Start by marking “Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)” as Want to Read:
Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)

Redemption

(Amos Decker #5)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  30,440 ratings  ·  2,228 reviews
Detective Amos Decker discovers that a mistake he made as a rookie detective may have led to deadly consequences in the latest Memory Man thriller in David Baldacci's #1 New York Times bestselling series.

Amos Decker and his FBI partner Alex Jamison are visiting his hometown of Burlington, Ohio, when he's approached by an unfamiliar man. But he instantly recognizes the man'
Published April 16th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Redemption, please sign up.
Lois I personally think not; he left the groundwork for return to his hometown and interaction with his former partner and there was a loose end, so I am g…moreI personally think not; he left the groundwork for return to his hometown and interaction with his former partner and there was a loose end, so I am guessing there may be a sequel.(less)
Sarah J Hoadley I agree with Ms Linda. Reading the books in order would be preferred. Each book draws back upon the previous book(s). Excellent series though. I would…moreI agree with Ms Linda. Reading the books in order would be preferred. Each book draws back upon the previous book(s). Excellent series though. I would start back at the beginning and come up the series.(less)

·  30,440 ratings  ·  2,228 reviews

Start your review of Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
Paromjit
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
David Baldacci's 5th in the Amos Decker series is a brilliant and compulsive thriller with Decker back home in Burlington, Ohio, where his wife, Cassie, daughter, Molly and brother in law, Johnny, died. He is there to commemorate what would have been Molly's 14th birthday. This tragedy has driven Decker's fierce and implacable obsession to fight for justice. After earlier brain injuries, he has been gifted and cursed by hyperthesmia, which means he can forget nothing and synesthesia. At Molly's ...more
Matt
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
In another thrilling novel, David Baldacci places Amos Decker in the middle of a case that will require all his attention. While visiting his daughter’s grave, Amos Decker is approached by a man he put away for murder over a decade ago. Released for compassionate reasons, the man professes that his conviction was wrong and that Decker needs to reevaluate the work he did when serving with the local police department. Now, armed with a task and reunited with his former partner, Decker is trying to ...more
Phrynne
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2019
I love Amos Decker so the moment I saw this book on the bookshop shelves I bought it, came home, and settled down in my favourite chair for a really good read. And it was good, very good in fact.

Amos is struggling badly. Had she lived he would have been celebrating his daughter's birthday and he is blind sided with grief for his dead wife and child. He is also experiencing very strange symptoms from his brain condition, and he feels the need to be away from his friends and suffer on his own. Luc
Tim
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Perhaps Mr. Decker's character is played out. Perhaps Mr. Baldacci has run out of interesting writing ideas as this story is a near snoozer. 3 of 10 star zzz
Nilufer Ozmekik
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This fast paced, smart, well developed, gripping crime thriller which brings back one of my favorite book characters, Amos Decker a.k.a. “Memory Man”.
Remembering everything is a great gift for solving murders, handling loose ends by bringing back the images you stocked ( like unlocking your personal cloud which full of memories). But also can be curse to remember your loved ones’ taking away from you. It was like living a nightmare over and over again.
This time Decker goes back to his hometown
Barbara
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it

In this 5th book in the 'Amos Decker' series, the detective re-investigates a multiple murder that occurred 13 years ago. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

Former Burlington, Ohio homicide detective Amos Decker is now a consultant for the FBI. His partner is Agent Alex Jamison, whom he first met when she was a journalist, and who's now his (platonic) roommate.

Decker is assisted in his investigative work by a condition called hyperthymesia, which was caused by a massive head injury when
Monnie
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author is one of my all-time favorites (meaning anything he writes, I want to read). And from the start four books ago, his "Memory Man" series was a big hit with me. This one, the fifth, adds another five-star entry.

Detective Amos Decker is a very intriguing character; as a result of a football injury, he developed hyperthymesia, which causes him to remember every detail of every single day (whether he wants to or not) as well as synesthia abilities - associating colors with people and obj
*TANYA*
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can you ever go wrong when reading a David Baldacci book?? Nope, not in this case. Once again he has written a FANTASTIC story. By far one of my favorite series of all time. Very entertaining and you don’t even have to start at the beginning because you get a quick synopsis of the characters backstory. I’m smitten with Amos Decker, lol.
Andrew Smith
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Amos Decker, a cop who also done some work with the FBI, is visiting his home town of Burlington, Ohio on his daughter’s birthday. Well, more accurately it’s his late daughter as she and her mother, Decker’s beloved wife, were brutally murdered some while ago. As he sits by the grave he’s visited by a man he thought he’d never see again. Meryl Hawkins was the subject of Decker’s first murder investigation as a police officer and he was subsequently sent down for life, for the murder of four peop ...more
Adrienne
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-long-ago
Read long ago. Excellent. Unputdownable.
Andrea
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
This is a sad day, and it pains me to do this, but this did not feel like Baldacci's other books. I am a bit disappointed, to be honest :(
Bicky
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
David Baldacci has written many mediocre books but the Amos Decker series has been consistently outstanding. This is a series which meets the requirements of the readers of both thrillers and police procedurals.

This novel, the fifth in the series, is excellent. It opens with Decker visiting what was his hometown to be by his daughter’s graveside, where he is confronted by Meryl Hawkins with the accusation that Decker was responsible for his unjust conviction for murder of four people (two adults
James Fitzgerald
May 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I GIVE IT MAYBE 2.5 STARS I know I am going against the 4-5 star ratings that the other people who have written their reviews and comments The first 1/2 of the book was a little slow The second half was boring and the ending was ridiculous. Book is not worth the time or money very disappointed.
I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS BOOK
Lou
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amos Decker is back with a bang in the fifth instalment of the series in which Mr Baldacci shows his page-turning prowess with this deliciously addictive delicacy. It's a complex, beautifully constructed suspense fest and the tension is palpable throughout. Everything just works so superbly and because of that I fell hook, line and sinker very early on. Baldacci has that uncanny knack of knowing exactly what his readers want and provides it to them in spades.

Decker is a fascinating creation but
Natalie M
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t quite decide if this was a four or five star crime thriller.

The highly unique character Amos Decker returns for instalment numbed five in this Baldacci series. The book is a highly complex, intriguing and well-crafted read. There are multiple interesting, well-developed characters, some from past novels and some of whom are new. The plot is insanely clever and despite the many facets, easy to follow.

The conundrum for me was the ending. With such a vast and multifaceted crime there re
Jim
"old sins cast long shadows"

Following the events of The Fallen Amos Decker, "The Memory Man", makes a side trip to his hometown of Burlington, Ohio with his partner Alex Jamison. He is there to visit the graves of his wife Cassie and daughter Molly. It is Molly's birthday and Amos is suffering. Torn between the past and the present. It is there, in his grief, that he is visited by a ghost.

His name is Meryl Hawkins and he is a convicted murderer. In fact he is the first murderer that Decker helpe
Suzanne
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating roller coaster ride of a book. I love David Baldacci books, especially the Amos Decker series, because his plots move at a great pace but also the stories seem to have the perfect amount of complexity. He takes you in many directions in his stories. Love them!
Gary
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in the Amos Decker series by author David Baldacci. I have really enjoyed reading this series featuring Amos Decker, a man who is no ordinary person and due to a football injury caused by a severe head trauma now has one of the most exceptional brains in the world. His injury left him with total recall, hence the memory man. Great premise.
In this story Amos Decker returns to his hometown of Burlington Ohio, where he is approached by Meryl Hawkins. Hawkins was the first man
The Real Book Spy
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amos Decker, the Memory Man, is back in another twisting thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author David Baldacci (Long Road to Mercy, 2018, etc.).

By now, readers know his story. Years back, the Hulk-sized Amos Decker suffered a bone-crushing helmet-to-helmet hit during his first play in the NFL, rendering him unable to forget anything, ever. Not only is every memory seared permanently into his brain—a medical condition known as hyperthymesia—for good, but the way Decker’s brain sees a
Val
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, 2019, crime
I have been utterly WILD about this series since the first book. I've loved Decker - both the parts about him that are "broken" as well as the parts that compensate. Redemption didn't really grab me, however. The plot seemed to be rather off in the left field. It got on my nerves when Decker kept hustling across a room or hustling out of a room. (Cue the disco music, lol.) It also started to grate on me a bit when the characters kept roaring at each other. (Cue the lions.) It felt as though Deck ...more
Deb
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5. It seemed a little slow in the beginning but picked up nicely
Skip
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Amos Decker is back in his hometown, visiting the grave of his murdered daughter, feeling guilty for not protecting her or her mother Cassie when it mattered, when he is approached by Meryl Hawkins, a man he helped send to prison for murder claiming his innocence. Hawkins was released from a private prison because he is dying of cancer, but is shot to death in his hotel room before Decker decides to listen to his story. Ignoring his FBI orders to return, Amos starts to investigate whether he and ...more
Mandy White
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, read-in-2019
I love Amos Decker! Back in his hometown again investigating his first ever murder case again. I did. It want this book to end, I was really enjoying it and did not pick the ending at all. If you haven't started this series you really do need to. Great story!!
Annie
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
This is one of those series if you like the protagonist, you'll continue to read every new book. I imagine there will be a following for Amos Decker, like Harry Bosch, Jack Reacher, and Stephanie Plum.
Shirl Kennedy
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm losing interest in this series. Book seemed to drag on and on.
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
3 stars:

-This book has it good and okay.
-I feel sorry for Decker for what happen to him. It can be hard to let go. Especially when it comes to guilt with grief.
-Why did the author pick Russia? I hope the author does not go into political rant like others authors are doing. There has been enough in the media about Russia as well all know.

Note:
Forget to add. With his brain injury and grief, I can see why Decker piss folks off. He does that to me as well. I have to remember how he copes(finding th
David Putnam
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a great deal. Great story (until the end was hoping for something more realistic), great characters. With all the story happening in a small town it has the feel of a locked door mystery. There is a lot happening with many suspects and an equal number of clues. Baldacci seems to follow Chandler's method, when the story slows down drop another body. There are plenty of bodies dropped here but not in excess, just enough to service the plot. This book had me all the way and I trul ...more
kartik narayanan
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Redemption is a great book because it focuses on Amos Decker's faults. (and it is actually a redeeming followup to the steaming pile that was 'Long Road to Mercy')

Amos Decker has been setup in the series as a sort of detective savant. And I have to confess that I like the books where he detects the shit out of the crimes. So it comes as a refreshing change to see his greatest mistake come to the fore. And like the blurb mentions, could he have sent an innocent man to prison?

Throughout the book,
Diane
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Baldacci has done it again. The uniqueness of the character Amos Decker kept me reading each page faster and faster. Soaking up the details, twisting the plot eventually revealing the finish in the final pages.
I do not give storylines or details in my reviews. Trust me...if you like Baldacci and want to delve into good stories with lovely verbal descriptions, a twisted plot with some serious stop and think moments... pick up this latest book.

Carolyn
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 5th book in the Memory Man series, and have read them all for their in-depth, interesting characterizations and detailed investigative work. Adam Decker is the Memory Man and his detection skills and bravery are beyond reproach. This is a riveting series of detective work and personal growth.

For those not yet familiar with this unique detective, here is some background. Detective. Amos Decker was the first from his town to make a Pro football team. On his very first play, he was tack

• The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18)
  • The Guardians
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • The New Girl (Gabriel Allon #19)
  • Unsolved (Invisible, #2)
  • Backlash (Scot Harvath #19)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • Run Away
  • Camino Winds (Camino Island #2)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • The Cornwalls are Gone (Amy Cornwall, #1)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • The Inn
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, "because every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; it was subsequ ...more

Amos Decker (6 books)
  • Memory Man (Amos Decker, #1)
  • The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)

Articles featuring this book

Get ready for a new season of murder, intrigue, snooping neighbors, suspicious relatives, and all-around nefarious goings-on! Yep, it's...
“He got into the car thinking that people were interesting. Sometimes they just couldn’t distinguish the truth from bullshit. Sometimes they didn’t want to. It was often easier just to believe a lie.” 1 likes
“autopilot,” 0 likes