book and it was such a great and enjoyable read!
I thoroughly loved the story...I feel like it encompasses all my favorite aspects and scenes from all my favorite period dramas and I couldn’t help myself from smiling every time the minister would enter the scene.
I loved Marjorie because she was such a real character, I think everyone can relate to her in some way or another but I definitely related to her in regards to her social anxiety and felt
Kaitlyn S.
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This started as a story prompt on Victoria’s blog, Ruffles and Grace, and as I started this book I was *so* happy to see that she had turned it into a story.

This story opens on three girls with very different personalities. The story follows one in particular: Marjorie Kirk. A young lady who is trying her very hardest to fit in and failing hopelessly, becoming more and more discouraged and more and more embarrassed.

There were several characters I fell in love with, the main one being the all wis
Madison Guy
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story was so sweet, and has a powerful message - especially to the quieter, more introverted girls. It teaches you that you don't have to be popular and beautiful to have value, and the good people will always notice you.

Victoria's use of language and descriptions really pulls you into the story. The main character, Marjorie, has such different relationships with all of her friends - and the minister - and her kindness and sympathy in each makes her a loveable character. Even 5 pages in, I
Raechel
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Review to come!
Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks)
When Beauty Blooms is such a sweet novella. The protagonist, Marjorie, is a kind but awkward girl struggling to find her place. As an orphan, she does not have the support or guidance of a family. She does have some well-meaning friends and an equally kind chaperone, but they cannot fill the void in Marjorie's heart. No matter how hard they all try, Marjorie simply isn't comfortable in large groups and does not have the social skills expected of her. Unfortunately, this causes her to doubt her w ...more
Alex Bowers
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
THIS WAS SO ADORABLE!!!

I don’t read much historical fiction, simply because it’s not my preferred genre. This book, though, was small in size and super sweet. I related to the MC on a VERY personal level, which was kind of startling. In a good way, of course.

Marjorie Kirk’s social anxiety was something that caused me a lot of secondhand embarrassment, because I’ve been in situations much like hers before. Her shy demeanor was also nice to delve into, since I’m the same way.

The writing though.
Olivia
Dec 04, 2018
Aria
Oct 24, 2018
Holly
May 04, 2019
Victoria Lynn is in her 20s and if she's not writing, she is probably sewing, singing, playing the piano, washing dishes, creating something with her hands, or learning something new. She has a passion for serving her Creator, encouraging others and being creative. She blogs at www.rufflesandgrace.com about writing, fashion, modesty, her walk with God and life. She lives in Michigan with her paren ...more
“God made you to be the way you are, you needn't try to be anything different than that.” 3 likes