Start by marking “Murder in Midtown (Louise Faulk #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Midtown (Louise Faulk #2)

Murder in Midtown

(Louise Faulk #2)

In 1913, while the women’s suffrage movement gains momentum in the nation’s capital, the thought of a woman joining the New York City police force is downright radical, even if recent transplant Louise Faulk has already solved a murder . . .

Louise has finally gathered the courage to take the police civil service exam, but when she returns to her secretary job at the midtow
Published March 26th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Midtown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Midtown

Betty
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This the best book I have read in the last few months. It is the second book in the Louise Faulk historical series and the first time I read this author. I will definitely read her again and will probably read the first book before too long. The writing flows smoothly and the descriptions placed right in New York City in early 1900. The characters are well developed and became friends at once. Louise Faulk has come to New York City after her Aunt asked to leave. Louise dreams of becoming a membe ...more
Jan
Start with: I Loved It!
In 1913 New York City things were different, but not people.
Louise was lucky that she skipped work that morning or she would have been the one to find the body of her boss in the fire ravaged building. Although her job no longer exists, her novelist aunt wants a typist and the other owner of the business wants her to find out who caused the fire and death. She is naturally motivated to do both, but things rapidly become very complicated. Just when things couldn't seem t
Mystica
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
1913 America and though women were beginning to have a place in society there were still strict boundaries and conventions to be followed. Many careers were completely out of bounds and Louise's decision to join the Police Force was something that did not go down well. Fortunately her own Aunt was solidly behind her but even at the Police Station the treatment meted out to her was derogatory and unkind.

Louise was a determined girl - she was very focused on what she wanted to do and how she wante
Stacy
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like the direction that this second book in the series took. Louise is contemplating a new career. When her current place of employment burns to the ground and one of the business partners found dead in the rubble, it becomes time to make a career change faster than she anticipated. I love the way that early 1920's New York is depicted and that the characters are getting a chance to develop even further. I have to keep reminding myself that Louise is only in her early 20's so doesn't ha ...more
Daniele
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
A well developed mystery, smart writing, and endearing characters make this second in the series a delightful historical cozy mystery read.
Jenny Wheeler
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
These new Louise Faulk mysteries from Liz Freeland are perfect escapist reading - a feisty heroine in Louise, who is battling her way through red tape to become one of New York's first woman police officers in pre-World-War I New York City. Love the characterisation, the setting , and the fast moving plot. Liz talks about her amazing career - she's written 50 novels under three pen names - in a recent Joys of Binge Reading podcast. https://bit.ly/2UX9L3i
Amy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another top-notch mystery from Liz Freeland! Louise Faulk is a charming, shameless, perspicacious heroine operating against the evocative backdrop of early 1900s New York City. The cast of regulars are lovely, the dialogue is honest, and the storyline snaps. Five stars!
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN#9781496714268
Author Website: elizabeth-bass(.)com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Synopsis:

Louise has finally gathered the courage to take the pol
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
As much as I want to enjoy this series, which centers around a plucky young amateur detective and novice policewoman Louise Falk, this series has an extremely problematic understanding of white privilege and gender. This book is the second in the new Louise Falk series of mysteries. Like the first book in the series, Murder in Midtown unfolds at a good clip and delightfully makes use of iconic and ordinary locations in Manhattan, such as Delancey Street and the Woolworth Building.

Bur back to its
Melanie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Murder in Midtown is set in New York in 1913 and is the 2nd book in a mystery series featuring Louise Falk. Louise Falk is a highly independent and resourceful young woman who aspires to become a member of the New York Police Department. Her character is very well developed and extremely believable. She comes across as a very open minded, gregarious character who holds her family and friends close, her secrets even closer and her enemies had better watch out.
The morning after writing her exam f
Susan
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Somehow I missed seeing the first book in this wonderful historical mystery series and now, having enjoyed this one so much, I can't wait to get my hands on the first one. It's 1913 New York and Louise Faulk is working for a publisher. What she really wants to do with her life is to become a police detective. Having decided that life course, she takes and passes the civil service test to become a police woman. When she finds herself assigned to be a matron at the city jail, she is not thrilled. ...more
Pamela
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in this cozy historical mystery series and is set in 1913 New York. It features Louise Faulk, an aspiring police woman, who as this book opens, has only just taken the police civil service examination.

When she goes to her place of work after the examination, which she is sure she has failed, she finds the building housing her employer, Van Hooten & McChesney publishing company, destroyed by an early morning fire – and Mr. Van Hooten dead. While Van Hooten was not the
Nikita Jhanglani
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in Midtown is a tightly woven mystery set around the investigation of a fire that brings down the building of the publishing house Louise Faulk, killing one of her bosses, Guy Van Hooten. Louise believes, due to past experience, that she can investigate the incident and bring justice to the people Guy has left behind.
What follows is a journey that is intriguing, with subtle tones of humor. That is, in fact, one of the things I liked the most about the book, the writing. The humor, especia
Kathleen Gray
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who killed Guy Van Hooten and then set his building on fire? It certainly wasn't Louise's aunt, of that she's sure. Louise is a terrific young woman. It's 1913 New York and she wants nothing more than to be a police officer. She's just passed the Civil Service test but finds herself assigned to the night shift at the jail. Not what she really wants but she's got a mystery to solve anyway. Her love interest of sorts, Detective Frank Muldoon isn't happy that she's investigating but regular cozy re ...more
Danielle
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
"During all my months of preparation for this moment, I'd assumed I was exceptional. An original. Yet the sound of a hundred pencils scritching against paper filled the hall, and all those pencils were pushed by the hands of women with the same dream."

I started this book not realizing it was the second in a series but enjoyed it so much, I'm going back to read the first one! Set in 1913 New York City, Louise Faulk (who assisted in solving a murder in book 1) takes the police civil service exam,
Nicola Short
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Louise Faulk is the main character, it is 1913 in New York City and she is an aspiring police woman. The book follows Louise as she hopes to become a detective in the police department. Along with becoming involved in a fire that included a mysterious murder, Louise starts a relationship with a detective, Detective Muldoon. It will be interesting to see their relationship grow.
A cozy historical mystery is what you will get when reading “Murder in Midtown.” It is the second book in a series but
Susan
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
October 1913 and Louise Faulk has just sat the civil examination to become a Police Constable. Only to discover that her place of employment, publishers Van Hooten and McChesney, has gone up in flames. While friend Detective Frank Muldroon officially investigates the fire and the killer of the body discovered inside, Louise is employed to do her own investigation.
Easily read as a standalone story this was an enjoyable well-written cosy mystery with a varied cast of mainly likeable characters, ob
Liz
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an enjoyable mystery set in New York the early 1900's with an interesting young woman striving to make it as a detective in the police department. She's resourceful, warm and clever. There is the hint of a slowly developing romance with a gruff policeman that may develop into something more in a later book. It was an easy and fast read that has me looking forward to the next in this series.
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
nikkia neil
I was given a ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review.

Love this mystery series because the story expands and moves along with each book at a quick pace. Louise has to dig deep to keep going after all the terrible events in this book but I know she's going to surprise us again. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Sharon Brewer
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is great! So much fun to read about a woman that wants to be a police officer when it was such a new thing. Also, the clothes she had to wear. The mystery is also great and kept me guessing to the end. I can't wait to read the next book in this series!
Carol Perreault
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fromnetgalley
Very entertaining continuing story of Louise who is now a police matron, but also investigating the fire and death at her former publisher.
Kathy
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I’m enjoying this new series. The characters are interesting and the mysteries believable. Thank you to the author for the giveaway copy, my first “win”!
Kathy Stasa
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This was a fun and entertaining book. A historical mystery, with twists and turns and a bit of romance thrown in. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Jen LaRowe
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Murder in Midtown follows Loiuse Faulk as she is determined to find the culprit who burned down the book publishing company she worked for. Throughout all of her investment, she is also trying to become a police woman during a time when women who had aspirations above being a secretary or homemaker would have been looked down upon. This is the second book in the Louise Faulk series, but it is not necessary to have read the first book. This book has made me a Louise Faulk fan and I will be readin ...more
Anni Muir
Mar 28, 2019
Kris
Apr 18, 2019
Ellen
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a good historical fiction mystery series. The time period doesn’t matter if it contains strong characters with accurate depictions of that time. When I read the first book in the Louise Falk series, Murder in Greenwich Village, I knew it was a match for me. And after recently finishing Murder in Midtown my thoughts about this were reinforced.

It was such fun to catch up with Louise, her friends/family, and Detective Muldoon. In this outing we find Louise determined to become a NYC Police O
Jane Feuer
Apr 05, 2019
Dina Coutu
Jan 22, 2019
Anna Piranha
Apr 03, 2019
  • Lethally Green (Maggie Flanagan Mystery #1)
  • The Whispers of Nemesis (The Greek Detective, #5)
  • The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)
  • A Load Of Old Bones (Reverend Oughterard Mystery #1)
  • Death of an Airman
  • Murder at the Altar (Ellie Quicke, #1)
  • Killer on a Hot Tin Roof (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham / Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage
  • Miss Dimple Picks a Peck of Trouble (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #4)
  • The Christmas Carol Murders
  • Dyed In The Green
  • Murder for Bid
  • Murder on the Moor (Rex Graves Mystery, #4)
  • Dead to Writes
  • Murder Off the Books (Sullivan Investigations Mystery, #1)
  • Murder at the Margin (Henry Spearman #1)
  • Double Forté (LeGarde Mysteries, #1)
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse

Louise Faulk (2 books)
  • Murder in Greenwich Village (Louise Faulk #1)