Start by marking “Battle Scars: A Story of War and All That Follows” as Want to Read:
Battle Scars: A Story of War and All That Follows

Battle Scars: A Story of War and All That Follows

This is a true story. The events depicted took place during the last decade in an unnamed warzone. The names and locations have been redacted to protect the security of those involved and the practices of the British Special Forces. Out of respect for the KIA and survivors, everything else has been told as it happened…

Jason Fox served with the SBS for over a decade, thrivi
Published November 2018 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Battle Scars, please sign up.
Leigh Williams Read either one they are both really good books, I’m gonna start reading breaking point by Ollie ollerton next

Katia M. Davis
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a powerful book. It delves deeply into the author's military career and the emotions of his struggle with PTSD and his road to recovery. It is very raw, no punches are pulled. It's rare to find something discussed so openly, and for this, it is a wonderful accounting. I teared up several times and would recommend this book to anyone. I've never seen any of the TV shows Jason Fox has been involved in so I had no preconceived notions about him before I started reading. I felt the honesty ...more
Carl Upshon
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable read. Not so much the usual bravado war stories but the humble battle against depression, PTSD and chronic burnout.
Patrick White
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book. Although Jason Fox did not physically write the book the style of the prose captures his voice brilliantly — I presume the book was derived from recorded conversations and this is how the ghost-writer was able to achieve this. There is an interesting tension between Foxy and the therapist whom he credits for playing a major role in his recovery. Her style of therapy seemed to be to offer an attitude of total forgiveness, and this seemed key in Foxy coming to terms with his t ...more
magdalena dyjas
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't like audiobooks. But I really like Foxy, and I found his story about his road to recovery following PTSD to be both interesting and important. It's a shame I was listening to it rather than reading it myself (even though I liked the fact that he was the one reading it to me ;)).
Laura Turner
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All my reviews can be found on my blog: https://pageturnersnook.wordpress.com

Let me set the scene. It is a Sunday evening and I am sitting with my cup of tea, ready and waiting for SAS: Who Dares Wins to start on Channel 4. I absolutely love this show. It is my one ‘go to’ television programme that I will not miss for anything … ANYTHING! The grit and determination is just phenomenal and it gives me a good bite to sit and think ‘I could do that!’ even though in reality I know I never could, I am
Martin
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good read. Sad times in parts. A brave man to say the least in combat and at home. Fought many personal wars both mind and body.
Michelle Keill
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Powerful, brave, and very moving.
Simone
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up the book about a month ago and didn’t read it until yesterday and since then I couldn’t put the book down. A real page turner. The autobiography is of a man who had to deal with the wounds from battles as a Special Forces Soldier. A very inspiring and humbling account of his mental anguish and the difficulties of trying to get the right support from services. Today, services are so stretched they expect you to fit into their systems and individuals are all different in the way they r ...more
Josh Furze
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely incredible, such an amazing account of his life and how he came through his troubles! Action right from the start with the serious undertone throughout! A must read!!
Rachel R
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick read, interesting book. Good to see mental health highlighted by someone who has lived in such an alpha Male world. Also interesting to hear his take on cbt and emdr. Glad he found such an effective therapist eventually, it can make the difference between life and death. Unfortunately it’s also very expensive, hence statutory services reliance on cheaper blunter tools. Cbt and emdr are both useful in the right context, but we really need to drop the ‘one size fits all’ approach. People, es ...more
Nicole
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I found Jason Fox's biography very different from his fellow SASWhoDaresWins author Ant Middleton.
I understood he was diagnosed with PTSD but the chaotic flashbacks of his time in war as he tries to fit in to a normal life whilst on leave was difficult to filter, not read, but trying to understand why there was never any therapy after ops apart from ticking boxes is a horrible thing to discover about our forces aftercare.
It was an enlightening read about the strains & stresses both on famil
John
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Facinating book

This is a great book and gives an insight into the hidden damage some of our service personnel have to endure on our behalf.
I only hope they know how grateful we all our and what respect we have for them regardless of role or cap badge.
I recommend this to everyone. Mental health can effect all of us in any walk of life. The more we understand the better we can deal with it.
Thank you Mr Fox for your honesty. Good luck.
Andrew Allison
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have nothing but respect for Jason, James and the countless military and serving personnel who have gone though, PTSD, depression and a whole host of mental health and physical issues.

This brutally honest book has helped me be less angry with myself for struggling at times. It highlights how easy it is to fall into the abyss but also shows there is light at the end of the tunnel.

There are a few people I wish I could have given this book to before it was too late but I'm sure the countless peop
Rus Watts
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don't expect to hear heroic tales of his missions while he served, however, a fantastic book showing how mental issues can affect your life, and the long hard road to recovery.

Shows how in this modern day and age even with mental health being more in the spotlight, it can still be hard to admit you may need help, accept the "labels" you may get and why you should get help or advice.

I did find it hard reading at times but you soon realise The author has written it holding back no punches and with
Melissa
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a deeply personal and powerful book. We desperately need more brave authors and spokemen like Jason Fox who are not afraid to be open about mental health, PTSD and suicidal thoughts. These stories are playing a big part in breaking down the stigmas and taboos surrounding mental health, helping people see that opening up and getting help is a strength, not a weakness, which saves lives. This book was also a fascinating insight into the SAS and military life.
Rob Thompson
One man's inspiring struggle with PTSD

Jason Fox joined the Royal Marine Commandos at sixteen, serving for ten years. After which he passed the gruelling selection process for the Special Forces. He went on to serve with the Special Boat Service for over a decade, reaching the rank of Sergeant. With his background, you be forgiven for thinking the book is just full of exciting alpha-male adventures. And while there is some of this, Battle Scars isn't simply about his fights on the battlefield. It
Michael
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stewart Cotterill
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Greenockian
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Me me me me me me me! Wow, what a self-centred *****. Okay, there is a decent book in here somewhere and, perhaps, a decent editor would have helped bring it about. But this is repetitive and quite boring in parts. I have no idea what I learned from it apart from the trite "it's good to talk and men should do more of it". Fox repeatedly states his love for his children but never illustrates it: a bit too much like parents who are so inept they have their kids taken into care - yes, they may love ...more
Cee Tee
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been an avid watcher of 'SAS - Who Dares Wins' since the very first episode, so I was very interested to read this book.
It was a rather slow start, I'd say, with quite a bit of repetition it seemed. But when I accepted the book focused more on the 'All That Follows' part of the title rather than the ''Story of War' aspect, I became totally engrossed.
What these guys (and now women) do in the Elite Forces is just incredible. What they do for our country is incredible. And how they are / were
Isabella Ruffell
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Battle Scars in incredible account of Special Forces soldiering. Jason Fox served for over a decade and this book describes his career as an elite soldier, from gunfights, hostage rescues, escapes and heroic rescues to a battle of a very different kind, his struggle with PTSD which ultimately caused him to lead the military and build a new life for himself.

Having seen Jason around my gym for the last year or so I thought it was about time I gave his book a read. Having little to no knowledge of
Janice
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jason gives a very honest account of his experiences on grappling with PTSD and it’s insightful to learn about the level of expectation military personnel put on themselves to cope without stumbling. In such an intense environment, is it any wonder people come up against PTSD, and yet struggle so hard to talk about it in an environment where it is so likely to happen?

This book is a lot more focused on the personal consequences of being a soldier rather than an external account of battles and wa
gillallinson
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fab but unexpected read

Such a good honest read. It lets us know that mental health problems arise in all walks of life,even the rough tough military. I found this such a thought provoking book and not at all what I expected. Read in 2 sessions,couldn’t put it down. Shows there is life at the end of a tunnel with help and talking I think anyone would find this book interesting. Those who enjoy who dares wins and didn’t expect the personal background. Maybe those suffering mental health problems
Chris
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read. An honest, authentic account of Foxy’s study and his battle to recovery from PTSD. It’s powerful, harrowing, heart-warning, sad, but completely congruent and written from the heart. This story should help other people to understand that talking about mental health is important, and it also makes us realise that we probably aren’t doing enough to support ex-military staff who can struggle to readjust to civilian life because if the world they lived in. This was a story that had to b ...more
Stacey Wendy  Hammond
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jason Fox you're an inspiration to many of there who feel they're losing the PTSD battle. I myself am an army veterans partner & have relived his battles with him for the past few years. This book ( which I couldn't put down) I feel will help many going through the same issues & be able to look at them from a different perspective. Waiting for my partner to read this, hoping it may help him find himself & put us on the right track to recovery.
Vincent K Martinez
This is a awesome read and an eye opener to the issues of PTSD and mental health showing that even the strongest of men can suffer from and there is always light in the darkness and a way out, very inspirational.

Once I picked this book up I could not put it down. Highly recommend it. There are even moments where you stop and evaluate yourself and your life. I will be reading it again.
clanger3920
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Battle scars to the healing procezz

An interesting account of the journey taken pos t diagnosis of PTSD a nd clearly ok we'd the struggle accepting t g e d Iain I s is which is key progression. The recovery road is rocky and as,Jason has,shown the recovery plan is not one size fits all.
It's I interesting to read yet another story of addressing PTSD when we seem to be losing so many to suicide which further shows how complexes the diagnosis and management remains.

Dave Phillips
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not your average autobiography - it took a bit of getting into, as it doesn’t conform to the standard chronology of an autobiography. It cuts back and forth between time periods. In doing so it supports the juxtaposition that Jadon Fox utilised in therapy and helps frame his personal discovery and acceptance of mental health.
It’s a frank and inspiring read that I’d recommend to anyone, but especially those that might feel a bit unsure of their own mental health
Sophia
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and very real

I enjoyed reading this book. Mr Fox is much stronger than he thinks and it saddens me to see that once diagnosed he did not receive the right type of help. PTSD is a debilitating condition that affects many people and it can be very difficult to treat. This story telling took courage and I commend the author. This book spoke to my heart.
john lennon
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing grit.

Honest and truthful , different from regular special forces books . Foxy gives it a human touch . Yes , it's fast action and interesting life journey . How he overcame the ups and downs of everyday struggles . Get the book its a great read . Best of luck foxy in whatever you do .
« previous 1 3 next »

• Redeemable: A Memoir of Darkness and Hope
  • Thinking Out Loud: Love, Grief and Being Mum and Dad
  • Finding Lost: The Unofficial Guide
  • First Man In: Leading from the Front
  • Defending The Guilty: Truth And Lies In The Criminal Courtroom
  • No Hunger In Paradise: The Players. The Journey. The Dream
  • Myths About Suicide
  • The Lost Photographs of Captain Scott: Unseen Images from the Legendary Antarctic Expedition
  • Peoplemaking
  • Fighting for Queen and Country: One Man's True Story of Blood and Violence in the Paras and the SAS
  • Giving the Finger: Risking It All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea
  • The Sublime Engine: A Biography of the Human Heart
  • The Making of Jurassic Park
  • Still bleeding
  • WARWICK - The Man Behind The Wars of the Roses
  • Extremes: Life, Death and the Limits of the Human Body
  • Death in Ten Minutes: Kitty Marion: Activist. Arsonist. Suffragette.
  • Killing Hitler: The Plots, The Assassins, and the Dictator Who Cheated Death