Start by marking “Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)

Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy #3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  5,580 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Heaven's Reach is the final volume of the New Uplift trilogy, which begins in Brightness Reef and continues in Infinity's Shore. It chronicles the adventures of a handful of primitives from the planet Jijo who have left or been taken from their homes only to be swept into the intrigues of galactic politics. The novel also continues the story of the fugitive Earth starship ...more
Published June 1st 1998 by Spectra Books

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Reach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Reach

Ben Babcock
Kaysea
Sep 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading all 6 novels and the follow-up story from Brins Uplift universe "temptation" (All in a row!), I've come to the conclusion that Brin is not that great of a SF author as some people claim he is.

The only thing that kept me reading his Uplift books was his creation of this fantastic universe. His notion of clans, uplifting species and the terran ("wolfling")clan surrounded by hostility had so much potential to begin with ... but alas, it was never meant to be.

((WARNING some SPOILERS))
Terence
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Peter
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
I consider David Brin one of the three best genre writers among those who started writing after 1970 (the other two are Lawrence Watt-Evans and Steven Brust; Barry Longyear might be on that list except I think he started writing before 1970, and I haven't seen anything new from him in quite a while. Barry Hughart would be on that list if he hadn't had to give up writing due to his idiotic publishers).

I'm a huge fan of a lot of his work. His original Uplift trilogy is a favorite of mine. But I wa
Onefinemess
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
THERE'S MORE TO SEE HERE.

That's pretty much the takeaway from this. Brin "owes" us one more Uplift book or trilogy... right? I mean, he never got back to the half of the cast he left behind in Startide Rising. Maybe that's just how he rolls but still.

HARSH.

STILL.

That closing paragraph. Grrr.

I built this one up a bit too much internally, I think. It couldn't live up to what I what I wanted. That or it wasn't quite as good as it should have been. A little of both, most likely. Most series finales
Ben
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
prcardi
Storyline: 2/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing Style: 2/5
World: 3/5

In the author's afterward at the end of Heaven's Reach, Brin shares that "the Uplift Universe gives me a chance to experiment with all sorts of notions about starfaring civilization. And since it is unapologetic space opera, those notions can be stacked together and piled high!" (Exclamation in the original.). No, David Brin. Not at all. Stacking is the beginner's way of of constructing. Experts build. They integrate components, tie to fou
Olethros
-Aunque al final tengamos algunas respuestas, es más de lo mismo.-

Género. Ciencia ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. El neochimpance Harry Harms patrulla el Espacio E mientras, en Jijo, los pasajeros de la Streaker, de distintas especies que por diferentes razones terminaron en el planeta, esperan poder afrontar que las Cinco Galaxias les hayan encontrado y que los Jophur les persigan con algún rehén del grupo en sus manos. Dentro de la serie La Elevación de los Pupilos, sexto libro de la serie ambienta
Dark-Draco
The six book series finally comes to an end. The Streaker has made a desperate bid to escape Jijo, drawing the Jophur ship away from the hidden world, hoping to destroy it and themselves in the new transfer point opening in space, taking Sara of Jijo with them. However, ships already there give them another chance to flee and attempt once more to get their information out to the galaxies. Trapped aboard the Jophur ship, Lark finds unlikely allies, while Dwer has to use his hunters skills in the ...more
Martin
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole second "uplift" series by Brin, and especially this book, showcases both the inspiration and disappointment of sci fi. The imagination here is staggering -- he's actually created a whole Galactic sociology that kind of makes sense, a technically realistic way the universe could be full of life that all talks and interacts. I've read this book time and again for its scope -- hydrogen breathers, "transcendent" beings diving into black holes, etc.

But the way it's written is a big disappoi
David Bonesteel
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Brin picks up the strands of his story and follows his characters off the surface of the planet Jijo and into the cosmos. The crew of the Streaker, pursued relentlessly by a powerful Jophur dreadnought, searches for someone that can be trusted with the terrible secret they have uncovered. This desperate adventure coincides with the prophesied Time of Changes, a suitably cataclysmic event that answers most of the questions raised in the series and leaves a pleasant sense of ambiguity surrou ...more
David B
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elar
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Brilliant book that wraps up many loose ends (also from Uplift Saga Startide Rising) and shows us the greater goal toward which many unrelated adventures have weaved through trilogy. Saga's ending is not something totally new, but it is unexpected.

Through both trilogies author introduces many brilliant alien races, planet and space adventures, so that you want to keep on reading to see what happens next. It is good to see that humans are not demonized for gene manipulation and they are at least
Jason
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6th and (so far) final book of Brin’s Uplift series. An intricately woven epic, a tremendous finale that heaps wonder upon wonder, crescendoing to staggering heights. A vibrant panorama of likable characters and alien races, hyper-aliens, meta-aliens, godlike-intelligences, sublime scopes, ancient cosmic mysteries, space battles and narrow escapes! Mind-expanding rip-roaring unapologetic space opera at its absolute very best!
Joe
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Sci-fi
Shelves: science-fiction
This is part of a grand trilogy that started with the Uplift War, Startide Rising and Sundiver, and while they share the same universe, they aren't required reaqding.
This Trilogy about the world Jijo on the otherhand are all tied together and they weave a grand tapestry together about all of the loose ends from the previous three novels.
In the end Brin makes his case for greatness and leaves you wanting more...
Michael Evans
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in this 6 book story is epic. Like most long space epics, the plot and ramifications grow and grow. The expectation for the eventual resolution grows in parallel. Usually this all deflates with a whimper instead of a good resolution. Heaven's reach does a great job of bringing the main plot to a truly epic conclusion with implications not just for one galaxy but for lots of them. Great book.
Justin
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audio
David Brin delivers in this last novel of the Uplift Storm Trilogy. The hard science of Brin's world is much more in affect in this novel than in the previous two, and we're introduced to a few new characters. But it picks up exactly where Infinity's Shore dropped off. Though each subplot is tied off nicely, we never spend any time on Jijo, which was my favorite part of the novels. That's the main reason behind my 4-star rating, that little bit of disappointment.
Jon
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brin throws in a zoo of alien civilizations, many as the initial narrators. I was fascinated by the questions of environmental ethics throughout the series and they really take front stage in the second trilogy. In total, a top-notch work of modern sci-fi: if the Grand Masters were about physics (rocketships and space), Uplift is about biology and ecology, with smatterings of quantum, probability, and psychology.
Andreea Pausan
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is amazing when you finish a series and it expands your universe so you have more questions than when you began reading.Brin offers us a lesson in being a galactic citizen, away from our self-centered belief that we are alone in the universe. It's about understanding and tolerance, but also resilience and hope.
Ken
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite many passages of repetitive information (likely inserted to help readers keep the myriad threads straight), this was an excellent conclusion to the Uplift series. Not all ends are tied, and that makes me happy. It's not the hollywood conclusion, and it's not without character losses. There is always a cost. Well done, Brin.
Gordon
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fiction
One of the pinnacles of modern hard sci-fi. Numerous alien races are given detailed treatments, and the science never overshadows the character (even if said character is a gelatinous stack of ring tori). This is what I love about science fiction, you create a world of such incredible detail, only so it can serve as the backdrop for an epic story.
Amy
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Conclusion to the Uplift trilogy. The ending (spoiler) always struck me as sad and bittersweet. The Streaker makes it home, but part of their crew, who escaped the events in Startide Rising in a separate ship, is still out there, lost in the Wilderness of the Galaxies. I hope Brin takes up that part of the story and concludes it.
Tomgroff
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has an amazing breadth and yet it still manages to tie up most of the loose ends of the trilogy.

I enjoyed the discussion and interplay of the various orders of life forms - oxygen, hydrogen, mechanical, memetic, retired, and transcendent...

A very satisfying conclusion to a great trilogy.
Martin L. Cahn
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent ending to a challenging series. Leaves things open for more stories if Brin ever wanted to revisit all these years later. The concepts are mind-blowing while still grounding much of the story in characterization even when -- or, perhaps, especially -- dealing with interspecies relations. Enjoyed the ride!
Craig
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ending, not a conclusion - we don't get all the answers in the end, but really, isn't that life? I found it to be a fitting and satisfying end to this story arc, but I hope that Mr. Brin ends up writing more in this universe in the future - I still do want those answers.....
Martyn F
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Do we need Harry? Do we need E-Space and allaphorics? No, alas we don't. David Brin started out this series with some interesting characters in a very interesting universe. But somehow the universe took a life of its own and the characters almost disappeared. A real pity!
Adam Whitehead
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three years ago, the human and dolphin crewmembers of the scout vessel Streaker stumbled across a fleet of derelict starships. The revelation of that discovery plunged the Five Galaxies into chaos, as vast galactic armadas mobilised to intercept Streaker and, when that failed, to lay siege to Earth itself, intending to hold it hostage for the secrets that Streaker discovered. Streaker fled to a remote corner of a fallow galaxy, lying low on Jijo where refugee species had built a new society in p ...more
Liutauras Elkimavičius
Parašai žiedų valdovą... Pačepsi patenkintas, nusausini sugertuku tik ką parašytą "the end" ir tada sėdi vėl. Parašai dar harį poterį ir pinokį, ir sudedi viską į tą pačią knygą... Per. Daug. Perdaug net tokiam space opera korifėjui. Galėjo gautis trys axieriennos knygos, o gavosi viena... eee... gera. Ir taip praktiškai beveik visose paskutinėse trijose, sikstologijos knygose. Per tiršta. Per daug. Per daug skirtingų pasaulių. Per daug skirtingų gyvybių. Per daug atskirų ir nepriklausomų sistem ...more
Bill
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love how this trilogy just keeps getting furrier and furrier.

Heaven's Reach introduces talking Chimps to the storyline with Harry Harm and the introduction of E-Space where memes are alive. There are a lot of loose ends drawn together and enough left unsaid to fit a whole fourth book, but luckily, restraint rules the day.

My only regret is that I don't get to hear or see Mudfoot surrender and spill the beans. It all happens off stage.

Considering the Cosmic Scope, that's a very small gripe.
Eulercauchy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So that was David Brin's magnum opus. It has a beautiful symmetry. It was a little inconsistent with the start of the uplift storm trilogy, but once it settled back into the swing of things it was pretty wonderful. I will miss reading this book.
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth, #1)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • A Phule and His Money (Phule's Company, #3)
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)
  • The Legacy of Heorot (Heorot #1)
  • Conqueror (The General, #3-5)
  • The Kif Strike Back (Chanur, #3)
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • The Reality Dysfunction 1: Emergence (Night's Dawn 1)
  • Transvergence (Heritage Universe 3-4)
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends
More about David Brin...

Uplift Storm Trilogy (3 books)
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
  • Infinity's Shore (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #2)